IRC chat logs for #ltsp on irc.freenode.net (webchat)


Channel log from 13 January 2008   (all times are UTC)

00:24
<Q-FUNK>
ogra: could we add ntpdate to our chroot depedencies for HH?
00:36Q-FUNK has quit IRC
01:47ogra has quit IRC
01:47ogra has joined #ltsp
02:01Q-FUNK has joined #ltsp
02:04Egyptian[Home] has quit IRC
02:06Egyptian[Home] has joined #ltsp
02:30Q-FUNK has quit IRC
02:32sepski has joined #ltsp
02:50Q-FUNK has joined #ltsp
03:18rayray053 has joined #ltsp
03:32Q-FUNK has quit IRC
04:34vagrantc has quit IRC
04:43Faithful has joined #ltsp
05:22Q-FUNK has joined #ltsp
05:34K_O-Gnom has joined #ltsp
05:45robbie has quit IRC
05:45robbie has joined #ltsp
07:01mistik1_ is now known as mistik1
07:15K_O-Gnom has quit IRC
07:20robbie has quit IRC
07:20robbie_ has joined #ltsp
07:36bobby_C has joined #ltsp
07:52tux_440volt has joined #ltsp
08:17tux_440volt has quit IRC
08:26robbie_ has quit IRC
08:26robbie__ has joined #ltsp
08:29gutera_ has joined #ltsp
08:56K_O-Gnom has joined #ltsp
09:31
<warren>
Does both Debian and Ubuntu use /var/lib/tftpboot?
09:34tux_440volt has joined #ltsp
09:36
<warren>
tux_440volt, hey
09:37
tux_440volt, we're working on LTSP5 integration now
09:37
<tux_440volt>
warren heya
09:37
<warren>
tux_440volt, do you have an Edubuntu install?
09:37
tux_440volt, I'm trying to compare stuff
09:38
<tux_440volt>
warren: no .. i just tried a ubuntu install
09:38
<warren>
tux_440volt, for example do they use /var/lib/tftpboot?
09:38
instead of /tftpboot
09:38
<tux_440volt>
warren: ok ...
09:42
warren: how far it has been done ? i was also reying to patch up certain things
09:42
s/reying/trying
09:44Q-FUNK has quit IRC
09:44
<warren>
tux_440volt, we're currently trying to write a spec file based upon current ltsp-trunk
09:44
tux_440volt, and integrating fedora stuff into ltsp-trunk
09:45
<tux_440volt>
warren: ok .. is the spec file availble somewhere ?
09:45
<warren>
tux_440volt, not very far yet
09:46
<tux_440volt>
ok
09:49
<warren>
tux_440volt, it would be helpful if you could write a list of changes needed into the wiki
09:49
tux_440volt, what is your name btw?
09:49
<tux_440volt>
ok .. sure i will
09:50
subhodip biswas
09:50
<warren>
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/K12Linux/Something
09:50
tux_440volt, create your own page there for raw notes, just list changes needed
09:50
<tux_440volt>
ok ..
09:54eharrison has joined #ltsp
09:54
<warren>
qemu-kvm -hda /dev/null -boot n -m 256 -net nic -net tap,/etc/qemu-ifup -full-screen
09:54
#!/bin/sh
09:54
export PATH=/sbin:/usr/sbin:$PATH
09:54
switch=virbr0
09:54
ifconfig $1 0.0.0.0 up
09:54
brctl addif ${switch} $1
10:08
<tux_440volt>
warren: ?
10:08
<warren>
tux_440volt, showing eharrison how to use libvirt to run a virtual machine as a thin client
10:09
tux_440volt, test LTSP without plugging into anything!
10:09
<jammcq>
g'morning warren
10:09
<warren>
tux_440volt, I'll document it on the wiki after we have the RPMS working
10:09
jammcq, hello
10:09
<tux_440volt>
warren: ok
10:09
<jammcq>
you guys having fun at Fudcon ?
