IRC chat logs for #ltsp on irc.freenode.net (webchat)


Channel log from 24 July 2008   (all times are UTC)

00:26psycodad1 has joined #ltsp
00:26psycodad has quit IRC
01:03gate_keeper_ has joined #ltsp
01:11_wigwam_ has joined #ltsp
01:11wigwam has quit IRC
01:17deavid has joined #ltsp
01:22ogra has joined #ltsp
01:23
<vagrantc>
ogra: hey!
01:24* ogra waves from portland
01:24
<vagrantc>
ogra: you find a place to sleep?
01:24
<ogra>
i got a sweet very "local flavoured" place at the "quality" inn :)
01:25
about 20 blocks away from eharrison
01:25
<vagrantc>
heh. ok.
01:25
<ogra>
i might be able to book that until monday (if they manage to fix my doorlock)
01:25
<vagrantc>
heh.
01:26
<ogra>
great to be back again
01:27
i had a nice alascan lady next to me at the plane that tought my some history and told nice hiking stories about the three mountains :)
01:27
<vagrantc>
heh
01:27* vagrantc read that as alsacan
01:28
<ogra>
canned linux sound :)
01:29
well, the place i'm in is something others would likel call creepy ... but it really feels like home after a week in the airwashed hilton i think i can bear that place for some days
01:29
feels more alive actually
01:30
i dont know how much my daily taxi will be though ... but it shouldnt be more than 10 miles to freegeek and eric can pick me up
01:31
so i guess i'm all set :)
01:41
<vagrantc>
busses aren't usually too bad, but i don't really know the west side
01:42
<ogra>
well, eric will pick me up tomorrow at least
01:43
but first i need that dorr thing fixed *grin*
01:43
*door even
01:43
i havent had a non working lock yet, usually the cards are just broken
01:44
but here the battery seems to be gone or so
01:48* vagrantc hopes gadi found his way alright
01:49
<vagrantc>
don't know if folks would like to meet up during the day ... i'll be working at freegeek 11-5, but it's fairly flexible with time..
01:49Q-FUNK has joined #ltsp
01:57
<vagrantc>
ogra: see ya tomorrow?
01:57
<ogra>
yeah
01:58
sorry, busy catching up on mail, but i'm still here :)
01:58
<vagrantc>
not a problem... i'm about to get some sleep.
01:58vagrantc has quit IRC
02:00
<TNKLTSP>
ogra
02:01
<ogra>
hey
02:01
<TNKLTSP>
did u read what i said couple of days ago about the fuse + AD domain user, I have infact resolved the case (kind of)
02:01
the problem is this:
02:01
sopsaare@tuki:~$ id
02:01
uid=363339454(sopsaare) gid=363332097(domain^users) groups=363332096(domain^admins),363332097(domain^users),363334246(primus^users),363334738(mikrotuki),363337601(tyoharjoittelijat),840465266
02:02
<ogra>
uh, looks odd
02:02
<TNKLTSP>
the ltspfs making the directory /media/%USER
02:02
doesnt recognice the gid=363332097(domain^users) as valid usergroup
02:02
while making the directori which shoul look likethis
02:02
<ogra>
looks a bit high
02:03
i'm not really sure yu can use GIDs above 65535
02:03
<TNKLTSP>
likewise-winbind does it pretty damn well
02:04
the whole system (apart ltspfs) recognices the GID:s
02:04
the group names can be used far specific files, folders, services, even sudo rights
02:05
<ogra>
how does ltspfs break with that then ?
02:05
<TNKLTSP>
it doesnt create the folder /media/%USER
02:06
and I have been thinking (can't test atmo becouse our AD is under heavy reconstruction) and the problem might even lie in the usergroup name
02:06
"Domain Users" which is built-in primary group for the domain users
02:07
<ogra>
well, dont forget that the user needs fuse rights
02:07
<TNKLTSP>
and which likewise-winbind tells me that it is named domain^users
02:07
fuse right have been solved (trought many different ways)
02:08dukai has joined #ltsp
02:08
<TNKLTSP>
But I'll file U a full scale article about Ubuntu LTSP envinroment as part of AD when I get my D back to track and the work done (most propably in a month)
02:09
because I'm pretty sure that there will be discussion about the AD + LTSP subject in near future
02:10
(the easiest way to test fuse rights is to just add the domain user to "fuse" group in /etc/group)
02:11
<Shawn_Powers>
ogra: reading back, I assume you're at OSCON?
02:12
<ogra>
Shawn_Powers, not exactly, i might drop by there in the public area for 1-2h tomorrow though ... but main objective for me being in portland is the ltsp hackfest
02:12
<Shawn_Powers>
that's what I was going to ask about -- jammcq mentioned a few months back about the hackfest on Friday
02:13
I'm curious when, where, etc.
02:13
<ogra>
freegeek
02:13
we'll start tomorrow
02:13
<Shawn_Powers>
(I get to attend as both press, and a tech director)
02:13
ahh
02:13
where is freegeek?
02:13* Shawn_Powers hopes near the convention center somewhere...
02:13
<Shawn_Powers>
There's like a tour there on Friday, no?
02:13
<ogra>
other side of the river afaik
02:14
vagrant can give you directions
02:14
http://freegeek.org/map
02:14
<Shawn_Powers>
awesome. I was hoping to get some video of freegeek to put up on linuxjournal.com
02:14
<ogra>
heh, and me too actually
02:14* ogra just found the url in his backlof
02:14
<ogra>
sZf/g/
02:15
feel free to drop by at any time :)
02:15
<Shawn_Powers>
awesome -- I was just up at 10th street earlier today for a drupal gathering
02:16
oh, crap
02:16
SE 10th ave is differfent
02:16
;)
02:17
<ogra>
yeh, its not directly around the corner
02:17
<Shawn_Powers>
is there an official start time, or just "all day thurs & fri"
02:17johnny has quit IRC
02:17laga has quit IRC
02:17_wigwam_ has quit IRC
02:17devsforev has quit IRC
02:17Patina has quit IRC
02:17loather has quit IRC
02:17jbrett has quit IRC
02:17mistik1 has quit IRC
02:17stgraber has quit IRC
02:17popey has quit IRC
02:17vpro has quit IRC
02:17
<ogra>
rther from thu to sun :)
02:18
<Shawn_Powers>
ahh... sadly, my plane leaves Saturday
02:18
<ogra>
most of the core devs stay over the weekend
02:18_wigwam_ has joined #ltsp
02:18devsforev has joined #ltsp
02:18mistik1 has joined #ltsp
02:18popey has joined #ltsp
02:18jbrett has joined #ltsp
02:18loather has joined #ltsp
02:18Patina has joined #ltsp
02:18stgraber has joined #ltsp
02:18vpro has joined #ltsp
02:18
<Shawn_Powers>
but I'm far from a dev
02:18
;)
02:18johnny has joined #ltsp
02:18laga has joined #ltsp
02:18
<ogra>
well, you want to meet the devs :)
02:19
<Shawn_Powers>
Yes, I really really do
02:19
<ogra>
we didnt make a starting time up for tomorrow
02:19
eric (who is my ride) just said he wont be up before 8 and i should cll him then
02:19
<Shawn_Powers>
I've been an LTSP fanboi and user much (MUCH) longer than a Linux Journal editor
02:19johnny has quit IRC
02:19
<Shawn_Powers>
Eric Harrison?
02:19devsforev has quit IRC
02:19
<ogra>
yep
02:19
<Shawn_Powers>
He lives here, no?
02:19
<ogra>
he does
02:20
about 20 blocks from my ho/motel
02:20* ogra isnt really able to judge this place here
02:20
<Shawn_Powers>
sigh... linuxjournal put me up in the "swanky" DoubleTree
02:20
10 dollar a day wifi
02:20
crappy connection
02:20
180 bucks a night
02:20
WTF?
02:20
<ogra>
well, i'm hooked up to *some* wifi that was open here :)
02:21
the room has a cat5 wallplug i didnt tyr yet
02:21
and the wifi likely doesnt belong to the hotsl
02:21
*hotel
02:21
<Shawn_Powers>
yeah, unfortunately, I can *almost* get a signal from somewhere else
02:22
I almost wish they'd charge 190 a night, and "give" me wifi
02:22
<ogra>
is the doubletree the one acrss the street from the convention center ?
02:22
<Shawn_Powers>
No, it's the "official" hotel for the conference
02:22
<ogra>
i thnk i stayed there last year
02:22
ah
02:22
<Shawn_Powers>
but it's 2 trains stops away
02:22
the "Red Somethingorother" is closer
02:22
I wanna say Red Bull
02:22
but it's not
02:22
:)
02:23
*they* have free wifi
02:23
;)
02:23
Ok -- I'm going to bed
02:23
if you're at the convention tomorrow, I'm wearing a bright red linux journal polo
02:23
feel free to introduce yourself
02:24
I have stickers... lol
02:25
<ogra>
yeah
02:25ogra has quit IRC
02:25ogra has joined #ltsp
02:26
<ogra>
§%%$&#*&
02:26
why doesnt gnome-power-manager warn me before shutting down my system ....
