IRC chat logs for #ltsp on irc.freenode.net (webchat)


Channel log from 6 May 2008   (all times are UTC)

00:11cpunches has quit IRC
00:47subir has joined #ltsp
00:59StefanB has joined #ltsp
01:10deavid has joined #ltsp
01:11StefanB has quit IRC
01:11StefanB has joined #ltsp
01:18Shingoshi has quit IRC
01:19Q-FUNK has quit IRC
01:20Shingoshi has joined #ltsp
01:22indradg has quit IRC
01:23indradg has joined #ltsp
01:25vagrantc has joined #ltsp
01:26cpunches has joined #ltsp
01:37Faithful has quit IRC
01:41itais has joined #ltsp
01:46Pascal_1 has joined #ltsp
01:49Faithful has joined #ltsp
01:55Q-FUNK has joined #ltsp
02:04itais has quit IRC
02:06cyberorg has quit IRC
02:18vagrantc has quit IRC
02:25cyberorg has joined #ltsp
02:29Q-FUNK has quit IRC
02:40itais has joined #ltsp
02:45achandrashekar has joined #ltsp
02:46
<achandrashekar>
hello. Ive been trying to research what my options are for clustering ltsp nodes. What solutions exist?
02:46
mosix is 2.4...it is antiquated.
02:46
anything out there that work?
02:49
<johnny>
i only see people clustering at the file system level, not cpu ..
02:49
haven't heard much of the networked cpu clustering ..
02:49
but i'm no expert for sure
02:49itais has quit IRC
02:50Q-FUNK has joined #ltsp
03:44subir has quit IRC
03:47mikkel has joined #ltsp
03:51achandrashekar has quit IRC
04:20StefanB has quit IRC
04:53subir has joined #ltsp
05:10Q-FUNK has quit IRC
05:28subir has quit IRC
05:28|Paradox| has joined #ltsp
05:29nantes_geek has joined #ltsp
05:34nantes_geek has quit IRC
05:39hersonls has quit IRC
05:40nantes_geek has joined #ltsp
05:44itais has joined #ltsp
06:06asac has quit IRC
06:06asac has joined #ltsp
06:16BGomes has joined #ltsp
06:21TelnetManta has quit IRC
06:21LSF_ has quit IRC
06:22jammcq has quit IRC
06:32nantes_geek has quit IRC
06:49hersonls has joined #ltsp
06:59exodos has joined #ltsp
07:01exodos has quit IRC
07:01exodos has joined #ltsp
07:04deavid has quit IRC
07:04cliebow has joined #ltsp
07:07artista_frustrad has joined #ltsp
07:11gentgeen__ has quit IRC
07:11gentgeen__ has joined #ltsp
07:20hersonls has quit IRC
07:25Blinny has joined #ltsp
07:41TelnetManta has joined #ltsp
07:42otavio has joined #ltsp
07:44slidesinger has joined #ltsp
08:05mhterres has joined #ltsp
08:07itais has quit IRC
08:24Q-FUNK has joined #ltsp
08:28
<Blinny>
Is there a way to enable the new 'Unlock' buttons from admin users logged in at thin clients?
08:28
:s;from;for
08:38itais has joined #ltsp
08:45Gadi has joined #ltsp
08:53tux_440volt has joined #ltsp
08:54comete has joined #ltsp
08:55
<comete>
hi
08:55
i use Edubuntu 8.04 and i have problems with ldm using ldap authentication
08:56
does ldm support pam ?
08:57
<Gadi>
comete: ldm uses ssh - ssh (server side) uses pam
08:59rjune_ has quit IRC
08:59
<comete>
ok so i can login on the server with an ldap user but on the client i can only login with local accounts
09:00
if i do modifications to /etc/pam.d/ on the server do i have to do the same in /opt/ltsp/i386/etc/pam.d/ ?
09:00
<Gadi>
no
09:00
no client side pam
09:00
do the users have home directories?
09:02
also, if you log in to the server, can you ssh ldapuser@localhost ?
09:02mccann has joined #ltsp
09:03
<comete>
Gadi, yes i can
09:03rjune_ has joined #ltsp
09:03
<comete>
Gadi, yes they all have home directories
09:05
<Gadi>
in that case, make SCREEN_02=shell, SCREEN_07=ldm, log into ldm with an ldapuser on screen 7 and then when it fails, switch to screen 2 and have a look at /var/log/ldm.log
09:05rjune_ has quit IRC
09:05
<comete>
Gadi, ok i try
09:06
Gadi, oh and is it possible to use ldm in french by default ?
