IRC chat logs for #ltsp on irc.freenode.net (webchat)


Channel log from 29 August 2007   (all times are UTC)

00:08cyberorg has joined #ltsp
00:09sbalneav has quit IRC
00:14evilgold has quit IRC
00:14subir has joined #ltsp
00:15evilgold has joined #ltsp
00:18Faithful has quit IRC
00:19Faithful has joined #ltsp
00:26
<gonzaloaf>
jammcq, are still here ?
00:58gentgeen__ has quit IRC
00:59Faithful1 has joined #ltsp
01:00Faithful has quit IRC
01:09ari_stress has joined #ltsp
01:10
<ari_stress>
i'm back :)
01:14ari_stress2 has joined #ltsp
01:19highvoltage has quit IRC
01:24highvoltage has joined #ltsp
01:32
<ari_stress2>
wow, printing is finally working in my ltsp5 :D
01:33
thanks to steven :)
01:34ari_stress has quit IRC
01:42
<ari_stress2>
i mean, thanks to Scott :D
01:48plamengr has joined #ltsp
01:48tux_440volt has joined #ltsp
02:03ltspbot` has joined #ltsp
02:11ltspbot has quit IRC
02:15cyberorg has quit IRC
02:16cyberorg has joined #ltsp
02:18cyberorg has quit IRC
02:20cyberorg has joined #ltsp
02:24vagrantc has joined #ltsp
02:26cyberorg has quit IRC
02:27cyberorg has joined #ltsp
02:29Avatara has joined #ltsp
02:31cyberorg has quit IRC
02:32cyberorg has joined #ltsp
02:38cyberorg has quit IRC
02:38cyberorg has joined #ltsp
02:43cyberorg has quit IRC
02:48vagrantc has quit IRC
02:51* tux_440volt will be back soon: Gone away for now.
02:51* tux_440volt will be back soon: Gone away for now.
02:52* tux_440volt is back.
02:52Avatara has quit IRC
02:53exodos has joined #ltsp
02:55subir has quit IRC
02:57ari_stress2 has quit IRC
02:57ari_stress has joined #ltsp
03:11cyberorg has joined #ltsp
03:14cyberorg has quit IRC
03:14cyberorg has joined #ltsp
03:29killsalad has joined #ltsp
03:30
<killsalad>
hi all i've got a question : How can I configure LTSP5 (ubuntu) to work with skype (1.4 beta), i've learnt that is possible with alsa
03:31
but i don't know how enable alsa on terminal - pulseaudio worked somehow out of the box
03:38indradg_ has quit IRC
03:44cyberorg has quit IRC
03:44
<ari_stress>
you mean skype doesnt work with pulseaudio?
03:45
i havent tried it
03:45
pulseaudio works ok with mp3 though, i've just tried it. cool
03:48
<killsalad>
yes,
03:49
i've read about posiblity of installing alsa for terminals but - it was only mentioned
03:51plamengr has quit IRC
03:51EXP2 has joined #ltsp
03:51
<EXP2>
is this channel loggeg somewhere?
03:52
logged
03:53plamengr has joined #ltsp
03:57
<EXP2>
ogra, you here?
04:00
i have a total blackout what was that other package to install to get nvidia drivers work
04:02killsalad has quit IRC
04:06subir has joined #ltsp
04:07tux_440volt has quit IRC
04:37EXP2 has quit IRC
04:39subir has quit IRC
04:43subir has joined #ltsp
04:44freeloc has joined #ltsp
04:48K_O-Gnom has joined #ltsp
04:56
<sep>
nvidia-glx ?
04:57ari_stress has quit IRC
05:14cyberorg has joined #ltsp
05:14Avatara has joined #ltsp
05:27cyberorg has quit IRC
05:28cyberorg has joined #ltsp
05:31gentgeen__ has joined #ltsp
05:31cyberorg has quit IRC
05:33cyberorg has joined #ltsp
05:40plamengr has quit IRC
05:40plamengr has joined #ltsp
05:47K_O-Gnom has quit IRC
05:49plamengr has quit IRC
05:51plamengr has joined #ltsp
05:52MoL0ToV has quit IRC
05:53plamengr has quit IRC
05:54plamengr has joined #ltsp
06:00plamengr has quit IRC
06:07plamengr has joined #ltsp
06:31cyberorg has quit IRC
06:33cyberorg has joined #ltsp
06:39Avatara has quit IRC
06:48
<joris>
ogra: you in?
06:48
<ogra>
yup
06:48
partially at least
06:49
<joris>
hehe
06:49
I'm trying to enable local devices on ltsp
06:49
following https://wiki.ubuntu.com/EnableLTSP5LocalDevices
06:50
you (?) mention the user and group administration tool
06:50
where is that tool available, and what does it do? (I presume adding the user to the fuse group?
06:52jammcq has quit IRC
06:52cliebow_ has joined #ltsp
06:52
<cliebow>
joris, in edubuntu under SYstem->aadministration usersandgroups
06:52cliebow_ has quit IRC
06:53
<joris>
ah, great :)
06:53
thanks
06:53
<ogra>
yeah
06:53
it adds them toi the fuse group
06:54K_O-Gnom has joined #ltsp
06:54
<joris>
ogra: I got to say... the ltsp integration in edubuntu is deliciously exellent
06:54
<cliebow>
getting better all the time 8~)
06:55
<joris>
if i only could get screen sharing to work
06:55
<cliebow>
a little better..all the time
06:55
<joris>
I installed x11vnc in the client's root
06:55
<cliebow>
yes./
06:55
<joris>
but that's probably not enough
06:55
<ogra>
should be enough
06:56
<cliebow>
should be to use vncviewer
06:56
works in gutsy for me
06:56
<ogra>
even though the howto on the wiki only gets yoiu the basic support ...
06:56
tweaking that to 800x600 withj compression etc would make sense
06:56
<joris>
this is only a feisty :/
06:57
<ogra>
should work in feisty after the howto
06:57
<joris>
hmm, I'm going to try to find the howto
06:58
<ogra>
https://wiki.edubuntu.org/InstallX11VncOnLtspClients
06:58
<cliebow>
dang..i have the url at school
06:58
<joris>
probably in the teachertool docs?
06:58
ah
06:58
<cliebow>
and ther it is..
06:58
joris:have you used teachertool with vnc button?
06:58
<ogra>
teachertool isnt supported by ltsp5 (not in gutsy at least, i know the developer works on integrating it atm)
06:58
s/in gutsy/up to gutsy/
06:59
<joris>
cliebow: the thin client manager with the screen viewer tab
06:59
<cliebow>
it will be awesome
07:00
<joris>
you should really see where I'm sitting
07:01* ogra is pondering italc for gutsy+1 instead of thin-client-manager
07:01dan__t has quit IRC
07:01dan__t has joined #ltsp
07:01
<ogra>
they offer the same, with the difference that italc will also run on normal workstationa while TCM is pretty ltsp focused
07:02
<joris>
hmm, I wonder
07:02
if I enable automatic login based on mac address
07:02
(one user per computer)
07:02
(per client)
07:02
<ogra>
ldm doesnt support that yet
07:03
that needs gutsy
07:03
<joris>
it doesn't?
