IRC chat logs for #ltsp on irc.freenode.net (webchat)


Channel log from 2 May 2008   (all times are UTC)

00:00
<generic>
orgra you there
00:00
i want to enable USB on my thin clients
00:00
?
00:10
hyelos
00:12johnny has quit IRC
00:17
<generic>
guys am getting tftp error on ltsp 5
00:17
what i need to check
00:18
yestrday all was working
00:18
?
00:19
<warren>
check your services first
00:19
what distro is your server?
00:21
<generic>
kubuntu
00:21
hey i reboot my server now all ok
00:21
what this mean
00:21
how i check my service
00:22
also i want to enable my USB
00:22mccann has quit IRC
00:22
<generic>
any idea
00:22
n lts.conf file i add LOCALDEV=Y
00:22
is that ok
00:27johnny has joined #ltsp
00:33
<generic>
warren?
00:34generic has quit IRC
00:59rcy` has joined #ltsp
00:59rcy` is now known as rcy
01:05subir has joined #ltsp
01:40daya has joined #ltsp
01:55ccherret1 is now known as ccherrett
01:55mikkel has joined #ltsp
02:03
<johnny>
ogra, NOTE for you
02:03
The Settings Manager is a special control panel that runs on your local computer but is displayed within and accessed from the Adobe website.
02:04ccherret1 has joined #ltsp
02:05ccherrett has quit IRC
02:06cyberorg has quit IRC
02:06topslakr_ has quit IRC
02:06Patina has quit IRC
02:06stgraber has quit IRC
02:06Faithful has quit IRC
02:08Pascal_1 has joined #ltsp
02:18cyberorg has joined #ltsp
02:18stgraber has joined #ltsp
02:18Faithful has joined #ltsp
02:18Patina has joined #ltsp
02:18topslakr_ has joined #ltsp
02:20ccherret1 is now known as ccherrett
02:24artista_frustrad has quit IRC
02:24artista_frustrad has joined #ltsp
02:25itais has joined #ltsp
02:26Q-FUNK has joined #ltsp
02:33basanta has joined #ltsp
02:50tux_440volt has joined #ltsp
03:00K_O-Gnom has joined #ltsp
03:12tux_440volt has quit IRC
03:16bobby_C has joined #ltsp
03:18Egyptian[Home] has quit IRC
03:48mraudsepp has joined #ltsp
03:55basanta has quit IRC
04:25BGomes has quit IRC
04:26Egyptian[Home] has joined #ltsp
04:30K_O-Gnom has quit IRC
04:54toscalix has joined #ltsp
04:54bobby__C has joined #ltsp
05:10bobby_C has quit IRC
05:12K_O-Gnom has joined #ltsp
05:30hersonls has quit IRC
05:34ogra has quit IRC
05:37ogra has joined #ltsp
05:39bobby__C has quit IRC
05:57ogra has quit IRC
05:58bobby_C has joined #ltsp
05:58ogra has joined #ltsp
06:04TelnetManta has quit IRC
06:05basanta has joined #ltsp
06:25hersonls has joined #ltsp
06:29subir has quit IRC
06:46basanta has quit IRC
06:53daya has quit IRC
07:10Skarmeth has joined #ltsp
07:14Guaraldo has joined #ltsp
07:19alekibango has quit IRC
07:25TelnetManta has joined #ltsp
07:27moritz has joined #ltsp
07:27
<moritz>
hi
07:28alekibango has joined #ltsp
07:32bobby_C has quit IRC
07:34mraudsepp has quit IRC
07:36
<moritz>
I wonder why in some cases I can see the thin clients harddisks mounted when i log in and in other cases i dont.
07:40moritz has left #ltsp
07:41moritz has joined #ltsp
07:50
<moritz>
somehow ltsp on hardy feels more sluggish than on gutsy.
07:52carl__ has quit IRC
07:52carl__ has joined #ltsp
07:53alekibango has quit IRC
07:54alekibango has joined #ltsp
07:58asac_ has joined #ltsp
07:58cliebow has joined #ltsp
07:58alekibango has quit IRC
08:03alekibango has joined #ltsp
08:04Q-FUNK has quit IRC
08:09asac has quit IRC
08:19warren has quit IRC
08:26K_O-Gnom has quit IRC
08:46hwilde has joined #ltsp
08:57cliebow has quit IRC
08:57cliebow has joined #ltsp
09:00warren has joined #ltsp
09:00Gadi has joined #ltsp
09:01moritz has quit IRC
09:01
<cliebow>
Gadi:!!!
09:03
<Gadi>
cliebow: !!
09:03
hows ur perl today?
09:03
<cliebow>
heh..no better than yesterday..
09:03
<Gadi>
did the timestamp work?
09:04
<cliebow>
my $timestamp=(stat($name))[9];
09:04
that works..sometimes..
09:04
<Gadi>
lol
09:04
what do you mean sometimes?
09:05
<cliebow>
i dont get it.some folders cause use of uninitialized variable in concatenation when printed
09:05
works fine if run against /home/cliebow/Desktop..but not /home/cliebow
09:05
<Gadi>
how about: my $timestamp; $timestamp=(stat($name))[9] if (-e $name);
09:06
<cliebow>
give er a whirl
09:07
same deal
09:07
ohh
09:07
nope..
09:08
ill post what i got..at your leisure of course..
09:09
<ltsppbot>
"cliebow" pasted "#!/usr/bin/perl use strict; us" (15 lines) at http://pastebot.ltsp.org/524
09:10
<Gadi>
take out the second "my"
09:11
<cliebow>
ohh
09:12* Gadi thinks some of your directories dont exist
09:12
<cliebow>
crappola..same old poo
09:14* cliebow cliebow googles ..more\
09:15
<Gadi>
pastebot the results
09:17Pascal_1 has quit IRC
09:21
<cliebow>
k
09:23
Gadi:ill pastebot this but nothing is different..
09:23
<ltsppbot>
"cliebow" pasted "#!/usr/bin/perl use strict; us" (15 lines) at http://pastebot.ltsp.org/525
09:28
<Gadi>
I meant the output
09:32
<cliebow>
k
09:32
when run against /home/cliebow/Desktop
09:32
1195630237
09:32
vmware-server.tar.bz2
09:33
hmm
09:33
uncompress
09:33
No such file or directory
09:33
Use of uninitialized value in concatenation (.) or string at ./opendirectory line 12.