09:07
<Gadi>
french keyboard or french language?
09:07
<comete>
Gadi, french language
09:07
<Gadi>
hmm... im not sure where thats at (translation-wise)
09:07
<comete>
Gadi, french kb is already ok
09:08
<Gadi>
vagrantc or ogra may know better
09:08
<comete>
ok thanks
09:10tux_440volt has quit IRC
09:10
<Blinny>
Hey Gadi do you know how to enable the Unlock buttons when logged in as an admin on a thin client?
09:11
<Gadi>
Blinny: I have no idea what buttons ur talking about
09:11
:)
09:12
but, try pressing the red button
09:12
:P
09:12
no wait
09:12
<Blinny>
Hardy went to the new way of allowing access to admin interfaces, using an 'Unlock' button.
09:12
<Gadi>
cut the blue wire
09:12
<Blinny>
bah
09:12
:P
09:12
<Gadi>
hmm...
09:12bobby_C has joined #ltsp
09:12
<Gadi>
and it only works when logged in locally as an admin user?
09:13
<Blinny>
Yes.
09:13
It may be upstream; It also is greyed-out when in through an NX session.
09:13
<Gadi>
hmm... maybe they tied it into gdm
09:13
so, if you go in thru ssh its not the ssame
09:13
*same
09:13
<Blinny>
I don't know how to go in through SSH to run something.
09:14
<Gadi>
sure you do, when you use ldm
09:14
:)
09:14
<Blinny>
heh
09:14
Oh.
09:14
<Gadi>
or NX for that matter
09:14
:)
09:14
both use ssh
09:14
as an experiment, switch your screen to startx
09:14
or whatever we call it in hardy
09:14
xdmcp?
09:15
and enable remote logins thru gdm
09:15
and see if it is not greyed out
09:16
<Blinny>
So on the console, find the gdm admin thingy, enable remote logins, then in lts.conf do: SCREEN_0 = startx ?
09:16
<Gadi>
SCREEN_07 = startx
09:17
tho, they may have changed the screen script name to xdmcp
09:17
<Blinny>
OK lemme hcekc
09:17
<Gadi>
I know vagrantc and warren have been playing with names and paths and such of late
09:18* Gadi has so much dev time invested in gutsy, presonally - I haven't as yet played with hardy much
09:18
<comete>
Gadi, nbd0: Attempted send on closed socket
09:18
<Gadi>
comete: yuck
09:18
you lost your connection to the server
09:18
<comete>
Gadi, what's that ?
09:19
<Gadi>
the rootfs is mounted with nbd
09:19
thats the error message you get when the nbd-client cannot talk to the server
09:22
<comete>
strange
09:22
i try on another one
09:23
<Blinny>
Gadi: SCREEN_07=startx just gives me grey screen w/ X pointer
09:23
<comete>
Gadi, "No xauth data; using fake authentication for X11 forwarding" in ldm.log when login
09:24
<Blinny>
...trying with =xdmcp
09:24
<Gadi>
Blinny: on the server, do: netstat -anp|grep :177
09:25
comete: does the login succeed?
09:27Pascal_1 has quit IRC
09:28
<Blinny>
Gadi: nothing returned from netstat line
09:30
<comete>
Gadi, i've found what it was: an old .xsession file in each home directory... :/
09:30
Gadi, that works now, thanks
09:31indradg has quit IRC
09:32
<Gadi>
Blinny: that means gdm is not listening for remote connections
09:32
Blinny: you need to enable that and restart gdm
09:32
rerun that command to check if it is listening
09:32
comete: good to hear
09:33
<comete>
:) yes but i have other problems now
09:33indradg has joined #ltsp
09:37Q-FUNK has quit IRC
09:40
<Blinny>
Gadi: The unlock button on 'Users and Groups' is still greyed out when logging in remotely using startx
09:40
FYI, the modules that still use gtksudo still work
09:41Q-FUNK has joined #ltsp
09:49thirddeep has joined #ltsp
09:55
<Gadi>
Blinny: hmm... then, I have no idea
09:55
:)
09:55
surely there's an ubuntu guy running around here somewhere
09:56
<thirddeep>
quick question ...