10:09
<warren>
jammcq, something like that
10:11tibbs has joined #ltsp
10:11
<warren>
tibbs, ftp://ftp.lnxi.com/pub/mkelfImage
10:11
<tux_440volt>
warren: i will notify you as soon as i finish writing the changes
10:16
<eharrison>
hey jammcq
10:16
<jammcq>
hey eric
10:24
<warren>
tibbs, http://people.redhat.com/wtogami/temp/mkelfimage_2.7-4ubuntu1.diff.gz
10:40ryudo19 has joined #ltsp
10:43
<ryudo19>
johnny :D
10:43
i fix my probleman wich local devices dont work after reboot
10:51Drakeweb has joined #ltsp
10:51
<Drakeweb>
looking for some help with thin client sound problem. the sound is emitted from the server's speakers!
10:54mathesis has quit IRC
11:06
<ryudo19>
try read this tutorials
11:06
http://blog.paulbetts.org/index.php/2007/04/15/pulseaudio-in-ubuntu-feisty-play-sound-over-the-network/
11:07
http://developer.novell.com/wiki/index.php/Feisty/HOWTO:_PulseAudio
11:07
drakeweb
11:13
<Drakeweb>
thanks for the tutorial - it makes no reference to sound on thin clients, however - just networks.
11:14
ogra mentioned that pulse was correctly utilised on LTSP5 and that it should all work seamlessly, but not in my case
11:14tux_440volt has quit IRC
11:15ryudo19 has quit IRC
11:21
<tibbs>
warren: http://www.math.uh.edu/~tibbs/rpms/mkelfimage/
11:29vagrantc has joined #ltsp
11:45spectra has joined #ltsp
12:13Drakeweb has quit IRC
12:18mathesis has joined #ltsp
12:18
<mathesis>
hola vagrantc
12:19
<vagrantc>
hi
12:19
<mathesis>
i am install ltsp 5 at lab School Computer!!!
12:20
<PerfDave>
Well done mathesis :)
12:21
<mathesis>
i am en process now
12:21
i am working wthin installl now
12:21
s/wthin/with
12:22
s/installl/installation
12:23
PerfDave: where are you from?
12:23
<vagrantc>
mathesis: good to hear :)
12:24
<mathesis>
i now running "ltspbuild"
12:24
<PerfDave>
mathesis: I'm in the UK
12:27
<vagrantc>
mathesis: ltsp-build-client ?
12:34npman has quit IRC
12:35npman has joined #ltsp
12:37vagrantc has quit IRC
12:54
<mathesis>
i f i no have asound.conf in /etc/ i can create its archive?
12:54Q-FUNK has joined #ltsp
12:57
<warren>
ogra, you there?
12:57
ls client/initscripts/
12:57
ltsp-core ltsp-setup ltsp-setup.default
12:57
what is the difference between these files?
13:00npman_ has joined #ltsp
13:01
<npman_>
is there anybody out there with experience adding drivers to LTSP?
13:06
<warren>
eharrison, bzr pull bzr://bzr.fedorahosted.org/bzr/k12ltsp/ltsp-fedora
13:15
eharrison, http://fedorapeople.org/~wtogami/temp/mkdst-release/
13:18K_O-Gnom has quit IRC
13:20npman_ has quit IRC
13:22
<Q-FUNK>
warren: hi!
13:22
<warren>
Q-FUNK, hi, still traveling...
13:22
<Q-FUNK>
warren: are you back at the office now?
13:22
ah
13:22
<warren>
Q-FUNK, we're at FUDCon trying to integrate the LTSP bits now
13:22
<Q-FUNK>
oh! lovely!
13:23
do you have access to any Geode-based hardware? several patches were submitted over the last few days that need to be tested.
13:23
<warren>
no
13:23
I will be back at home Thursday night
13:23
sorry
13:26ryudo19 has joined #ltsp
13:38
<mathesis>
!ltspbot configute client ltsp 5
13:38
<ltspbot>
mathesis: Error: "ltspbot" is not a valid command.
13:38
<mathesis>
!ltspob clients
13:38
<ltspbot>
mathesis: Error: "ltspob" is not a valid command.
13:38
<mathesis>
!ltspbot configure thingsclient
13:38
<ltspbot>
mathesis: Error: "ltspbot" is not a valid command.
13:42edgarin has joined #ltsp
13:43
<mathesis>
!ltspbot boot with iso
13:43
<ltspbot>
mathesis: Error: "ltspbot" is not a valid command.
13:44
<mathesis>
!ltsbot boot cdrom
13:44
<ltspbot>
mathesis: Error: "ltsbot" is not a valid command.