09:34
the files exist..
09:35
-rw-r--r-- 1 cliebow cliebow 109 2007-11-13 16:16 uncompress
09:39chammiya has joined #ltsp
09:39chammiya has left #ltsp
09:42
<Gadi>
cliebow: where does the script live?
09:43
<cliebow>
in /home/cliebow/Desktop..atm
09:43
<Gadi>
you prolly want to add: $name = $directory . "/" . $name;
09:44
<cliebow>
ok
09:44
<Gadi>
as the first line in your loop
09:44
(ie, use absolute name rather than relative)
09:44
<cliebow>
ohh..
09:45
whoohee!!
09:46bobby_C has joined #ltsp
09:46
<cliebow>
you ROCK!
09:46
<Gadi>
heh - now clean up the code
09:46
:)
09:48
<cliebow>
that is not my forte!
10:21
<warren>
ogra: what kind of video card does the classmate have?
10:21
<ogra>
warren, i915
10:22
<warren>
oh right
10:25Faithful has quit IRC
10:29mccann has joined #ltsp
10:30
<ogra>
warren, any plans to do classmate images on your side ?
10:30
or why do you ask ?
10:30
<warren>
ogra: if I had a classmate I would work on it
10:30
<ogra>
ah
10:30
<warren>
I work on anything I have in front of me
10:31
<ogra>
hehe
10:31
<warren>
salmon powered thin client? sure. I'll work on it.
10:31
worst idea ever
10:31* ogra puts a toaster in front of warren
10:31
<ogra>
well, salmon is tasty :)
10:34
<warren>
ogra: how's battery life on the classmate?
10:35
<ogra>
4h+
10:36
<cliebow>
Thank you GadMeister ;-]
10:43rjune has joined #ltsp
10:43
<rjune>
ogra: you about?
10:44
!g
10:44
<ltspbot>
rjune: "g" is Gadi!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
10:44
<ogra>
rjune, i pretend to
10:45
<rjune>
had any complaints of slapd going away on hardy?
10:46
<ogra>
nope
10:46
but i dont do ldap in ubuntu
10:46
#ubuntu-server would be the place to ask ;)
10:47
<rjune>
yup.
10:56pimpministerp has quit IRC
10:56bobby_C has quit IRC
11:01cyberorg has quit IRC
11:13cyberorg has joined #ltsp
11:15Pascal_1 has joined #ltsp
11:32
<shogunx>
ogra... thanx for the assist last night. a few days ago, you recommended a different chroot image for the term with the atheros access point in it. since the images are @ 200megs, that seems a wise move.
11:33
how do i get an image with a different name ( i386ap.img, for example). just rename i guess would work... and how do i get that term to load that image? defined MAC listing in lts.conf?
11:34cyberorg has quit IRC
11:36
<ogra>
see ltsp-build-client --extra-help :)
11:36
--chroot should give you what you want
11:38cyberorg has joined #ltsp
11:42
<cliebow>
rjune:i believe i have ldap in hardy on my lappie..it does seem sort of sluggish but maybe that is just me..
11:45
<shogunx>
oh... build a whole new chroot in addition to the new image. gotcha. thanx. i was just going to chroot /opt/ltsp/i386 then apt-get install the necessaries for the atheros, add the init script, and rebuild the image.
11:48Pascal_1 has left #ltsp
11:48nantes_geek has joined #ltsp
11:49
<rjune>
cliebow: whenever I add a user, slapd dies
11:52
<cliebow>
i habvnt tried that..seen quite a few bug reports..but sadly cant remember if anything is apropos
11:53
<ogra>
rjune, did yu ask the sever guys ? there wer eplenty of chnages to simplify the ldap setup
11:54tux_440volt has joined #ltsp
11:55gregbrady has joined #ltsp
11:58Egyptian[Home] has quit IRC
11:58Egyptian[Home1 has joined #ltsp
12:05
<rjune>
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/04/30/AR2008043003435.html
12:05
not yet.
12:05
ogra: been a busy day
12:08gregbrady has quit IRC
12:15gregbrady has joined #ltsp
12:23tux_440volt has quit IRC
12:23scrapbunnyserver has joined #ltsp
12:25hersonls has quit IRC
12:26
<scrapbunnyserver>
i know ltsp-localapps is not ready yet but are there any directions for trying it out? i really want to switch to ubuntu but i need firefox to run locally
12:27
<ogra>
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/ltsp-localapps feeel free to implement it :)
12:27
<johnny>
local apps is available elsewhere ?
12:28
referring to your "switch to ubuntu" comment
12:28
<ogra>
heh
12:28
<warren>
btw, does ltspfs support stat?
12:29
<ogra>
yes
12:29
<scrapbunnyserver>
my lab is currently xp stand alone dells and i have tried with 7.10 and now with 8.04 to switch to ubuntu thin client set up
12:29
<ogra>
scott added something to it to support it
12:29
<warren>
scrapbunnyserver: how much ram per machine?
12:30
<scrapbunnyserver>
128 to 256 so localapps might not even work :(
12:32
i've seen that site ogra and think i am too much of a newbie because i need step by step directions
12:34
<ogra>
step 1 finish the code :)
12:35
<scrapbunnyserver>
:)
12:35gbolte has joined #ltsp
12:36
<gbolte>
hi guys
12:36
I have a question about ldm, is this the right place to be?
12:36
<ogra>
yup
12:36
<gbolte>
cool
12:37
so when you login to ldm how dose it pass the auth to the server?
12:37
dose it actually login WITH ssh
12:37
<ogra>
the default does ssh -X user@server /etc/X11/Xsession
12:38
the LDM_DIRECTX mode does ssh user@server DISPLAY=$DISPLAY /etc/X11/Xsession
12:38
with copying the xauth keys over to the session
12:38
in both cases all password handling goes through ssh
12:39
<gbolte>
ok
12:39
good
12:39
<ogra>
but only in the first case the X traffic is wrapped as well
12:39
<gbolte>
thats what I needed to know
12:39
<ogra>
the second operates pretty much like XDMCP did but still retains password security
12:40
<scrapbunnyserver>
so i need to find some new apps or websites that run well on the thin client setup to get my students excited to switch from xp
12:40
<ogra>
(still, i'D dont to homebanking with the second ;) )
12:40
<scrapbunnyserver>
any suggestions?
