IRC chat logs for #ltsp on irc.freenode.net (webchat)


Channel log from 17 September 2008   (all times are UTC)

00:00
<cyberorg>
yeah, you masochistic people :P
00:02siji has joined #ltsp
00:03
<siji>
jan, ping
00:04
<johnny>
cyberorg, i hate dist upgrades or whatever you call em
00:04
<siji>
cyberorg, are you there
00:05
<cyberorg>
siji, yes
00:05
<siji>
hello we are thinking to develop a GUI tool for LTSP
00:06
hi,cyberorg
00:06
<cyberorg>
siji, http://en.opensuse.org/LTSP/Quick_start/Easy-LTSP
00:06
<siji>
but in mail list i saw lot of discussions about this
00:06
cyberorg, i had gone through it
00:07
<cyberorg>
siji, ok, i'll be free in an hour
00:07
<siji>
ok
00:07
pls ping me then
00:12* vagrantc chuckles at running icewm as a localapp
00:13
<vagrantc>
pretty much nothing running on the server
00:36
i guess that's a simple way of doing authenticated local logins...
00:41vagrantc has quit IRC
00:44gonzaloaf_laptop has joined #ltsp
00:49
<cyberorg>
siji, ping
00:56mistik1 has quit IRC
00:57mistik1 has joined #ltsp
01:06
<siji>
hi cyberorg
01:07
cyberorg,ping
01:08
<cyberorg>
siji, pong
01:08
<siji>
ok
01:08
we are working with LTSP to enable it in BOSS operating System
01:09
<cyberorg>
yeah heard from amol
01:09
<siji>
BOSS-Bharath Oeprating System Solutions, by Govt of India
01:09
ok
01:09
so now we are thinking about to make a user friendly interface for it
01:09
BOSS is a debian base system
01:10
and at the begining was thinking to develop the GUI frm scratch
01:11
but while i was gong through mail lists i saw suse's gui tool
01:12
<cyberorg>
siji, debian etch package here http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/server:/ltsp/Debian_Etch/all/
01:12
should work on boss
01:12
<siji>
oh ok
01:12
let me try then
01:12
tks,will get back soon
01:17deavid has joined #ltsp
01:19mikkel has joined #ltsp
01:23Q-FUNK has joined #ltsp
01:32ATA_Dark_Shadow has joined #ltsp
01:32gate_keeper_ has joined #ltsp
01:54indradg_ has quit IRC
01:55indradg_ has joined #ltsp
01:57Eghie has joined #ltsp
01:59Pascal_1 has joined #ltsp
02:02
<Pascal_1>
bonjour
02:58bobby_C has joined #ltsp
04:37amol1 has joined #ltsp
04:38
<amol1>
sbalneav, now i am able to boot at client but getting white screen only
04:39
cyberorg,ogra,johnny now i am able to boot at client but getting white screen only
04:50
sbalneav, how to get llogin screen at client side?
04:52
<siji>
amol1,Just check whether your xdmcp is enabled or not
04:53
go to gdm.conf
04:53
and enable xdmcp true
04:53
<ogra>
siji, ltsp5 doesnt use XDMCP since 3 years anymore
04:54
<siji>
oh ok
04:54
<amol1>
siji:xdmcp is enabled..
04:59
ogra,is any problem in lts.conf for not getting login screen at client?
04:59
<ltsppbot>
"amol1" pasted "lts.conf" (9 lines) at http://pastebot.ltsp.org/78
04:59
<ogra>
XSERVER=aut isnt needed, thats the default
04:59
RUNLEVEL=2 is ignored
04:59
<cyberorg>
amol1, SCREEN_07=ldm
05:00
<ogra>
if your server is the same as the bootserver SERVER isnt needed either
05:00
and if you drop all SCREEN_nn entries you should get ldm
05:00
<amol1>
ogra, mine is same server
05:00
<ogra>
no need to set SCREEN_07
05:00
X_COLOR_DEPTH=16 is default on debian afaik
05:00
so just remove the lts.conf
05:00
then it should work
05:01
<amol1>
ogra, remove complete lts.conf or just comment contents of it?
05:01
<ogra>
remove it
05:01
yu should always tyr without lts.conf fist on ltsp5
05:02
its only used to override the autodetected values
05:02siji has quit IRC
05:03
<amol1>
ogra,after running Xorg -configure and then startx , i got only xterm now i will try without lts.conf
05:04
<ogra>
why did you run Xorg -configure ? and where ?
05:05daduke has joined #ltsp
05:06
<amol1>
ogra, i did this at client by doing ctrl-alt-f2 to get login screen
05:06
<ogra>
ah
05:06
didnt it come up with X by default ?
05:07
(it should)
05:07
<amol1>
ogra, it came but i was not getting why only blank white screen is gettin so was a try to get login screnn
05:08
<ogra>
right, but if oyu have X there is no need to configure that :)
05:08
the problem lies elsewhere then
05:08
probably your ldm theme is broken
05:09
<amol1>
ogra, hot to know what is problem?
05:09
ogra, how to know theme is broken?
05:10
<ogra>
check if ldm is running ... if you are on the white screen go to tty1 and look with "ps ax|grep ldm"
05:16
<amol1>
ogra,i will check without lts.conf will come back with result..thanks for help
05:16
<ogra>
if you see an ldm process it's definately the theme
05:20amol has joined #ltsp
05:21
<amol>
ogra,after removing lts.conf ..client system shows Xdialog not found,either install Xdialog or configure sdm for autologin
05:22
<ogra>
sdm ?
05:22
thats totally broken
05:23* ogra saw that error message for a very broken ltsp package in debian that was fixed long ago
05:23
<amol>
ogra, ldm is not running
05:23
<ogra>
no, it is likely not installed
05:23
run: dpkg -l sdm
05:23
on the client console
05:23
is sdm installed ?
05:23
(it shouldnt, it was removed from debian half a year ago)
05:24
<amol>
ogra, sdm-terminal is installed
05:24
<ogra>
sigh
05:24
not sure where your packages come from, but these ltsp packages are so insecure, you definately shouldnt use them
05:25
this error was fixed in december in debian
05:25
<amol>
ogra, ohhhh
05:25
<ogra>
sdm doesnt even exist anymore in the debian archive
05:26
<amol>
ogra, i will use new upgraded package from debian and then try
05:26
ogra, or any option to solve this?
