IRC chat logs for #ltsp on irc.freenode.net (webchat)


Channel log from 23 September 2007   (all times are UTC)

00:19edgarin has quit IRC
00:21vagrantc has quit IRC
00:21cyberorg is now known as cyberorg_
00:32joebaker has quit IRC
00:37elisboa has quit IRC
00:37elisboa has joined #ltsp
00:46tux_440volt has joined #ltsp
01:22tux_440volt has quit IRC
02:00chris_punches has joined #ltsp
02:01Amaranth has quit IRC
02:20subir has quit IRC
02:34MagicStorm has joined #ltsp
02:34plamengr has joined #ltsp
02:36plamengr has left #ltsp
03:23K_O-Gnom has joined #ltsp
03:32MagicStorm has quit IRC
03:52sepski has joined #ltsp
03:54rcy has quit IRC
03:55rcy has joined #ltsp
03:57rcy has quit IRC
03:58rcy has joined #ltsp
04:16ogra has quit IRC
04:28cyberorg_ is now known as cyberorg
04:30linopil has joined #ltsp
04:37ogra has joined #ltsp
04:41ogra has quit IRC
04:41ogra has joined #ltsp
04:42ogra has joined #ltsp
04:48captain_magnus is now known as captain_maGNUs
04:51masus has joined #ltsp
05:06fernando122 has quit IRC
05:13fernando122 has joined #ltsp
05:38ogra has quit IRC
05:44ogra has joined #ltsp
05:45ogra has quit IRC
06:11ogra has joined #ltsp
06:28meduxa has joined #ltsp
06:35ogra has quit IRC
06:46meduxa has quit IRC
06:50_gentgeen_ has joined #ltsp
07:05ogra has joined #ltsp
07:21bobby_C has joined #ltsp
07:44masus has quit IRC
07:56Amaranth has joined #ltsp
08:16bobby_C has quit IRC
08:16bobby_C has joined #ltsp
09:05tux_440volt has joined #ltsp
09:52_gentgeen_ has quit IRC
10:28kaos_ has joined #ltsp
10:32vagrantc has joined #ltsp
10:33Amaranth has quit IRC
10:36elisboa is now known as elisboa-off
10:40Amaranth has joined #ltsp
10:47kaos_ has quit IRC
10:48ws101 has joined #ltsp
10:49plamengr has joined #ltsp
10:49plamengr has left #ltsp
10:49masus has joined #ltsp
10:50ws101 has quit IRC
10:55ws101 has joined #ltsp
10:58iMav has joined #ltsp
11:07
<ws101>
hi, I have some news about "cdrom mounted twice" problem...
11:07
I try using on my debian server a client environment created on ubuntu feisty
11:07
the cdrom wasn't mounted twice so i think it isn't a debian's gnome-vfs problem
11:07
the solution may be in the changes made on ubuntu's ltspfs package: http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/pool/main/l/ltspfs/ltspfs_0.4.3-0ubuntu6.diff.gz
11:07
<what do you think about?
11:07
<vagrantc>
i can't fathom what would be different that would cause that ...
11:08
ws101: so, you're using the same server environment, debian.... the LTSP chroot is ubuntu feisty ?
11:09
<ws101>
yes
11:10
<vagrantc>
ws101: what are the versions of ltspfs and ltsp-server on your server ?
11:11
<ws101>
ltspfs 0.4.3+debian3
11:11
and
11:12
ltspfsd 0.4.3+debian3
11:13
<vagrantc>
you have ltspfsd installed on your server ?
11:13
ws101: this is on a debian lenny system ?
11:14
<ws101>
answer are not in the correct order :)
11:14
yes, debian lenny
11:14
but also on debian etch was the same
11:15
<vagrantc>
but an ubuntu chroot doesn't create duplicate icons ?
11:15
<ws101>
no
11:15
<vagrantc>
ws101: please add this information to the bug report ...
11:16
<ws101>
ok
11:16
<vagrantc>
sure got me confused ... what could cause that?!
11:19
<masus>
hi , is it possible to use squid and ltsp togehter.