09:56
<Blinny>
I'm sure there is. And don't call me Shirley.
09:56
er, surely (;
09:56
<thirddeep>
I change server IP's and can't log in any more on thin client. This is not an ubuntu box, and there is no ltsp-update-sshkeys.
09:57
now, I know I need to update the keys, just unsure how without that command ...
09:57
ltsp 4.2 on RHEL 4.5
09:57
<Blinny>
thirddeep: Have you changed the SERVER in lts.conf ?
09:58
<thirddeep>
BINGO ...
09:58
<----- twat
09:58
changing and trying now ...
09:59itais has quit IRC
10:01
<thirddeep>
*hands Blinny a cookie*
10:02
<comete>
Gadi, for each session i open on my thin clients, i get a "floppy0" icon on the Desktop, i mean if i open 10 sessions i will get 10 floppy0 icons... Do you have an idea ?
10:05
<Blinny>
thirddeep: Thanks, but I just need my server to work.
10:08
<thirddeep>
I was not in channel when you explained the problem, what is it ?
10:10
<Blinny>
New gui sudo authentication problem in Hardy Heron.
10:10jammcq has joined #ltsp
10:12
<thirddeep>
:(
10:14rjune_ has joined #ltsp
10:16rjune_ has quit IRC
10:17sepski has joined #ltsp
10:18rjune_ has joined #ltsp
10:23comete has quit IRC
10:24BGomes has quit IRC
10:32staffencasa has joined #ltsp
10:37johnny_ has joined #ltsp
10:44asac_ has joined #ltsp
10:47K_O-Gnom has joined #ltsp
10:56asac has quit IRC
10:56asac_ is now known as asac
11:08nantes_geek has joined #ltsp
11:11cliebow has quit IRC
11:26thirddeep has quit IRC
11:38indradg_ has joined #ltsp
11:40gbolte has joined #ltsp
11:40
<gbolte>
hello
11:51Faithful has quit IRC
11:56indradg has quit IRC
12:02nantes_geek has quit IRC
12:08r3zon8 has joined #ltsp
12:09
<r3zon8>
im running into the via rhine problem with a t5125, i cant seem to get the client to boot the 2.16 kernel
12:09
2.6.16
12:09
<johnny_>
try upgrading? :)
12:09
that thing is old..
12:09
<r3zon8>
did, still boots to 2.6.17
12:10
<johnny_>
that's old too..
12:10
<ogra>
old ?
12:10
thats ancient
12:10
<johnny_>
ogra, computer has been up for a day so far :)
12:10
network is still going
12:10
<ogra>
with the gutsy kernel ?
12:10
<r3zon8>
i just gotta get these few clients up, how can i force the slightly newer kernel/modules
12:10
<johnny_>
yes
12:11
<ogra>
please file a bug then
12:11
so we can fix it in 8.04.1
12:11
<johnny_>
if it's up by the end of the day i will
12:11
<ogra>
good, thanks for that
12:11
<johnny_>
2.6.24 sucks anyways
12:11* ogra just went through the ldm security bugs for all releases ... sigh, that took some time
12:11
<johnny_>
gf's computer is obviously slower
12:12
<ogra>
i cant complain here (yet)
12:12
<johnny_>
2.6.25 seems better on my home machine than 2.6.24
12:12
<ogra>
well, indeed
12:12
<johnny_>
music would skip when i would compile in 2.6.24
12:12
on a dual core
12:13
<ogra>
but who would use .25 ...
12:13
i'd wait for .26 proper :)
12:13
<johnny_>
why? it's not like they use the stable odd/even stuff anymore?
12:14
<ogra>
indeed, but i saw a lot stuff going into .25 i would rather not have in a stable kernel :)
12:14
USB blockdevice persistence for example can trash your whole USB stack if thats not clean ... and its *very* young
12:14
<johnny_>
block device persistence.? i didn't even notice that
12:15
i usually read the kernelnewbies changelog to keep up
12:15
<ogra>
so you can have / on a USB stick
12:15
and it survives a suspend
12:15
(impossible with former kernels by very intrusive)
12:15
<johnny_>
i didn't know that it didn't do that :)
12:15
prolly cuz i never looked it up
12:16
i only used usb with / for system recovery stuff
12:16
<ogra>
yeah, its a rare case
12:16Q-FUNK has quit IRC
12:16
<ogra>
but can affect all of your USB devices if it is buggy
12:17* ogra usually prefers stuff that had a slightly longer freeze period to be sure bugs were found
12:19
<johnny_>
hmm.. i cannot find a way to unmount things from places.. or edit their locations :(
12:19
like sftp drives
12:20
<ogra>
places never had unmount options
12:20
can you unmount in the nautilus treeview ?