05:27
<ogra>
well, even if you remove sdm and install ldm in the chroot (which would probably make that work) it leaves you with a lot of security issues and bugs in the version you have
05:28
<amol>
ogra, what is sdm and ldm/
05:28
<ogra>
please ask the BOSS developers to update these packages
05:28
ldm is the login manager
05:28
<amol>
both are display manager like gnome for ltsp?
05:28
<ogra>
sdm was a login manager as well that hasnt been developed for four years and ldm includes all its functions since two
05:29
ldm == ltsp display manager
05:30
all tools and features in ltsp need ldm
05:30
<amol>
ogra, in boss repository they have ldm as well
05:30
<ogra>
which version ?
05:30
should be 2.0.5 or 2.0.6 *at least*
05:30
<amol>
ogra, Version: 2:0.1~bzr20071217-1
05:31
<ogra>
sigh
05:31
thats from december
05:31
your packages have *huge* scurity holes
05:31
<amol>
ogra, yes they have old repository..i have informed them to upgrade reo
05:32
<ogra>
everyone can log in from anywhere and hack your system with that ldm version, it had some massive security holes
05:33
<amol>
ogra, security hole is not matter for this stage to me i am a learner..but surely at implementation i will use upgraded ldm
05:33
<ogra>
there were other bugs as well
05:33
it might be unstable
05:37
<cyberorg>
amol, it not working properly for you itself is a good reason to update :)
05:38
amol, it would also be good idea to submit patches of all the improvements boss has done to incorporate it directly in debian, so all you have to maintain in future is branding
05:39amol1 has quit IRC
05:40
<cyberorg>
that was too preachy :)
06:08Nubae has quit IRC
06:08Nubae has joined #ltsp
06:14randra has joined #ltsp
06:20Pascal_1 has left #ltsp
06:24Egyptian[Home] has quit IRC
06:44Egyptian[Home] has joined #ltsp
06:44ogra has quit IRC
06:45ogra has joined #ltsp
06:48
<amol>
ogra, i have installed new ltsp package from debian repository then same method as in wiki.debian.org/LTSP but still same error coming i.e.Xdialog not found
06:51
<ogra>
dpkg -l ltsp-server
06:51
what version do you have installed now ?
06:52
should be somethig like 5.1.10 or higher
06:52* cyberorg is now convinced that prebuilt images was the best idea
06:52
<ogra>
err
06:52
cyberorg, that would break massively on that setup
06:52
which is exactly why we dont want it
06:53
<cyberorg>
ogra, we could use ubuntu tarball on suse
06:53
<ogra>
should be soethng like 5.1.24 or higher, sorry
06:53
sure, you were lucky
06:53
we had a *lot* of probs with people using these tarballs
06:55
if you build a package for your distro from the version you released with it anyway and that contains a prebuilt image, there is surely nothing wrong with it
06:55
but it defeats the upstream purpose if you start using tehm cross distro
06:55
thats ltsp 4.x
06:56
you never konw what happens if there are differences in ltsp-update-image/ltsp-update-kernels etc
06:56
<cyberorg>
i only mean that distro packager release tarballs for their distro so all the package versions remain same, warren does that for fedora too
06:56
<ogra>
since these are supposed to use the distro specific setups in the chroot
06:56
he doesnt release tarballs to be used on ubuntu
06:57
and i know he wouldnt dare to
06:57
our kaernel naming is different, his maintenance tools wouldnt work
06:57
<cyberorg>
ogra, nope, but the distro packager doing the tarball release for their target distro saves so many people time and energy building their own
06:58
<ogra>
sure, i wouldnt complain about that
06:58
but please dont start cross distro builds of such a thing :)
06:58
<cyberorg>
ogra, dont worry, we wont :)
06:58
<ogra>
thats not how ltsp5 was designed ... its supposed to be integrated in the distro its building on and to use the available backend tools
06:59
<amol>
ogra, sorry for late response i am using 5.1.10-2
06:59elisboa has joined #ltsp
06:59
<ogra>
amol, lenny has ltsp_5.1.24-1
07:00
amol, also are you sure ltsp-build-client used the lenny repos ?
07:00
i doubt thats working without modifying debootstrap
07:00
<amol>
ogra,as well it has 5.1.10-2
07:01
<ogra>
you really should make sure the BOSS guys update and fix all this stuff
07:01
it will take you ages to get that right
07:01
solving one prob will only expose the next one
07:01
<amol>
ogra, i have connected to repository and installed ltsp from debian,and client generation from BOSS
07:01
<ogra>
right
07:02
that still pulls you in the BOSS version of ltsp-client-core
07:02
which is the broken one
07:02* ogra has to go afk now
07:05deavid has quit IRC
07:05
<sbalneav>
Morning all!!
07:08
<amol>
sbalneav good morning
07:09
<sbalneav>
Morning amol
07:12
<amol>
sbalneav, at last i am able to create ltsp-build-client and getting booted at client..
07:12alkisg has joined #ltsp
07:13
<amol>
sbalneav, but as you told BOSS using old packages i am getting some old problems of ltsp
07:14
sbalneav, .client system shows Xdialog not found,either install Xdialog or configure sdm for autologin now i have installed ldm by doing chroot
07:16
ogra, cyberorg sbalneav, what a magic it works
07:18
<cyberorg>
amol, congratulations :)
07:21toscalix has joined #ltsp
07:23tjikkun_work has joined #ltsp
07:25cliebow has joined #ltsp
07:25
<cliebow>
good grief..2.6.24.19 locks up too..
07:42Colvile_ has joined #ltsp
07:46amol has quit IRC
07:46
<Colvile_>
hi. I have a working etherboot-disk, but it don't work in older computer. It says: boot from (N)etwork or Quit pcibios_init: entry in high memory, giving up pci_init: no bios32 detected probing isa nic... <sleep> Do anybody know, what is problem.
07:48toscalix has quit IRC
07:52
<alkisg>
Colvile, I've just build one based on gpxe (newer version of etherboot), want to try it?