12:40
<ogra>
scrapbunnyserver, gconpris and childsplay
12:40
*gcompris
12:41
<gbolte>
yeah in ltsp 4.2 we had pam script setup on gdm to auto log our users into edirectory so they could access public and their home dirs
12:41
that all went bye bye on our test box
12:41
when we switched to 5
12:41
haha
12:41
<scrapbunnyserver>
so the issues with gcompris in 7.10 have been fixed in 8.04?
12:41
<ogra>
ldm respects LDM_AUTOLOGIN, LDM_USERNAME and LDM_PASSWORD variables you can set in lts.conf
12:42
indeed thats slightly ugly because you have the password in a tftpable file )lts.conf)
12:42
<gbolte>
yeah
12:42
:/
12:42
<ogra>
there is also an opportunity to use ssh keys instead of passwords
12:42
but you need to wait for vagrantc for explanation, i personaly never used that mode
12:43
<gbolte>
we used pam script to grab the username and the users password and pass it to a script that would log the user into edirectory
12:43
<johnny>
all mine are guests
12:43
so it wouldnt' get me anywhere :)
12:43Guaraldo has quit IRC
12:43
<johnny>
err get them
12:43
oh noes.. somebody stole the guest login :)
12:43
<ogra>
heh
12:44
<johnny>
ogra.. so did you get my note earlier
12:44
or were there too many people pinging you and you missed it?
12:44
<ogra>
gbolte, what you need in any case is to set up ssh's pam on the server for your edirectory setup if you maintain your accounts there
12:45
johnny, there was a sentence i saw, yes
12:45
<johnny>
so.. atm.. all you could do is provide a cookie i think
12:45
<ogra>
i suppose you mean <johnny> The Settings Manager is a special control panel that runs on your local computer but is displayed within and accessed from the Adobe website.
12:45
<johnny>
but you'd still hve to find some way to set it ..
12:45
<ogra>
the accelleration you mean ?
12:45
<johnny>
yes
12:45
<gbolte>
ogra, sounds like a plan
12:45
:)
12:48
<scrapbunnyserver>
is there a way to mas create users in gcompris?
12:48
<ogra>
??
12:48
<scrapbunnyserver>
sorry mass create
12:49
<ogra>
what kind of users would you want to create in a game ?
12:49Guaraldo has joined #ltsp
12:49otavio_ is now known as otavio
12:50mikkel has quit IRC
12:50
<scrapbunnyserver>
it doesn't look like gcompris is picking up the client user. for example when i try to go into the chat area it doesn't show any other users
12:51
in gcompris administration there are no classes or users set up
12:53
i'll go do some reading and playing. thanks for your help and patents
12:55* ogra doesnt own patents *g*
12:56
<ogra>
i have parents though :)
12:58Shingoshi has quit IRC
13:00Shingoshi has joined #ltsp
13:15pscheie has quit IRC
13:17
<itais>
ogra:libnss-extrausers only works editing manually the password/group/shadow files, using adduser does not work for me. am I missing something?
13:17
authentication works perfectly, but I only can add users editing those files, not using standard tools
13:17
<ogra>
did you try useradd ?
13:18
adduser isnt easly scriptable
13:18
useradd is
13:25
<itais>
yes, of course, I'm trying useradd
13:26
but it always answers: unable to lock password file
13:26
I have mounted /var/lib/extrausers with tmpfs
13:28
<ogra>
do you use nfs or nbd there ?
13:29
<itais>
nfs for these tests
13:29
<ogra>
(in nfs that needs more fiddling, nbd uses unionfs on top and is writable through that)
13:29
you need to make the credetial files writable :)
13:29
<itais>
yeah, that's why I've added /var/lib/extrausers to the list of copy_dirs in /etc/default/ltsp-client-setup
13:30
<johnny>
and also /etc/passwd ..
13:30
it sounds like?
13:30
<ogra>
and shadow and groups
13:30
then useradd should work
13:30* ogra didnt use any nfs stuff in over a year, we dont have these probs in ubuntu
13:31
<itais>
but if I do writable /etc/.. why in the hell am I going to use libnss-extrausers
13:31
in such case I don't need it
13:31
<ogra>
right
13:31* ogra talked about useradd
13:31
<itais>
ah
13:31
so then useradd does not work with extrausers
13:32
I just wanted to know that, because it does not work for me and maybe it was my fault
13:33lns has quit IRC
13:34
<ogra>
warren, http://linux.via.com.tw/support/downloadFiles.action no fedora there ??
13:34lns has joined #ltsp
13:34
<warren>
ogra: why is their "upstream" project distro specific?
13:35
ogra: a lot of their website is nonsensical too
13:35
Bug Tracking and Forum, oops, under construction
13:35
<ogra>
yeah
13:35
<warren>
and their press release looked like Canonical was getting free press for nonsensical reasons
13:35
<ogra>
its more a promo thing, but still fedora isnt listed
13:35
<warren>
makes me wonder if VIA is getting "upstream" advice from Ubuntu
13:35
which makes me laugh
13:35
<ogra>
heh
13:36
<warren>
If they were serious about playing with the community they would use EXISTING infrastrutxure
13:36
<ogra>
if it gets them to a 6 month release schedule that way you will too, however sily it may be ;)
13:36
<warren>
X.org has a bug tracker, source control, mailing lists, etc.
13:36
<ogra>
*you will win too
13:36
<warren>
and what driver is this exactly?
13:37
x.org already abandoned the via driver for openchrome
13:37
<ogra>
unichrome
13:37
we have three different packages in ubuntu for via (two of them supported)
13:38
<warren>
this is idiocy
13:38
we will support only whatever is maintained at x.org
13:38
<ogra>
well, if you dont get upstrea to egre the code ....
13:38
<warren>
?