13:44
<mathesis>
!ltspbot boot
13:44
<ltspbot>
mathesis: Error: "ltspbot" is not a valid command.
13:44
<mathesis>
!ltspboot help
13:44
<ltspbot>
mathesis: Error: "ltspboot" is not a valid command.
13:45
<mathesis>
ltspbot boot
13:45
<ltspbot>
mathesis: Error: "boot" is not a valid command.
13:45
<mathesis>
!ltspbot boot
13:45
<ltspbot>
mathesis: Error: "ltspbot" is not a valid command.
13:45
<jammcq>
mathesis: just put the '!' in front of the word you want
13:45
!boot
13:45
<ltspbot>
jammcq: Error: "boot" is not a valid command.
13:45
<jammcq>
heh
13:46
<mathesis>
!boot cd
13:46
<ltspbot>
mathesis: Error: "boot" is not a valid command.
13:46
<mathesis>
jammcq: how can i use ltspbot?
13:46
<jammcq>
don't use the word 'ltspbot'
13:46
!seen mathesis
13:46
<ltspbot>
jammcq: mathesis was last seen in #ltsp 14 seconds ago: <mathesis> jammcq: how can i use ltspbot?
13:46
<jammcq>
!help
13:46
<ltspbot>
jammcq: (help [<plugin>] [<command>]) -- This command gives a useful description of what <command> does. <plugin> is only necessary if the command is in more than one plugin.
13:47
<jammcq>
!grayscreen
13:47
<ltspbot>
jammcq: Error: "grayscreen" is not a valid command.
13:47
<jammcq>
!greyscreen
13:47
<ltspbot>
jammcq: "greyscreen" is No login, and only a grey screen? See http://wiki.ltsp.org/twiki/bin/view/Ltsp/Troubleshooting-GrayScreen
13:47
<mathesis>
!cdrom
13:47
<ltspbot>
mathesis: Error: "cdrom" is not a valid command.
13:47yemu has joined #ltsp
13:47
<mathesis>
!etherboot
13:47
<ltspbot>
mathesis: Error: "etherboot" is not a valid command.
13:47
<jammcq>
ltspbot doesn't know everything
13:47
<ltspbot>
jammcq: Error: "doesn't" is not a valid command.
13:48
<mathesis>
!help
13:48
<ltspbot>
mathesis: (help [<plugin>] [<command>]) -- This command gives a useful description of what <command> does. <plugin> is only necessary if the command is in more than one plugin.
13:48
<mathesis>
jammcq: how can boot clients with cdrom?
13:49
<jammcq>
umm, I think there's info on the wiki
13:49
http://wiki.ltsp.org
13:51
<edgarin>
jammcq: hi! :-D
13:55
<mathesis>
jammcq: check its line at inetd.conf
13:55
#<off># tftp dgram udp wait nobody /usr/sbin/tcpd /usr/sbin/in.tftpd /srv/tftp
13:56slipttees has joined #ltsp
13:56
<slipttees>
yo, everyone can help ?
13:56
i need universe rom .zdsk file
13:56
where i can find ?
13:57
<jammcq>
slipttees: good question for the #etherboot channel
13:57
<slipttees>
jammcq: big man :-) you're ok with you ?
13:57
thx!
13:59
<mathesis>
slipttees: i need universal boot in cdrom
13:59
<slipttees>
mathesis: send it for me :-)
13:59
carlosrenejr@gmail.com
13:59
;-)
13:59
ops
14:00
cdrom ?
14:00
<mathesis>
i don't have universal room!!!
14:00
<slipttees>
huh :-(
14:00
ok man
14:00
thx
14:00
<mathesis>
i am searching universal room in *.iso!!!
14:01
eureka eureka
14:01
xDD
14:02cerros has joined #ltsp
14:03
<slipttees>
mathesis: ?
14:03
<mathesis>
in the web wiki.ltsp.org
14:03
<slipttees>
;-)
14:03
<mathesis>
http://sourceforge.net/project/downloading.php?group_id=80408&use_mirror=superb-east&filename=network_boot_floppy%2Bcd%2Bhd_540.zip&65671053
14:03
ahi esta men :D
14:03
speak spanish?
14:04
<slipttees>
nope only english,portuquese and italian
14:04
;-)
14:05
mathesis: .room .zdsk for floppy ??