07:03Guaraldo has joined #ltsp
07:03
<joris>
hmm, that makes the actual questy moot
07:03
<ogra>
not in the feisty version, no
07:03
gutsy has a completely redone ldm with tons of new features
07:04
<joris>
cool
07:04
but that's not 'till Q4 :(
07:04
<ogra>
autologin, unencrypted X (for multimedia), first implementaztion of a load balancing mechanism (select between different servers if you want)
07:05
new themeing and new GUI
07:05
<joris>
hmmm, interesting!
07:11
<cliebow>
awesome!
07:15tux_440volt has joined #ltsp
07:17* ogra twiddles thumbs waiting for sbalneav to remove the breakage from his tree ....
07:17plamengr has quit IRC
07:17plamengr has joined #ltsp
07:24* cliebow cliebow puts laptop on windowsill to get connection
07:28savetheWorld has quit IRC
07:37Blinny has joined #ltsp
07:48topslakr_ has quit IRC
08:09subir has quit IRC
08:12sbalneav has joined #ltsp
08:13
<sbalneav>
Morning all
08:13
<highvoltage>
morning sbalneav
08:13
<sbalneav>
Hey highvoltage
08:13
!seen ogra
08:13
<ltspbot`>
sbalneav: ogra was last seen in #ltsp 55 minutes and 54 seconds ago: * ogra twiddles thumbs waiting for sbalneav to remove the breakage from his tree ....
08:13
<sbalneav>
Uhoh
08:13
ogra: My tree brokeeen?
08:23muh2000_ has joined #ltsp
08:24plamengr has quit IRC
08:26plamengr has joined #ltsp
08:36plamengr has quit IRC
08:37plamengr has joined #ltsp
08:40muh2000 has quit IRC
08:42
<sbalneav>
ogra: Pingity
08:50
<ogra>
ah, finally
08:51
sbalneav, can you revert the broken theme stuff you merged from vagrant so i can do the merge
08:51
<sbalneav>
Sure!
08:51
<ogra>
thanks :)
08:51gonzaloaf_work has quit IRC
08:52
<ogra>
might be that it downsizes the package to link there, but it takes the opportunity to use custom QT buttons for kubuntu or dedicated xubuntu themeing
08:52gonzaloaf_work has joined #ltsp
08:54
<sbalneav>
How do I revert to a version?
08:54
I want to revert to 445
08:54
<ogra>
bzr uncommit
08:55
like you did with the update-image stuff yesterday
08:55
<sbalneav>
can you specify a branch number?
08:55
I need to go back two
08:55cyberorg has quit IRC
08:56
<sbalneav>
ok, I've uncommitted twice
08:57
oin$ bzr status
08:57
removed:
08:57
client/ldmgtkgreet/themes/Debian/bg.png
08:57
client/ldmgtkgreet/themes/Debian/greeter-gtkrc
08:57
client/ldmgtkgreet/themes/Debian/host.png
08:57
...
08:57
etc
08:57cyberorg has joined #ltsp
08:57
<sbalneav>
what now?
08:59
ogra: I uncommitted, but those files didn't come back
09:00
<ogra>
revert as well
09:00
bzr revert client/ldmgtkgreet/themes/*
09:00
i'm fine if vagrant decides for Debian to use links
09:00
but not for xu and kubuntu
09:01
they need to have the opportunity to replace the icons
09:02
<sbalneav>
From status, I've got:
09:02
pending merges:
09:02
Vagrant Cascadian 2007-08-27 use symlink for common theme files for xubun...
09:02
Vagrant Cascadian 2007-08-27 use symlink for common theme files for kubu...
09:02
Vagrant Cascadian 2007-08-27 symlink common files from the Debian theme ...
09:02
Vagrant Cascadian 2007-08-27 use debian's logo for the Debian theme
09:02
How do I cancel a pending merge.
09:03
<ogra>
revert again ? hmm
09:03
<sbalneav>
I'm afraid if I commit now, I'll end up with the merge again
09:03
<ogra>
yes
09:05
<sbalneav>
Sooo, what should I do? :)
09:05
"Help me, ogra-wan, you're my only hope!"
09:06* sbalneav imagins ogra with his hair done up in a couple of cinnamon-bun swirls beside his head
09:06
<ogra>
bzr revert
09:06
with no path ...
09:07
that should revert everything since the last commit
09:07
<sbalneav>
ok
09:07
ah, worked.
09:07
ok, one sec...
09:07
<ogra>
the patch from francis is fine ....
09:09
<sbalneav>
yeah, I've re-added that.
09:09
<ogra>
great
09:10
<sbalneav>
pushing.
09:10Clown-MG has joined #ltsp
09:10
<sbalneav>
hey, I'm working on docs now, what was the procedure to switch from the default nbd root back to nfs?
09:10
arrrgh
09:10
<Clown-MG>
tem como fazer logon remoto
09:10
sorry
09:10
<sbalneav>
oin$ bzr push
09:10
Using saved location: sftp://sbalneav@bazaar.launchpad.net/~sbalneav/ltsp/scotts-gutsy/
09:10
bzr: ERROR: These branches have diverged. Try using "merge" and then "push".
09:11
<ogra>
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/UbuntuLTSP/LTSPWithoutNFS
09:11
well, merge then ...
09:11
<sbalneav>
merge with myself? Won't that just re-delete the stuff again?
09:12
yup
09:12
it did
09:12
ARGH
09:14
<ogra>
did you commit xyour removals before pulling ?
09:16
err, pushing indeed
09:17
<sbalneav>
yup
09:23
whew
09:23
ok try that
09:25
ogra: Should be ok to merge now.
09:25
<ogra>
doing
09:25
argh
09:26
lots and lots of conflicts
09:26
<snorp>
ogra: hey, are you one of the dudes working on the nbd support?
09:26
<ogra>
snorp, yup
09:27
<snorp>
ogra: I am trying to use something similar (nbd + squashfs/aufs) on a thing I am working on
09:27
ogra: wondered if you ever had a problem with it hanging frequently
09:27
<ogra>
sbalneav, your tree is full of unsolved conflicts (look for .THIS .BASE and .OTHER files)
09:28
snorp, nope, worked fine since we started (modulo some nbd-server bugs that were solved along the way by sbalneav )
09:28
<snorp>
ogra: what sort of bugs? :)
09:28
I am using nbd-server 2.9.5, would that have your fixes?