11:21
<vagrantc>
masus: absolutely.
11:21
masus: there is nothing special you would have to do to use squid with LTSP
11:22MagicStorm has joined #ltsp
11:23
<masus>
but , normally the clients get there own ip , but with ltsp they have only the ip from the server
11:25
<vagrantc>
ah.
11:25
you want authenticated squid stuff ... yeah ...
11:26
i haven't ever messed with that ..
11:27
<masus>
for example the client with the ip 10.0.0.4 can go thrue internet and 10.0.0.5 can not
11:27
but after i get connected via ltsp i can't do this :S
11:27
<vagrantc>
well, obviously you can't control it using ip addresses.
11:28
<masus>
do u know how to ?
11:28Stevecar has joined #ltsp
11:28
<vagrantc>
i don't know how, but you can do some sort of authentication with squid on a per-user basis.
11:28
<masus>
hmmm ok i'll try
11:29
thanks, and one question more, i do not have a lts.conf
11:29
where to paste the example one
11:29ws101 has quit IRC
11:29
<masus>
"/opt/ltsp/i386/etc or /etc"
11:29
<vagrantc>
masus: what do you need to change?
11:29
<masus>
screen resolution
11:29
for one client
11:30
<vagrantc>
[Default]
11:30
X_MODE_0=1024x768
11:30
masus: just create one in /opt/ltsp/i386/etc/lts.conf
11:30
<masus>
ok :) thanks
11:31
<vagrantc>
you need the [default] line ... and then another line for your specific machine ... i recommend using mac address.
11:31
<masus>
yes i have see
11:36ws101 has joined #ltsp
11:42Amaranth has quit IRC
11:49Q-FUNK has joined #ltsp
11:50ogra has quit IRC
11:51Amaranth has joined #ltsp
11:53ogra has joined #ltsp
11:54twinprism_ has joined #ltsp
12:05Stevecar has left #ltsp
12:32ws101 has quit IRC
12:40K_O-Gnom has quit IRC
12:42muh2000 has quit IRC
12:42chris_punches has quit IRC
12:50Q-FUNK has quit IRC
13:07chris_punches has joined #ltsp
13:21ws101 has joined #ltsp
13:26
<ws101>
news about debian bug #432669
13:26
i have that problem only if i disable floppy from bios
13:28
enabling it the problem 432669
13:28
enabling it the problem disappears, sorry
13:29tux_440volt has quit IRC
13:31bobby_C has quit IRC
13:32vagrantc_ has joined #ltsp
13:33
<vagrantc_>
ws101: did you say anything after "news about debian bug #432669" ?
13:33
ah, ok ...
13:34
so, the problem does exist. enabling the floppy works abound the problem, because adding floppy support creates /var/run/ltspfs_fstab
13:35
i think cdpinger should create the fstab if one isn't there, myself.
13:35
<otavio>
vagrantc_: yes, I got it but hadn't processed it yet
13:35
vagrantc_: doing it in few minutes
13:35
<vagrantc_>
otavio: ok. thanks :)
13:36
otavio: just wanted to make sure it wasn't mail troubles.
13:36
<otavio>
vagrantc_: np
13:36
vagrantc_: i'm processing my backlog from irc and before start doing other things I'll upload it
13:37
<vagrantc_>
otavio: nice :)
13:37masus has left #ltsp
13:37
<vagrantc_>
seeing all these huge theme related files makes me want to split ldm into a separate source package, and create an arch: all ldm-themes package
13:38twinprism_ has quit IRC
13:38
<otavio>
vagrantc_: please do!
13:39
<vagrantc_>
otavio: i meet much resistance from the ubuntu crowd.
13:39
<otavio>
vagrantc_: why?
13:39
vagrantc_: well, that's why they're called derivative ;-)
13:39
<vagrantc_>
otavio: beats me. :)
13:39
<otavio>
vagrantc_: let's they derivate from it and merge the package back :P
13:39
<vagrantc_>
probably just wanting to avoid making it over-complicated
13:40
otavio: well, it's sort of more like debian is the derivative with LTSP stuff ..