14:06
<mathesis>
floppy,hdd,cdrom
14:06
<slipttees>
humm
14:06
ok
14:06
<mathesis>
Universal network boot floppy/cd/hd Notes (2005-04-05 01:43)
14:07yemu has quit IRC
14:07
<mathesis>
network_boot_floppy+cd+hd_540.zip
14:08
<slipttees>
mathesis: fu**hell man thx so much :D
14:08
work fully :D
14:09
<mathesis>
you have ltsp 5?
14:09
<slipttees>
nope ltsp 4.2 and dapper drake
14:10
mathesis: this dd of=xccc if=/dev/fd0 or this cat fd...... > /dev/fd0
14:10
<mathesis>
readme
14:10
you need readme txt
14:11
<slipttees>
ok
14:11
mathesis: you file is 24K ?
14:11
ops 21 K ?
14:11
corruped! :-(
14:12
<mathesis>
you need boot floppy?
14:12
download BootDisk522b.zip
14:13
<slipttees>
yes ok
14:26vagrantc has joined #ltsp
14:29edgarin has quit IRC
14:39robbie__ has quit IRC
14:40tibbs has quit IRC
14:41slipttees has left #ltsp
14:49vagrantc has quit IRC
14:51cliebow has joined #ltsp
14:56
<cliebow>
anyone?? have i been rooted at Surry?? after just two days??
14:56
cat: /root/install.log: Input/output error
14:57
reboot:input/output error
14:59
on a stock ubuntu install..
15:03mathesis has left #ltsp
15:09eharrison has left #ltsp
15:10
<cliebow>
hi Eric!!!!!!!!!!
15:10
Balls!
15:24bobby_C has quit IRC
15:37mathesis has joined #ltsp
15:42
<mathesis>
!lts.conf
15:42
<ltspbot>
mathesis: "lts.conf" is http://wiki.ltsp.org/twiki/bin/view/Ltsp/LtsConf
15:43
<Q-FUNK>
ouch
15:44
<mathesis>
dhcpd.conf
15:44
!dhcpd.conf
15:44
<ltspbot>
mathesis: Error: "dhcpd.conf" is not a valid command.
15:45
<mathesis>
!dhcp3-server
15:45
<ltspbot>
mathesis: Error: "dhcp3-server" is not a valid command.
15:45
<mathesis>
!dhcp
15:45
<ltspbot>
mathesis: Error: "dhcp" is not a valid command.
16:00mathesis has left #ltsp
16:12cliebow_ has joined #ltsp
16:24Egyptian[Home] has quit IRC
16:29cliebow has quit IRC
16:38sepski has quit IRC
17:10cliebow__ has joined #ltsp
17:20J45p3r has joined #ltsp
17:27cliebow_ has quit IRC
18:09vagrantc has joined #ltsp
18:09oblek has joined #ltsp
18:10
<oblek>
hi, what files should I modify to add "noexec" mount option on remote usb stick/flashdisk?
18:11
I try to limit user executables they bring on their USB stick
18:23* warren back
18:31cliebow_ has joined #ltsp
18:36cliebow has joined #ltsp
18:45Q-FUNK has quit IRC
18:46mathesis has joined #ltsp
18:53cliebow_ has quit IRC
18:55cliebow__ has quit IRC
19:07cliebow_ has joined #ltsp
19:08ryudo19 has quit IRC
19:24cliebow has quit IRC
19:25Q-FUNK has joined #ltsp
19:33spectra has quit IRC
19:59eharrison has joined #ltsp
20:06* vagrantc waves to eharrison
20:07* eharrison waves back
20:47J45p3r has left #ltsp
20:56
<vagrantc>
mathesis:
20:56
!bootfloppy
20:56
<ltspbot>
vagrantc: "bootfloppy" is http://etherboot.anadex.de or ftp://k12linux.mesd.k12.or.us/pub/K12LTSP/Universal_boot_floppy
20:57
<vagrantc>
or: http://llama.freegeek.org/~vagrant/ebmulti.iso
21:33cerros has quit IRC
21:41makghosh has joined #ltsp
22:07Q-FUNK has quit IRC
22:07elisboa_ has quit IRC
22:14tux_440volt has joined #ltsp
22:19mathesis has quit IRC
22:20open_lad has joined #ltsp
22:21
<oblek>
on my second try, I add '-o noexec' on /usr/sbin/ltspfsmounter on line 13
22:21
<vagrantc>
warren: finally, someone else committing on these branches :)
22:21
<oblek>
but it doesn't work
22:21
<warren>
vagrantc, I just posted some questions to ltsp-developer
22:22
vagrantc, for example, can we eliminate use of the tempfile command?
