IRC chat logs for #ltsp on irc.freenode.net (webchat)


Channel log from 21 April 2008   (all times are UTC)

00:07subir has joined #ltsp
00:08mccann has quit IRC
00:33asac_ has joined #ltsp
00:45asac has quit IRC
00:45asac_ is now known as asac
01:06deavid has joined #ltsp
01:10cyberorg has quit IRC
01:18soneyka has quit IRC
01:19soneyka has joined #ltsp
01:21makghosh has quit IRC
02:03alekibango has quit IRC
02:05Pascal_1 has joined #ltsp
02:19CrypTom has joined #ltsp
02:20
<CrypTom>
Hi, I'm running Ubuntu Hardy and executed ltsp-build-client, then I get the following error:
02:20
E: Couldn't find package xubuntu-artwork-usplash
02:20
error: LTSP client installation ended abnormally
02:20
what should I do now?
02:46mikkel has joined #ltsp
02:48exodos has joined #ltsp
02:52FLOLO has joined #ltsp
02:52
<FLOLO>
hello
03:04ogra has quit IRC
03:05ogra has joined #ltsp
03:16alekibango has joined #ltsp
03:49soneyka has quit IRC
03:49soneyko has joined #ltsp
03:52
<laga>
CrypTom: file a bug report in launchpad
03:54indradg_ has quit IRC
03:54viking-ice has joined #ltsp
03:58Egyptian[Home1 has joined #ltsp
04:01indradg has joined #ltsp
04:05cyberorg has joined #ltsp
04:07
<CrypTom>
laga: ok
04:16primary has joined #ltsp
04:16Egyptian[Home] has quit IRC
04:18
<primary>
hiya how i make sure our terminals recognise usb devices, it would be great if it popup on their desktops
04:18
we use edubuntu 7.10
04:22
<laga>
it should work out of the box
04:24
<primary>
i know but it does not
04:26
so any tips
04:26
<laga>
primary: wait for ogra, he knows everything
04:27Q-FUNK has joined #ltsp
04:28
<primary>
hi qfunk I still have the issue wrt resolution on amd terminals
04:28
is the new driver available yet
04:37primary has left #ltsp
04:50sep has joined #ltsp
05:08spectra has joined #ltsp
05:09
<Q-FUNK>
ogra: it appears that LTSP scripts don't know about -geode. they only find -amd. can this be fixed?
05:13
ogra: X itself doesn't seem to know about either one. launching X on a standalone host without xorg.conf reverts to -vesa.
05:37basanta has joined #ltsp
05:51
<jonkke>
is there any way to publish some file to all users desktops? like in windows "all users/desktop" folder
05:52
i know i can make sript that copies it to everyones desktop, but that doesn't feel right choice.
05:58
<vlt>
jonkke: I do it this way: A script creates a *symlink* to the file on every user's desktop and in /etc/skel/Desktop/ (for new users).
06:00
<jonkke>
i thought something like that too. i just think that it's weird that linux don't have this kind functionality.
06:08slipttees has joined #ltsp
06:09
<vlt>
jonkke: Yes, I thought that too several times. Now I think this is no linux issue but rather DE related.
06:12
<jonkke>
DE related?
06:16
<vlt>
jonkke: sorry, Desktop Environment.
06:32basanta has quit IRC
06:50subir has quit IRC
06:57
<CrypTom>
laga: under which project in launchpad?
07:03Nubae has joined #ltsp
07:03deavid has quit IRC
07:03
<ogra>
Q-FUNK, ltsp just uses what X -configure generates, our scripts are dumb sed replacers ....
07:04
<Nubae>
I figured out what the busybox signal with can't create /rofs means.... It's cause I had my adsl router plugged straight into the hub... Even if dhcp is turned off on it, still interferes
07:04
amazing
07:06
so the RC setup as per ltspquickinstall works fine
07:07
<ogra>
great
07:07
<Q-FUNK>
ogra: odd. X fails to recognize -amd on a standalone workstation, but it works in LTSP. -geode works on neither one.
07:09
<ogra>
Q-FUNK, a standalone workstation uses dexconf
07:09
<Q-FUNK>
great, so instead of letting X do its job, we have this done 2 different wyas?
07:10
<ogra>
we dropped using dpkg-recofigure with dexconf because it pulls the whole debconf db over the net which slows booting down majorly
07:10
<Q-FUNK>
ok
07:10
so what you're saying is that dexconf doesn't know about -amd or -geode?