09:29
<ogra>
one was inetd related ... one about a segfault on shutdown
09:29
<snorp>
ah
09:29
I am not using inetd
09:29
<sbalneav>
oin$ cd scotts-gutsy/
09:29
oin$ ls
09:29
ChangeLog client COPYING debian po server TODO
09:29
oin$ find . -name "*.THIS"
09:29
oin$ find . -name "*.BASE"
09:29
oin$ find . -name "*.OTHER"
09:29
<ogra>
dont remember them all, but rather trivial ones ...
09:29
<snorp>
ok
09:29
thanks
09:29
maybe my aufs is busted
09:30
<sbalneav>
bzr conflicts reports nothing
09:30
<ogra>
sbalneav, strange ... i have to rewrite half my tree if i want to merge :(
09:30
<sbalneav>
Should I merge from you again?
09:30
<ogra>
try to ... see what happens
09:30
<sbalneav>
k, one sec
09:30
<ogra>
something is badly out of sync
09:31bobby_C has joined #ltsp
09:31
<sbalneav>
oin$ bzr conflicts
09:31
oin$ bzr merge http://bazaar.launchpad.net/~ubuntu-core-dev/ltsp/gutsy-ltsp
09:31
Nothing to do.
09:31
oin$ bzr conflicts
09:32
<ogra>
we're talking about scotts-gutsy, right ?
09:32
<sbalneav>
yup
09:32
<ogra>
hmm
09:32
<sbalneav>
/usr/legal/home/sbalneav/src/bzr/scotts-gutsy
09:32
<ogra>
14 conflicts encountered.
09:33Mineque has joined #ltsp
09:33
<sbalneav>
where, on those theme files?
09:33
<Mineque>
hello
09:33
<sbalneav>
hello
09:33
<Mineque>
little problem with nbd swap
09:33
<ogra>
sbalneav, nope, more essential stuff
09:34
<Mineque>
i've got on boot error that /deb/nbd0 doesnt exist
09:34
<ogra>
client/ldmgtkgreet/src/* completely for example
09:34
<sbalneav>
your tree hasn't shown an update to me for 2 weeks
09:34
have you made changes and not pushed?
09:34
<ogra>
gah !
09:34
GAH !!!!!
09:34
yes :((((
09:34
<sbalneav>
uhoh
09:35
<ogra>
on its way
09:35
<sbalneav>
well, undo the merge, push, and I'll merge with you again, and we'll resolve 'em.
09:35
Mineque: What version of ltsp, on what server?
09:35
<Mineque>
4.2
09:35
gentoo
09:35
ltspswapd
09:35
<sbalneav>
Ah.
09:36
<Mineque>
modified nbd
09:36
<ogra>
https://help.launchpad.net/PPAQuickStart
09:36
btw ... ^^^^^
09:36
<sbalneav>
gentoo kind of went their own way, and made a lot of changes to 4.2.
09:36
best to take it up with whoever's maintaining 4.2 in Gentoo.
09:36
<Mineque>
dberkholz or cliebow ?
09:36
<ogra>
Mineque, udev usually creates /dev/nbd* if the nbd module ist getting loaded
09:37
<Mineque>
i dont remember :P
09:37
ogra: i have loaded nbd module
09:37
<ogra>
and are running udevd on the client ?
09:37
else you will need to have a script doing mknod or so ...
09:37
<Mineque>
udev
09:38
<sbalneav>
dberkholz is handling the ltsp5 port, I don't think he did the 4.2 stuff
09:38
and cliebow's got nothing to do with gentoo.
09:38
Doesn't portage tell you who handled the port?
09:39
ogra: pushed yet?
09:39
<ogra>
yep
09:39
<sbalneav>
k, I'll merge
09:40
ok, I've got 3 conflicts
09:40
I'll fix
09:41
<ogra>
hmm, i wonder if using HOME is really a good idea ...
09:41
we should probably rather acll that TEMPDIR or so and not re-use a default variable
09:42
*call
09:42
(for the x config script)
09:42
<sbalneav>
I was wondering that myself
09:42
but since I didn't have time to play with it, and he said that worked, I just added it :)
09:42
<ogra>
even it wont break it looks ugly imho
09:43
ah, right, Xorg might just read that
09:43
well, we should at least set it back to what it was after the script was run if we modify it
09:43
<sbalneav>
ok, just let me verify:
09:44
<joebaker>
ogra: I seem to recall you pointed out that FireFox spike requirements for RAM
09:44
to go way up beyond normal levels. I'm wondering if we shouldn't put in a
09:44
feature request to FF to have a max image threshold bool and then a
09:44
setting for the maximum image size we want to try to display.
09:44
<sbalneav>
>>> MERGE-SOURCE blah <<< TREE blah === blah <<< MERGE-SOUCE
09:44
Your changes are the things AFTER the === line, right?
09:45
<joebaker>
Dimensions, data size. I had a 32 mb machine freeze up several times this morning :(
09:45
<ogra>
MERGE-SOUCE to the === is my stuff
09:45
32M even hardly boots :)
09:45
joebaker, thats on feisty ?
09:45
<joebaker>
yep
09:45
Yes
09:46
<ogra>
got nbd swap enabled ?
09:46
<joebaker>
on feisty... startx script instead of ldm. nbd is set to 132MB
09:46
<ogra>
might be that response is to slow with nbd here
09:47
so if X starts swapping it migth hang until the data is shoveled around between swam and ram
09:47
*swap
09:47
<joebaker>
I have other boxes to upgrade it with. I just thought I'd pass the Moz FF idea on to you.
09:48
<sbalneav>
ogra: Man, you hate that cancel button, eh? :)
09:48
<ogra>
i was looking at the attempt of the ubuntu mobile team to developü a cut down version of FF ... but thats far from being done
09:48
sbalneav, yeah :)
09:48
sbalneav, there is a lot in the UI i dont like yet ...
09:48
<sbalneav>
OK, because I love you so much, I'll remove it. :)
09:49
<ogra>
we should have it back with a config option at some point ... i see it has a right to live, i just dont want it in my house :P
09:51
joebaker, if you have some spare ram on the server and use nbd swap a lot, i'd suggest to create a tmpfs mount and put your swapfiles there ...
09:51
the server can access them as fast as its own ram then ...
09:52
that speeds up mem access of the client (up to the point where the network becomes the bottleneck indeed)
09:52
i have booted 24M clients with gutsy (using nbd swap from initramfs already) that worked quite well with two clients here
09:53
<sbalneav>
ogra: merged and pushed
09:53
<ogra>
but i suspect 10 clients constantly swapping might saturate the net
09:53* ogra hugs sbalneav
09:53
<ogra>
hrm
09:54
ah, it was only LP slowness
09:54
<sbalneav>
hm?
09:54
<ogra>
second attempt applies fine
09:55
\o/
09:55
<sbalneav>
Tell rocket man to buy a bigger box :)
09:55
hey, btw
09:55
<ogra>
:'-/
09:56
^^^^^ a tear for the old greeter going
09:56
<ltsppbot>
"sbalneav" pasted "debdiff to add manuals for nbd-server" (43 lines) at http://pastebot.ltsp.org/295
09:56
<sbalneav>
It had a good run :)
09:57
I think that's what you wanted for the nbd-server patch.