22:22
vagrantc, mktemp is just as capable these days
22:22
<vagrantc>
warren: where's tempfile used?
22:23
<warren>
vagrantc, just grep ltsp-trunk, 4 uses left
22:23
vagrantc, eharrison fixed the two server cases
22:24
vagrantc, I hope the example spec isn't upsetting in each repo. That enables me to cd into a bzr repo and do "./mkdst --testrpm" and instantly pops out test RPMS.
22:25
<vagrantc>
warren: in general, it's discouraged to include distro-specific packaging in the source tarball in the debian community
22:25
<warren>
vagrantc, then you shouldn't be shipping pidgin and many GNOME packages, they do ship example spec files there.
22:26
<vagrantc>
warren: discouraged != release-critical
22:26
<dberkholz>
there's a difference between maintaining those files in a repo vs distributing them in releases, too
22:26
<warren>
vagrantc, eric just pointed out that mkdst can simply remove the spec file before tarball creation
22:27
<vagrantc>
warren: that would be nice.
22:27
<warren>
might already do that
22:27* warren looks
22:27
<vagrantc>
then everybody's happy
22:27
well, at least, i'm fine with that
22:27
<warren>
vagrantc, oh no, can't do that.
22:28
<vagrantc>
would it interfere with another distro that used .spec files ?
22:28
<warren>
vagrantc, seriously, is this really a big compromise to get the other major distro onboard? this really makes it WAY easier for me to develop and test rapidly.
22:28
<johnny>
i either want a spec and a deb.. or neither
22:28
err debian/
22:29
<warren>
vagrantc, not really, nothing forces anybody to use that spec file
22:29
<vagrantc>
warren: i'm not strongly opinionated on it, i am just voicing that others will be unhappy about it
22:29
<johnny>
it's not fair to have just the spec
22:29
<warren>
johnny, talk is cheap
22:29
<johnny>
i haven't used an rpm based distro in 5 years
22:29
<vagrantc>
we don't *want* it in there for debian
22:30
<warren>
vagrantc, it doesn't get installed onto a system
22:30
<vagrantc>
no, i mean we don't *want* the debian dir in the source tarball
22:30
<warren>
that was your choice
22:30
<vagrantc>
i was more referring to johnny's comments
22:30
<warren>
I *do* want this example spec in there
22:30
this example spec makes it WAY easier for us to rapidly develop it
22:31
I'd be happy to work with other RPM distros to keep the example spec more distro neutral
22:31
<vagrantc>
warren: you don't have to convince *me*. i'm not strongly opinionated on the matter.
22:31
<warren>
oh, ok.
22:31
<vagrantc>
warren: ogra may have some objection, and i think otavio does as well.
22:32
in general, there are reasons it's discouraged that i've heard and agree with, but cannot really argue saliently.
22:32
<warren>
Many other upstream tarballs containa spec file
22:32
<vagrantc>
nor do i really want to put much energy into it
22:32
<warren>
does that bother debian's packaging?
22:32
I'm almost to a point that it is either in there or we wont participate.
22:33
It would really slow us down to not have it.
22:33
<vagrantc>
like i said, no need to convince me.
22:33
<warren>
ok, the no need to argue. =)
22:33
vagrantc, so many other parts of ltsp-trunk, I have some deep concerns...
22:33* vagrantc thinks it's *ridiculous* to threaten non-participation
22:34
<warren>
vagrantc, ogra threatened similarly with other things
22:34
<vagrantc>
at least over that
22:34* vagrantc would rather not be in a threat culture
22:34
<warren>
OK, it wasn't necessary of me to mention that.
22:34
<johnny>
vagrantc, i know the debian developers who work with monotone really like having debian/ in the src :)
22:34
<vagrantc>
i'm far more interested in cooperation and collaboration
22:34
<warren>
OK, next topic then.
22:35* vagrantc checks for the emails to ltsp-developer
22:35
<warren>
vagrantc, some of the other scripts in ltsp-trunk we're not entirely sure we will be able to use at all.