13:38
<ogra>
then you will lose a lot users
13:38
*merge
13:38
<warren>
I don't know what the story is
13:38
and i'm not the owner of this component
13:38
<ogra>
there are three different team working on three different drivers
13:39
<warren>
yes, that is horribly broken
13:39
<ogra>
each of them focuses on a certain chipset and only barely supports the others
13:39
neither of them can agree to merge the code to a single driver
13:40
its like that since over four years
13:41
not having the unichrome and openchrome drivers will lose you users .... the via driver only supports a limited set of cards and the code isnt ergeable so that you could patch it or something
13:41
*mergeable
13:41
<warren>
we dropped the via driver entirely
13:41
does this new via "upstream" even have a source control?
13:42
<ogra>
i thought via is the one we pull from xorg upstream
13:42
i know openchrome and unichrome dont come from xorg
13:47
<Gadi>
ogra: are all 3 in main now?
13:47
<ogra>
no
13:47
via and openchrome are
13:47
<Gadi>
can all 3 be installed concurrently?
13:48
<ogra>
no
13:48
openchrome and unichrome cant
13:48
both of them can go together with via
13:48
<warren>
the via driver situation has been ridiculous for a long time
13:48
<Gadi>
indeed
13:48
<warren>
the fork happened because of attitudes
13:48
<ogra>
thats why unichrome is still in universe
13:48makghosh has joined #ltsp
13:48
<ogra>
(as the name suggests :P )
13:49
<warren>
we have several openchrome developers working in fedora
13:49
<laga>
upstream bitching = bad.
13:49
as in "upstream dong stupd things", not "bitching about upstream" ;)
13:49
<warren>
that might have something to do with our dropping both via and unichrome
13:49
<laga>
and my i key isn't working.
13:49
<johnny>
in other news..
13:49
<ogra>
iiiiiiii
13:50
there you got some for copy paste
13:50
<johnny>
i tried flash on my 4 terminals last night
13:50
btw ogra, my issue turned out to be the fact that installing flash didn't pull in zlib32 or libstdc++ 32
13:50
<laga>
ogra: thanks, already got some in another channel.
13:50
<ogra>
heh
13:51
johnny, how did you find out ?
13:51
<johnny>
and also gcc32
13:51hersonls has joined #ltsp
13:51
<johnny>
cuz of the error of missing libgcc_s.so.1
13:51
<ogra>
warren, two of our drivers come from xorg git source, one comes from openchrome.org
13:51
so i dont get what you guys are doing
13:52
<warren>
I think the openchrome guys convinced ajax to abandon the other two
13:52
OH
13:52
the other two might not have been working at all
13:52
<johnny>
so.. flash n the clients was really slow :)
13:52
<warren>
due to libpciaccess
13:52
<johnny>
nee gigabit there..
13:52mccann has quit IRC
13:52
<johnny>
so temporarily i just copied the flash plaery to the main user's plugin directory..
13:54
<ogra>
did you disable the HW accel in the context menu ?
13:54
<johnny>
yes.. didn't help that much
13:55
i'll try again when i do the gigabit uplink
13:55
still waiting to see if the internet dies again from that computer
13:55
it died twice yesterday, and once the day before
13:55
it sucked, cuz there wasn't anything in the logs to go by, or dmesg
13:56
tried restarting networking, reload the network modules, reconnecting it, rebooting the router, etc
13:56
onlything that solved it is a reboot
13:56
i'll try out tcpdump and other heavier tools
13:57
<warren>
ogra: looking at x.org git for via and unichrome, both seem to have very little activity in the last yeras
13:57
<johnny>
it just sucks.. cuz when it breaks.. is at the time people are actually needing it to come right back up
13:57
so i don't get much time to experiment
13:57
<warren>
ogra: whatever via posted on their website isn't reflected here
13:57
<johnny>
it's just.. make it work :)
13:59
<ogra>
warren, i have no clue what via does there and i'm not anyhow involved with anything there, i just stubled over the website and saw that only suse and ubuntu are listed
13:59
<warren>
I looked at it earlier and this is just a huge pile of stupidity
14:00
and your company is only taking advantage of this for more proprietary advantage
14:00
<ogra>
nah, it makes a lot of sense for marketing :P
14:00
<warren>
instead of encouraging them to do a real upstream
14:00
VIA is getting bad advice
14:00
<ogra>
and its great to get a press note
14:00
<warren>
I might be willing to jump in and give VIA better advice
14:01
but I know how much shit has gone on between the three via driver forks
14:01
I'm not getting involved
14:01
huge time sink
14:01
<ogra>
feel free, i have no clue where viagets any advice
14:01
<dberkholz>
the xorg via driver is dead... libv (the main unichrome guy) is now working for suse on the radeon hd driver
14:01
so openchrome is about the only active thing left
14:01
<johnny>
warren, you are not being a good advocate ..
14:01
<warren>
johnny: neither is ubuntu acting in good faith here
14:01
<ogra>
??
14:02
<johnny>
warren, i'm not involved in any way shape or form with ubuntu
14:02
other than using it
14:02
<dberkholz>
lunchtime, bbl
14:02
<johnny>
but that wasnt' even my choice
14:02* ogra isnt aware of any connections between via and ubuntu
14:02
<johnny>
it was already here at my work
14:02
<warren>
ogra: right, it doesn't appear to be connected to you at all
14:02
<johnny>
and i just don't appreciate the way you are acting in these kind of discussions
14:02
is it not constructive at all
14:03
<warren>
You're correct, it would have been better to not say anything at all.
14:03
<johnny>
yes.. try to remember that :)
14:03
focus on the issues
14:03
nobody here is trying to screw anybody over
14:03
<warren>
Suffice to say the via driver situation is extremely screwed, and VIA's new website is showing that they totally don't get it.
14:04
<johnny>
ok.. much better :)
14:04
<warren>
but I think the same of Ubuntu
14:04
<johnny>
you sound like #debian
14:04
which is funny
14:05
<warren>
debian and fedora are very similar in our reasons why we dislike Ubuntu
14:05
<johnny>
fedora should just use debian
14:05
it'd make more sense
14:05
rpm should die
14:05* laga senses a major flamefest
14:06
<johnny>
then there'd never be debian vs fedora :)
14:06
and RHEL could do their own work :)
14:06
see.. that's a real flamefest starter :)
14:06
lol
14:06
<warren>
johnny: your opinion will be taken under consideration. =)
14:06
<johnny>
i don't use any of them by choice
14:07
fedora/debian/ubuntu ... :)
14:07
or suse.