09:57
I tested it at home last night, and it works as expected.
09:57
<ogra>
built in pbuilder ?
09:57
<sbalneav>
It sure did!
09:57
<ogra>
good :)
09:58
<sbalneav>
I'm starting to get the hang of that thing :)
09:58
You'd make that guy in poland a happy dude if you could use your mighty, mighty core dev powers and apply that diff
09:58
<ogra>
yeah, its lovely :)
09:59
will do right away
09:59
<sbalneav>
You and I need to buy each other several pitchers of beer in Boston.
10:01
<ogra>
heh, yes
10:01
oh my ... i'll spend an hour to format the changelog for that commit (to make it all look like fixes :P )
10:03* ogra is tempted to just add "* merged fixes from scott" to the changelog ... risking that someone asks :)
10:09daya has joined #ltsp
10:10
<sbalneav>
That's the dch log?... Hmmm, might be a LITTLE vague for some people. Me, personally, I'd know what you ment :)
10:11
<ogra>
indeed
10:11
no no, i wont do that
10:11* ogra tries to remember the bug number for the reboot/shutdown stuff
10:16staffencasa has joined #ltsp
10:25K_O-Gnom has quit IRC
10:25
<ogra>
ogra@laptop:~/packages/nbd-2.9.6$ patch -p1 --dry-run < ../nbd.patch|grep FAILEDHunk #1 FAILED at 68.
10:25
1 out of 1 hunk FAILED -- saving rejects to file debian/rules.rej
10:25
sbalneav, :(
10:26
easy enough to fix manually though
10:26
<sbalneav>
You know, that happened to hobsee as well.
10:26
What did I do wrong?
10:26
I do an apt-get source nbd-server
10:26
cd nbd-...
10:26
fix
10:27
debbuild -Rsa fakeroot blah
10:27
cd ..
10:27
pbuilder build new.dsc
10:27
install, est
10:27
test, even
10:27
and then just a debdiff old.dsc, new.dsc
10:27
<ogra>
not sure, let me copy the tree and see the .rej file
10:28
<sbalneav>
That's the correct procedure, afaik
10:28
Hey, LOVE the new configure-x.sh by the way.
10:29
we can fix ram now, and we got back X_MODEs !
10:29
\o/ for ogra
10:30
<ogra>
:)
10:31
it still has its disadvantages
10:31
<sbalneav>
Like, what?
10:31
<ogra>
and still needs some fixes (it shouldnt fire if you start it a second time for example ...)
10:31
disadvantage: ldm starting slower due to starting X twice in a row
10:32
and odd user experience due to seeing the screen flash twice
10:32
<sbalneav>
Oh, that's easy. touch /tmp/.xconfigalready run, and do a test -f at the beginning.
10:32
<ogra>
but thats unavoidable, else we'd break usplash Xorg needs to start once to probe the monitor
10:32
right, supressing is easy
10:33
the consmetic stuff isnt
10:33
*cosmetic
10:33
<sbalneav>
Meh, it's fast enough to make no nevermind. I'd rather have an extra screenflash in exchange for the hugely increased functionality.
10:34
Not having X_MODE_* parms was a huge PITA.
10:34
<ogra>
well, i still always think X is crashed when i see the first flash not bring up anything
10:35
(i must admit i reboot rarely if i can avoid to)
10:35
<sbalneav>
If we really wanted to, we could do something along the lines of what we used to do: pci scan, and then set the driver based on that.
10:36
<ogra>
well, we'd have to maintain that then
10:36
with our own DB
10:36
<sbalneav>
really, the rest of the org file's pretty stock
10:36
<ogra>
well
10:36
if you have weird displays it will break without having the ddc data in the file
10:37
<sbalneav>
right.
10:37
<ogra>
i'm really waiting for the final "no config needed at all" Xorg version
10:37
one with a solution for kemaps etc
10:37
*keymaps
10:37
<sbalneav>
I'm happy with the flash. It's not that long. Only a couple of seconds. And the big advantage is, any detection updates/improvements in xorg means we automatically get better without any work on our part.
10:39
<ogra>
i dont understand why patch rejects the rules file ... hmm
10:40
oh
10:41
adding dh_installman wouldnt have been necessary, its called in the binary-arch target already
10:42
that *should* be enough
10:45rhombus has joined #ltsp
10:45
<rhombus>
Has anyone run LTSP over WAN links?
10:51
<sbalneav>
Several people have tried.
10:51
X really isn't good for slower connections.
10:51
hence, projects like tightvnc, freenx, etc.
10:52
<ogra>
well, booting over WAN will also have intresting security challenges (beyond bandwith indeed)
10:52
<sbalneav>
that too.
10:53
<ogra>
like how do you make sure onyl your clients boot off the publich dhcp bootserver you run :)
10:53
theoretically you need to open it up for the whole internet :)
10:54
you could do some static MAC based entries in your dhcpd config ... but MAC adresses are easy to fake
10:54
so in the end it ends up fully open
10:56Avatara has joined #ltsp
10:57
<sbalneav>
ogra: figure out what went wrong with the nbd-server diff?
10:58
<ogra>
it doesnt build :/
10:58
err
10:58Egyptian[Home] has joined #ltsp
10:58
<ogra>
no, actually i'm stupid *and* blind
10:59
ogra@laptop:~/packages/nbd-2.9.6$ dpkg -c /var/cache/pbuilder/result/nbd-server_2.9.6-1ubuntu3_i386.deb |grep man|grep gz
10:59
-rw-r--r-- root/root 4010 2007-08-29 17:41 ./usr/share/man/man5/nbd-server.5.gz
10:59
-rw-r--r-- root/root 2824 2007-08-29 17:41 ./usr/share/man/man1/nbd-server.1.gz
10:59
ok, the dh_installman call isnt needed ... i'll leave that out ...
10:59
<sbalneav>
it isnt?
11:00
thought the dh_installman was what read the nbd-server.manpages file.
11:00
<ogra>
yeah, but its called from binary-arch ...
11:01
you added it additionally to binary-indep
11:01
<sbalneav>
oh, yeah, see that now.
11:01
Shouldn't it be in the indep?
11:02
and out of binary?
11:02
<ogra>
no need to call it from there (no need for arch-indep either, since nbd has no architecture independent packages anyway)
11:02tux_440volt has quit IRC
11:02
<sbalneav>
a manpage isnt arch independent?
11:02
<ogra>
well, you could create a nbd-docs package containing it ... but thats a *bit* overkill for two manpages ;)
11:02
a manpage is
11:03
but the binary-indep target is for _all.deb packages which we dont build in nbd
11:03
<sbalneav>
ahhh
11:03
I see.
11:03
<ogra>
(as opposed to _i386.deb or amd64.deb)
11:03
<sbalneav>
makes sense.