12:20
or on the desktop ?
12:20
<johnny_>
they weren't showing up on the desktop.. :(
12:20* ogra thinks everyone should just switch to ltspfs and get over all the mount/unmount stuff :P
12:20
<johnny_>
i'll go back and check again with a new one ..
12:21
for non ltsp?
12:21
<ogra>
heh, yeah
12:21
well, i think autofs already does such stuff though, scott stole some code from there afaik
12:23
<johnny_>
i never used autofs
12:23
i thought it was something old and anachronistic
12:23
<ogra>
me neither, but i looked at it when we had to decide what to take for ltsp
12:26
<r3zon8>
im trying to specify a filename for the kernel in dhcpd.conf and its not listening
12:26
<johnny_>
you don't
12:26
it's in the pxelinux.cfg/default
12:29
<r3zon8>
just points to vmlinuz, and ive updated the link it points to, but still nothing
12:33hersonls has joined #ltsp
12:39Pascal_1 has joined #ltsp
12:42mikkel has quit IRC
12:44
<r3zon8>
finally
12:44
thanks johnny, u pointed me in the right direction
12:53exodos_ has joined #ltsp
12:53exodos has quit IRC
12:58johnny_ has quit IRC
13:09hersonls has quit IRC
13:14exodos has joined #ltsp
13:15exodos_ has quit IRC
13:27Patina is now known as _Patina
13:33bobby_C has quit IRC
13:37bobby_C has joined #ltsp
13:40alekibango has quit IRC
13:40Pascal_1 has quit IRC
13:42Q-FUNK has joined #ltsp
13:44
<gbolte>
ogra, are you around
13:47gonzaloaf_work has quit IRC
13:59TelnetManta has quit IRC
14:06warren_ has joined #ltsp
14:07Pascal_1 has joined #ltsp
14:19Pascal_1 has quit IRC
14:23warren_ is now known as warren_treo
14:28gonzaloaf_work has joined #ltsp
14:33Blinny has left #ltsp
14:35itais has joined #ltsp
14:45Gadi has left #ltsp
14:47sepski has quit IRC
14:53alekibango has joined #ltsp
15:00indradg_ has quit IRC
15:01Pascal_1 has joined #ltsp
15:02Pascal_1 has quit IRC
15:04Q-FUNK has quit IRC
15:14gentgeen__ has quit IRC
15:32slidesinger has quit IRC
15:36
<dberkholz>
johnny: that mktemp/coreutils problem will be resolved in portage 2.1.5, it handles unmerging conflicting packages
15:40K_O-Gnom has quit IRC
15:44johnny_ has joined #ltsp
15:46Q-FUNK has joined #ltsp
15:50indradg has joined #ltsp
15:51slidesinger has joined #ltsp
15:59Egyptian[Home] has quit IRC
15:59Egyptian[Home] has joined #ltsp
16:26
<warren_treo>
did we decide if we're doing LTSP hackfest before or after OSCON?
16:26
OSCON itself is very expensive to enter and i likely wont go
16:26
<jammcq>
warren_treo: looks like after
16:26
Gadi already bought his plane tickets
16:27
<warren_treo>
after it is
16:27
<jammcq>
i'm trying to coordinate with sbalneav
16:27
<Q-FUNK>
that reminds me, we'd need a wiki page with all events ot hackfests where LTSP -related stuff takers place
16:27
<warren_treo>
jammcq, what will our hackfest venue be, eric's office?
16:27
<Q-FUNK>
jammcq: when, where?
16:28
<jammcq>
dunno. vagrantc has offered space.