14:07
forgot to mention them
14:08Shingoshi has quit IRC
14:08
<ogra>
warren, there is probably 20% in debian who dislike ubuntu, the majority works closely with us on their packages
14:08
<warren>
OK
14:08
<johnny>
and 10% of them don't have a leg to stand on in contributions anwyays :0
14:08
to even be able to deserve an opinion
14:09
<warren>
i'm trying to find the press release between via and Ubuntu
14:09
it was reeking of stupidity
14:10
<johnny>
like your MOM!
14:10
ZING!
14:10
lol
14:10Shingoshi has joined #ltsp
14:11
<johnny>
you guys should focus on the fun
14:11
for real
14:11
<ogra>
oh, mom, that reminds me
14:11* ogra looks at ubuntu MoM to see whats pending for him
14:12
<ogra>
hmm, i need to ask vagrnt about that
14:15
<warren>
here it is
14:15
http://www.via.com.tw/en/resources/pressroom/pressrelease.jsp?press_release_no=2227
14:15
VIA thinks open source means "work with Ubuntu's release cycle"?
14:15
it doens't appear that they've talked with x.org at all
14:16* Gadi wonders which of the 3 drivers they are referring to
14:16
<Gadi>
;)
14:16
<warren>
Gadi: it isn't integrated into any of the three
14:17
<Gadi>
I thought it was distributed with Ubuntu 8.10
14:17
(according to the release)
14:17
*8.04
14:17
I mean
14:18
<ogra>
warren, "The VIA Linux Portal will also adhere to a regular release schedule that is aligned with kernel changes and the release of major Linux distributions."
14:18
<Gadi>
ah, my fault "available from VIa portal"
14:18
<ogra>
can you point me to where that says ubuntu?
14:19K_O-Gnom has joined #ltsp
14:19
<Gadi>
ah - is "unichrome" via's own drivers?
14:19
<warren>
Gadi: more complicated than that
14:19
<ogra>
originally its a sourceforge project
14:19
<Gadi>
or are they just using that naming convention bec thats the chipset name?
14:20
<ogra>
rather
14:20
<Gadi>
but in via portal the downloads are unichrome*
14:20* Gadi guesses that refers to chipset name
14:20
<Gadi>
and not OSS project
14:20
<warren>
it appears that I'm going to have to write to tehm
14:21
<Gadi>
go warren, go warren, go g o go warren
14:21
<warren>
The part that I'm most afraid of here is that the driver "upstream" is fractured
14:21
<Gadi>
heh - few arent
14:21
:)
14:21
<warren>
what do you mean?
14:22
geode isn't fractured anymore, there is clear leadership and a single upstream repo
14:22
<Gadi>
fractured driver upstreams seem to be par for the course these days
14:22
especially when it comes to X
14:22
<warren>
the remaining bad player in geode (OLPC) is suffering as a result
14:22
Gadi: what are you referring to specifically?
14:22
<Gadi>
yeah, I know
14:22
I dunno - just bad experiences
14:22
prolly in the past
14:22
<warren>
yeah
14:22
<Gadi>
and if all is now kumbaya - Im happy
14:23
<warren>
I'm not aware of anything as screwed up as via now
14:23
<Gadi>
I have some via boards with trident drivers that are supposed to be of lesser quality
14:23
but they ROCK bec the trident driver is much better supported
14:23
<warren>
uses actual trident?
14:23
I think trident was dropped from X.org 1.5
14:23
as well as s3
14:23
because nobody bothered to port them
14:24
<Gadi>
well, good to know
14:24
<gbolte>
orga another question...ltsp 5 mounts local devices on the server in /tmp/.$USER-ltspfs....is it also supposed to symlink to the users desktop?
14:24
<Gadi>
Im still on 1.3
14:24
1.5 scares me, too
14:24
:)
14:24
<warren>
the bitching from users is only beginning now
14:24
Gadi: there is a bug in geode that appears on Xorg 1.5
14:24
Gadi: as more distros switch to Xorg 1.5 everyone will see it
14:24
<Gadi>
there's a bug that appears in 1.3, too
14:25
:)
14:25
<warren>
what is it?
14:25
<Gadi>
well, on my GX2 chipset, I have 2 remaining issues:
14:25
<warren>
the autoconfig thing cant be fixed until nsc/cyrix are merged in
14:25
<Gadi>
1. usplash won't go away (so I have to disable boot splash)
14:25
I think this is BIOS related perhaps
14:26
2. On widescreen displays, sometimes the display comes up weird
14:26
<ogra>
yep, it is
14:26
<Gadi>
ie, larger than the monitor or shifted horizontally
14:26
<warren>
Gadi: ah, I've seen that
14:26
<Gadi>
which is prolly that the VGA is not being kicked properly
14:26
<gbolte>
ogra, hmm mines busted then
14:26
:P
14:26
<Gadi>
but, that's a Jordanism
14:27
and I don't know how to fix it
14:27
:)
14:27
<scrapbunnyserver>
hi again. any recommendations for thin client and child friendly games besides those that come with edubuntu?
14:27
<Gadi>
and the GX gets less lovin than the LX
14:27
<warren>
A key lesson here... only intel has been an honest player working actively with the upstream project, and only their driver is any good.
14:27
<Gadi>
:(
14:27
<warren>
everyone else has a pile of problems
14:27
<Gadi>
agreed
14:27
<ogra>
amd/ati is geting there
14:27
*getting
14:27
<Gadi>
if only intel had a true eye towards low power clients
14:28
<warren>
ogra: although not through their own effort
14:28
<Gadi>
but they don't
14:28
<ogra>
warren, but they give away their full specs
14:28
<warren>
Gadi: EEEPC/Classmate or Atom-based things aren't low power enough?