22:35
vagrantc, configure-x.sh for example...
22:35* vagrantc notes that ogra has said some things vagrantc thinks are ridiculous in the past, too
22:36
<warren>
vagrantc, some of the common/ plugins might not be common at all.
22:36
<vagrantc>
warren: configure-x.sh mostly relies on X.org's self-configuration, which made great leaps and bounds in 7.2+
22:36
<warren>
vagrantc, or at least I don't understand why they are doing what they do.
22:36
<vagrantc>
warren: could you be more specific?
22:37
warren: i.e. which ones?
22:37
<warren>
why 010-mount-proc?
22:37
<johnny>
hey warren question
22:37
<warren>
?
22:37
<johnny>
do you have a ~/.redhat ?
22:38
and if so, do you know what it contains?
22:38
or if not even
22:38
<warren>
johnny, no. And never heard of it.
22:38
johnny, why?
22:38
<johnny>
well i don't really contribute to ltsp directly, but i am working on the sabayon user profile tool, and this guy dan walsh submitted a patch to ignore it
22:38
<vagrantc>
warren: the proc mounting was needed at some point during the install, and some software expects it to be there. i wouldn't object to moving that into the Debian dir if it was really an issue
22:38
<johnny>
and i'm auditing it
22:38
the ignored files/diretories
22:39
<warren>
johnny, it might be a RHEL thing, I don't have RHEL here.
22:39
<johnny>
aha
22:39
ok..
22:39
there's also a patch for selinux as well
22:39
bt it seems to have a bug for non SELinux distros
22:39
<warren>
vagrantc, after-install)
22:39
chroot_mount proc /proc "-t proc"
22:39
<johnny>
looking into that
22:39
<warren>
vagrantc, after-install means what?
22:40
vagrantc, I might need a little more explanation as to how this plugin system works
22:40
vagrantc, how does it decide to use Debian vs Ubuntu directories for example?
22:40
<vagrantc>
warren: ah, ok ... actua;lly, it wasn't used during the install
22:40
warren: server/doc/plugins ?
22:40
<johnny>
asking them.. thanks warren
22:41
<warren>
vagrantc, /proc mounted after install of the chroot, isn't there risk of nfs clients seeing the contents of server's proc?
22:41
vagrantc, plus inconsistent behavior because it would no longer be mounted after a reboot
22:41
johnny, I have little to do with that part, you need to ask the people involved.
22:41
<vagrantc>
warren: nfs usually doesn't export additional filesystem
22:41
<warren>
johnny, we have hundreds of engineers plus a few hundred more volunteers. I can't possibly know all of this. =)
22:42
vagrantc, how does it distinguish "additional"?
22:42
<vagrantc>
warren: it doesn't traverse mountpoints
22:42
<warren>
vagrantc, oh, I see.
22:42
<vagrantc>
warren: at least, i've never seen it in the default configuration in debian or ubuntu
22:43
warren: and since it's only done during install time, clients wouldn't work anyways.
22:43
so that should be a non-issue
22:43* vagrantc waves to dberkholz
22:43
<warren>
vagrantc, ok, then this other behavior that I saw must have been a bug
22:44
(selinux denied something, we thought it was due to server's /proc exported over network, but it actually must be something else.)
22:44
<vagrantc>
warren: unless fedora's defaults are different
22:44
and it does cross mountpoints
22:44
<warren>
I think you're right about that.
22:44
It isn't supposed to.
22:45
<vagrantc>
warren: any other questions?
22:45
<warren>
vagrantc, ok, I need to look more closely at the code again
22:45
vagrantc, yes
22:45
vagrantc, your run_parts hack, that works fine on Debian/Ubuntu as well right?
22:45
vagrantc, might as well make that upstream?
22:46
vagrantc, ugly yes, but works more universally.
22:47
<vagrantc>
warren: well, i'd make an improved hack, but sure.
22:47
<warren>
vagrantc, ok
22:47open_la1 has joined #ltsp
22:48
<warren>
vagrantc, ok... so if a file in plugins/Distroname duplicates a filename in plugins/common/ then it overrides the common/ version?
22:48
<vagrantc>
warren: run-parts sanitizes the directories, so only certain things are treated as valid
22:48
warren: correct ...