16:28
Q-FUNK: Portland, oregon
16:28
<ogra>
Q-FUNK, freegeek
16:28
<warren_treo>
oh
16:29
<jammcq>
looks like July 24-28
16:29
although for me, July 24 and 28 will be travel days
16:29
hack days will be 2[567]
16:34slidesinger has quit IRC
17:04mhterres has quit IRC
17:17mccann has quit IRC
17:30johnny_ has quit IRC
17:30irule has joined #ltsp
17:34itais has quit IRC
17:35hersonls has joined #ltsp
17:37bricode has joined #ltsp
17:48bobby_C has quit IRC
18:03jammcq has quit IRC
18:05bricode has quit IRC
18:07jammcq has joined #ltsp
18:17jammcq has quit IRC
18:25Q-FUNK has quit IRC
18:37
<johnny>
dberkholz, awesome
18:37
but.. i don't understand why i can't script the unmerge :(
18:39hersonls has quit IRC
18:40hersonls has joined #ltsp
18:42hersonls has quit IRC
18:42hersonls has joined #ltsp
18:54hwilde has quit IRC
18:56staffencasa has quit IRC
18:56hwilde has joined #ltsp
19:03exodos has quit IRC
19:15J45p3r has joined #ltsp
19:26
<warren>
I got Red Hat to sponsor some food for the hackfest
19:26
<dberkholz>
warren: there's plenty of free parts of oscon that are nice, i've gone free before
19:27
<warren>
dberkholz: really? ok
19:27
<dberkholz>
and if you man the fedora booth, you might be able to get into the talks
19:27
they get a few exhibitor badges
19:27
<warren>
who runs the fedora booth?
19:27
<dberkholz>
good question
19:28
<warren>
none of us are allowed to go there
19:28
(Red Hat is cheap...)
19:28
<dberkholz>
it's been there for the past few years though
19:28
do you have local community liaisons or something?
19:29
<warren>
I don't know, Fedora has become too big of an organization for me to know everyone
19:29
<dberkholz>
ask greendisease, he probably knows what's up
19:29
<warren>
we have an entire "ambassadors" wing that I know nothing about
19:29
<dberkholz>
or whatever his nick is nowadays, if he changed it
19:29
jaboutboul
19:31
anyway, the exhibit hall's free and fairly cool for a couple days, and there's plenty of bofs and parties at night (all free, of course)
19:32
also oscamp alongside, which is free (but fairly small)
19:36
<warren>
do you know where to find details of the free part of oscon?
19:36
and oscamp?
19:37
<johnny>
now if only i could find a way out there..
19:37
:(
19:37
<dberkholz>
warren: little snippets on http://en.oreilly.com/oscon2008/public/content/about
19:38
warren: 5 of the last 6 little yellow arrows (not the open mobile)
19:38
under the "experience" section
19:39
there's also a fairly active free ruby track held in portland at the same time
19:40
the oscamp.org website seems to be down atm
19:42
https://en.oreilly.com/oscon2008/public/register also specifically says the exhibit hall is free, if you need that documented
19:42
<warren>
dberkholz: thanks for pointing this out
19:43
<dberkholz>
i'm gonna try to get in free this year on a press pass, but i don't know whether i'll succeed
19:43
i did last yera
19:43
<ogra>
if all fails you can come over to ubuntulive :)
19:44
<johnny>
i'd come..
19:44
<dberkholz>
that's the days before
19:44
<ogra>
21,22
19:44
i thought oscon starts earlier ?
19:45
<dberkholz>
technically yes
19:45
but the real days are wed & thurs
19:45
before that is the very expensive tutorials
19:45
<ogra>
ah
19:45
<warren>
I don't think Red Hat will let me stay there for over a week
19:45
in order to go to Ubuntu Live
19:45
<ogra>
i havent been at oscon last time, u-l ended when oscon began and i only saw some weird google promo events
19:45
<warren>
what is Ubuntu Live anyway?
19:46
<ogra>
Ubuntu Live is a vibrant and important gathering of IT professionals, government and business leaders, educators, community leaders, enterprise and business users.
19:46
qouting from the program
19:47
<dberkholz>
basically ubuntu for people with money
19:47
<warren>
sounds like Red Hat Summit
19:47
<ogra>
well, rather like ubuntu for admins and CTOs
19:47
its supposed to cover more than just business
19:48
with tech tracks for people who work with it
19:48
as well as the general business foo
19:49
warren, and for people like you to meet chris kenyon to discuss his via statements :P
19:49
<warren>
is kenyon at canonical?