14:28
<ogra>
which is sufficient imho
14:28
<Gadi>
laptops
14:28
maybe
14:28
few low-priced client options
14:29
non-laptop
14:29lns_ has joined #ltsp
14:29
<Gadi>
ie, they don't release those boards as separate consumables
14:29
<gbolte>
ogra, do you know what script is supposed to do the symlinking of local dev to the desktop
14:29
<ogra>
gbolte, none
14:29
we dont duo such things
14:29
<gbolte>
oh
14:29
hehe
14:29
I see
14:30
<ogra>
either your desktop properly monitors /media for mounts or not
14:30
you can hack up ltspfsmounter on the server
14:30
its a trivial python script
14:30
if you urgently want links on desktops
14:30
<gbolte>
ogra, its puttint it in /tmp/.user-ltspfs I dont think gnome is supposed to look there is it?
14:30lns has quit IRC
14:30
<ogra>
its putting it in /media
14:31* gbolte checks
14:31
<warren>
Gadi: supposedly there is a non-portable version of the eeepc
14:31
<ogra>
/media/$user/<devicename>
14:31
<warren>
Gadi: but they don't realize the potential of thin clients
14:31
<ogra>
precisely
14:31
<warren>
Gadi: the eeepc firmware fails to PXE boot if the power is plugged in during power on. funny firmware bug.
14:31
<gbolte>
12:31 kioskserv02:~ > ls /media/
14:31
madison
14:31
12:31 kioskserv02:~ > ls /tmp/.gbolte-ltspfs/
14:31
atacd-cdrom
14:32
<Gadi>
warren: exactly
14:32
<warren>
Gadi: but with i915 video and passive cooling that would be a pretty decent thin client
14:32
<johnny>
that is a funny bug :)
14:32
<Gadi>
warren: would be excellent
14:32
<scrapbunnyserver>
or any recommended thin client friendly website activities?
14:32
<Gadi>
cheapest mobo like that Ive seen is in the $200s
14:32
<johnny>
so.. who wants to donate some thin clients to an on profit :)
14:32
<ogra>
gbolte, what distro/release is that and which desktop ?
14:32
<johnny>
non profit*
14:33
<gbolte>
ogra, I am starting to think that opensuse has hacked this a bunch
14:33
<ogra>
aha
14:33
<gbolte>
its opensuse 10.3
14:33
<ogra>
suse :)
14:33
well, then cyberorg is your man
14:33
<warren>
If you lose a lot of money, does that count as non-profit?
14:33* gbolte eyes cyberorg
14:33
<ogra>
originally the mounts should now go directly to /media
14:33
<gbolte>
hmm
14:33
<johnny>
?
14:34
<gbolte>
ok well they hacked it to go to /tmp/.$USER-ltspfs
14:34
<ogra>
gbolte, the former version used to bind mount the tmp mount to media
14:34bobby_C has joined #ltsp
14:34
<ogra>
o he might use an older version
14:34
and you might miss lbmount (which is the suid binary doing the bind mount)
14:35
<gbolte>
I have that I think
14:35
12:31 kioskserv02:~ > lbmount
14:35
Error: progarm not installed setuid root: Success
14:35
lol
14:35
<ogra>
aha
14:35
fix that and it will work
14:35
<gbolte>
ok
14:35
<Gadi>
warren: do any of the eeepcs have a monitor out?
14:35
<gbolte>
how do I do that again ;)
14:35
<ogra>
Gadi, yup
14:35
<warren>
Gadi: that's the point of the non-portable version
14:36
<Gadi>
so, you can just keep it closed
14:36
or weld it shut
14:36
:)
14:36
<ogra>
gbolte, chmod +s iirc
14:36
<gbolte>
ogra, alright
14:36
<Gadi>
so only the nonportable has it?
14:37
<ogra>
me has seen only the first gen eee yet and that had a vga out
14:39
<gbolte>
well that fixed that issue
14:39
but its not putting it on the desktop still
14:39
:/
14:39
<ogra>
gnme ?
14:39
*gnome ?
14:39
gnome-vfs and gvfs handle that just fine
14:40
<gbolte>
yeah gnome
14:40
<ogra>
weird
14:40
wroks fine on ubuntu and debian
14:40
<gbolte>
yeah I have a cdrom in the servers cdrom drive and it shows up
14:40
<ogra>
and i think even on redhat
14:40
<gbolte>
hmm
14:41
<ogra>
(not sure how far warren got with localdev on RH)
14:41
<warren>
working great in F-9
14:41
F-8 wont appear on the desktop but it does mount
14:41
<gbolte>
weird
14:42
<ogra>
8 is using gnome-vfsi suppose
14:42scrapbunnyserver has left #ltsp
14:42
<warren>
yeah
14:42* gbolte thinks he needs to hack it to point to /mnt rather than media
14:42gregbrady has quit IRC
14:42
<ogra>
intresting, it worked from day one here
14:42
even on todays ancient gnome-vfs
14:42
<warren>
ogra: I didn't test it myself, it might be fine
14:43
<ogra>
ah
14:43
<warren>
ogra: this is a 3rd hand report
14:43
<ogra>
ok
14:43
<warren>
in nay case F-8 is not a huge priority for me
14:43
if somebody gives me a patch I'll apply it
14:44
<ogra>
yeah, understandable
14:44
<warren>
brb, I have to test an X bug
14:44warren has quit IRC
14:45
<gbolte>
so now wait a minute if you mount local devices like this anyone on any kiosk machine can read and write to any ones data?
14:45toscalix has quit IRC
14:47Pascal_1 has joined #ltsp
14:47
<gbolte>
oh wait no
14:47
nvm
14:47cliebow has quit IRC
14:47
<gbolte>
the actual device folder has proper permissions on it
14:47
heh
14:47
:D
14:47Pascal_1 has left #ltsp
14:51
<gbolte>
well that sucks
14:51
:/
14:52
I wonder what I need to change to make folders in /media show
14:52
er show on the desktop
14:55
I dont even know where to begin on that one
14:55
:/
14:58
<r3zon8>
im getting dhcpcd failed errors with HP t5125, but other clients boot fine..