11:04
ok, so just yank the extra dh_installman I stuck in.
11:04
<ogra>
hmm, intresting, seems in ubuntu-devel they are just getting cryptsetup to main ...
11:04
<sbalneav>
How come it built fine on mine, though
11:04
<ogra>
we could default to encrypting swap ;)
11:04
it built fine
11:04
my terminal cheated my eyes
11:04
uploaded :)
11:04
you should get a reciept soon
11:05
<sbalneav>
How come the patch didn't apply for you, though?
11:05
<ogra>
dunno
11:05
i dont understand the rej file at all ...
11:06
it should have applied properly
11:06
<sbalneav>
something to do with pasting it to the pastebot maybe?
11:06
<ogra>
hmm, probably
11:06
well, dont worry, its done :)
11:07
<sbalneav>
heh, I just want to learn how to do it the right way, so I'm not such a pain.
11:07
I want to try for motu soon :)
11:07
<ogra>
yeah
11:08
i bet you would even get wouter as sponsor to go for DD :)
11:08
you did so much for his package already
11:08
<sbalneav>
Jeez, with my completely lacking knowledge of debian policy? :)
11:08
<ogra>
pfft
11:09
<sbalneav>
"Why does this file go here?!" "What, aren't manpages arch independent?!"
11:09
I can see it now.
11:09
<ogra>
well, right
11:09
but thats stuff you learn along the way anyway
11:10
<sbalneav>
"Scott given DD, promptly breaks Debian. Ian comes out of retirement to lynch Scott personally" :)
11:10
<ogra>
you *could* look it up for every change you do in the policy if you feel like (probably there are people doing that)
11:10
ian ? retired ?
11:10
i thought he is broke since prodigy went down the drain
11:11
<sbalneav>
Sorry, dramatic license :)
11:11
<ogra>
heh
11:11
<sbalneav>
I figure if I can get MOTU in the next 6 months, that will be a good start. :)
11:11
<ogra>
you'll get it faster for sure
11:12
<sbalneav>
You, curiously, have a much higher opinion of me than I do of myself.
11:12
How have I managed to fool so many people for so long> :)
11:12
<ogra>
well, i've seen many people become MOTU already ;)
11:13
and i know your skills :)
11:13
<sbalneav>
I'm a bumbler. My only redeeming quality is that I'm a PERSISTENT bumbler.
11:14
I'm a thousand monkeys with typewriters: I get it right eventually :)
11:15* ogra imagines sbalneav in a black-yellow coiled dress ...
11:15
<ogra>
with little ferry wings *g*
11:15
the persistent bumblebee-man
11:18
<whiprush_>
hi guys.
11:18
<sbalneav>
lol
11:18
<rhombus>
sbalneav, ogra: well, it's going over a VPN, so the security is not so big a concern.
11:18
<sbalneav>
I'm certainly the right overall SHAPE for a bumblebee :)
11:18
<joebaker>
*** joebaker thanks ogra for putting the swapfiles in a ramdisk on the server. Actually I suggested that some time ago. I've got to report a WINE bug. bye for now.
11:19
<rhombus>
I've got a Wyse S50 thin client; I'm looking at FreeNX now, I think that's the only way this is going to work
11:19
<sbalneav>
rhombus: Then you're back to the first problem: x over high latency links is painful :)
11:19exodos has quit IRC
11:19
<rhombus>
Well, in point of fact, the problem was more that NFS chokes
11:19
NFS is horrible over WAN.
11:19
Has anyone used FreeNX here?
11:20
Rumour has it it's good :)
11:20
but as usual, the docs are either dated or spotty.
11:21
<sbalneav>
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/d/df/BumblebeeMan.gif
11:21
<whiprush_>
rhombus: I undeployed freenx, too buggy
11:22
all it does is gets people's hope up that they don't have to drive to campus.
11:22
<rhombus>
whiprush_: when did you do this? What happened?
11:22
<whiprush_>
I deployed it all last year, shut it off this summer
11:22
<rhombus>
whiprush_: What sort of troubles did you have?
11:23
<whiprush_>
dead sessions, hanging sessions, etc.
11:23
like, even when people logged out their session would hang around.
11:23
didn't feel like dealing with the maintenance of keeping it running.
11:24Egyptian[Home] has quit IRC
11:24
<rhombus>
whiprush_: did you have users on all kinds of different connections? This is a more controlled environment -- just one link, 10 Mbps
11:25
<whiprush_>
yeah, this is them connecting from home over the internet and such.
11:25
though I suspect that it would have the same problems regardless of connection
11:26
<rhombus>
whiprush_: what versions did you use?
11:26
<whiprush_>
don't recall, I haven't followed it in a while
11:27
<rhombus>
whiprush_: no machine is on version 3
11:28
whiprush_: did you choose anything in place of FreeNX?
11:28
<ogra>
sbalneav, hmm, i never noticed he has a tail
11:30nantes_geek has joined #ltsp
11:30
<nantes_geek>
hi
11:30* ogra vanishes for the evening until edubuntu meeting starts ...
11:31
<ogra>
sbalneav, i'll upload the new ltsp before the meeting ...
11:31
<nantes_geek>
see that : http://www.inpi.fr/ressources/documents/bopi06/0642/bopi0642complet.pdf search inside : novatice
11:31
<sbalneav>
Meeting today! That's right.
11:31
I'll be there
11:33
<whiprush_>
rhombus: nope, I'm just going to hold off for a while, see what happens.
11:33indradg has joined #ltsp
11:35Avatara has quit IRC
11:47Egyptian[Home] has joined #ltsp
11:49FernandoMM has joined #ltsp
11:54FernandoMM has quit IRC
12:01evilgold has quit IRC
12:02ByPasS has joined #ltsp
12:11rhombus has left #ltsp
12:16edgarin has joined #ltsp
12:16
<edgarin>
Hi people
12:17Egyptian[Home] has quit IRC
12:37Q-FUNK has joined #ltsp
12:39K_O-Gnom has joined #ltsp
12:41edgarin has quit IRC
12:42
<sbalneav>
nantes_geek: And what's that supposed to tell me?
12:43Q-FUNK has joined #ltsp
13:04cyberorg is now known as cyberorg_
13:09daya has quit IRC
13:18
<ByPasS>
sbalneav : yesterday u told me to passwd the root login in the chroot in order to log in console *that worked* I now compiled a program in the chroot, when i starts it I get "Failed to fork child process" is there limitation as what can run in the chroot ?
13:21
<sbalneav>
So, you've got a program, and you've put it in the chroot, and now, you're trying to start it up on the thin client?
13:21
There shouldn't be any limitation as to what runs on a thin client, other than the limitations of the thin client.
13:21
<ByPasS>
I chrooted /opt/ltsp/i386, passwd one account (root for now), ./configure ./make
13:22
and now when I launch it I get the error
13:22
from the thinclient and/or when I chroot and try to run it
13:23
<sbalneav>
Did you install the development tools within the choot?