13:40
<otavio>
vagrantc_: personally I think that ldm deserves its own source
13:40
<vagrantc_>
i agree.
13:40
<otavio>
vagrantc_: doesn't make sense it to be part of ltsp every upload
13:41
<vagrantc_>
otavio: exactly.
13:41
<otavio>
vagrantc_: let's try to talk to ogra
13:41
vagrantc_: I guess we can convince him
13:42
<vagrantc_>
most of the themes at the moment are all the various ubuntu derivatives ... xubuntu (ironically) being the biggest.
13:43
<otavio>
vagrantc_: and are they being included on Debian uploads too?
13:43vagrantc has quit IRC
13:43
<vagrantc_>
otavio: in the source, yes. i dropped them from the package.
13:43
<otavio>
vagrantc_: to say the truth, I think those themes ought to have they own source package
13:43
<vagrantc_>
otavio: i also agree with that.
13:43
<otavio>
vagrantc_: they're not LTSP part
13:43
vagrantc_: but ubuntu part
13:44
<vagrantc_>
otavio: yeah, and we need a generic LTSP theme ...
13:44
<otavio>
vagrantc_: how is going the "centralization" of source on ltsp br branch?
13:45
jammcq: how is the status of above ^^
13:45rcy has quit IRC
13:45
<vagrantc_>
otavio: you mean a distro-independent source tree? little to no work on that has been done.
13:46
<otavio>
vagrantc_: of course
13:46
vagrantc_: we do need to have a central place to look for features and fixes
13:46
vagrantc_: and this shouldn't to be ubuntu bzr branch
13:46
<vagrantc_>
otavio: i've talked to sbalneav a bit about it ...
13:47
<otavio>
vagrantc_: also to make easier to other vendors to work on that
13:47
vagrantc_: and I'm sure that Ubuntu and Debian should do workarounds for bugs from time to time and those shouldn't be included on official tree
13:47
<vagrantc_>
otavio: i've been pushing to at least produce tarballs, so other distros can provide patches against something...
13:48
<otavio>
vagrantc_: yes. But we'd need to have a source-tree for it
13:48
vagrantc_: without Debian/Ubuntu debian/ dirs
13:49
vagrantc_: and beig the "official" tree
13:49
<vagrantc_>
otavio: sure...
13:49
otavio: you'll find no disagreement from me :)
13:50
<otavio>
vagrantc_: this is important also to get more eyes on the changes. If sbalneav and jammcq need to include the fixes on the tree they can, and will, spot out our trivial mistakes
13:51
vagrantc_: currently is basically you and ogra checking the changes but both are biased from a vendor POV
13:53
<vagrantc_>
otavio: agreed.
13:54
<otavio>
vagrantc_: and maybe get rid of bzr and move to git? (i don't believe it'll happen)
13:54
vagrantc_: heeh, jokking
14:02muh2000 has joined #ltsp
14:06sepski has quit IRC
14:08bobby_C has joined #ltsp
14:08
<jammcq>
hey kidz
14:09MagicStor1 has joined #ltsp
14:09
<jammcq>
otavio: I suspect more will be happening soon in the distro-independent ltsp sources.
14:10
we're seeing lots of activity from Novell lately
14:10
and ubuntu is reducing its active involvement in ltsp development, which means more of the development will move back into upstream ltsp
14:11
<otavio>
jammcq: sorry but I believe it ought happen as soon as possible
14:11
<jammcq>
sure, it should.... but that takes time. something I don't have right now
14:11
and scotty will probably do much of that work, but he's been swamped too
14:11
<otavio>
jammcq: it's difficult for vendors to support something that is controlled by one specific vendor
14:11
<jammcq>
hey, no argument here
14:11
<otavio>
jammcq: can't I or vagrant help?
14:12
<jammcq>
if you figure out how to put more hours in the day, this can get done sooner
14:12
sure
14:12
let's get scotty in here sometime soon, and we can discuss the path to moving forward with that
14:12
<otavio>
jammcq: right
14:12
vagrantc_: good for you?