02:26
hrm
02:27
at least it propely suspended
02:28Pascal_1 has joined #ltsp
02:29
<Shawn_Powers>
I have Ubuntu on an HP-2133 that I reviewed -- and today at OSCON it decided that it didnt' want to sleep anymore. I thought my bag was going to catch on fire. Very strange.
02:29
and now I'm *really* going to bed
02:29
;)
02:29
<ogra>
yeah, me too, i'll crash in front of the tv for a bit more though
02:30gate_keeper_ has quit IRC
02:36Pascal_1 has quit IRC
02:49ogra has quit IRC
02:56fie_wr0k has quit IRC
02:56fie_wr0k has joined #ltsp
03:08Subhodip has joined #ltsp
03:29psycodad1 has quit IRC
03:29psycodad has joined #ltsp
03:30dukai has left #ltsp
03:31nantes_geek has joined #ltsp
03:33plamengr has joined #ltsp
03:54Q-FUNK has quit IRC
04:00cyberorg has quit IRC
04:01cyberorg has joined #ltsp
04:03psycodad has quit IRC
04:03psycodad has joined #ltsp
04:07plamengr has quit IRC
05:51generalsnus has joined #ltsp
05:56
<generalsnus>
Hey guys, at our school we have previously used "skolelinux" for our thinclient servers.: 3 ltsp servers and 1 ldap server with users /home folders. now i wish to replace the thinclient servers with a new distro, Xubuntu. but how do make it xubuntu authenticates and mount the /home folders from our ldap server?
06:03
<klausade>
generalsnus: there is plenty of documentation on the net howto use *ubuntu machines together with skolelinux ldap-server. Maybe start with http://wiki.skolelinux.de/Skolelinux/Ubuntu and http://www.skolelinux.no/~klaus/sarge/a4765.html. Those should give you a startingpoint.
06:22Q-FUNK has joined #ltsp
06:25Subhodip has quit IRC
06:31ATA_Dark_Shadow has joined #ltsp
06:38barbosa has joined #ltsp
06:49F-GT has quit IRC
06:51F-GT has joined #ltsp
06:55fie_wr0k has quit IRC
06:55laga has quit IRC
06:58fie_wr0k has joined #ltsp
06:58laga has joined #ltsp
07:05deavid has quit IRC
07:08cliebow has quit IRC
07:09GodFather has joined #ltsp
07:18alekibango has joined #ltsp
07:19otavio has joined #ltsp
07:40Blinny has joined #ltsp
07:40Q-FUNK has quit IRC
07:40Q-FUNK has joined #ltsp
07:41generalsnus has quit IRC
07:55The_Code has quit IRC
08:03jorgezero has joined #ltsp
08:09
<jorgezero>
anyone know how do i upgrade a pxe 2.01 to 2.1?
08:14The_Code has joined #ltsp
08:37leio has quit IRC
08:42
<jorgezero>
anyone know how do i upgrade a pxe 2.01 to 2.1??
08:44leio has joined #ltsp
08:52Subhodip has joined #ltsp
08:57epoxy|w3rk has joined #ltsp
08:58leio_ has joined #ltsp
09:01leio has quit IRC
09:06
<jorgezero>
anyone know how do i upgrade a pxe 2.0 to 2.1??
09:07Pascal_1 has joined #ltsp
09:08giorgio has joined #ltsp
09:08
<giorgio>
hi all
09:08
guys how i can disable the local sound on thinclients ?
09:09
i edit this file /var/lib/tftpboot/ltsp/i386/lts.conf
09:10
and put this command
09:10
SOUND = False
09:10
but , the sound still on thinclients
09:11Pascal_1 has quit IRC
09:12kl_eisbaer has joined #ltsp
09:13
<cyberorg>
The_Code, you around
09:13
<The_Code>
cyberorg, yes
09:14
<cyberorg>
The_Code, i saw couple of huge commits from you, tell us about it :)
09:15
btw, welcome to Easy-LTSP GUI GSOC weekly meeting :)
09:15
<The_Code>
i made some changes to the gui
09:15
i removed the checkboxes for localdev and sound and made them tasks
09:16
the way tasks are selected changed, the combobox has gone and it is now done with a popupmenu which appears when you click and the add task button
09:16
next thing is that i added a remove task button, to let the user remove tasks he added
09:16
<kl_eisbaer>
The_Code: any tarball for a quick test around?
09:17Egyptian[Home] has quit IRC
09:17Egyptian[Home] has joined #ltsp
09:18
<The_Code>
kl_eisbaer, on my way
09:18
<kl_eisbaer>
The_Code: thanks
09:19
<The_Code>
next thing is parsing of lts.conf which is done with nini library
09:19
http://forgeftp.novell.com/kiwi-ltsp/easy-ltsp-0.4.tar.gz
09:19Mibbti has joined #ltsp
09:19
<The_Code>
binaries are there
09:20
<kl_eisbaer>
The_Code: thanks
09:20
<The_Code>
deploying of lts.conf also working
09:20
user can choose to parse or deploy the lts.conf from easy-ltsp.conf or choose a target and source
09:21
and that's it for now, i am currently creating the possibility to add clients to the section
09:22
ah, and the tasks in the popup have tooltips
09:22
<kl_eisbaer>
The_Code: so 0.4 would be the first version which has the base functionality ?
09:23
of creating/deploying lts.conf ?
09:23
<The_Code>
when i have finsihed the add client possibility, i would say so
09:24
<cyberorg>
The_Code, i am impressed :)
09:24
<kl_eisbaer>
The_Code: ok - what about the parsing of an existing lts.conf ?
09:24
<The_Code>
kl_eisbaer, as i said done using nini
09:24
<kl_eisbaer>
Two questions about your tarball:
09:25
whats Nini.dll ?
09:25
and where is easy-lts.conf =
09:25
?
09:25
<The_Code>
Nini.dll is a .net ini parsing lib, which is used for parsing lts.conf
09:25
<kl_eisbaer>
ah, ok
09:26
<The_Code>
easy-ltsp.conf is missing cause it is in /etc/easy-ltsp/
09:26
<cyberorg>
The_Code, we need to work out terminology for "Parse" and "Deploy" ogra's mom wont know what they mean
09:26
<kl_eisbaer>
The_Code: ok - just want to be shure I didn't miss it :-)
09:27
<The_Code>
kl_eisbaer, the problem is that this location needs to be hardcoded
09:27
<kl_eisbaer>
The_Code: yes, I know
09:27
<The_Code>
cyberorg, yes, maybe read and create
09:28
<cyberorg>
just "Open", "Save" and "Save As" under lts.conf menu
09:28
<kl_eisbaer>
The_Code: please "tag" your splitted versions in SVN
09:28
<The_Code>
kl_eisbaer, yes
09:29ogra has joined #ltsp
09:29
<cyberorg>
hi ogra :)
09:29
<The_Code>
cyberorg, only one open?
09:29
<kl_eisbaer>
I hope, I can build the source "from scratch" in a few days. So the prebuild binaries shouldn't be necessary any more
09:29
<cyberorg>
ogra, new version: http://forgeftp.novell.com/kiwi-ltsp/easy-ltsp-0.4.tar.gz
09:29
<kl_eisbaer>
The_Code: but please keep a copy of easy-ltsp.conf in your working directory
09:30
<The_Code>
kl_eisbaer, my makefile is getting in shape
09:30
<kl_eisbaer>
The_Code: ok, thanks
09:30
<The_Code>
kl_eisbaer, sure
09:30
for deploying i agree with save and save as
09:31
but for the parsing, either the user wants to use the defined or a different one how to tell him this
09:31barbosa has quit IRC
09:33
<kl_eisbaer>
The_Code: what about using the "Open" menu entry for this?
09:33
The_Code: you can/should open the file browser and let the user choose his version :_)
09:33
<The_Code>
so only one way to read a lts.conf file, using a file browser?
09:34
<kl_eisbaer>
The_Code: IMO: yes. You can point the user to "your" default one, but in the end the user should decide....
09:34
<The_Code>
this can be a good way
09:34
<kl_eisbaer>
...just think about the differnt locations of this file in the different distribution
09:35
/srv/ltsp/.... vs /opt/ltsp/....
09:35
...and please save the "last choosen" lts.conf in your own config - and ask the user if he wants to overwrite it when he saves or exits
09:36
<The_Code>
therefor it is specified in easy-ltsp.conf
09:36
<kl_eisbaer>
The_Code: yes
09:36
<The_Code>
yes i will ask him! i am also working on the hash comparison
09:37
<kl_eisbaer>
The_Code: can you add a "warning" message in the "lts.conf" tab if the user hasn't saved his changes ?