07:52
==> Colvile_
07:53K_O-Gnom has joined #ltsp
07:55
<Colvile_>
alkisg  why not
07:56mikkel has quit IRC
07:56
<alkisg>
OK, link: http://users.sch.gr/alkisg/tosteki/index.php?topic=1451.0
07:57
Click on "grubgpxe.7z" (the forum is in greek, the disk in english)
07:57
Then unzip grubgpxe.7z and "dd if=grubgpxe.ima of=/dev/fd0"
08:10
<_UsUrPeR_>
good morning all
08:13Gadi has joined #ltsp
08:15
<Gadi>
sbalneav: ping
08:21
<sbalneav>
Gadi: Pong
08:22
<Gadi>
so, I was thinking that for hackfest, we should bring a shuttle case with virtualbox on it and load it up with the various distros represented and use it to test things
08:22
what dya think? - I ask you as someone non-biased arriving early :)
08:22
I know every distro will have his/her own lappie
08:23
<sbalneav>
Sounds like a plan to me.
08:23
<Gadi>
but, it might be nice to have a common box?
08:23
<sbalneav>
I know jammcq had a shuttle box at one point, and we're driving, so I'll ask if he's still got it.
08:24
<Gadi>
okie dokie - I hope we can prep it a bit ahead of time, so we don't waste too much time on setup in Maine
08:24
I will bring some thin clients, so we can test on real hardware, too
08:24
as opposed to vm's
08:24
<sbalneav>
Wow, 85 Bn$ bailout for aig.
08:25
<Gadi>
yeah- DOW was up 150 pts yesterday because of it
08:25
<sbalneav>
You guys are getting positively socialist down there :)
08:25
<Gadi>
u bet - but, I don't think I'll see a handout
08:25
:)
08:25
<sbalneav>
I see Canada's takeover plan for the US continues apace.
08:26
Once you get universal healthcare, then we send down the attack beavers :)
08:26
<Gadi>
Oy, Canada....
08:26
<sbalneav>
Well of course YOU wont see a handout
08:26
You're a small business that manages it's finances responsibly.
08:28
Haven't heard too much out of Bush lately. I assume he's keeping a low profile.
08:28
<ogra>
caring for texas i bet
08:28
<sbalneav>
Sorry, politics. Betweem your election and my election, I'm O.D.ing. :)
08:28
<ogra>
but doesnt need the promo anymore
08:29* ogra still has a year until next election
08:29
<Gadi>
ogra: do you think intrepid will work on virtualbox by hackfest?
08:29
;)
08:29
<ogra>
Gadi, it works now
08:29
just slower
08:29
<Gadi>
ah - they fixed the bug
08:29
<ogra>
(i gave you the bootoption a month ago, no ?)
08:29
no
08:29
<Gadi>
ah, ok
08:30
<ogra>
its there on fedora and ubuntu
08:30
<Gadi>
just with the boot option
08:30
<ogra>
right
08:30
switching off the virtual support in the client kernel
08:30
(vbox client, not ltsp)
08:30* Gadi nods
08:30
<ogra>
i have the prob that i dont have recent vbox modules yet
08:31
so i cant test anyway
08:31* ogra is to busy with work atm
08:31
<Gadi>
I'd like to have a shuttle box at hackfest, and configure it to boot virtual clients and real clients
08:31
<ogra>
though the intrepid packages should work ok for testing and debugging atm
08:31
<Gadi>
so, we can have a solid test platform
08:31
<ogra>
yeah, i saw that above, sounds like a good plan
08:32
<Gadi>
cool
08:32
<ogra>
btw, anyone seen https://launchpad.net/ltsp-cluster ?
08:33
stgraber has cleaned up a lot ... we should include it in the upstream branch once he's finished
08:33
<Gadi>
ah, cool
08:33
<ogra>
at least the cluster client i looked at yesterday looks very nice
08:33
only a handfull changes to the upstream code
08:35mhterres has joined #ltsp
08:37Colvile_ has quit IRC
08:41frin has joined #ltsp
08:43
<frin>
hello, I am using kubuntu, ltsp 5, and am having problem with certain keys... even at client's login prompt I can't press special non-english non-alphanumeric keys, AND key J (shift+J works though), any ideas? those keys don't work even when logged in, keyboard is not faulty
08:44CAN-o-SPAM has joined #ltsp
08:46
<sbalneav>
frin: What have you got your keyboard selected as in KDE?
08:48
<Gadi>
ogra: it looks like only the client and packaging are in lp
08:48
<ogra>
?
08:48
<Gadi>
ltsp-cluster
08:48
<ogra>
oh, for cluster
08:48
yeah
08:48
<frin>
sbalneav: setxkbmap -model pc104 -layout si
08:48
<ogra>
Gadi, francis and stgraber will be at the hackfest ...
08:49
<Gadi>
cool
08:49
there are definitely things we can merge
08:49
<ogra>
i hope we can get their stuff included then
08:49
yeah
08:49
<Gadi>
there are some parts that we prolly can't
08:49
<ogra>
the hacked up ltsp_config needs some love
08:49
<Gadi>
but, maybe we can find a better way
08:49
and udev rules
08:49
<ogra>
right
08:49
but these can be handled differently
08:49
<Gadi>
right
08:52
<sbalneav>
I'm looking over cdpinger right now.
08:56
<stgraber>
the idea is to have an easy way to install the cluster packages on top of standard LTSP, we currently have to overwrite one file and that's the part I want to solve first.
08:56
ltsp-cluster-client is currently the only packages I have tested with Intrepid, I'll be uploading the others as I test and clean them
08:56
<ogra>
right, we just need some special casing
09:02
<stgraber>
some of our users at the office are betatesting the Intrepid code and LDM so we can have a list of wanted changes by the hackfest. I also have a list of ugly things we are doing and I don't want to keep that'll need a clean solution.
09:02
main issue being that our users use KDE and not gnome :(
09:02bobby_C has quit IRC
09:09Blinny has joined #ltsp
09:19Subhodip has joined #ltsp
09:20
<sbalneav>
stgraber: Well, we start Xsession after login, so that shouldn't matter. Are you wanting a Qt greeter?
09:24* ogra glares a scott
09:24
<ogra>
do you plan to start QT hacking ? :)
09:25
<sbalneav>
Oh, heck no.
09:25
<ogra>
heh
09:26
<sbalneav>
But maybe we could find/enlist/bribe/coerce/force a Qt aware developer to write us one :)
09:26
<ogra>
sure :)
09:27
i wouldnt object :)
09:27
<sbalneav>
I can just barely function in the Gnome toolkit, and I never learned C++
09:27
<ogra>
but since even opensuse swithed to gnome ...