13:23
<dan__t>
'morning.
13:23
<sbalneav>
Becaause normally make, gcc, etc aren't in the chroot.
13:23
<dan__t>
Today, I think I need to tackle VNC.
13:23
<ByPasS>
yes I had to instlal build-essential / libc6 and libcurse-devel
13:23
<dan__t>
But before that, I have a question on identifying clients.
13:24
I'd like hostname assignments to be something like user.name.internal.mydomain.tld
13:24
So when someone logs in, they have that hostname.
13:24
<ByPasS>
dan_T : just set it in your /etc/hosts file
13:24
<dan__t>
I think this has to do more with Xand gdm working in coordination with dhcpd
13:24
I don't want to assign static IPs, though.
13:25
Because in the office people might be using a different machine etc etc.
13:25
<sbalneav>
ByPasS: Well, on the thin client, what happens if you gdb your program, or run it from strace.
13:25
There shouldn't be any restriction as to what runs in the chroot.
13:25
<ByPasS>
sbal : good idea ill try that
13:25
kk
13:25
<dan__t>
What else might you suggest, sbalneav?
13:26
<sbalneav>
got get-lease-hostnames true; in your dhcpd.conf?
13:26
<dan__t>
I do.
13:26
<sbalneav>
and you'll have to define all the hostnames in either /etc/hosts, or dns.
13:27
<dan__t>
So I don't have the option of assigning a login name to a hostname as I mentioned earlier?
13:28
<ByPasS>
!pastebot
13:28
<ltspbot`>
ByPasS: "pastebot" is The LTSP pastebot is at http://pastebot.ltsp.org. Please paste all text longer than a line or two to the pastebot, as it helps to reduce traffic in the channel. A link to the content will be pasted in the channel.
13:28
<ltsppbot>
"ByPasS" pasted "gdb output /proc ?" (4 lines) at http://pastebot.ltsp.org/296
13:29
<sbalneav>
dan__t: You're using gdm you said?
13:29
Or ldm?
13:29
<dan__t>
gdm
13:30
<sbalneav>
ByPasS: You're running that on the server, in the chroot? Or on the client itself?
13:30
dan__t: You'd have to set up gdm for autologin.
13:30
<ByPasS>
in the chroot atm
13:30
<dan__t>
D'oh, don't want to do that.
13:30
<sbalneav>
Have you mounted proc in the choot?
13:30
<dan__t>
hrm
13:30
<Q-FUNK>
howdy!
13:30
<sbalneav>
Hey Q-FUNK
13:31
<dan__t>
Suppose I could rig something through .xinitrc to update /etc/hosts?
13:31
<ByPasS>
root@linux:/# df
13:31
df: cannot read table of mounted file systems: No such file or directory
13:31
umm
13:31
<sbalneav>
right, not without proc
13:31
you'll need to mount /proc on the chroot if you're running it on the server.
13:32
<dan__t>
sbalneav, I'm going to write a script to update /etc/hosts via /etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc
13:32
I think that will work.
13:32
Let's see :)
13:32
<sbalneav>
dan__t: I'm unsure of the need for that? Why not just define your hostnames in /etc/hosts the normal way?
13:33
<dan__t>
Because I don't want to assign static IPs.
13:33
<sbalneav>
You don't have to.
13:33
<dan__t>
er...
13:33
<ByPasS>
sbal : because he wants the hostname to be USER.whatever
13:34
<dan__t>
Something of that nature.
13:34
I just want to be able to identify users on machines.
13:34
They may or may not be at the same machine every day.
13:35
Make sense?
13:36
<sbalneav>
ok, I see what you want. WHY you want to do it is beyond me.
13:36Guaraldo has quit IRC
13:36
<dan__t>
Simplify administration tasks.
13:36
i.e. vnc and such.
13:36
<sbalneav>
How's it going to simplify anything?
13:37
<dan__t>
And, of course, xeyes with export DISPLAY=, XAUTHORITY= etc etc ;)
13:37
I've been known to kview tubgirl.jpg on random computers when some of the other staff give me a hard time, too.
13:37
<sbalneav>
ummm, ok.
13:37
good luck to you then.
13:38
<dan__t>
Seriously thought, any attempts that I make to vnc to a client machine, I'm going to need an easy way to identify which machine I want to tap into.
13:38
Right?
13:38
Or, wait..... it wouldn'tmatter since the vnc server would be running on the LTSP server, just using a different screen.....
13:39
Right?
13:40
<sbalneav>
Not that familiar with vnc, don't use it much.
13:40plamengr has quit IRC
13:40
<sbalneav>
but it's dead easy to map a user to a machine, just use /proc/<pid>/env
13:40
and look at either DISPLAY or SSH_CLIENT.
13:41macjunkie has joined #ltsp
13:41
<sbalneav>
xinit runs as a user, so updating your hosts file's going to be tricky, unless you chmod 666 /etc/hosts, which would be bad.
13:42
<dan__t>
No, was going to run a cron as root.
13:42
make a /tmp/hosts.d/ directory or something.
13:42
Are you familiar with the vnc-ltsp-config package at all?
13:43
<sbalneav>
Nope, like I say, I don't work on the vnc part of things.
13:43
<macjunkie>
i'm trying to troubleshoot our LTSP install and am stumped, our workstation folks replaced all the machiens in one of our labs with newer hardware they're using reletively the same tg3 broadcom nic but I'm getting an error about "could not automatically detect the network card" i tried googling that and can't find anything explaining what i need to do fix that other than option 129 but doesn't say what i need to put for it
13:43highvolt1ge has joined #ltsp
13:43
<dan__t>
I understand.
13:44tiagovaz has joined #ltsp
13:44
<sbalneav>
macjunkie: What version of LTSP, on what server?
13:46
<macjunkie>
centos 4.5, I believe its ltsp 5 we did an update to it about 6 months ago but I forgot what version we put on it
13:46
i'm looking in /opt/ltsp is there an easy way to determine that? i don't see anything terribly obvious
13:48
<sbalneav>
It's probably 4.2
13:49
You'll need to set nic=<drivername> on the pxe command line.
13:49
<macjunkie>
yea its 4.2
13:49DonSilver has joined #ltsp
13:49
<macjunkie>
just poked around ltspadmin
13:50
so i booted the box off a ubuntu cd and did an lsmod and it shows up as tg3 BCM95755
13:50
so i put nic= BCM95755
13:50
?
13:51
<sbalneav>
tg3 is the driver that's loaded?
13:51
<macjunkie>
yeah
13:51
<sbalneav>
nic=tg3
13:51
<macjunkie>
ok :)
13:52
ok one more question :) so i'm looking at: http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/showthread.php?t=518936
13:52
when i was googling this
13:52
and for option 128 do I just put what they have or where does that come from?
13:53Guaraldo has joined #ltsp
13:54
<sbalneav>
option 128's for etherboot cards.