09:38
<The_Code>
kl_eisbaer, you mean not saved to the file
09:38
<kl_eisbaer>
Otherwise it's a bit confusing that the lts.conf still shows "[section 0]" if you've entered a name for it (but not saved)
09:38
<cyberorg>
kl_eisbaer, would you post details about Easy-LTSP packages in Edu ML and any other place too? we now need people filing bugs :)
09:39
<kl_eisbaer>
cyberorg: you've also welcome to post to this list :-)
09:40
<cyberorg>
kl_eisbaer, people will kick me for cross posting on so many ML ::P
09:40
<The_Code>
kl_eisbaer, right, either this or just make a automatic save when user changes
09:40
<kl_eisbaer>
cyberorg: perhaps we can start writing the help files and HowTos as soon as Jan says his GUI is "frozen"
09:40
<cyberorg>
kl_eisbaer, yes
09:40
<kl_eisbaer>
The_Code: I would say a warning is enough - or display the resulting lts.conf just on demand
09:41
<cyberorg>
The_Code, keyboard and language task is missing
09:41
<kl_eisbaer>
otherwise you've to wait for the filesystem (or other stupid things) if you save on every change
09:41
<The_Code>
kl_eisbaer, i save to my datastructure first (no filesystem)
09:41
<kl_eisbaer>
The_Code: yes, this should be enough as your application is rock solid :-)
09:42
<The_Code>
and lts.conf is always recreated when user switches to the tab
09:42
cyberorg, language?
09:42
keyboard right this has to be done
09:42
<kl_eisbaer>
The_Code: might be - but my first test (starting with an empty lts.conf) shows a differnt behavior
09:43
The_Code: and I'm not shure if it's enough to show just the "task names" in the first Tab (Section)
09:43
<The_Code>
kl_eisbaer, what happens
09:44
<kl_eisbaer>
Now I have "Tasks" -> "XServer" without any other information in this tab
09:44
Just when I enter the "Advanced" Tab, the thinks look clearer to me
09:44
<The_Code>
which indicates you have added the xserver task
09:44
<kl_eisbaer>
but this is currently just a small layout thing
09:44
:D
09:45
<The_Code>
in advanced you see the variables and their values
09:45
<kl_eisbaer>
The_Code: Yes....
09:45
The_Code: but can you made this "list" a bit more clearer for me and my mom ? :-)
09:45
Perhaps by adding a checkbox
09:46
<The_Code>
a checkbox? for what?
09:46
<kl_eisbaer>
for the Tasks in the main Section window
09:46leio_ has quit IRC
09:46
<The_Code>
kl_eisbaer, what should it do
09:46
<kl_eisbaer>
I would expect that I have to click on the Task first and afterwards on the "Remove task" button to remove it (or more) for example
09:47leio_ has joined #ltsp
09:47japerry has joined #ltsp
09:47
<kl_eisbaer>
So just a checkbox behind or bevore each task which can be selected for removal
09:47
<The_Code>
ok, yes better way user can remove more then one task
09:48
<kl_eisbaer>
jip
09:48
I'm also not shure if the "Advanced" button and the "Advanced tab" should stay as they're now
09:48
as both do the same, perhaps one can be dropped?
09:48Blinny has quit IRC
09:49
<The_Code>
advanced button is not needed anymore
09:49bobbymac has joined #ltsp
09:49
<kl_eisbaer>
ok - so please remove it
09:49
<bobbymac>
hi
09:49
<The_Code>
advanced button is there because in first version there were only two tabs, and tabs were only shown when clicked on advanced button
09:49
yes will remove it
09:49
<kl_eisbaer>
And can you add a headline over the left textfield (with the sections)?
09:50
bobbymac: hi
09:50
The_Code: just name it "Sections" or something like that - just to give things a name for reference in the docu
09:50
<The_Code>
yes, i will add column title (it's a treeview)
09:51
<kl_eisbaer>
The_Code: thanks
09:51japerry has quit IRC
09:51
<kl_eisbaer>
The_Code: ähem: and a "you're shure that you want to remove Section xy?" dialog please ... :-)
09:52
<The_Code>
kl_eisbaer, ok
09:52
<kl_eisbaer>
The_Code: BTW: I'm reproducing the "[Section 0]" error with an empty lts.conf right now
09:53
<The_Code>
kl_eisbaer, what error what is happening
09:53
<kl_eisbaer>
what about exchanging the "Advanced" button with a "Preview lts.conf" button ?
09:53
<bobbymac>
I recently setup an Hardy LTSP server with amd64 OS and figured out how to build a client with the --arch i386 and --kiosk options. Now I need to customize the thin client setups. For instance, I need to change the home page in firefox and I need to chage the color scheme to match our university colors. Help?
09:53
<kl_eisbaer>
The_Code: create a new lts.conf
09:53
add Name and comment in the new section
09:53
visit lts.conf tab
09:54
<The_Code>
kl_eisbaer, yes it is not saved in the datatructure when you haven't clicked on save button
09:54
but i am working on the autosave stuff
09:55
<kl_eisbaer>
The_Code: so what about hiding the lts.conf tab and display a popup window instead if the user clicks on a "preview" button ?
09:55
<The_Code>
would be no problem for me, when we want to have another window
09:56
<kl_eisbaer>
The_Code: I'm fine with this as it's a -- non editable -- Preview of the final result
09:56
(perhaps some users just want to copy and paste)
09:57
<The_Code>
ok, but i will make it a modal dialog, because it can only change when user clicks the button
09:57
<kl_eisbaer>
The_Code: ok
09:57jorgezero has quit IRC
09:58masus has joined #ltsp
09:59jammcq has quit IRC
09:59
<masus>
hi all, does anyone know which ports or protocol is used by ltsp ?
09:59
<kl_eisbaer>
The_Code: BTW: can you add a Wheel-Mouse, too?
09:59
masus: dhcp, tftp, nfs ?
09:59
<cyberorg>
The_Code, LDM_LANGUAGE
09:59
<The_Code>
ssh
10:00
<masus>
kl_eisbaer: how do they connect to the server "which port or protocol"
10:00
<kl_eisbaer>
should be "X_MOUSE_BUTTONS = 5" "X_ZAxisMapping = 4 5 "
10:00
<The_Code>
cyberorg, values are the normal ones like en_us
10:01
<kl_eisbaer>
masus: first => dhcp to get an ip adress, afterwards downloading via PXE
10:01
which is normally via TFTP
10:01
<The_Code>
kl_eisbaer, ok will add it
10:01
<kl_eisbaer>
The_Code: rest as the 3 button mouse
10:01
<masus>
kl_eisbaer: , i'll do a iptables bandwidth monitor for the ltsp clients but if i use the ip range the ltsp client are slowing down , so i'll add the protocol or port to the iptables role
10:01
<kl_eisbaer>
ups
10:01
The_Code: adding two mices into one section crashes ?
10:02
<cyberorg>
The_Code, not sure, this was added to ldm recently
10:02
<kl_eisbaer>
masus: depending on your settings, perhaps you've to open other ports like the one for the X-Server
10:02
<cyberorg>
it is in ldm-trunk/src/greeter_iface.c
10:03
<masus>
hmm yes thats it x-server ports
10:03
<kl_eisbaer>
masus: and ports 20 and 21 (for tFTP)
10:03
<The_Code>
cyberorg, will have a look
10:03
kl_eisbaer, do you want to have two mice?
10:04
or what do you mean with crashes
10:04
<kl_eisbaer>
Ah, no. Sorry. I'm just playing around a bit....
10:04
<The_Code>
cause i can add as many as i want, but values are overwritten
10:04
<masus>
kl_eisbaer: i'll try one mom
10:04
<kl_eisbaer>
The_Code: leads me to the question what to do if a user want to "add" an existing task again... :-)
10:05
The_Code: it should at least be possible to define two or more printers
10:06
ah, works.
10:06
ok: you win ! :-)
10:06
<The_Code>
kl_eisbaer, every task (except for printer) can be added once, if added more times the values are overwritten
10:06
in printer task you can define printer number and if this is not the same as for the first printer another one is added
10:06
<kl_eisbaer>
The_Code: hmmm. I'm not shure if this is the right way for all current tasks
10:06
=> should be discussed in the mailinglist IMO
10:07
<The_Code>
kl_eisbaer, but if you use a variable more then once, what happens
10:07
<cyberorg>
may be we offer "The task already added > Overwrite? Add one more?