14:13
jammcq: it would be nice to get you and sbalneav checking changes before it gets merged on upstream tree
14:13
jammcq: this would avoid a lot of trivial mistakes
14:13
<jammcq>
I'll be with some Fedora guys next weekend. I'll be pushing them for more involvement too. the only way that will work is to have a distro-independent repository
14:13
otavio: I agree
14:14
<otavio>
jammcq: and could even allow us to get some kind of automated testing later
14:17
<cyberorg>
jammcq, hio, it is just two people working on suse implementation :(
14:18
<jammcq>
cyberorg: yes, but i'm very encouraged by your achievments so far
14:18
<cyberorg>
if you know something else about novell involvement, please share :)
14:18
<jammcq>
cyberorg: only that I keep getting announcements about kiwi-ltsp
14:18
I think from you, eh?
14:18
<cyberorg>
yeah :) one more : http://dev.compiz-fusion.org/~cyberorg/
14:19* vagrantc_ is itchin to get kiwi-ltsp stuff integrated into the existing codebase
14:20
<jammcq>
cyberorg: very nice
14:20
<cyberorg>
vagrantc_, i created a project on launchpad, and put up my svn tree for import there
14:20
i would really like one of you devs to give it a try so you know how tacky the implementation is ;)
14:22MagicStorm has quit IRC
14:23
<otavio>
cyberorg: why, use bzr in this case
14:23
cyberorg: is easier to merge for you and for everyone else to check it
14:24
<cyberorg>
otavio, i don't, it is on svn, https://forgesvn1.novell.com/viewsvn/kiwi-ltsp/trunk/
14:25
otavio, you mean why not use bzr?
14:29
<otavio>
cyberorg: use bzr.
14:30
<vagrantc_>
otavio: i think kiwi-ltsp stuff replaces the role of debootstrap and a bunch of other stuff.
14:30
<otavio>
cyberorg: otherwise you'll have much more hassle to update it when your changes are done
14:30
<vagrantc_>
otavio: so it's more integrating that into the plugin system
14:30
<cyberorg>
otavio, https://launchpad.net/kiwi-ltsp/trunk i guess they will create bzr out of svn
14:31laprag has joined #ltsp
14:31
<jammcq>
laprag: hey
14:31
<cyberorg>
vagrantc_, i would need help reorganizing stuff so it can go in plugin system
14:31
<laprag>
hey
14:33
<otavio>
cyberorg: but it won't work since it won't have same bzr branch as original tree
14:33
cyberorg: merge will fail, probably
14:34* vagrantc_ doesn't think it's appropriate to merge
14:34
<vagrantc_>
it's a different codebase entirely.
14:34
we just need to merge support for it.
14:35
:q
14:36
<cyberorg>
we can always sort out how it will be handled once we get 'proper' work done, right now it is not in a good shape
14:37
"it works!" that is all
14:39K_O-Gnom has joined #ltsp
14:39
<cyberorg>
got to go, ciao folks
14:39cyberorg is now known as cyberorg_
14:40K_O-Gnom has quit IRC
14:41loather-work has quit IRC
14:42Q-FUNK has joined #ltsp
15:00iMav has quit IRC
15:06laprag has quit IRC
15:11chris_punches has quit IRC
15:17chris_punches has joined #ltsp
15:23
<vagrantc_>
ogra: any reason why configure-x.sh is called from ltsp-client-core instead of ltsp-client-setup ?
15:26* vagrantc_ would think it belongs in ltsp-client-setup
15:28Amaranth has quit IRC
15:30Q-FUNK has quit IRC
15:33Amaranth has joined #ltsp
15:36
<vagrantc_>
can ubuntu's Xorg vesa driver handle more than 1024x768 ?
15:36
debian's seems to try, and fail.