13:54
These using etherboot?
13:55
<macjunkie>
sorry for being dumb :) I wasn't the one who configured this part
13:55
i'm looking at the host declaration in dhcp
13:55
and theres a mention of etherboot
13:56
http://pastebin.com/d178cdb4f
13:57
<sbalneav>
ok, like I say, are these new nics using etherboot?
13:57
If they are, you'll have to set option-128
13:58
if they're using pxe, set it up in the pxe options file.
13:59
<macjunkie>
i put option 128 in the host decl and its still complaining so its using pxe
14:01
<monteslu>
good lord google gives good phone interviews.
14:01
<macjunkie>
thats what i've heard
14:01
<monteslu>
less than an hour I broke a sweat :)
14:01Guaraldo has quit IRC
14:02Guaraldo has joined #ltsp
14:02
<monteslu>
It was probably a long shot, but I'm buyin everyone a beer if i get it :)
14:03
<dan__t>
hrm, couldn't get vnc-ltsp-config to work
14:03
I think I'll crynow.
14:07highvoltage has quit IRC
14:10Guaraldo has quit IRC
14:10Guaraldo has joined #ltsp
14:15balbir_ has joined #ltsp
14:18macjunkie has quit IRC
14:19macjunkie has joined #ltsp
14:26Guaraldo has quit IRC
14:26Guaraldo has joined #ltsp
14:49ltspbot has joined #ltsp
15:07jbassett has joined #ltsp
15:07
<jbassett>
Evening
15:09
Is anyone out there using udhcpd as their dhcp server with ltsp? I am trying it out as I am having issues with MAC addresses wrongly detected on the clients. I have been unable to find much in the way of tftp information for this particular server though. So if anyone has a working conf it would be much appreciated.
15:09
Thanks
15:09
<dan__t>
I use it
15:09
<jbassett>
ooo
15:09
would you be able to wind me a working conf please
15:09
<dan__t>
The clients can't detect their own MAC address?
15:10
<jbassett>
well, clients work fine except the Evo T20s
15:10
They work fine on 4.1 but 4.2 and 5 they usually detected by server as 00:00:00:00:00:00 so i can only use one Evo at a time on the network
15:10
<dan__t>
what do they do, instead of detecting their own MAc addresses?
15:10
I see.
15:11
<jbassett>
They sometimes report correct mac, othertimes they dont
15:11
I thought i'd give a different server deamon a go
15:11
<dan__t>
http://pastebin.ca/675072
15:11
but dhcpd is dhcpd
15:12
<jbassett>
true :-) Im clutching at straws as I have a shed full of Evos :-(
15:12
<dan__t>
What are they?
15:12Blinny has quit IRC
15:13
<dan__t>
brb, food.
15:14freyley has quit IRC
15:14
<jbassett>
Compaq MS WIndows embedded
15:14
flashed for PXE booting
15:14freyley has joined #ltsp
15:15nantes_geek has quit IRC
15:20
<jbassett>
time to take it for a pin
15:20
bbs
15:20jbassett has quit IRC
15:21Clown-MG has quit IRC
15:24tiagovaz has quit IRC
15:25jbassett has joined #ltsp
15:26
<jbassett>
Back again
15:26
Are you sure this is a udhcpd server config?
15:26
It shows errors when I load it and some of the option names are different from what I have read elsewhere
15:39Guaraldo has left #ltsp
15:45
<dan__t>
no, this is dhcpd
15:46
<jbassett>
ah right
15:47
no one seems to use udhcpd
15:47
understandably
15:47
back to the drawing board i think
15:50jbassett has quit IRC
15:51dan__t has quit IRC
15:51dan__t has joined #ltsp
15:53
<dan__t>
oh, I missed that part I guess. Why are you using that?
15:56ogra_ has joined #ltsp
15:57ogra has quit IRC
15:57ogra_ is now known as ogra
16:05whiprush_ has quit IRC
16:05whiprush_ has joined #ltsp
16:15
<sbalneav>
ogra: If you want to send me a quick email on things you think we're missing still, please do so. I'll squeeze in as much as I can.
16:15
<ogra>
sbalneav, in ltsp ?
16:16
i think we'Re fine
16:16
<sbalneav>
in anything.
16:16
<ByPasS>
sbal : my application works now :)
16:16
sbal : it doesnt in chroot but works on thinclient
16:16
<ogra>
sbalneav, docs and artwork are the issues left
16:16
and moodle :/ but thats a different story
16:17
<sbalneav>
Well, anything you have a hankering to see under docs, let me know.
16:17
'cuz that's my job for the next 2 weeks.
16:21DonSilver_ has joined #ltsp
16:22DonSilver has quit IRC
16:25
<sbalneav>
heading home
16:25
be on tonight.
16:26sbalneav has quit IRC
16:44jammcq has joined #ltsp
17:05ltspbot` has joined #ltsp
17:05ltspbot has quit IRC
17:11savetheWorld has joined #ltsp
17:13
<gonzaloaf_work>
jammcq, Hi, I solved my problem about the NIC, but I dont want to create one file per each new computer I add to my LTSP system, I tried to add the module to the niclist but I realized that the module was already in this file, what can I do in that case?
17:13bobby_C has quit IRC
17:14DonSilver_ has quit IRC
17:14
<jammcq>
gonzaloaf_work: the module is in the file. it's the PCI Vendor and Device ID's that aren't
17:14
<gonzaloaf_work>
jammcq, how can I fin those IDs ?
17:15
<jammcq>
boot the workstation to a shell, by setting "SCREEN_01 = shell" lts.conf file
17:15
then, run 'lspci -n'
17:15
it's spit out all of the pci vendor:device id's for all pci devices in the system
17:17
<gonzaloaf_work>
jammcq, let say, in this case of my computer the output is: 0a:0b.0 Ethernet controller: Broadcom Corporation NetXtreme BCM5705_2 Gigabit Ethernet (rev 03), then I should add to the niclist file the line "0a:0b.0 e100" ?
17:17
<jammcq>
you didn't say '-n'
17:18
and a 'Broadcom' card is NOT a 'e100'
17:18
<gonzaloaf_work>
jammcq, yes I know it was just an example
17:18
<jammcq>
the PCI vendor:device should be 4 hex digits, a colon, and 4 hex digits
17:19
<gonzaloaf_work>
jammcq, yes I have to do first a 'lspci' then a 'lspci -n' to see the match
17:19
<jammcq>
yeah
17:20
<gonzaloaf_work>
jammcq, thanks I will try adding this and build again the initramfs
17:22
jammcq, do you have a manual to do that? uncompress and compress again the initramfs?
17:23
<jammcq>
no, sorry
17:24highvoltage has joined #ltsp
17:25macjunkie_ has joined #ltsp
17:35mischko has joined #ltsp
17:37
<cliebow>
jammcq:got a plan for bts? in BOston?