10:07
<kl_eisbaer>
The_Code: yes - but silently overwriting the old value is not good
10:07
yes
10:08
And as far as I know, starting more then one X-Server on the client is possible for example
10:08
<The_Code>
ok, if it exists i will ask the user if he wants to overwrite it
10:08
<kl_eisbaer>
even to have more than one mouse (but thats only tested on my workstation ;-)
10:08
<cyberorg>
kl_eisbaer, we may soon have MPX
10:08
<The_Code>
but is it possible to use the XSERVER variable more then once
10:09
<kl_eisbaer>
I have to look at my old config again....
10:09
I remember that there was an "init" variable containing for example xterm => 0; X11 => 1
10:09
<The_Code>
ogra, cyberorg , is it possible to use a variable more then once?
10:09
<cyberorg>
The_Code, also line up all the added tasks on left when you add checkboxes next to them for removing
10:10
<bobbymac>
anbody: I recently setup an Hardy LTSP server with amd64 OS and figured out how to build a client with the --arch i386 and --kiosk options. Now I need to customize the thin client setups. For instance, I need to change the home page in firefox and I need to chage the color scheme to match our university colors. Help?
10:10
<cyberorg>
kl_eisbaer, i dont think getltscfg can parse two values of same variable
10:10
<The_Code>
cyberorg, the checkbox does this automatically, only labels are diplayed centered when not defined in a different way
10:11
<cyberorg>
it needs to be like MOUSE_0, MOUSE_1 etc
10:11
<The_Code>
just like printer and x_mode
10:11
<kl_eisbaer>
bobbymac: as firefox stores the configs for each user in his home directory, you can define something in the default path ($FIREFOXLIBDIR/defaults/preferences/*.js) but this would be overwritten by the user settings
10:12
<cyberorg>
i dont think that kind of thing is implemented for all variables
10:13
<kl_eisbaer>
Looks like we have a "TODO" for the next meeting: clarify, if a setting (for mouse for example) can be used mutliple times in a section
10:13
<bobbymac>
kl_eisbaer: but as this my clients are running in kiosk mode there is only one user. (I think) ?
10:13
<cyberorg>
The_Code, just ask on ltsp-discuss ML
10:13
<kl_eisbaer>
bobbymac: depends on your config - but it should be, yes
10:13
<The_Code>
i will ask the ml
10:14
<kl_eisbaer>
The_Code: ah....
10:14
The_Code: SCREEN_01 = startx
10:14
SCREEN_02 = shell
10:14
That's what I remind....
10:15
<cyberorg>
kl_eisbaer, i have improved kiwi-ltsp a lot since last week, i'll update it later today, i'll killed all the bugs in our devzilla
10:15
*i have killed
10:15
<bobbymac>
kl_eisbaer: Here is the catch. I have no Kiosk user defined thus no home directory!
10:15
<The_Code>
kl_eisbaer, yes this works
10:15
<kl_eisbaer>
cyberorg: devzilla?
10:15
<cyberorg>
http://devzilla.novell.com/kiwi-ltsp/
10:15leio_ has quit IRC
10:16
<bobbymac>
kl_eisbaer: Which I suppose begs the question: How the heck are my kisok terminals logging in?
10:16
<cyberorg>
that is where kiwi-ltsp bugs go to die
10:16
<kl_eisbaer>
cyberorg: ah. missed that link on http://developer.novell.com/wiki/index.php/Easy-LTSP
10:16
bobbymac: :D
10:17
bobbymac: who the f***k is root ?
10:17leio_ has joined #ltsp
10:17* cyberorg kicks kl_eisbaer
10:18* kl_eisbaer says autsch :-)
10:18
<kl_eisbaer>
cyberorg: can you add the devzilla link to the Easy-LTSP pages, please?
10:19elisboa has joined #ltsp
10:19* The_Code thinks Easy-LTSP has to have at least one component in order for you to enter a bug into it
10:19
<kl_eisbaer>
The_Code: ah - 23 bugs isn't to hard to read at the moment
10:19
<cyberorg>
so i believe kiwi-ltsp is feature and performance wise is as far as i could take it
10:19
The_Code, there already is Easy-LTSP in the devzilla
10:20
<The_Code>
cyberorg, yes found it and wanted to add a bug and got this message
10:20
<bobbymac>
so you're say my thin clients loading a kiosk chroot are logging in as root?
10:21
<cyberorg>
The_Code, right, captain_magnus you know anything about this message?
10:21
<kl_eisbaer>
bobbymac: No - thats not what I say. But if you're not shure which account it is, handle it like it IS the root account
10:22
<bobbymac>
I see
10:22
<kl_eisbaer>
cy, captain_magnus: Version and Component should be classified IMO
10:23
...and the default assignee should be Jan
10:25staffencasa has joined #ltsp
10:27
<cyberorg>
i dont know where to access admin panel for that
10:32
The_Code, i've given you admin rights to devzilla, do you see any admin links there?
10:34
<The_Code>
cyberorg, i see products at hte end of the page, and when i click on it i can navigate to product easy-ltsp and there is a field edit components
10:36
cyberorg, should i add a component, or do you do it
10:36
<cyberorg>
yeah do it, i dont see it
10:36
<kl_eisbaer>
Something like "Kiwi" and "LTS" would be cool :-)
10:38
<cyberorg>
kl_eisbaer, ? we call it kiwi-ltsp ;)
10:38
<The_Code>
e-mail adress is used for assignee ?
10:38
<kl_eisbaer>
The_Code: yes
10:38
<The_Code>
and who is default QA
10:39
<kl_eisbaer>
cyberorg: no: the components are part of kiwi-ltsp :-)
10:39
The_Code: same email :-)
10:39
<The_Code>
kl_eisbaer, the component is called Kiwi-LTSP
10:39
<cyberorg>
The_Code, can you paste the link of admin page?
10:40
<The_Code>
http://devzilla.novell.com/kiwi-ltsp/editproducts.cgi?action=edit&product=Easy-LTSP
10:42
<cyberorg>
Sorry, you aren't a member of the 'editcomponents' group!!
10:42
i created this bugzilla :/
10:42
<The_Code>
cyberorg, that's bad
10:43
<cyberorg>
actually it all ichain's falut
10:43
*fault
10:43
<The_Code>
i added components: kiwi-ltsp, lts, general
10:43mhterres has joined #ltsp
10:44leio_ has quit IRC
10:45leio_ has joined #ltsp
10:48japerry has joined #ltsp
10:48
<The_Code>
kl_eisbaer, i have fixed your crash
10:48
<kl_eisbaer>
The_Code: thanks
10:48vagrantc has joined #ltsp
10:53
<cyberorg>
hi vagrantc
10:53
vagrantc, how does LDM_LANGUAGE work, what values does it take?
10:54
<vagrantc>
cyberorg: i think any valid locale
10:54
locale -a
10:54
or any supported locale
10:54
not sure how other distros handle locales
10:54
<cyberorg>
vagrantc, ok, what happens if unsupported one is put in lts.conf?
10:54
<vagrantc>
cyberorg: i think it should fall back to C/POSIX
10:55
<cyberorg>
ok, The_Code ^^
10:55
<The_Code>
read it, working on that
10:56
<cyberorg>
vagrantc, you have mono installed?
10:56
<vagrantc>
no
10:57
<cyberorg>
if you have access to a machine with mono, you feedback for Easy-LTSP would be very valuable :)
10:57
give this a try http://forgeftp.novell.com/kiwi-ltsp/easy-ltsp-0.4.tar.gz
10:57japerry has quit IRC
10:57
<cyberorg>
just extract it and run "mono Easy-LTSP.exe"
10:58japerry has joined #ltsp
10:58
<The_Code>
cyberorg, he needs easy-ltsp.conf in /etc/easy-ltsp/
10:59
<cyberorg>
The_Code, can you upload a tarball with that in it?
10:59
<The_Code>
will change the tarbal, mom
11:02
updated it
11:06tux_440volt has joined #ltsp
11:09GodFather has quit IRC
11:09
<masus>
kl_eisbaer: TCP 20,21,6000:6063 does not work ... ? do you have another idea
11:09
<kl_eisbaer>
TFTP uses UDP
11:09
<masus>
hmmm
11:09
<kl_eisbaer>
and you've forgotten DHCP
11:10
so 647 and icmp should pass
11:10
even 546 if you use ipv6
11:11
<masus>
i'll try it
11:11
<kl_eisbaer>
test if the clients get a valid ip-address
11:11
otherwise all other settings can be ignored
11:12
and even the routing and name resolution should work
11:12
<masus>
everything works fine i have test it
11:12
only the bandwidth limit
11:12
<kl_eisbaer>
hm: nfs ?
11:12Q-FUNK has quit IRC
11:13
<kl_eisbaer>
ports for nfs and portmap should be accessable
11:13
<masus>
it'sone tcp port i know it because this works -> -t mangle -A POSTROUTING -p tcp --dport 1:65000 -j RETURN
11:13
it's in the tcp range
11:13
<kl_eisbaer>
nfs should be something like 2049 and portmap.... 369 (but I'm not shure)
11:13
<masus>
ok i'll try thank u
11:13
<kl_eisbaer>
ah, ok
11:13
<masus>
ah what ?