14:59carl__ has quit IRC
14:59loather has quit IRC
14:59
<r3zon8>
google shows to updates ltsp-4.2, but i cant get ltsadmin to go through proxy
14:59Pascal_Debian has joined #ltsp
15:00carl__ has joined #ltsp
15:00loather has joined #ltsp
15:00warren has joined #ltsp
15:01
<r3zon8>
nm
15:02alekibango has quit IRC
15:02alekibango has joined #ltsp
15:03Pascal_Debian has left #ltsp
15:06
<gbolte>
:/
15:11hersonls has quit IRC
15:13
<gbolte>
ogra, is there some special udev rules or anything that need to be on the server to make gnome mount things in /media
15:13
?
15:13
<johnny>
this seems to be a suse specific issue..
15:13
right?
15:13
<gbolte>
I think so
15:13
I am not sure
15:14
I already had to suid the mounter so it would place localdev items in /media
15:14
rather than /tmp/.$USER-ltspfs
15:15
I am just wondering if there are more scripts that are broken in suse
15:15
heh
15:22
anyone know when cyberorg is around?
15:22
usually
15:24warren has quit IRC
15:27
<Gadi>
gbolte: check gconf-editor
15:27
volumes_visible iirc
15:28
actually, wait
15:28
check that
15:28
that doesnt necessarily apply to ltspfs
15:28warren has joined #ltsp
15:28
<gbolte>
hehe
15:29
I will check it and see
15:29
:)
15:29alekibango has quit IRC
15:29
<gbolte>
pattern not found
15:30alekibango has joined #ltsp
15:31
<gbolte>
oh wait
15:31
did the search weird
15:31
heh
15:31
<Gadi>
nm - its in apps>nautilus>desktop but mine is unchecked
15:31
thats not it
15:31
<gbolte>
yeah mine is checked
15:39TelnetManta has quit IRC
15:47
<gbolte>
hmm so on ubuntu the localdev icons on the desktop look like if you were to actually put a real cd or a real device into the machine and they are not just normal folders?
15:48
I am so close to having this work I can taste it
15:49
I just need to know what ubuntu gnome dose differently so that it can mount the folder to the user desktop
15:50
I was talking to the #gnome guys and basically got that gnome will not do anything with anything unless it produces a udev event
16:01Shingoshi has quit IRC
16:01Shingoshi has joined #ltsp
16:03
<gbolte>
Gadi, do you have a program called LDA-nautilus
16:03
?
16:06
<warren>
gbolte: On fedora I didn't have to do anything to make it appear on the desktop
16:06
gbolte: it works by showing anything that appears in /media on the desktop
16:06
<gbolte>
hmm
16:06
warren, I wish I knew how to make that happen on opensuse
16:06
:/
16:06
heh
16:07
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Updated_Version_For_Feisty#head-583980fa58383797a63b7bff5ca913980c0f62ef
16:07
I found that
16:07
but its for feisty
16:07
looks like they hacked together a script to make it all happen
16:13
ogra, ldm just passes the username and password that is supplied to it straight to ssh correct?
16:14J45p3r has joined #ltsp
16:16
<gbolte>
warren, are you on Fedora right now?
16:17
<warren>
gbolte: I use nothing but fedora
16:17
<gbolte>
heh
16:17
<warren>
and no, I have no ideas for you
16:17
it just worked here
16:17
<gbolte>
well I was wondering if gnome will create an icon if you just create a folder in /media
16:18
or sym link some folder to /media
16:18
<warren>
no
16:18
<gbolte>
so gnome is getting an event from somewhere
16:18
its not actually monitoring that folder
16:18Skarmeth has quit IRC
16:19
<gbolte>
there must be a script that I am missing or something
16:20makghosh has quit IRC
16:20slipttees has joined #ltsp
16:22
<warren>
GNOME does treat /media and $HOME specially
16:22
both gnome-vfs and gvfs have code that treat it specially
16:22makghosh has joined #ltsp
16:22* gbolte thinks that opensuse broke it
16:22
<gbolte>
:D
16:26
its so frustrating because I am so close to getting local dev working
16:26
and yet without the icons on the desktop its un-useable
16:26RLa has joined #ltsp
16:27
<RLa>
as i understand, ltsp supports swap over nfs, does it use these patches: http://programming.kicks-ass.net/kernel-patches/vm_deadlock/?
16:31itais has quit IRC
16:32slipttees has quit IRC
16:33
<johnny>
well.. RLa on ubuntu it would normally be swap over nbd
16:33
not nfs
16:33
<Gadi>
ltsp has not supported swap over nfs since v4.1
16:33
<RLa>
oh
16:34
i have system on flash card, /var and /tmp are mounted over nfs, system has no swap
16:34gregbrady has joined #ltsp
16:35
<RLa>
so i was looking for possibilities for mounting swap over nfs
16:35
<Gadi>
the patches for it were for kernel 2.4
16:35
<RLa>
accoring to this: http://kerneltrap.org/Linux/Swap_Over_NFS pathches from there would make it possible
16:36
<Gadi>
when ltsp moved to kernel 2.6 we went to ltsp-over-nbd
16:36
er swap over nbd
16:36
bec, basically Jim was maintaining the patch
16:36
<RLa>
no, these are new patches, from the beginning of 2008
16:36
<Gadi>
ah
16:36
well, we havent looked back
16:36johnny has quit IRC
16:36
<Gadi>
:)
16:37
<RLa>
i know, some people think swap over nfs is useless
16:37
as you can read from comments there
16:37johnny has joined #ltsp
16:37
<RLa>
it's not very important to me also, since i have only one thin client at home and i just want to save that old machine
16:38
adding memory is not an option, machine does not support it
16:38
<gbolte>
heh
16:39
<RLa>
i currenlty run slackware 10 from flash disk with rewritten init scripts
16:39
it has been working very well
16:39
tho it complains about some files not writable
16:39Q-FUNK has joined #ltsp
16:42
<gbolte>
https://bugs.launchpad.net/gnome-vfs/+bug/50554 <---this makes it look like ubuntu has done some serious gnome hacking to get LTSP to mount devices correctly
16:43hersonls has joined #ltsp
16:44Gadi has left #ltsp
16:44hersonls has quit IRC
16:47
<RLa>
i'm going to test this new way of swap over nfs
16:47RLa has quit IRC
16:50artista_frustrad has quit IRC
16:51soneyka has quit IRC
16:52
<johnny>
gbolte, that's a small hack
16:52
<Q-FUNK>
damn. just as I arrive, Gadi goes
16:52* johnny goes to where his thin clients are
16:53
<johnny>
bb online in a bit
16:56
<gbolte>
ugh
16:59
johnny, do you know if that bug was submitted upstream
16:59
or is it only fixed in ubuntu
17:03RLa has joined #ltsp
17:04
<RLa>
damn, couldn't test, forgot loopback device support in kernel
17:05* RLa compiles new kernel
17:06
<RLa>
here we go again
17:06RLa has quit IRC
17:11
<gbolte>
lol
17:11
<Q-FUNK>
heh
17:11* gbolte is still trying to figure out why gnome-vfs is being lame
17:11
<gbolte>
;/
17:12
<Q-FUNK>
kernel for what?