09:27
<sbalneav>
So Qt would be too big a hurdle for me
09:27
<ogra>
i think qt is easy if you are willing to learn it :)
09:28
it doesnt have all the hbox/vbox insanities gnome has
09:28
but you still need to touch C++
09:28
anyway, need to rush out
09:29jammcq has joined #ltsp
09:29
<jammcq>
good morning friends
09:29
<sbalneav>
Morning jammcq!
09:30
<monteslu>
did opensuse's switch have anything to do with miguel being an employee?
09:30
shame that they moved to an inferior desktop :)
09:32
<sbalneav>
twm's the only good desktop.
09:32
<monteslu>
twm-gl
09:32jonnor has joined #ltsp
09:32
<monteslu>
gotta use my geforce 9000 series for something
09:33
<jammcq>
what desktop did they move to?
09:33
<cyberorg>
monteslu, opensuse is the only distro that has icewm, fvwm, kde3/4, gnome and xfce on its official media
09:33
<monteslu>
gnome according to ogra
09:33
<jammcq>
I use Gnome and Like it.
09:34
<monteslu>
cyberorg, most distros have all of them in a repository. But testing only ever seems to occur on the default one
09:34
<jammcq>
most distros are using Gnome as the default
09:34
<monteslu>
shame
09:34
<jammcq>
pfff
09:34
<monteslu>
hah
09:34
<jammcq>
desktop wars belong in another channel
09:34
<monteslu>
ok, how about them pistons?
09:35
<jammcq>
now yer talking
09:35
<cyberorg>
jammcq, good idea :)
09:35
you guys saw my flying machines?
09:36
<jammcq>
huh?
09:36
<stgraber>
sbalneav: the problem is things like sound (pulseaudio) and localdevice (ltspfs), those two work out of the box with gnome but not with kde
09:36
<cyberorg>
jammcq, very OT http://dev.compiz-fusion.org/~cyberorg/
09:37
those fly in my office
09:37
<monteslu>
and they work out of the box, becuase of inertia behind that desktop. not because it's a better desktop... but, like jammcq said
09:37
<jammcq>
wow
09:38
<stgraber>
sbalneav: we are also planning to integrate FreeNX with ldm as we are already using it for people connecting from the outside
09:39
<sbalneav>
stgraber: Well, localdevices should work with kde, I just don't think anyone's done the patches yet tohave stuff "pop up" when mounted in /media
09:39
As for the pulse, doesn't KDE's sound arch support pulse?
09:39
<stgraber>
not yet, KDE4 will
09:40
<cyberorg>
sbalneav, there is a script in examples that we use, creates icons on desktop
09:40
<stgraber>
anyway, we are working on Intrepid and our next stable release will be Jaunty so that'll be kde4 anyway
09:42
<jammcq>
hey, can anybody tell me if Perl 5.10 will be in intrepid?
09:42
perl -v, if you happen to have an intrepid box running
09:44
<stgraber>
perl | 5.10.0-11.1ubuntu2 | intrepid | source, amd64, i386
09:44
<jammcq>
ah, cool
09:44
thanks
09:44
<stgraber>
np
09:47
<sbalneav>
brb, more coffee
10:00jarlo has joined #ltsp
10:03Eghie has quit IRC
10:03Q-FUNK has quit IRC
10:10gate_keeper_ has quit IRC
10:17K_O-Gnom has quit IRC
10:18
<Gadi>
stgraber: when you say "integrate FreeNX", do you mean just having a screen script that runs nxclient, or do you mean merging it into ldm (with ldm greeter as frontend)?
10:20K_O-Gnom has joined #ltsp
10:24alkisg has quit IRC
10:38mhterres has quit IRC
10:39mhterres has joined #ltsp
10:41mhterres has joined #ltsp
10:44gonzaloaf_laptop has quit IRC
10:49toto has joined #ltsp
10:50toto is now known as Pascal_1
10:50tjikkun_work has quit IRC
10:50ogra has quit IRC
10:51Pascal_1 has quit IRC
10:57Lns has quit IRC
10:58vagrantc has joined #ltsp
11:00ATA_Dark_Shadow has quit IRC
11:00Q-FUNK has joined #ltsp
11:02
<stgraber>
Gadi: we plan to use only part of NX, that's starting the nxproxy both side, then start the session in the nxproxy
11:02
Gadi: so we'll be able to use the suspend feature, compression and similar things without needing a complete NX client
11:11
<vagrantc>
wow.
11:11
stgraber: totally free software, then?
11:22
<Gadi>
stgraber: what about nxagent?
11:22
do you need that, too?
11:22
I think that is what handles the packet dance stuff
11:23
btw: for nxproxy client side, I think we'll have to split out X from ldm at that point
11:23
another good reason to split it out
11:28* vagrantc needs to take a look at gadi's branch...
11:35* Gadi has no working branch with X split out as yet, vagrantcs
11:35
<Gadi>
*vagrantc
11:35
hehe
11:35
I have been too busy to get it going
11:35
<vagrantc>
what was the branch you posted not so long ago?
11:36
<Gadi>
that just added the I* scripts
11:36
in rc.d/
11:36
<vagrantc>
ah yes.
11:36
<Gadi>
that's an easy one
11:36
one line of C and a few lines of shell
11:37Subhodip has quit IRC
11:37* vagrantc can't find the email...
11:38
<Gadi>
https://code.launchpad.net/~gideon/ltsp/ldm-trunk-gadi
11:46spectra has joined #ltsp
11:49
<vagrantc>
Gadi: i'd say go ahead and merge that... or did anyone have objections?
11:51
<Gadi>
well, I'd like a few testers first
11:51
I don't like to just merge
11:51
:)
11:51
<vagrantc>
what could possibly go wrong? :)
11:52
<Q-FUNK>
hell could freeze over and USA admit that they and Russia are the axis of evil?