19:50
<ogra>
he's our business development lead
19:50
<warren>
what I find curious about the via affair is that it seemed to me, more of the same typical media behavior from Ubuntu
19:51
It sounded like Ubuntu taking advantage of getting free press in something that sounded good in a press release, without any benefit to an upstream project or trying to get via to learn how to behave in an upstream fashion.
19:52
<ogra>
well, he tried to say "its great that via opens for the oss devs and does a step in teh right direction" but indeed rolled that in his typical businsess speech which then sounds worng ...
19:52
<warren>
so no, I don't think it would be particularly productive to talk to your business development person
19:53mccann has joined #ltsp
19:53
<ogra>
chris is a plain business guy with not much dev background
19:53
<warren>
I began drafting a letter to via but the mess upstream is extremely challenging for an outsider to understand
19:53
<ogra>
from his perspective it ws a good move (in which he is right, compared to via not caring at all before)
19:53
<warren>
via could provide the leadership that upstream needs to unify the driver again and cut through the bullshit
19:53
<ogra>
he just expresses such stuff in a weird way
19:54
<warren>
via is the main player that has a commerical interest in their own fucking driver
19:54
<ogra>
they didnt have any interest the last years at all
19:54
now they show *some*
19:54
<warren>
I'm extremely tired of doing favors for vendors that don't try to cooperate with the community
19:54
<ogra>
thats a good step imho ...
19:54
a letter from you might get them on the right track
19:55
its a start
19:55
<warren>
yes, that's why I'm working on it
19:55
I am trying to do some research into the upstream projects before sending it
19:55
<ogra>
and its a good start, however odd it might appeear
19:55
<warren>
here's a question
19:55
is Ubuntu willing to join me in getting VIA to become a true upstream player?
19:56
<ogra>
i'd guess so
19:56
<warren>
cut through the forked driver bullshit and provide actual leadership in doing their own driver
19:57
<ogra>
Bryce Harrington <bryce@canonical.com> is our X maintainer .... he has surely no objections to line up to get them dtrt
19:57
and with chris contacts inside of via we might have a lever at the right place
19:58
so talk to bryce (feel free to refer to me and explain to him what you want) and i'm sure he will listen and agree
19:58
<warren>
I will likely talk to your X maintainer
19:58
but this letter is going public instead of directly to VIA
20:00
<ogra>
well, just dont turn t into a rant .... there is politics involved on all sides, so that needs soft gloves to not scare via away again
20:00
<johnny>
yeah... for real
20:00
warren, you should get a proof reader before publishing:)
20:00
<warren>
I'm not going to denounce VIA
20:00
I'm going to point out how other vendors behave in upstream and list a few things they can do to improve.
20:01
<ogra>
sounds good
20:01
<warren>
and their need to take leadership in the driver mess
20:04gbolte has quit IRC
20:05
<dberkholz>
warren: have you talked to libv already?
20:06
him and thomas hellstrom are probably worth talking to
20:06
<warren>
who are they?
20:06* ogra heads to bed ... meeting in 4h
20:06
<dberkholz>
warren: basically the reason for the driver split =)
20:07
libv ~ unichrome, hellstrom ~ openchrome, xorg via driver died because they couldn't agree which direction to go
20:11
libv is luc verhaegen, if you've seen that name around
20:12LSF_ has joined #ltsp
20:12
<dberkholz>
he's got all kinds of gems about his relationship with via like http://libv.livejournal.com/6502.html
20:14
<warren>
"yeah but when you and rms are in bed, who calls out whos name? even more cute!"
20:15
the blog comments contain a lot of WTF
20:17
<dberkholz>
warren: iirc, fiona was his contact at via -- that might provide some context
20:17
<warren>
wow
20:17
this is some serious wtf
20:18
anyway, it should suffice to stay the attitudes and simply point out the benefits that their competition has gained by being a true upstream partner
20:18
look at the commit log of intel driver releases
20:18
tons of commits from non-intel people
20:18
<dberkholz>
hell, take a look at the radeon driver
20:18
nobody from ati till they hired one of the main devs
20:21
<warren>
ati hired a X developer?
20:21
<dberkholz>
yes, alex deucher
20:21
<warren>
how long ago was that?
20:21
<dberkholz>
he's the guy who's now prepping all their documentation for open release
20:21
oh, maybe 6 months
20:21
http://www.botchco.com/agd5f/?p=6
20:22NovatoxD has joined #ltsp
20:22
<NovatoxD>
hola a todos alguien habla español?