17:12
<gbolte>
brb
17:12gbolte has quit IRC
17:17gbolte has joined #ltsp
17:17
<gbolte>
hmm
17:17
well that didnt fix anything
17:19nantes_geek has quit IRC
17:21Guaraldo has left #ltsp
17:22* gbolte curses gnome-vfs
17:27bobby_C has quit IRC
17:30Q-FUNK has quit IRC
17:30
<gbolte>
gurrr
17:30
I can not for the life of me figure out this damn gnome-vfs problem
17:31
warren, are you still here
17:37RLa has joined #ltsp
17:37
<RLa>
it's working
17:38
<gbolte>
what is
17:38
<RLa>
i enabled 500MB od swap over nfs
17:38
<gbolte>
ah cool
17:38
good job
17:38
:D
17:38johnny_ has joined #ltsp
17:38
<gbolte>
I wish I could have some luck with gnome
17:38
<RLa>
now let's see if it will crash after some usage
17:38
<gbolte>
bah
17:38
<RLa>
what's up with gnome?
17:39
<gbolte>
haha well its supposed to put devices from the client boxes on the desktop
17:39
but mine dosent
17:39
lol
17:40
<RLa>
hm, i have no idea how desktop things work..
17:41
<gbolte>
hehe
17:41
they do work though right?
17:41
<RLa>
you can't imagine how much time it took from me to get rid of carbage bin from kde desktop
17:41
<gbolte>
hehe
17:42
<RLa>
it was not file of course
17:42
tho everything is supposed to be file
17:46gbolte has quit IRC
18:22mib_24yid6 has joined #ltsp
18:22mib_24yid6 has left #ltsp
18:37soneyka has joined #ltsp
18:47K_O-Gnom has quit IRC
18:52RLa has quit IRC
19:16gregbrady has quit IRC
19:23cliebow has joined #ltsp
19:24
<cliebow>
rjune: i tried smbldap-useradd against my slapd in hardy..upgraded from gutsy..no slapd crash here
19:28spectra has joined #ltsp
19:56johnny_ has quit IRC
19:59Shingoshi has quit IRC
20:00TelnetManta has joined #ltsp
20:03Shingoshi has joined #ltsp
20:23hersonls has joined #ltsp
20:28alekibango has quit IRC
20:28alekibango has joined #ltsp
20:36asac_ has quit IRC
20:36gentgeen__ has quit IRC
20:36xachen has quit IRC
20:36ltsppbot has quit IRC
20:36jonkke has quit IRC
20:36asac_ has joined #ltsp
20:36gentgeen__ has joined #ltsp
20:36xachen has joined #ltsp
20:36ltsppbot has joined #ltsp
20:36jonkke has joined #ltsp
20:36J45p3r has quit IRC
20:59cliebow has quit IRC
21:05captain_magnus has quit IRC
21:10captain_magnus has joined #ltsp
21:27hersonl1 has joined #ltsp
21:34ufo_ has quit IRC
21:35ufo_ has joined #ltsp
21:39hersonl1 has joined #ltsp
21:39hersonl1 has quit IRC
21:45hersonls has quit IRC
22:15gregbrady has joined #ltsp
22:48vagrantc has joined #ltsp
23:23
<johnny>
so, did a new setting get added to turn on AUTOLOGIN since the gutsy release?
23:24
<vagrantc>
LDM_AUTOLOGIN=True
23:24
and optionally, LDM_USERNAME and LDM_PASSWORD
23:25
<johnny>
you actually have to set it now?
23:25
<vagrantc>
yes.
23:25
<johnny>
ok
23:26
<vagrantc>
but, as i said, LDM_USERNAME and LDM_PASSWORD are optional.
23:26
<johnny>
what does it do then?
23:26
<vagrantc>
so it's overall 1 less thing to set.
23:26
defaults to the hostname
23:26
<johnny>
aha!
23:26
finally!
23:26
that makes me happy :)
23:26
will that also work with the guest login?
23:26
<vagrantc>
ssh keys will also work
23:26
yup
23:27
<johnny>
lemme rephrase for clarity
23:27
<vagrantc>
the only difference between guest login and autologin is that guest login displays the greeter with a button to log in with
23:27gregbrady has quit IRC
23:27
<johnny>
oh.. cool
23:27
<vagrantc>
and it's possible to select a different user manually
23:28
<johnny>
so.. this made it into hardy?
23:28
<vagrantc>
i *think* so, but i'm not positive.
23:28
<johnny>
well.. i can always repackage if necessary..
23:29
hmm.. guess all it needs now is timed guest login
23:29
:)
23:29
<vagrantc>
indeed.
23:30
<johnny>
ok.. i think i'm finally getting out of a little funk i was in
23:30
i had to give some stuff a rest for awhile
23:41makghosh has quit IRC
23:44
<johnny>
vagrantc, the naming between ROOT and CHROOT seems a bit inconsistant
23:44
i'm having trouble understanding the logic there
23:49cyberorg has quit IRC
23:51
<johnny>
got it..
23:54cyberorg has joined #ltsp
23:57generic has joined #ltsp
23:57
<generic>
hi all
23:58
ogra u there?
23:58makghosh has joined #ltsp