22:48open_la1 has quit IRC
22:48open_la1 has joined #ltsp
22:48
<warren>
vagrantc, should I create a Fedora directory at that level?
22:49
<vagrantc>
warren: yes.
22:49
<warren>
k
22:49
<vagrantc>
warren: well, it should be consistant with lsb_release output
22:49
<warren>
vagrantc, what part makes it use the Fedora directory?
22:50
<vagrantc>
warren: code at the top of ltsp-build-client ... PLUGIN_DIRS
22:50
<warren>
oh, ok
22:50
vagrantc, on Debian do you install the plugins/Ubuntu directory?
22:50
vagrantc, (I'm thinking how we will handle Fedora vs. RHEL)
22:52
<vagrantc>
warren: yes, currently both Debian and Ubuntu install each other's plugins ... and there's some symlinking action going on, i'm sure you've noticed
22:53
<warren>
vagrantc, would you be against moving to choosing the lsb_release -i directory name at *install* time not runtime?
22:53
<vagrantc>
warren: i had at one point suggested a DISTRO-common directory between common and DISTRO ... but ogra rejected saying it was already complicated enough
22:54
<warren>
vagrantc, this will be a problem for us in the future because lsb_release -i will return different strings with our redistributors
22:54
<vagrantc>
warren: if it could be done elegantly.
22:54
<warren>
vagrantc, RHEL, CentOS, Oracle, etc.
22:54
<vagrantc>
warren: well, that's why i proposed a DISTRO-base dir ...
22:55
at one point i worked on code that handled the symlinks and such
22:55
<warren>
vagrantc, I'd like for our binary RPM payload to contain only our desired plugins, and not depend upon lsb_release -i at runtime.
22:55
(Not trying to be difficult here, I'm just foreseeing this as a future problem.)
22:57
vagrantc, hmm... I'm also seeing this a problem because the plugins would be different from RHEL5 and RHEL6 which I intend on supporting in parallel.
22:58
vagrantc, all of these problems evaporate if the plugins are set at package build time, not chosen at runtime.
22:58* vagrantc is on the phone
22:59
<warren>
vagrantc, and I will have many common plugins between Fedora and RHEL5/RHEL6, but they will be different
23:02
vagrantc, talking this over with Eric, we believe due to these future plugin concerns we will hold off on using upstream's ltsp-build-client for now. We already have an entirely separate ltsp-build-client script that works for us. We will use that in the interim in order to get something that WORKS a lot sooner, then work on the more complicated but necessary upstream thereafter.
23:03
vagrantc, OTOH... maybe we can just put our script into a plugin
23:03
vagrantc, midnight, very exhausted, we're sleeping on this for now.
23:03
good night
23:05eharrison has left #ltsp
23:06open_la1 has quit IRC
23:06open_la1 has joined #ltsp
23:08
<dberkholz>
hi there vagrantc
23:14open_lad has quit IRC
23:27tux_440volt has quit IRC
23:28
<vagrantc>
warren: well, the current Debian plugin infrastructure can actually support multiple releases of debian ... i can build a sid/unstable, lenny/testing or etch/stable ltsp using the same ltsp-build-client plugins
23:28
warren: you could also implement another layer of plugins
23:28
warren: that would seem the simplest thing to do
23:30
so currently we have PLUGIN_DIRS="/etc/ltsp/plugins/$SCRIPT $PLUGINS_BASE/$SCRIPT/$VENDOR-custom $PLUGINS_BASE/$SCRIPT/$VENDOR $PLUGINS_BASE/$SCRIPT/common"
23:30
could do something like:
23:31
PLUGIN_DIRS="/etc/ltsp/plugins/$SCRIPT $PLUGINS_BASE/$SCRIPT/$VENDOR-$SUBVENDOR $PLUGINS_BASE/$SCRIPT/$VENDOR-custom $PLUGINS_BASE/$SCRIPT/$VENDOR $PLUGINS_BASE/$SCRIPT/common"
23:31
or something like that
23:40Egyptian[Home] has joined #ltsp
23:49tux_440volt has joined #ltsp
23:58
<vagrantc>
hrm.
23:58
"mount --move" isn't handled properly on etch, making all the cool new ltspfs stuff hard to backport :(
23:59
well, making the less buggy ltspfs hard to backport