17:41highvolt1ge has quit IRC
17:44macjunkie has quit IRC
17:44
<K_O-Gnom>
http://www2.dlitz.net/pages/cool/Bill_Gates_watches_Microsoft_Windows_98_crash.mpeg
17:55
<jammcq>
cliebow: hey
17:55
<cliebow>
hi!
17:55
<jammcq>
check yer priv msgs
17:56
<cliebow>
ahhh!.cooking dinner..
17:57spectra has joined #ltsp
18:14ltspbot has joined #ltsp
18:25ltspbot_ has joined #ltsp
18:25
<jammcq>
yeah, don't expect anything fancy
18:25
i've been to several of the OLF's
18:25
it's a great time
18:26
but it's run by a user group, not by a big corp, like IDG
18:26
<jbrett>
yes, I understand that.
18:26* jbrett isn't trying to be big-corp :o)
18:26
<jammcq>
it's actually much better than a Linuxworld type conf
18:27
<jbrett>
just trying to find something interesting to fill up the 8' table with :o)
18:27
well, linuxworld used to be pretty similar 10 years ago.
18:27
I'm looking forward to it.
18:29ltspbot` has quit IRC
18:34ltspbot has quit IRC
18:46staffencasa has quit IRC
19:10sbalneav has joined #ltsp
19:11
<jammcq>
Scotty !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
19:11
<sbalneav>
Hey jammcq!
19:11
How's it going?
19:11
<jammcq>
going great. how's by you?
19:12
<sbalneav>
Well, after a couple of minor conflicts, we got all my tree merged into ogra's, packages should be out tonight.
19:12
<jammcq>
neat-o
19:31ltspbot has joined #ltsp
19:35ltspbot_ has quit IRC
19:35
<jammcq>
sbalneav: hey, you around?
19:36
<sbalneav>
Yep
19:36
<jammcq>
sbalneav: ltspbot seems to be having connectivity issues
19:36muh2000_ is now known as muh2000
19:36
<sbalneav>
Our internet provider's very slow tonight.
19:37
<jammcq>
ah
19:37
<sbalneav>
TV's having trouble too.
19:37
<jammcq>
you know about it?
19:37
<sbalneav>
yeah
19:37
I'm only getting about 24kbps
19:37
<jammcq>
well then, consider my comment a duplicte bug report
19:37
<sbalneav>
and half the tv channels don't work :)
19:37
<jammcq>
prolly not a good nite do do voip, eh?
19:37
<sbalneav>
heh
19:37
it would be spotty, at best
19:40K_O-Gnom has quit IRC
19:42mischko has joined #ltsp
19:55mischko has quit IRC
19:59
<jammcq>
sbalneav: do you have an example syntax for using netcat to send a file to port 9100 at a remote address ?
19:59
i'm reading the manpage and it's just not making sense
20:15ByPasS has quit IRC
20:21vagrantc has joined #ltsp
20:22
<vagrantc>
ogra: didn't like my symlink changes ?
20:23
sbalneav: did ogra complain about all those symlinks i made? did they break something ?
20:24
with the ldm themes
20:25ari_stress has joined #ltsp
20:26
<ari_stress>
morning
20:27
<vagrantc>
sbalneav: i've got a commit message from your branch in revision 446 that says "reverted vagrantc's stuff" and then the only changes it does have absolutely nothing to do with anything i every touched.
20:38savetheWorld has quit IRC
20:58
<sbalneav>
vagrantc: heh, all the symlinks messed up ogra
20:58
so we reverted the symlinks back to files.
20:59savetheWorld has joined #ltsp
20:59
<sbalneav>
jammcq: cat foo | nc hostname 9100 should do it.
20:59
sorry, was out for a walk
20:59
<jammcq>
sbalneav: problem is, nc sits and hangs after that
21:00
I have to ctrl-c it
21:00
<sbalneav>
ummm
21:00
<vagrantc>
sbalneav: messed him up how ?
21:00
<sbalneav>
hold on
21:00
<jammcq>
sbalneav: no worries, I wrote a quick netprint in perl
21:00
<sbalneav>
vagrantc: Not sure, something to do with kubuntu
21:00* vagrantc wonders why kubuntu problems should cause him to revert stuff in the Debian directory
21:01
<sbalneav>
Oh, I merged it all in one lump, so I reverted all in one lump
21:01
jammcq: ah, -q 0
21:01
nc -q 0 hostname port
21:02
<jammcq>
-q 0 says 'hang forever' I think
21:02
<ari_stress>
hello sbalneav, thanks for yesterday's tip in printing. it works :)
21:02
<jammcq>
but.... this version of nc doesn't support '-q' at all
21:02
<ari_stress>
and sound also works using pulseaudio, but not on my notebook
21:02
<sbalneav>
after EOF on stdin, wait the specified number of seconds and then quit
21:02
<jammcq>
sbalneav: yeah, -q 0 says 'NEVER quit'
21:03
but this is a RHEL3 system and this version of nc doesn't support that
21:03
but, no problem, perl to the rescue
21:03
<sbalneav>
yep, easy to code up other ways.
21:03
<jammcq>
try THAT on windows :)
21:03
actually, I could. i'd just use perl there too :)
21:04* vagrantc wonders how it messed anything up
21:04
<vagrantc>
i only symlinked files that were identical
21:04
i left alone the ones that differed
21:05
<sbalneav>
I'm not exactly sure what it was all about, something to do with the packaging.
21:05
<vagrantc>
it also reverted my attempt to have the debian theme actually use a debian logo rather than an edubuntu one.
21:06
<sbalneav>
Not too late to fix it,
21:06
<jammcq>
vagrantc: AH, that's it :)
21:06
<sbalneav>
but we'll need to coordinate with ogra
21:06
Gonna be on tomorrow am?
21:06
we can hash through it then.
21:07
<vagrantc>
don't know ... don't have internet where i'm staying at the moment ... well ... maybe don't have internet
21:07
that reminds me.. i should fix the stuff that makes me not have internet.
21:07
<jammcq>
no internet?
21:08
that's like no running water
21:08
<sbalneav>
vagrantc: I got an extra usb network card if you need another :)
21:22
<vagrantc>
no, i got a new laptop, but only wireless requires an antenna ... and there's no way to plug the antenna into the laptop
22:06RMSELTech has joined #ltsp
22:17topslakr_ has joined #ltsp
22:19RMSELTech has quit IRC
22:26ari_stress has quit IRC
22:29Mineque has quit IRC
22:30joris has quit IRC
22:34spectra has quit IRC
22:34joris has joined #ltsp
22:54zodman has joined #ltsp
22:56Faithful1 has quit IRC
22:57Faithful has joined #ltsp
23:01vagrantc has quit IRC
23:15rjune has quit IRC
23:15rjune has joined #ltsp
23:16Faithful has quit IRC
23:18Faithful has joined #ltsp
23:34cyberorg_ is now known as cyberorg
23:38subir has joined #ltsp
23:41subir has quit IRC