11:52
<Nubae>
I wonder, what is the best way to incorporate laptops to the ltsp environment
11:52Pascal_1 has joined #ltsp
11:52
<Nubae>
so that people still have their data when they take the laptop home
11:53
once could do nfs sharing and ldap from the server, but thats not really ltsp anymore and the power savings and centralised management go out the window
11:53
there must be a better way
11:54
<vagrantc>
Q-FUNK: for some reason, that just reminded me of: http://www.cthulhu.org/
11:55
<Q-FUNK>
vagrantc: oh, he will be back. he promised! ;)
11:55Lns has joined #ltsp
11:55
<Gadi>
Nubae: make a Sync to Laptop launch icon
11:55
or app
11:56
<Nubae>
Gadi: ok, so when the laptop disconnects it syncs data?
11:56
<Gadi>
that folks can press to sync home dirs with lappie home dir (if it is Linux) or Documents to My Documents (if it is Windows)
11:56
<vagrantc>
Gadi: so, that's for stuff like running the numlock setting scripts and such?
11:56
<Nubae>
so they use ltsp when its available but local when not
11:56
<Gadi>
I would do it when user logs out or when they press a button
11:57
<vagrantc>
Gadi: the ldm patch
11:57
<Nubae>
right when they log out would be nice
11:57
<Gadi>
vagrantc: yeah - numlock, setxkbmap, etc
11:57
<Nubae>
so whats needed on the client end... same user as ltsp user I suppose
11:57
<Gadi>
Nubae: nope
11:58
Nubae: all that's needed is for ltspfs to mount thei hdd
11:58
*their
11:58
<Nubae>
ok
11:58
<Gadi>
actually, wait
11:58
yeah
11:59
if you want to preserve ownership, you need to know the uid/gid of the laptop user
11:59
or you can not care
11:59
<Nubae>
well problem is that it needs to synch 2 ways
11:59
from laptop to server as well
11:59
<Gadi>
right
12:00gbolte has joined #ltsp
12:00
<Nubae>
and it would be nice to sync gnome settings and firefox settings
12:00
<Gadi>
is it all Linux?
12:00
<Nubae>
yeah
12:00
would be an interesting project... surely a useful little script
12:01
<Gadi>
then, your script can look into the /etc/password file of the hdd
12:01
er, /etc/passswd
12:01
you know what I mean
12:01
if it is a local user
12:01
and pull the uid/gid
12:01
<Nubae>
the laptop or the server?
12:02
<Gadi>
(remember, ltspfs will mount the entire partition)
12:02
on the laptop
12:02
of course, now you need to be aware of how it is partitioned
12:02
:)
12:02
but, all that can be in a config file for your script
12:02
<Nubae>
right, but one can set rules for that... like having the same user as on the server
12:03
<Gadi>
right - or have a mapping
12:03
<Nubae>
how would mapping work?
12:03
<Gadi>
user "joe" on server == user "joseph" on laptop
12:03
<Nubae>
yeah, where I mean
12:04
<Gadi>
oh, in your config file
12:04
<Nubae>
ok, right
12:04
<Gadi>
your script will basically do this:
12:04
1. pull the uid/gid for the laptop user from the laptop hdd
12:04
2. sync the home dir for the server user to the laptop user (and vice versa)
12:05
3. modify the uid/gids as needed
12:06toscalix has joined #ltsp
12:06
<Nubae>
thanks, I'll give it a shot
12:06
<Gadi>
so, your config file should have things like directories to sync, which partition has the passwd file on the laptop, ...
12:07
then, you can also have a mapping file of server users to laptop users
12:07
<Nubae>
and for synching gnome settings and firefox settings, guess I need to go look where all that is held on the drives
12:08
<Gadi>
NOTE: Syncing data increases the possibility of data corruption, so make sure there are backups
12:08
<Nubae>
ok, and in theory, the distro on the laptop is irrelevant
12:08
right?
12:08
<Gadi>
hehe
12:08
for just docs, yeah
12:08
for settings, you may have different versions of software
12:09
<Nubae>
really, gnome and firefox differ across distros?
12:09
<Gadi>
gnome for sure
12:09
firefox possibly
12:09
<Nubae>
oh well, then its ubuntu only :-)
12:09* Gadi recalls the crazy days of fc1 to fc3 migrations
12:10
<Gadi>
where all the gnome stuff didn't migrate
12:10
Nubae: the "safest" approach would be to sync only the Documents folders
12:10
<Q-FUNK>
yikes
12:10
<Gadi>
and have people save to their Documents folder
12:11
<Nubae>
well, I guess testing can take out the kinks
12:11
still this will keep the 'cloud computing will take over the world, ltsp is a thing of the past' scaremongers at bay...
12:11
:-)
12:12
and this config file, it would be held on the laptop?
12:12
<Gadi>
no on the server
12:13
where your script is
12:13
<Nubae>
ah, doh!
12:15
mounting the laptop drive via ltspfs, this is turned off by default somewhere
12:15
<Gadi>
in the client's udev rules
12:15
*chroot's*
12:15
there is a REMOVABLE = 1
12:15
clause
12:15
<Nubae>
ok, so I could pass that from the script
12:17etyack has joined #ltsp
12:23Pascal_1 has left #ltsp
12:24
<etyack>
question about users in same group seeing local storage on every desktop. is there a fix for this in Fedora Core 9, other than individual groups?
12:25
<johnny>
no..
12:25
that is the way to do it afaik
12:25
it seems like it would be nice to tie it to consolekit somehow tho
12:25
<etyack>
if i recall this is an issue with gvfs correct?
12:26
<johnny>
not really
12:26
it manifests itself there tho
12:26
i don't know if consolekit solution woudl work, but i thought that was the point of consolekit
12:27
<sbalneav>
etyack: It's a problem with gvfs simply looking at the perms, and not actually doing an access() call to see if the stuff can actually be accessed.
12:28
the author of gvfs is reluctant to put in the access call, since it may hang on network filesystems
12:28
that are disconnected.
12:28
of course
12:28
<etyack>
is this a topic for BTS?
12:29
<sbalneav>
if the network share's disconnected
12:29
looking at the perms would have hung it anyway :)
12:29
but that's his reasoning.
12:29alkisg has joined #ltsp
12:29
<etyack>
this sure seems to affect a lot of people
12:29
<sbalneav>
I'll be re-doing my groups this weekend at legalaid to fix the problem.
12:29
<etyack>
i use common groups all the time
12:30
<sbalneav>
Apparently, that's the "old" way of doing things.
12:30
<etyack>
hmm. and the new way is?