11:13
:D
11:14
<kl_eisbaer>
try udp, please :-)
11:14
tcp is just a fallback for nfs and portmap in most cases
11:14
<masus>
udp which port ?
11:14
<kl_eisbaer>
hm... 369 2049
11:14
<masus>
ok
11:14
i'll try one mom
11:14
<kl_eisbaer>
but I'm not shure, please see /etc/services on your machine
11:15leio_ has quit IRC
11:15
<kl_eisbaer>
If you've a console on your clients, try "showmount -e <servername>"
11:17leio_ has joined #ltsp
11:19
<masus>
kl_eisbaer: done
11:19
kl_eisbaer: -p tcp --dport 2268
11:20
do you know for what is port 2268
11:39Subhodip has quit IRC
11:44leio_ has quit IRC
11:45leio_ has joined #ltsp
11:51cdealer has joined #ltsp
11:51
<cdealer>
Hi eveybody
11:52
<cyberorg>
The_Code kl_eisbaer i've added the transcript to http://developer.novell.com/wiki/index.php/Easy-LTSP
11:52
also added bug tracker
11:53
<cdealer>
help me with something that came today... is ltsp using /etc/hosts in particular the 127.0.1.1 address to some kind of clients control ??
11:55
<The_Code>
cyberorg, nice, thanks
11:57leio__ has joined #ltsp
11:58
<ogra>
vagrantc, are eric and warren already hanging out at freegeek ?
11:58* ogra needs to know if he needs a cab to head over
12:00
<warren>
ogra: i'm still at eric's house
12:00
ogra: eric is at his work
12:00
<ogra>
ah
12:00
<warren>
ogra: I'm heading over soon
12:00
to his office
12:01
ogra: it seems we're going to OSCON
12:01
<ogra>
warren, there is a prob with my doorlock, so if i leave the room i cant get in easily again
12:01
so i need to plan a bit if i dont want to run through hassle :)
12:01
<warren>
ogra: did you decide if you are staying therE/
12:02
<ogra>
i would like to, but havent talked to the frontdesk yet
12:02
(due to the mentioned prob)
12:02
seems the electronic lock ran out of battery :P
12:02
totally silly
12:03
and indeed they only have one general physical key for all doors
12:03
so i cant just get that one :P
12:03
<warren>
wow
12:04
<cyberorg>
guys if you go to OSCON lookup japerry and check out our ltsp5 implementation :)
12:04
<ogra>
yeah, one thing more i could blog about if my blog were up ....
12:04
i have so many funny travleing stories :)
12:04
<japerry>
warren, ogra: the Linuxfest Northwest booth
12:05
<ogra>
japerry, if i go to OSCON intel will grab me and not let me go ... i'm not sure i want that ....
12:05
<japerry>
we have our presentation and a demo machine up. although just our luck the server is having hardware issues sporactically
12:05
aww
12:05
I'll also bring the systems tomorrow to the hackfest
12:05
<ogra>
how far is your booth from the intel one ?
12:05
<warren>
what time does OSCON end today?
12:06
<ogra>
6pm every day, no ?
12:06
is it last day today already ?
12:06
<japerry>
the exhibit hall ends around 5
12:06
<cyberorg>
japerry, check out the last couple of commits, the boot errors are gone, and splash stays put now
12:07
<ogra>
(i actually *should* see intel but dont want to be blocked for the whole day)
12:07
<japerry>
cyberorg: sweet, I'll push out another image then today
12:07
<ogra>
ah, last day is 25th
12:09
<japerry>
yah tomorrow no expo hall
12:09
<ogra>
warren, can you guys pick me up then ? i will try to fix the boking and doorlock issues now
12:10
<japerry>
I'll be down at the booth today except from 11:35-12:20
12:10
and also gone from 1:45-2:30.
12:10
<warren>
ogra: I'll call Eric and ask him to pick you up.
12:10
ogra: in how long?
12:10
<ogra>
if you go anyway
12:11
<japerry>
cya folks later
12:11
<warren>
ogra: Eric's gf will soon take me to Eric's office.
12:11japerry has quit IRC
12:11
<ogra>
ah
12:12
well, i'll either stay at the front desk if the booking doesnt work or be in the room (123)
12:12
its propbably clever if you pick me up on the way towards eric since thats nearer
12:13* ogra goes now ... and prays :)
12:13leio_ has quit IRC
12:14
<warren>
ogra: oh hmm
12:14
ogra: I don't know where things are
12:14
I don't know where I am.
12:21Q-FUNK has joined #ltsp
12:25Pascal_1 has joined #ltsp
12:26japerry has joined #ltsp
12:27japerry has joined #ltsp
12:30ogra has quit IRC
12:33leio_ has joined #ltsp
12:34leio_ is now known as leio
12:37kl_eisbaer has left #ltsp
12:39ATA_Dark_Shadow has quit IRC
12:44leio__ has quit IRC
12:53Pascal_1 has quit IRC
12:54irule has joined #ltsp
12:54bobbymac has left #ltsp
13:00K_O-Gnom has joined #ltsp
13:02jorgezero has joined #ltsp
13:05giorgio has quit IRC
13:06
<jorgezero>
anyone know how do i upgrade PXE 2.0 to 2.1???
13:09johnny has joined #ltsp
13:09
<johnny>
sup folks
13:10
<rcy>
hi johnny
13:11vagrantc has quit IRC
13:13leio has quit IRC
13:14Q-FUNK has quit IRC
13:14leio has joined #ltsp
13:18japerry has quit IRC
13:23spectra has joined #ltsp
13:27tux_440volt has quit IRC
13:27japerry_cat has joined #ltsp
13:29leio_ has joined #ltsp
13:41masus has quit IRC
13:42japerry_cat has quit IRC
13:42japerry has joined #ltsp
13:43leio has quit IRC
13:44roberto__ has joined #ltsp
13:44johnny has left #ltsp
13:49
<roberto__>
Hello to all the ltsp 5 this very slow in boot, which can be?
13:52Pascal_1 has joined #ltsp
13:58rcy has quit IRC
14:01devsforev has joined #ltsp
14:02
<devsforev>
Hello again everyone. I am trying to get my nVidia NV11 graphics card working with xorg and the "nvidia" driver. I am having a hard time troubleshooting this problem since i cannot seem to locate a xorg.0.log file or any log related to xorg. When I boot the terminal, it attempts to start X but goes to a blank/black screen. Any thoughts? Thanks in advance.
14:03
<Lns>
roberto__, might depend on your thin clients
14:03
devsforev, try creating a root password in the chroot and CTRL+ALT+F1 to go to a console from the thin-client - your xorg logs are there in the ramfs
14:05
<devsforev>
Lns: Excellent, sounds good. I will try that now.
14:05
<Lns>
devsforev, keep in mind you need to ltsp-update-image and reboot thin-client for the pw to take effect
14:08
<roberto__>
my thin clients are pcs with 512MB RAM
14:10
Lns_ -my thin clients are pcs with 512MB RAM
14:11
Lns_ puleaseeeee
14:11
<Lns>
?
14:11
roberto__, you're not giving very much information here
14:11
have you tried 'nosplash' and removing 'quiet' from boot parms to see where it hangs?
14:12
<roberto__>
Lns_ not yet... how do I do it?
14:12
<Lns>
brb..updating firewall
14:13
<roberto__>
Lns_ what's brb?
14:13leio_ has quit IRC
14:14
<roberto__>
Lns - the thing is... I had the server here at the office and my team was working on its migration...
14:15leio_ has joined #ltsp
14:15
<roberto__>
Lns_ they were working perfectly, we tested the thin clients and the servers for a week
14:16
Lns_ now my team has taken the PCs to the client, but the thin clients don't seem to be "on the mood" anymore
14:17
Lns_ can you help us, it's urgent
14:18
<devsforev>
Lns: Lns I specified "SCREEN_01 = shell" in my /etc/lts.conf to let me log in. At the prompt "ltsp login:" i type 'root' and it responds: "bash: root: command not found" before i can even type the password.
14:21
<irule>
what is the famous sticky bit in UNIX permissions?
14:21
<roberto__>
Lns_ ?
14:22
<devsforev>
roberto__: brb == be right back
14:22
<roberto__>
devsforev_ thanks so much...
14:22
<devsforev>
sure thing
14:27japerry has quit IRC
14:28Gadi has joined #ltsp
14:28
<Gadi>
warren: u there?
14:29leio__ has joined #ltsp
14:29Lns has quit IRC
14:30Lns has joined #ltsp
14:30leio_ has quit IRC
14:30
<roberto__>
Lns_ u there?