15:37
well, not fail ... seems like everything's fine, except there's no output on the screen
15:40Amaranth has quit IRC
15:41muh2000_ has joined #ltsp
15:44muh2000_ has quit IRC
15:48bobby_C has quit IRC
15:49chris_punches has quit IRC
15:53chris_punches has joined #ltsp
15:57muh2000 has quit IRC
16:04Amaranth has joined #ltsp
16:11chris_punches has quit IRC
16:28elisboa-off has quit IRC
16:30ccherret1 has joined #ltsp
16:32vagrantc has joined #ltsp
16:33elisboa-off has joined #ltsp
16:38spectra has joined #ltsp
16:41ccherrett has quit IRC
16:44vagrantc_ has quit IRC
16:51ws101 has quit IRC
17:07MagicStor1 has quit IRC
17:17MagicStorm has joined #ltsp
17:22muh2000 has joined #ltsp
17:23muh2000_ has joined #ltsp
17:24MagicStorm has quit IRC
17:39muh2000 has quit IRC
17:51IRCzito has joined #ltsp
18:06IRCzito has left #ltsp
18:15
<vagrantc>
otavio: how close are you to an upload ?
18:16
otavio: i've got a few more patches almost ready
18:32captain_maGNUs has quit IRC
18:33captain_magnus has joined #ltsp
18:35luisgrin has joined #ltsp
18:35
<luisgrin>
hi,
18:36
<cliebow>
x
18:37
<luisgrin>
im llokin for the develop of of net using pII 400 with 128 mb against some server
18:37
but... the termianal need to run a browser
18:37
and kind of billing aplication
18:37
some more sophisticated ... not so much
18:37
maybe up to 100 terminals
18:38
server maybe 2gb 160 gb sata. etc...
18:38
<cliebow>
we used to figure 256 meg of server ram for server and oh say 100 meg per terminal of server ram
18:38
depending on usage
18:39
<otavio>
vagrantc: send them to me
18:39
<luisgrin>
you mean 256 meg por terminal?
18:39
<otavio>
vagrantc: I've forgot to upload it
18:39
<cliebow>
no
18:39
<luisgrin>
in the server
18:39
<otavio>
vagrantc: :P
18:39
<vagrantc>
otavio: heh :P
18:39
<cliebow>
256 ram for the server itself to run
18:39
<luisgrin>
a ok
18:39
i see
18:39
and then how much for terminal?
18:40
<vagrantc>
otavio: send you the whole tarball over again, or just the patches ?
18:40
<cliebow>
so 2 gig would run perhaps 20 terminals..a lot depends on use
18:40
<luisgrin>
very little ...
18:40
<cliebow>
a browser can use a lot..
18:40
<luisgrin>
but i think memory is not the probelm bcoz id reaaly cheap
18:41
is really cheap i mean
18:42
i dont know what is the limit for the duo 6600
18:42
but i think it must be a lot
18:42
<cliebow>
not sure....best to catch ogra tomorrow..or sbalneav..
18:42
<luisgrin>
oka
18:42
i c ...
18:43
<cliebow>
or vagrantc...
18:43
<otavio>
vagrantc: tarball
18:43
<cliebow>
or vagrantc...
18:43
<luisgrin>
some boy talk me he was runnig lts with a lot of terminals but he didnot say anything about so huge amount of memory
18:43
<cliebow>
or anyone that will speak back far as that is concerned 8~)
19:04
<vagrantc>
otavio: sent
19:08* vagrantc stares at his new "ltsp" theme for LDM
19:32vagrantc_ has joined #ltsp
19:44ogra has quit IRC
19:45vagrantc has quit IRC
19:55ari_stress has joined #ltsp
20:10
<ari_stress>
morning
20:19MagicStorm has joined #ltsp
20:36ari_stress has quit IRC
20:38rcy has joined #ltsp
20:38ari_stress has joined #ltsp
20:39rcy has quit IRC
21:04vagrantc_ has quit IRC
21:08ccherret1 is now known as ccherrett
21:15newmember has joined #ltsp
21:18luisgrin has quit IRC
21:52twinprism_ has joined #ltsp
21:55ari_stress has quit IRC
22:20twinprism_ has quit IRC
22:22twinprism_ has joined #ltsp
22:57gizmo21187 has joined #ltsp
22:57
<gizmo21187>
hello
22:57
any one alive
23:03shogunx has joined #ltsp
23:30
<str4nd>
no :)
23:57
<gizmo21187>
nice
23:58
any one use isp config
23:59gizmo21187 has quit IRC