12:30
<sbalneav>
Every user gets their own group, and functional groups are separate.
12:31
so instead of sbalneav:headoffice, now it's
12:31Subhodip has joined #ltsp
12:31
<sbalneav>
sbalneav:sbalneav
12:31
and headoffice:x:1000:sbalneav,user1,user2, etc
12:31
<etyack>
are you using sticky bits for file permissions?
12:32
<sbalneav>
I set the g+s for shared dirs, so all files are group owned by the same group, yes.
12:32wwx has quit IRC
12:32
<johnny>
sticky..
12:33
<etyack>
g+s is what i ment, sorry t is sticky
12:34johnny has left #ltsp
12:34wwx has joined #ltsp
12:35
<sbalneav>
I knew what you ment :)
12:35
<etyack>
no need to confuse others... you know me too well
12:35
<sbalneav>
It's worked well for us. In between some LTSP debugging, I've got a copy of my work's LDAP database here at home, and I'm just re-organizing things now.
12:36affen has joined #ltsp
12:39ahven has quit IRC
12:50Q-FUNK has quit IRC
12:56toscalix has quit IRC
13:02
<_UsUrPeR_>
warren: trying to get LTSP working in Fedora 10 alpha...
13:02
running the ltsp-server-initialise -y is no longer creating a bridge
13:03
and during initial testing, tftp does not seem to be working right, even though the client can pull an IP address.
13:04
yes, I have shut off iptables
13:05
<warren>
_UsUrPeR_: ltsp-server-initialize is totally unsupported
13:05
_UsUrPeR_: I didn't write it
13:05
_UsUrPeR_: I never use it
13:05
<_UsUrPeR_>
warren: oh! :D in that case.... have you given Fedora 10 a try yet? :P
13:05
<warren>
_UsUrPeR_: alpha is a bit old now
13:06
_UsUrPeR_: I'd try it again after beta is out
13:06
_UsUrPeR_: dependent mainly on kernel and X bugs I think
13:06
<_UsUrPeR_>
warren: yeah, I've noticed some weird stuff in there pertaining to assignment of IP addresses while installing
13:07
and it has been an adventure since then
13:09Pascal_1 has joined #ltsp
13:18johnny has joined #ltsp
13:19johnny is now known as Guest27752
13:23Eghie has joined #ltsp
13:25
<AlienX_>
warren: you're missing all the POS stuff over here ;)
13:25alkisg has left #ltsp
13:30Guest27752 is now known as johnny
13:33ace_suares has quit IRC
13:33ace_suares has joined #ltsp
13:36Q-FUNK has joined #ltsp
13:36
<warren>
AlienX_: what are you talking about?
13:37
<AlienX_>
warren: heh, I'm working with Bryan Smith
13:37
s/working/"working"
13:37
<johnny>
warren!
13:37
howdy
13:37
<warren>
I'm not doing so well health wise
13:37
<johnny>
:(
13:37
<warren>
surgery was mnoday
13:37
<johnny>
i was just gonna ask you how you were doing :(
13:37
<warren>
not good
13:37
<johnny>
moving towards being better?
13:38
or not sure yet?
13:39psycodad_ has quit IRC
13:39
<warren>
unclear at the moment
13:39
<johnny>
:(
13:39
<AlienX_>
best of luck to you
13:39
<johnny>
yeah..
13:40
<warren>
AlienX_: where do you work?
13:40
<AlienX_>
warren: HD for the moment
13:40
<Gadi>
warren: chicken soup...
13:40
with kreplach
13:40
<AlienX_>
warren: i was being completely facetious about you helping out.
13:47
<vagrantc>
Gadi: i think i'll upload to debian experimental with your rc.d/I* patch.
13:47
Gadi: but not commit upstream...
13:47
<johnny>
so what is the use case?
13:47
<Gadi>
ooh... does that mean you tested?
13:47
<vagrantc>
Gadi: well, i can test that it doesn't break other things.
13:48
<Gadi>
you can also test it by making a file like: I00xterm that launches xterm
13:48
<vagrantc>
oh yeah. will do that.
13:48
i've been wanting that anyways.
13:50
<warren>
vagrantc: why debian but not upstream?
13:50
<vagrantc>
LDM_EARLY_DEBUG_TERMINAL ...
13:50
warren: just easier to test
13:50
<johnny>
we need one earlier than the one now?
13:50
<vagrantc>
warren: will commit upstream if it works.
13:50
<johnny>
that one seems early enough
13:50
<vagrantc>
johnny: the one now doesn't happen until after login
13:51
johnny: so if you're trying to troubleshoot why login is failing...
13:51
<johnny>
ah
13:51
so.. is there a reason xdg autostart scripts wouldn't run when login in via ldm ?
13:51ace_suares has quit IRC
13:51
<cyberorg>
vagrantc, "Launch xterm" in ldm preference would be nice
13:51
<vagrantc>
cyberorg: optional, sure.
13:52
cyberorg: but giving a root terminal by default seems like a *bad* idea.
13:52
<cyberorg>
right
13:53
may be terminal like xdm has that displays /var/log/ldm.log?
13:53
non interactive
13:54Pascal_1 has quit IRC
13:54* warren back to sleep
13:55
<cyberorg>
warren, 'night :)
13:57
<johnny>
cyberorg, that's a neat idea
13:58psycodad_ has joined #ltsp
14:06Nubae has quit IRC
14:07Nubae has joined #ltsp
14:11ace_suares has joined #ltsp
14:15
<vagrantc>
Gadi: well, it basically works, although it X things seem to get displayed behind the greeter itself.
14:15
so should work fine for numlockx and such, but if you actually need something to get displayed to the user, it wouldn't work so well.
14:18
<Gadi>
you aren't running xterm in the background, are you?
14:18
<vagrantc>
Gadi: define in the background?
14:18
<Gadi>
with an amphersand
14:18
<vagrantc>
yeah, like that.
14:19
suppose it would be clearer to run without the &
14:19
<Gadi>
if you do not, then it should wait until you exit out of xterm before launching greeter
14:19
since there is no window manager, you cannot have both
14:20staffencasa has joined #ltsp
14:22
<vagrantc>
well, you can have both, it's just if they overlap you won't be able to see the other
14:23
<Gadi>
talk about symantics
14:25
<vagrantc>
but the greeter pretty much takes up the full screen
14:25
Gadi: also, once the window manager starts up, you can actually use the xterm
14:25
Gadi: that's how i knew it was working
14:25
<Gadi>
heh
14:25
<vagrantc>
Gadi: committed and pushed.