14:32Pascal_1 has quit IRC
14:33vagrantc has joined #ltsp
14:38
<Lns>
roberto__, yes
14:38
what OS are you using?
14:38
brb = be right back
14:39
<roberto__>
Lns_ I'm using Ubuntu 8.04
14:40
<Lns>
roberto__, the list of grub options is in /var/lib/tftpboot/ltsp/i386/default, iirc
14:41
so modify that file and remove 'quiet' and replace 'splash' with 'nosplash' - ltsp-update-image, and reboot the thin client. you should then see the dmesg when the thin client boots and you can try to figure out what it's hanging on / making it take so long.
14:42
if you're using AMD64 on the server remember the --arch i386 for ltsp-update-image
14:43indradg has joined #ltsp
14:51
<roberto__>
Lns_ we're trying that... let's see what happens now
14:52
brb
14:54Mibbti is now known as barbosa
15:01cdealer has quit IRC
15:05
<roberto__>
Lns_ we did exactly as you said and the thin clients take 5 min to boot
15:09
Lns_ no error returned... so still no clue of what's possibly happening
15:09
Lns_ any ideas?
15:10
Lns_ The server is Intel with RAM 4GB
15:11
?
15:12
<Lns>
roberto__, what does it hang at?
15:13leio__ has quit IRC
15:14
<roberto__>
we saw the dmesg and it doesn't show us anything wrong
15:15leio__ has joined #ltsp
15:25
<roberto__>
Lns_ we got the file from the cllient's server, but it's huge and has apparently no problems
15:25
Lns_ what should I do?
15:31
<Lns>
roberto__, i'm not sure what you're saying - did you modify the file? do you see the messages on the thin client as it boots now?
15:31
I have to get some food, i'll be back in about an hour and a half
15:33
<roberto__>
Lns_ I midified the file, but we don't see the messages on the thiin client as it boots (at least nothing unusual)...
15:38japerry has joined #ltsp
15:44leio__ has quit IRC
15:45leio__ has joined #ltsp
15:53spectra has quit IRC
15:57leio_ has joined #ltsp
16:14leio__ has quit IRC
16:17K_O-Gnom has quit IRC
16:20japerry has quit IRC
16:30leio__ has joined #ltsp
16:32
<Lns>
roberto__, can you paste the contents of the file? Did you run ltsp-update-image?
16:37mib_twoych has joined #ltsp
16:37leio has joined #ltsp
16:40japerry has joined #ltsp
16:43
<roberto__>
Lns_ yes I did... do you want me to paste the WHOLE file?? it's huge...
16:43
<Lns>
roberto__, then you edited the wrong file...
16:43leio_ has quit IRC
16:44
<roberto__>
Lns_ so what's the file I should edit?
16:44
<Lns>
roberto__, ok i think I gave you the wrong file.. you need to edit /var/lib/tftpboot/ltsp/i386/pxelinux.cfg/default
16:45
Edit it to read the following: DEFAULT vmlinuz ro initrd=initrd.img nosplash
16:45
I'm not sure what file you edited before but un-edit it ;)
16:45
<roberto__>
Lns_ hmm... ok I'll try that... lol
16:46
Lns... that's exactly what we did...
16:47
<Lns>
ok...well the file is 1 line long... ? shouldn't be huge
16:47
did you run ltsp-update-image afterwards?
16:48
<roberto__>
yes
16:48
<mib_twoych>
ho avuto lo stesso problema
16:48elisboa has quit IRC
16:49leio__ has quit IRC
16:49
<roberto__>
well, the file dmesg you told me to verify is huge though...
16:50
<mib_twoych>
l'ho risolto, sistemando il server dhcp, ho ricreato le chiavi rsa e ricostruito l'immagine del kernel
16:50
e tutto si he messo a funzionare alla grande
16:50barbosa has quit IRC
16:51
<roberto__>
mib_twoych_ ?
16:51
<mib_twoych>
username random!!
16:51
<roberto__>
miib_twoych_ comme hai fatto?
16:52
<mib_twoych>
posto il messaggio in italiano
16:52
<roberto__>
e io sono brasiliano
16:52
no parlo italiano molto bene
16:53
:b
16:53
<mib_twoych>
ok!
16:53
<roberto__>
puoi po0stare in English... per favore?
16:53
<mib_twoych>
ok
16:53
<roberto__>
o in portoguese
16:53
portoghese
16:54
<mib_twoych>
english
16:54
<roberto__>
ok
16:54
<mib_twoych>
1) setup dhcp.conf correttamente
16:55
<roberto__>
ok...
16:55
aaaannnnnnnnnnnd?
16:55
<mib_twoych>
2) attendere un momento per favore
16:56
<roberto__>
16:56
<mib_twoych>
2) sudo ltsp-update-sshkey
16:56
3) sudo ltsp-update-immagine
16:57
rispetto a
16:58
<roberto__>
??
16:58
O^o... che é... "rispetto a"?
16:59
<mib_twoych>
questi sono i passaggi che ho fatto al fine di risolvere il problema
16:59
quindi, forme eth1 con IP statico 192.168.0.254
17:01
riavviare il server dhcpd con "sudo / etc / init.d / dhcpd restart-server"
17:02
e questo è tutto
17:03mhterres has quit IRC
17:03
<mib_twoych>
Chiedo scusa per il mio inglese
17:03
<roberto__>
were you able to solve the low speed booting problems with the thin clients?
17:04
Ed io chiedo scusa per il mio Italiano ;)
17:04
<mib_twoych>
;)
17:05
<roberto__>
so you did solve the problems with slow speed booting thin clients... ours are taking 5 min to boot...
17:06
<mib_twoych>
17:07
<roberto__>
I'm Roberto's daughter... Only translating here... lol
17:07ogra has joined #ltsp
17:07
<roberto__>
our dhcp is configured with 192.168.0.2 , do you see problems with that?
17:08
?
17:09
<mib_twoych>
IP di eth1 deve essere 192.168.0.254 per impostazione predefinita
17:11
<roberto__>
ok, brb
17:14
<mib_twoych>
Vi chiedo scusa, ma ho fatto confusione: P eth1 prende l 'IP da un router con DHCP server, mentre eth0 ha IP statico (19.168.1.254), del resto, il server DHCP di "server ltsp" rilascia gli indirizzi ( 192.168.1.1 fino a 192.168.1.253) per il cliente!
17:15
se è la prima volta che utilizza ltsp, vi consiglio di utilizzare fedoracore6 k12ltsp, l'installazione è molto semplice.
17:21johnny has joined #ltsp
17:23
<roberto__>
we're using ubuntu 8.04 and the only problem we're experiencing is the slow boot... but well try to fix it adn your help was really great
17:23
grazie tanti per il tuo aiutto
17:24
<johnny>
dberkholz, where are you?
17:27mib_twoych has left #ltsp
17:36
<vagrantc>
!seen jammcq
17:36
<ltspbot>
vagrantc: jammcq was last seen in #ltsp 1 day, 0 hours, 59 minutes, and 8 seconds ago: <jammcq> and they have it at this place
17:38
<johnny>
vagrantc, sup guy?
17:38
what are you up to?
17:39
<vagrantc>
johnny: working at freegeek for the next couple hours ... might try and get in some aikido in before jammcq and sbalneav show up
17:42J45p3r___ has joined #ltsp
17:53
<Lns>
vagrantc, you study aikido?
17:53
<vagrantc>
Lns: a little
17:53
<ogra>
johnny, he is running around at OSCON ... we had lunch together
17:53
<Lns>
that's awesome..i've always wanted to get into that
17:56
<devsforev>
Does anyone know if there are any tricks to getting nvidia-glx drivers working with LTSP? I have been having a hell-of-a-time trying to get them work, and I am starting to wonder if its my hardware or my LTSP implementation. Any ideas are welcome.
17:59
<Lns>
sorry devsforev i'm not sure, never used nvidia drivers on a tc before
17:59johnny has quit IRC
18:01
<devsforev>
No worries. The only reason I want to get them running is because video is jerky when I play it. I feel like the "nv" driver may be to blame. When I use mplayer or VLC many frames are skipped and video is jerky. If I can get smooth playback, I won't need to use the nvidia drivers. Any sugguestions here?
18:02
<Lns>
devsforev, typically i wouldn't recommend thin clients for full video playback, but that's just me.. i haven't done a lot of that, most of my expertise (if you'd call it that heh) is in school lab environments with things mainly like OOo and firefox
18:03
flash is as close as i get to fvp
18:03
<devsforev>
I only have one terminal right now (will have 2 at most in the future) and it is connected to my MythTV box. I want to be able to play the videos on the terminal with smooth playback, but so far I have had trouble with it skipping frames, so I figured it might be the driver.
18:03
<Lns>
devsforev, you're using ltsp for mythtv terminals?