07:10
<ogra>
either dexconf or something hardcoded in the dexconf script that gets called
07:11
*either debconf
07:11
<Q-FUNK>
ok
07:11
<ogra>
i would suspect the latter
07:11
dexconf is an evil beast
07:12slipttees has quit IRC
07:15
<Q-FUNK>
(15:11:53) Q-FUNK: guys, could it be that dexconf doesn't know about -amd or -geode? launching without xorg.conf systematically reverts to -vesa.
07:15
(15:12:17) tjaalton: dexconf doesn't need to know
07:15
(15:12:26) tjaalton: it's the server
07:15
(15:12:54) Q-FUNK: server misses magic to pick -amd?
07:15
(15:12:59) tjaalton: yep
07:15
<ogra>
why would it work with X -cofigure then ?
07:16
test it yourself :)
07:16
<Q-FUNK>
beats me
07:16
Hardy's X doesn't have the amd vendor magic to associate the chip with the driver.
07:17
<ogra>
Xorg -configure -novtswitch :1
07:17
that wil create an xorg.conf..new in ./
07:19
<Q-FUNK>
can you come to #ubuntu-x ?
07:20
we're trying to eliminate all the possibilites, with tjaalton
07:22slipttees has joined #ltsp
07:24
<daduke>
ogra: howdy! our users a really creative. Not only did they find the X auth bug, now one of them told me that you can stream on other ppl's thin clients. And indeed, if you enter a thin client's IP address in xmms' eSound plugin config you can redirect sound to that machine. bug or feature?
07:29daya has quit IRC
07:37Mikaku has joined #ltsp
07:37shawnp0wers has joined #ltsp
07:43deavid has joined #ltsp
07:43slidesinger has joined #ltsp
07:44nantes_geek has joined #ltsp
07:44
<nantes_geek>
hi !
07:45
Q-FUNK: hi, [french] je suis revenu en ltsp 4.2 [/french]
07:45
<Q-FUNK>
ok
07:45
ltsp 5 marche tjrs pas?
07:45
<nantes_geek>
pas avec la mandriva
07:45
j'ai un affichage X
07:46
<ogra>
daduke, neither ... its a fallout of using pulse as a plain esd drop in replacement you can restrict access to the server IP that would give you some restriction but not really solve the prob
07:46
<nantes_geek>
mais un ctrl+alt+backspace fige
07:50Nubae has quit IRC
07:52
<daduke>
ogra: we do not exactly consider it a 'problem', but the paranoid might flinch nonetheless. Far less severe than the X thing of course.
07:53
<ogra>
with pulse as the backend its safer than esd ... but still uses the same setup
07:53
its a half hearted compromise that i'd like to solve at some point
07:54* ogra is just writing an intrepid (8.10) spec for ltsp sound fixes that also includes proper capture support
07:55
<ogra>
the prob is rwally that pulse itself doesnt offer sufficient ways to lock down access here
07:55
we need to put something on top (like we do with teh mcookie for ltspfs)
07:57cliebow has joined #ltsp
07:57
<daduke>
ogra: I see.
07:59
<cliebow>
ogra:standalone 5.0.39 would not have most recent alternate dhcp params available?
08:00
<ogra>
cliebow, nope, i dont think so
08:01
<cliebow>
ok...ill go pxe
08:02
<ogra>
cliebow, https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+bug/198356
08:02cyberorg has quit IRC
08:02
<ogra>
just merge that into your intramfs script in teh chroot and call ltsp-update-kernels
08:03
oh, and upate-initramfs -u chrooted before that ...
08:03
<cliebow>
k..prob won't get to that anyway today..ill need some hand holding and am sure you are flat out
08:03* cliebow cliebow copies/pastes
08:05
<cliebow>
cant seem to get out when eth0 is enabled..be back and forth...
08:10
<Q-FUNK>
nantes_geek: je dois filer. on se reparle en soiree? tu seras ici?
08:11
<nantes_geek>
Q-FUNK: pas sûr
08:11
Q-FUNK: sinon à demain ;)
08:13cyberorg has joined #ltsp
08:14
<Q-FUNK>
ok
08:14
a+ :)
08:14Q-FUNK has quit IRC
08:19J45p3r has joined #ltsp
08:19
<cliebow>
asx
08:25
<Mikaku>
is there a way to obtain the config-2.6.20.9-ltsp-1 file? its corresponding LTSP kernel is downloadable and it works finely but the config file never has been made publicly available. :/
08:26CrypTom has quit IRC
08:27
<cliebow>
Mikaku, i believe it was includied in a 4.2 initrd-kit
08:29
<Mikaku>
cliebow: 4.2 initrd-kit? where is that file?
08:30
<cliebow>
lemme look in wiki.ltsp.org
08:31
<Mikaku>
ok
08:31vagrantc has joined #ltsp
08:32
<daduke>
vagrantc: hi!