14:25
<Gadi>
cool - the next commit should be ripping out setxkbmap from the C code
14:25
:)
14:32Eghie has quit IRC
14:33Eghie has joined #ltsp
14:34Subhodip has quit IRC
14:35
<Lns>
This really isn't high-priority to me (as I'm sure I'm the one that sets priorities ;) ) but it'd be nice to have a dummy "Unmount volume" option on TCs' removable media. Even though it wouldn't do anything besides remove the icon, it would be nice to have it at least LOOK like standard mounted stuff.. it's always throwing me a bit off, and I'm sure it's confusing to others that don't understand how LTSP localdev stuff works at all
14:35Eghie has quit IRC
14:35
<Lns>
Just my $0.02... /me runs away now
14:36Pascal_1 has joined #ltsp
14:36Pascal_1 has left #ltsp
14:36
<Gadi>
Lns: that falls in line with ogra's merge of hal into the chroot... it'll happen, eventually
14:36
:)
14:36gate_keeper_ has joined #ltsp
14:36
<Gadi>
none too soon, also, with hal-aware Xorg imminent
14:37Eghie has joined #ltsp
14:39CAN-o-SPAM has quit IRC
14:46
<_UsUrPeR_>
Support for localapps will be appearing in ibex and fedora 10 right?
14:47
sorry, built-in support that is.
14:53
<johnny>
i think support for them.. but you'll have to manually configure it
14:54
ie: create your own .desktop entries for them
14:54
or modify existing ones
14:54
<_UsUrPeR_>
Ok. On another note, what's the tentative release for Fedora 10?
14:55
<johnny>
perhaps only warren knows
14:55
fedora seems under represented in ltsp
14:55
almost as under represented as gentoo
14:56
<_UsUrPeR_>
yeah
14:57psycodad_ has quit IRC
14:57psycodad_ has joined #ltsp
14:57derfian has joined #ltsp
14:57Blinny has quit IRC
15:03
<warren>
johnny: excuse me?
15:03
johnny: If you look at checkins I've been doing the majoriyt of the work upstream in the last year.
15:04
<johnny>
that's what i meant :)
15:04
YOU
15:04
just you :)
15:04
<warren>
The fedora schedule is public
15:04
<johnny>
i wasn't slagging you or anything
15:04
<_UsUrPeR_>
warren: I just looked here http://distrowatch.com/table.php?distribution=fedora and realized that was today
15:04
<warren>
_UsUrPeR_: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Releases/10/Schedule
15:05
_UsUrPeR_: what was toda?
15:05
<johnny>
see therey ou go _UsUrPeR_ .. altho a google search could have told you
15:05
<_UsUrPeR_>
:D
15:06
warren: are localapps supposed to be better supported in 10?
15:06
<warren>
_UsUrPeR_: yes
15:07
<_UsUrPeR_>
k cool
15:10fgiraldeau has joined #ltsp
15:10randra has quit IRC
15:10fgiraldeau has quit IRC
15:18K_O-Gnom has quit IRC
15:21Q-FUNK has quit IRC
15:29viking-ice has joined #ltsp
15:30jorgezer0 has joined #ltsp
15:32
<jorgezer0>
Anyone here works with LTSP in RedHat Enterprise 5?
15:34
<johnny>
nope
15:35
err nope, not me
15:35
we have nobody official from rhel , just fedora
15:36
<jorgezer0>
but a read about a solution do RHEL... and something about build the clint ond fedora...
15:37
do you know about this?
15:44
<johnny>
nope
15:44
never played with rhel except on dedicated web servers
15:47
<jorgezer0>
so... thanks...
15:48
<johnny>
try back later when more folks might be about
15:48jarlo has left #ltsp
15:51fie_wr0k has quit IRC
15:57etyack has quit IRC
16:02_UsUrPeR_ is now known as usurpAwAy
16:08joebaker has joined #ltsp
16:09spectra has quit IRC
16:12gord_ has joined #ltsp
16:20ace_suares has quit IRC
16:20ace_suares has joined #ltsp
16:21twinprism has quit IRC
16:21joebaker has left #ltsp
16:45japerry has joined #ltsp
16:47staffencasa has quit IRC
16:50gate_keeper_ has quit IRC
16:57
<Lns>
Gadi: oh thank you =) I didn't know that (re: hal in chroot)
17:00mhterres has quit IRC
17:00alkisg has joined #ltsp
17:02
<johnny>
Lns, yes xorg will use hal stuff instead of it's own
17:02
for input hotplug and whatnot
17:04
<Lns>
johnny: that's def. a good thing(tm)! =)
17:05
Hopefully that will drastically reduce the amount of video driver related issues on TCs
17:05
<johnny>
except it increases the memory
17:05
required on thin clients
17:05
by about 3 mb
17:05jonnor has quit IRC
17:06jammcq has quit IRC
17:07* gbolte dumps another gig of ram on the thin clients
17:07
<gbolte>
:P
17:08Gadi has left #ltsp
17:08
<cliebow>
gbolte:heh..mine will Never see 128...
17:09
<Lns>
wow...additional 3mb huh? :(
17:10
<johnny>
it'd be nice
17:10
<Lns>
I guess the days of "Run Pent. II or higher thin-clients w/only 64mb ram" are gone!
17:10
<johnny>
if somebody would compile the whole chroot with uclibc
17:10
that would be neat
17:11
<gbolte>
cliebow, I think most of ours are running 512...
17:12
<johnny>
Lns, i think if you knew how to customize your chroot.. you could drop it down pretty low
17:12
<gbolte>
a few are running 256
17:12
<johnny>
much lower than the super generalized install you normallly get
17:13
<cliebow>
mine were of course rscued from thecrusher..
17:13
<Lns>
johnny: true, that makes sense
17:14
<gbolte>
lol cliebow
17:15
yeah ours were specifically purchased for this use
17:17viking-ice has quit IRC
17:19
<johnny>
and if you could compile it with uclibc instead of glibc, it'd be much smaller.. but i don't know if x itself could do that..