20:22
<warren>
curious that AMD couldn't use ATI's existing X developers
20:22
(for their closed source driver)
20:22
maybe they were too encumbered with legal problems
20:23
<NovatoxD>
tengo edubuntu como servidor de terminales
20:23
pero al iniciar un cliente me manda el seguiente error:
20:23
<dberkholz>
warren: i think it's more a question of the open driver missing so many features that are customer requirements that it's currently cheaper to maintain the closed one at the same time
20:24
<NovatoxD>
can't access tty: job control turned off
20:24
<dberkholz>
warren: although it is my understanding that they plan to open up more of it
20:25
those features being things that very few people need like hardware stereo support
20:25
<warren>
yeah, it seems that AMD is getting more right
20:25
did VIA release specs?
20:27
<NovatoxD>
´╗┐can't access tty: job control turned off
20:27
<dberkholz>
warren: just code, i think. not sure
20:27
<warren>
intel did both specs and code
20:28
dberkholz: anyway, this is encouraging
20:28
<dberkholz>
http://www.x.org/docs/ has most of the freely available stuff (see AMD, intel directories)
20:28
<warren>
I feel like people who refused to compromise and accept binary drivers in past years have created community and market pressure.
20:28
<dberkholz>
warren: do i hear a bit of fedora cheerleading? =)
20:29
<warren>
Intel took leadership first in community and upstream, and they became the only vendor who has a reputation of JUST WORKING.
20:29
dberkholz: hell yes. Debian and Fedora.
20:29
our decision to reject it has not been popular
20:29
but it was necessary
20:30
dberkholz: as a younger company you have no idea how much pressure Red Hat was under from both customers and NVidia to just ship their driver
20:30
dberkholz: we refused customers over this many times
20:30
this was years ago now, things have clearly changed now
20:30
<dberkholz>
too bad it's hard to quantify how much money and time you actually saved through lack of support
20:31
<warren>
hard to quantify, yes.
20:31
lowered support costs by being able to directly support everything we ship is only a small part though
20:31
Red Hat (the market leader) accepting binary drivers years ago would have made it accepted as the norm
20:32
we wouldn't have the vendors coming onboard to the community like this
20:32
sure this has not made us popular
20:32
<johnny>
now if only you stopped using rpm... :)
20:32
lol
20:32* johnny breaks up the cheerleading for a moment
20:33
<warren>
Liberty is not free, nor is it comfortable.
20:33
<NovatoxD>
alguien puedo ayudarme con este error can't access tty: job control turned off
20:34
<johnny>
our resident spanish speaker is not about atm.
20:35
NovatoxD, that's not an error, that's normal on the first shell afaik
20:35
<warren>
johnny: surely everyone's perceived dislike of rpm is not rpm itself but really the equivalent of apt?
20:35
<dberkholz>
(translation: can someone help me with this error)
20:35
warren: i think rpm spec files look ugly
20:35
<johnny>
yes.. i understand that much spanish :)
20:36
<warren>
dberkholz: that may be a matter of preference
20:36
<dberkholz>
the requirement to add major versions into package names i dislike, and epoch
20:36
<warren>
uh, Deb has the equivalent of epoch
20:36
with a different name
20:36
<dberkholz>
i dislike it there too =)
20:36
<warren>
"add major versions into package names" meaning what?
20:36
<dberkholz>
gtk-2
20:37
<warren>
that isn't a requirement
20:37
<NovatoxD>
johnny
20:37
<dberkholz>
it is if you need multiple versions installed at the same time, unless something's changed
20:37
<warren>
what does debian do to ship both gtk1 and gtk2 at the same time?
20:37
<johnny>
they do that warren
20:37
<warren>
how are these rpm specific problems then?
20:38
<johnny>
didn't think dberkholz was speaking against rpm only
20:38
<dberkholz>
i wasn't, it did sound like you were though
20:39
<NovatoxD>
johnny can you help me?