18:03
<The_Code>
devsforev, LDM_DIRECTX = true in lts.conf
18:03
devsforev, but this drops security for X related traffic
18:04
<Lns>
The_Code, i've had trouble using ldm_directx before..i forget what exactly it was...but it was a while ago too
18:04
<devsforev>
Lns: I am using LTSP just for one mythtv of my Myth terminals. I figured it would save TONS of time in configuration of an extra box, and make the whole system more cohesive.
18:05
<Lns>
devsforev, i thought mythtv had its own terminal thing going on outside of ltsp
18:05
<The_Code>
devsforev, just a way that might increase speed for your video
18:05
<Lns>
for multiple remote boxes
18:05
<devsforev>
The_Code: I will enable LDS_DIRECTX now and let you know.
18:06
<The_Code>
devsforev, just try it, if security doesn't matter
18:06
<devsforev>
Lns: that is true; Myth is divided into a frontend/backend. I could feasibly have another frontend on this box, but the machine itself is only ~300mhz and has about 256MB of ram.
18:06
The_Code: I will; security is not much of a concern in my enviornment
18:07
<The_Code>
good
18:09
<ogra>
devsforev, are yu aware that the mythbuntu CD can set up a mythitv fat client out of the box ?
18:10
the mythbuntu team has put a lot effort into that and i heard it runs quite well
18:10
<devsforev>
ogra: no I am not. I will investigate this option as well. However, I do not have a hard drive in the box right now (nor do I have one laying around). If I go this route, I'll pick up one for cheap online. Thanks for the tip!
18:11
<ogra>
its a diskless fat client setup :)
18:11
<devsforev>
ogra: Really?!
18:11
<ogra>
talk to laga if he's around, he maintains it
18:11* devsforev googles mythbuntu
18:12
<devsforev>
could mythbuntu connect to an existing myth system diskless? or would the server need to be running mythbuntu as well? If so, I couldn't do it --- i have spent months configuring this box
18:14
<ogra>
well, mythbuntu wouldnt simply take you months ... not sure what you confgured there, but it should just work and has a very easy configuration UI
18:14japerry has quit IRC
18:15
<ogra>
i have no ide about mythbuntu itself though, never used it, but i know it has an out of the box "diskless fat client" CD mode thats based on ltsp5 and configures itself just right
18:17
but really, best is to talk to laga, he works closely with mythtv as well as mythbuntu and did the diskless mode implementation ... he is on a european timezone ...
18:17
<devsforev>
i'll look for him to become active. thanks for the advice!
18:18* devsforev is booting with LDM_DIRECTX = true to see how it works right now
18:19
<ogra>
it drops the encryption overhead ... but i doubt that will help you much .... shoveling 30fps uncompressed over the network in fullscreen is simply saturating everything ...
18:19
(you could switch to 8bit color :P that would surely speed things up )
18:20
<Gadi>
devsforev: another good test is to run mplayer from a terminal with the flag: -ao null
18:20
that kills audio
18:20
if the video improves, then it isnt a bandwidth issue
18:21
it is the player trying to keep video and audio sync'd
18:22
with LDM_DIRECTX = false, you will always have bad video - as you go through an unaccelerated proxy
18:23
<devsforev>
Gadi: what if I make mplayer and such run as a local app? would that help
18:23
<Gadi>
extremely
18:23
yes
18:23
<ogra>
Gadi, are you in portland already ?
18:23
<devsforev>
i'll try that idea
18:23
thanks!
18:23
<Gadi>
then, you can send compressed video down to the client
18:23
ogra: I am typing from freegeek as we, er, speak
18:24
<ogra>
Gadi, http://www.opensourcery.com/news/2008/07/beerforge-finish-your-oscon-week-style
18:24
we should meet there tonight :)
18:24
<Gadi>
sounds good to me
18:25
<ogra>
cool :)
18:25
<Gadi>
my two favorite things - beer and forgery
18:25
hmm...
18:25
<ogra>
they also have wine for vagrantc
18:25* Gadi shakes his head
18:25
<Gadi>
ogra: have you seen warren?
18:25
<ogra>
over what ?
18:26
<Gadi>
(over wine)
18:26
<ogra>
yes, we were at oscon the whole day
18:26
<Gadi>
good times?
18:26
<ogra>
and had the same flight
18:26
<Gadi>
my flight was delayed so much - I didnt get in until 5AM portland time this morning
18:26
<devsforev>
I am looking at the LocalApps wiki page right now, and there is a lot of stuff on making private/public keys. is that necessary for LocalApps, or just password-less login?
18:26
<ogra>
and he did the upstream work on te ketchup bottle at lunch for me today, so i didnt have to pat it on the bottom to get ketchup for my fries :)
18:27
<Gadi>
patting on the bottom is a rookie mistake
18:27
;)
18:27
<ogra>
(you know we ubuntu folks always rely on RH to do the real upstream work and then only integrate the outcome ;) )
18:27
<Gadi>
so I hear
18:27
<ogra>
yeah thats what sesamie street teaches you :)
18:28
never pat the bottom
18:28
but warren didnt want to hear ...
18:28
<Gadi>
hehe
18:28
<ogra>
bah ... delayed flights
18:29
<Gadi>
in the airport, I wrote an rc.d script for localapps
18:29
<ogra>
we sat on the airfield fro 45min because we would have flewn directly into a thunderstorm after takeoff
18:29
<Gadi>
(speaking of localapps)
18:29johnny has joined #ltsp
18:29
<ogra>
sweet !
18:29
<Gadi>
we'll see if it works
18:29
:)
18:29
but, the framework's there
18:29
<ogra>
did you notice that opnssh 5.1 has statfs support in sftp ?
18:29
<Gadi>
wasnt I the one that mentioned it?
18:29
:D
18:30
<ogra>
we'll get it in 8.10 and colin will also put it into debian experimenal
18:30
<Gadi>
cool
18:30
<ogra>
oh, you were, sorry
18:30
<johnny>
really???
18:30
<Gadi>
I wrote the script assuming a call to sshfs
18:30
<johnny>
officially? not just in ubuntu?
18:30
<Gadi>
figuring if we wind up shimming something, we just change the line
18:30
<johnny>
hey guys
18:30
what are you up to?
18:31
<ogra>
johnny, waiting for you to arrive
18:31
<johnny>
lol
18:31
<ogra>
we decided to stop any work until you are here
18:31
<johnny>
i doubt it
18:31
<ogra>
so no new ltsp stuff then
18:31
<johnny>
since we're not supposed to be there until tomorrow right?
18:31
<ogra>
only drunken devs
18:31
<johnny>
isn't it a bit early?
18:32* ogra arrived yesterday ...
18:32
<johnny>
altho you must be seriously jetlagged
18:32
<ogra>
but wnet to OSCON
18:32
*went
18:32
<johnny>
ouch.. we coulda met up
18:32
i couldn't afford to be in any of the stuff tho
18:32
except the expo hall, but i did score some schwag, and got some food out of it
18:32
<ogra>
well, i'm actually over my jetlag after 10 days in the US ... but i didnt sleep well tonight and look like a zombie
18:33
<johnny>
so, what are you up to tonight then?
18:33
<ogra>
but people are used to me like that so i dont scare tham anymore ... (only the new ones :) )
18:33
tonoght -> http://www.opensourcery.com/news/2008/07/beerforge-finish-your-oscon-week-style
18:34* vagrantc wonders where beerforge is
18:34japerry has joined #ltsp
18:34
<johnny>
oh.. you're gonna be there
18:34
<devsforev>
can somebody tell me what i should to do make mplayer run as a local app? I just specified LOCAL_APPS = Y in my lts.conf, but the wikipage gets a little vague after that. Thanks a bunch
18:34
<johnny>
vagrantc, sorry for disappearing on your earlier, oscon wifi sucks
18:34
<vagrantc>
and scotty and sbalneav will be getting in right around the same time it starts
18:34
<devsforev>
I also exported /homes
18:34
<ogra>
vagrantc, yeah, we need to get them there
18:34
it goes on until 11pm
18:34
<johnny>
so beerforge is free?
18:34
i didn't see
18:35
<ogra>
as i understood it is, yes
18:35
<Gadi>
devsforev: there is no automagic localdev support as yet - its one of the things a drunken lot of us will work on this weekend
18:35
<ogra>
Gadi, only if johnny comes
18:35
else we'll ony be drunken
18:35
<Gadi>
devsforev: until now, most folks cobble something together
18:35* johnny decides not to show up..
18:35* ogra burps in advance
18:35
<johnny>
i doubt it.. i think you burped forreal
18:36
<devsforev>
Gadi: alright, i guess i'll google around a bit
18:36
<Gadi>
Ill only go if its free as in beer
18:36
<johnny>
lol
18:36
<ogra>
well, in a time travelling manner
18:36
<Gadi>
warren's the one devoted to free as in speech
18:36
<johnny>
so do they check your open source credentials before allowing entry ?