17:34
<gord_>
anyone got thoughts for low-spec p2 thin clients playing MP4s? very low bitate ones, (training and vidoescreencaps mainly, 1 to 4 fps) I'm talking of 30 mins of stuff in a 25MB file, not DVD quality. VLC silently bombs out, Mplayer too, on LTSP client, while all play fine on the host server locally. Am i missing something? I dont admin LTSP much, i admit. Ubuntu 8.04.1 LTS + LTSP 10/100 switched, zero congestion, (fat client plays from that
17:34
physical location no problem with MUCH fatter vids)
17:35
^oops fat client should read standalone machine, not fat-thinclient
17:40jammcq has joined #ltsp
17:41
<alkisg>
gord_, have you tried LDM_DIRECTX=True in lts.conf? Low spec thin clients have cpu problems with ssh compression + video...
17:41viking-ice has joined #ltsp
17:42
<gord_>
aha, I'll give that a go tomorrow, is that the thing that pushes the video info unencrypted but everything else is ssh-ed?
17:43
<vagrantc>
X unencypted
17:43
<alkisg>
Yes, it's about sending unencrypted data, but I'm not sure which. OK, thanks vagrantc
17:43
<vagrantc>
hence the X in DIRECTX
17:43
very little is using ssh when LDM_DIRECTX=True
17:44
<gord_>
excellent, many thanks. at moment whole ltsp is totally standalone from the cloud and physically secure so i have no probs with that security-wise, but I'll make mental not for other situations. Thanks both
17:48viking-ice has quit IRC
17:51AlienX_ has quit IRC
17:56gord_ has quit IRC
18:04twinprism has joined #ltsp
18:21alkisg has left #ltsp
18:51jorgezer0 has quit IRC
18:54
<Lns>
vagrantc: does LDM_DIRECTX have any implications at all regarding normal usage, besides obviously disabling encryption? Do any apps assume SSH is being used and will be broken if used at all, or no?
18:57
<vagrantc>
Lns: we've got most, if not all of that, worked out
18:57
Lns: should work fine.
18:58
<Lns>
vagrantc: cool. Just curious.
18:58* Lns waves to chan
18:58Lns has quit IRC
19:00vagrantc has quit IRC
19:12viking-ice has joined #ltsp
19:18viking-ice has quit IRC
19:47sofian has joined #ltsp
19:47
<sofian>
hi folks
19:48
<gbolte>
hi
19:48
<sofian>
I'm on a usb key debugging mission and I am not sure how to determine which vt number to use in the following command
19:48
ssh -X -S /var/run/ldm_socket_vt7_192.168.2.10 192.168.2.10 "/usr/sbin/ltspfsmounter /tmp add"
19:51
<gbolte>
is .10 your server
19:51
?
19:51
<sofian>
yes
19:51
based on the output of an ifconfig command run directly from the server
19:52
<gbolte>
k
19:52
well that command gets ran from the client as far as I can tell
19:52
<sofian>
yup
19:52
only I'm not sure how to determine which vt I should be using
19:52
<gbolte>
oh
19:52
?
19:53
<sofian>
I would have assumed 7, but when I tried that command I got a cannot open x server error
19:53
<gbolte>
hmm
19:53
<sofian>
sorry "Cannot open X display"
19:53
<gbolte>
oh
19:53
well wait
19:54
what issue are you having with usb drives?
19:54
<sofian>
I'm trying to identify that.
19:55
They do not show up on the thin clients gnome desktops...
19:55
<gbolte>
ah ok
19:55
<sofian>
Other than that, everything is green
19:55
I have been running through the troubleshooting on https://wiki.ubuntu.com/DebugLocalDev
19:58
<gbolte>
and your X display is running on vt7 I assume?
19:59
<sofian>
You know what - let me check
19:59
<gbolte>
:)
19:59
<sofian>
yes
19:59
heh
19:59
<gbolte>
hmm
20:00
well I dont know whats up...if you stick around someone who knows more might be able to help
20:00
<sofian>
thankee
20:00
<gbolte>
I am not even running ubuntu so I am not sure if their setup is different than ours
20:01
<sofian>
maybe I'll check back tomorrow I'm feeling pretty burnt at this point.
20:01
Thanks
20:01
<gbolte>
ah
20:01
ok
20:01
yeah come back tomorrow earlier in the day
20:02
its 9pm where you are?
20:04cliebow has quit IRC
20:05sofian has left #ltsp
20:08japerry has quit IRC
20:09gbolte has quit IRC
20:22japerry has joined #ltsp
20:58johnny has left #ltsp
21:00otavio has quit IRC
21:30GiantPickle has quit IRC
21:34
<sbalneav>
Evening all
21:34
On channel
21:37
<jammcq>
hey
21:37
how you doing?
21:38
<sbalneav>
Not too shabby
21:38
<jammcq>
sbalneav: hey, you use hylafax?
21:42
<sbalneav>
No, I don't
21:43
<jammcq>
hmm
21:43
<sbalneav>
we rigged up a cool little doohikey with efax and cups
21:43
<jammcq>
hmm, i've been using hylafax for years, but i'm having a hard time figuring out how to raise the priority of a fax
21:43
<sbalneav>
You print to a printer, it pops up a box on your screen asking you for the phone number, and the fax goes out.
21:43
<jammcq>
i'm doing some testing, and I want my test fax to go before the 30 or so faxes in the queue
21:44
we send out about 300 faxes a day, I can't have a window popping up for each one
21:44
and hylafax works great for that, it's just i'm trying to do something different
21:47
<loather-work>
sbalneav: i'd be interested in the details
21:47johnny has joined #ltsp
21:47johnny is now known as Guest79249
21:53
<sbalneav>
loather-work: It's just a shell script implemented as a cups backend.
21:55
<jammcq>
welp, it's bed time for me
21:55
see ya'll tomorrow
21:56
<sbalneav>
Night jammcq!
21:59
<loather-work>
sbalneav: sweet. mind if i grab a copy?
22:05vagrantc has joined #ltsp
22:07Nubae has quit IRC
22:08Nubae has joined #ltsp
22:11
<sbalneav>
Don't have it here right now, it's at work.
22:11
Pop in tomorrow, and I can send it to you.
22:12Guest79249 is now known as johnny
22:36
<loather-work>
certainly :)
22:36
thanks!
23:47siji has joined #ltsp