20:39TelnetManta has joined #ltsp
20:39
<johnny>
NovatoxD, that error you said.. is not a problem
20:39
<NovatoxD>
i have other problem
20:39
<johnny>
yes :)
20:40
<warren>
it sounds like deb and rpm both designed themselves into the same problems
20:40
<dberkholz>
that's of course why we needed pardus to design a new package format
20:42
it seems like a lot of people (and distros) think that package management is a solved problem
20:42
<NovatoxD>
mount: bfsmount faiiled:: bat file descriptor
20:42
<dberkholz>
i still think there's considerable room for improvement
20:42
<johnny>
NovatoxD, what distro ?
20:42
NovatoxD, what ltsp version?
20:42
<warren>
dberkholz: oh, we hate rpm too. really.
20:44
<NovatoxD>
Johnny: i dont remember the version
20:44
<johnny>
NovatoxD, what distro version?
20:45
<NovatoxD>
edubuntu 6.06
20:45
<johnny>
NovatoxD, you should upgrade
20:45
<NovatoxD>
for the ltsp i don remember
20:45
yes
20:45
i update
20:46
<johnny>
and then rebuild yur ltsp chroot
20:46
NovatoxD, that is, unless you have a support contract with canonical.. in which case you should talk to them :)
20:49
<NovatoxD>
johnny: i dont support
20:49
<johnny>
NovatoxD, you should upgrade, and then come back
20:51
<NovatoxD>
ok
20:51
tanks
20:51
johnny
20:52
returnet tomorrow
20:52
<johnny>
NovatoxD, there are also many ubuntu experts here
20:52
who are sleeping at this time
20:52
<NovatoxD>
When this I in my PC
20:52
<johnny>
if you come back earlier, you might catch them
20:52
<NovatoxD>
good night
20:52
<johnny>
good night
20:53NovatoxD has left #ltsp
20:54jammcq has joined #ltsp
20:55artista_frustrad has quit IRC
20:58artista_frustrad has joined #ltsp
20:58J45p3r has quit IRC
21:04ndim has quit IRC
21:09ndim has joined #ltsp
21:10
<warren>
dberkholz: actually, by https://en.oreilly.com/oscon2008/public/register#pricing it sounds like BOF are not free
21:15
<dberkholz>
huh.
21:15
<warren>
dberkholz: the web page implies that BOF access is a benefit of paying
21:15
<dberkholz>
i suspect you could get in anyway, i doubt anyone would be watching that close, particularly at the later ones
21:15
<warren>
we can't tell people about a fedora BOF only for them to be turned away
21:16
<dberkholz>
my reading agrees with yours
21:18
you could claim that your bof was part of oscamp, i suppose
21:18
yay, i filed a gnome bug
21:19hersonls has quit IRC
21:37hersonls has joined #ltsp
21:42Egyptian[Home1 has joined #ltsp
21:52Egyptian[Home] has quit IRC
22:18vagrantc has joined #ltsp
22:25
<vagrantc>
alright, 25th-27th it is!
22:26
<johnny>
vagrantc, hey hey
22:26
<vagrantc>
i'll update my request to use the freegeek space, and maybe prod some people to get confirmation
22:26
johnny: how goes?
22:26
<johnny>
just working on a website atm.. or attempting to..
22:27
there's still an unresolved issue with gettng my code merged
22:27
not sure if it will be solved until 2008.0 release
22:27
<vagrantc>
johnny: the non-LTSP bits?
22:30
<johnny>
i need to figure out my chroot generator isn't doing what it is supposed to.
22:31
i should try again
22:31
now that ihave a moment
22:31
<dberkholz>
johnny: well, we can just custom-generate a stage and use that. we don't have to wait on releng
22:33
<johnny>
sure...
22:34
<dberkholz>
if we're clever, we might even be able to sneak it onto ltsp.org
22:34
we'd better not tell anyone else, though
22:36
<johnny>
well we can't release until we get official tarballs
22:37
as far as i'm concerned, ltspfs and ldm are done
22:37
it's only ltsp-client and server
22:37
since we don't need nbd support to get stuff out
22:37
altho we should work on it..
22:40
<dberkholz>
i saw something recently hit the kernel about partitions on nbd
22:47alekibango has quit IRC
22:51tux_440volt has joined #ltsp
22:59tux_440volt has quit IRC
23:08TelnetManta_ has joined #ltsp
23:21mccann_ has joined #ltsp
23:23TelnetManta has quit IRC
23:33mccann has quit IRC
23:53tux_440volt has joined #ltsp
23:56tux_440volt has quit IRC
23:57tux_440volt has joined #ltsp