18:36
<Gadi>
:)
18:36
<ogra>
he had beer with us last night
18:36
<Gadi>
what?
18:36
<johnny>
where were you guys/
18:36
<Gadi>
no way
18:36
did you get a pic?
18:37
<johnny>
nobody told me
18:37
<ogra>
very good beer in erics favorite brewery
18:37* johnny is sad
18:37* Gadi is sad to have been on a tarmac at the time
18:37
<ogra>
dont ask me for names ... i just sit in the trunk until they let me out to the bar
18:38
<johnny>
dberkholz, you back yet?
18:38
dberkholz, i commmited most relevant 2008.0 updates
18:38
<ogra>
i doubt it and the wlan at oscon sucks
18:38
<johnny>
we really need to get my stuff merged
18:39
<ogra>
we talked about it after lunch a bit, we'll get yu going johnny, no worries
18:39
<johnny>
is there anything we can do to get some official tarballs of snapshots ? or should we do it ourselves?
18:39
no rpm please...
18:39
<ogra>
do it yourself, we can show you
18:39
you need the mkdst branch for that
18:40
<johnny>
so we'll host it on our mirrors then?
18:40
atm we require bzr
18:40
in the chroot
18:40
<ogra>
you tag the main branch with the release version and run mkdst, that creates tar.gz and tar.bz2 for you
18:40
<johnny>
it's not that bad of a requirement i guess
18:40
well.. you guys did the tagging already
18:40
don't need to tag myself until we get my stuff in, if dberkholz finds it acceptable
18:40
<ogra>
if you dont wnat to bump the version just run mkdst
18:41
i think he will, else we tie you up in a corner at freegeek until it fits :)
18:41
<johnny>
has anybody done work on continuing an install ? instead of hard failling if /opt/ltsp/$arch exists ?
18:42
<ogra>
no, and it would be massivley unclean
18:42
in debian and ubuntu we have an option that reuses the packages at least and keeps them in place
18:43
but you still need to clean up before reinstalling, else you likely end up with a lot of mess in the chroot
18:43
<johnny>
i missed a dep, and now i have to start all over
18:43
need to find a way to get the binaries from the cd
18:43
at least for development
18:43
<ogra>
we *could* rm -r the dir ... but that would be mean for people accidentially forgetting the --croot arg
18:43japerry has quit IRC
18:44
<ogra>
yes, you should have a way for that
18:44
<johnny>
hmm.. imma chroot in there and quickpkg it all , donnie has a script for that
18:45
<ogra>
which reminds me ...
18:46* ogra goes and fixes the 8.10 ltsp-build-client
18:46
<ogra>
you evil guys just moved files around :P
18:46* johnny hides your files
18:47
<ogra>
well, it was rather warren or altlinux that moved everything to subdirs in the scripts dir of ltsp-server
18:47
i just missed that so one plugin explodes
18:48
<johnny>
i really need to go over the changes then
18:48
ok.. time to go browsin
18:48
so far.. i've yet to have to modify anything but ltsp-trunk
18:48
that is a good thing
18:51
fun.. i got a few things to do then
18:52
<ogra>
you got us there for help :)
18:53
<johnny>
shouldn't be much, some of it is what i suggested awhile
18:53
i have one question for dberkholz specifically, my chroot install failed due to X not being pulled in.. OOPS!
18:53
not sure where the dep should go, must have been too late
18:54
<ogra>
well, we have a telnet mode :)
18:54
no need for X :P
18:54
<johnny>
that's not true, ltspfs needs X :)
18:54
pkgconfig totally failed
18:54
<ogra>
who needs ltspfs with telnet :)
18:55
<johnny>
hmm.. guess i'll have to look into that..
18:55
so.. did you see that somebody actually got my ebuilds to work, with only a few questions?
18:55
and had a successfully booted install
18:55
considering it's not even been looked at by dberkholz
18:55
that makes me happy
18:56* ogra wonders why the plastic cups in his hotelroom wear condoms
18:56
<johnny>
they tend to do that at hotels
18:56
<ogra>
only in the US :)
18:56
i wonder what thats supposed to tell me
18:58
<johnny>
that nobody would ever think to use your cup
19:01
<Lns>
...or whenever you drink from that cup, you've drank from every cup that your cup has been with
19:02
<johnny>
lol
19:02
Lns, it's too bad you aren't here on the left coast... you'd be a good tester
19:02
ogra, what time are you thinking about getting there tomorrow?
19:03
<ogra>
no idea, eric is my ride ...
19:03
Lns, giggel
19:03
<Lns>
johnny, tester for cups with condoms?? =p left coast = west coast? I'm in Cali
19:03
<johnny>
you're not takin the bus?
19:03
Lns, up here with us in portland
19:03
<Lns>
ah
19:03
my sis lives in portland
19:03
<ogra>
johnny, i'm a slacker (and my bag is heavy)
19:04
3 laptops to carry and a lot of cable crap
19:04
<Lns>
I'd love to be there.. Owning a startup is demanding though
19:04
<johnny>
3 laptops ?
19:04
<ogra>
2 classmates and my lappie
19:04
<johnny>
i saw a classmate for the first time today
19:04
<ogra>
i dont leave any valuable thing in the hotel
19:04
<johnny>
there are safety deposit boxes..
19:05
<ogra>
lol
19:05
you havent seen my hotel
19:05
<johnny>
well at least you found A hotel..
19:05
<ogra>
yeah
19:05
i actully like it ...
19:06
<johnny>
i'm stayin at a friend's house
19:06
i'm just paying for food and transport
19:06
otherwise i wouldn't have been able to afford it
19:06
<ogra>
especially the redneck family ... in whose backyard i look
19:06
<johnny>
i can barely afford to come as it is.. but at least i'm gonna meet good contacts
19:06
<ogra>
gives the whole thing an "qriginal" touch :)
19:11roberto__ has quit IRC
19:18
<devsforev>
Just to clairfy: for me to get an app run as a "Local Application", I need to install them in the chroot enviornment. Am I right?
19:20
<Gadi>
right
19:21
<devsforev>
alright, cool. One question thought. If I call mplayer for instance, how does the terminal know to load the one in the chroot instead of the other instance on the server?
19:22
<ogra>
it doesnt
19:22
<Gadi>
thats where all the stuff you saw about sshkeys came in
19:22
<ogra>
which is the problem we will attack during the next four days at the ltsp hackfest
19:23
<devsforev>
ahhhh..... it makes sense now
19:23
<Gadi>
that was a method to launch mplayer on the thin client from the server
19:23
you basically need:
19:23
1. A program to launch
19:23
2. A way to launch it
19:23Shawn_Powers has quit IRC
19:24
<Gadi>
3. If it is not run by root - an authentication mechanism and a home dir on the chroot
19:24
<ogra>
s/chroot/running client/
19:24
<Gadi>
right
19:24
sorry
19:24
(3) can be optional
19:24
depending on the situation
19:24
<ogra>
yeah
19:24
<johnny>
i doubt i'll be much help for that
19:24
except as a tester
19:25* vagrantc goes to get tossed around
19:25* vagrantc will reappear later
19:25vagrantc has quit IRC
19:25
<johnny>
let me know how i can help
19:25
<devsforev>
hmmm... the plot thickens
19:25
<ogra>
johnny, you care for your base to get running ....
19:25
and pick our brains
19:26
we care for the other stuff ;)
19:26
<johnny>
heading to freegeek to visit it before the hackfest
19:26
bye
19:27johnny has left #ltsp
19:34ccherret1 has joined #ltsp
19:35ccherrett has quit IRC
19:46shogunx has quit IRC
19:47
<dberkholz>
bah, he left just in time for me to miss him
19:48
<ogra>
he'll come to the beerforge
19:48
<dberkholz>
oh good
19:48
<ogra>
we should all wear nametags :)
19:49
<dberkholz>
i might keep wearing my oscon one. depends what others do, i suppose
19:50shogunx has joined #ltsp
19:51
<ogra>
i have a ton of ubuntu ones always with me .... but i keep my OSCON one on me
20:18mccann has joined #ltsp
20:19japerry has joined #ltsp
20:21japerry has quit IRC
20:34devsforev has quit IRC
20:54Gadi has left #ltsp
20:59J45p3r___ has quit IRC
21:47ogra has quit IRC
22:58slashdotfx has joined #ltsp
23:22slashdotfx has quit IRC
23:22slashdotfx has joined #ltsp
23:30johnny has joined #ltsp
23:36mccann has quit IRC
23:48slashdotfx has quit IRC
23:48slashdotfx has joined #ltsp
23:49ccherret1 is now known as ccherrett
23:55indradg is now known as indradg|afk