08:32* vagrantc waves
08:33
<cliebow>
Mikaku, i cant come up with anything atm..if jammcq pops in he would know for sure..
08:33
<Mikaku>
cliebow: thanks anyway
08:34
<cliebow>
k..somewhere i have a hard copy..
08:36
Mikaku, Within the lbe/ltsp_kernel_kit directory is a .config file for a 2.6.16.1 kernel. Download the sources for that kernel from ftp.kernel.org.
08:37
<Mikaku>
cliebow: yeah i know this, but the most recent config on there is 2.6.17.9 and it's a lot different of the 2.6.20.9
08:37
that's whay i requested for the 2.6.20.9
08:38
i dont know why it exists the 2.6.20.9 kernel but not its config file
08:38
maybe someone removed accidentally
08:38
<cliebow>
umm..that is ltsp5?
08:38
<Mikaku>
nop ... ltsp42 ;P
08:39
<cliebow>
ill ask jammcq when i "see" him
08:40* cliebow cliebow is strill using 2.6.16.1
08:40
<Mikaku>
cliebow: yeah, maybe he still has this config file in his devel box and he forgot to upload it
08:41
cliebow: I'm using 2.6.20.9 and it works finely
08:41
<cliebow>
;-]
08:43
<nantes_geek>
anyone knows what module i should use with a geode LX for sound ?
08:44
because i use cs5535audio and so i have a /dev/dsp but i hear nothing ...
08:51DonSilver has joined #ltsp
08:58
<Mikaku>
brb
09:06TelnetManta has joined #ltsp
09:06
<cliebow>
ogra:serial mouse need an lts.conf entry
09:06
?
09:07
<ogra>
yes
09:07
<cliebow>
k
09:07
<ogra>
serial is undetectable without user interaction ....
09:08
(that would force a "wiggle your mouse" question on every boot ...
09:08
)
09:08
<cliebow>
heh..i know i can at least do that ;-]
09:12mikkel has quit IRC
09:13
<cliebow>
hmmm...password incorrect?
09:22
<warren>
ogra: do you know specifically what kind of "acceleration" in newer adobe flash plugins is causing the network slowdown?
09:23
opengl?
09:23
threading?
09:23
<ogra>
no iea what that gui option swiches, no
09:23
gimme the source and i'll tel you :P
09:23
<warren>
there is a gui option?
09:24
<ogra>
its only a gui option afaik
09:24
right click n a flash movie
09:24
its in the settings frm the context menu
09:24
<warren>
oh "Enable hardware acceleration"
09:24
do you know what version introduced this slow down?
09:25
<ogra>
but there seems to be no commandline or config file option for it
09:25
i just recently headr that fixes the slowdown, i have users moaning since gutsy
09:25
might be a general vers. 9.x thing
09:26
<warren>
that checkbox *does* make it faster over the network?
09:26
ogra: does the latest Ubuntu use pulse by default?
09:26
<ogra>
according to some users that have talked to me, yes
09:27
warren, we're still fiddling ...
09:27
<warren>
that means you might turn it off?
09:27
<ogra>
looks like we have a setup that forces dmix upon flash while using pulse for all the rest
09:27
<warren>
wow
09:27
<ogra>
not sure that wil make it in during the next two days though
09:27
<warren>
but otherwise pusleaudio is default?
09:27
<ogra>
yes
09:28
<warren>
pulseaudio by default and ALSA is routed to pulse?
09:28
I'm trying to ask Adobe to release their ALSA sound output from their plugin into a tiny test app under a BSD license
09:28
so people can diagnose why it doesn't work with pulse ALSA
09:28
<ogra>
no, pulse by default and everything not using gstreamer or pulse goes to dmix as i understood that
09:28
<warren>
they did release it before, but it is old now.
09:29
oh.
09:29
<ogra>
but i'm really not sure that wil make it in
09:30
its a proposed fix for the issue by an alsa upstream guy
09:30
<cliebow>
Connection ":1.15" is not allowed to own the service "org.freedesktop.NetworkManagerInfo" due to security policies in the configuration file'
09:30
?
09:31
<warren>
the proposed fix forces dmix?
09:31
<ogra>
cliebow, translation: "NM isnt allowed to run on thin clients"
09:32
warren, https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/pulseaudio/+bug/192888
09:32
read yourself :)
09:32
<cliebow>
ohhhh..didnt know i was trying to use it 8~)
09:35J45p3r has left #ltsp
09:38abadger1999 has left #ltsp
09:39mccann has joined #ltsp
09:41
<warren>
ogra: vagrantc: any other changes you think need to be done to mkdst? doing a bug fix release today.
09:46
<vagrantc>
warren: there's a few features i'd like to work on *someday* but it's not high on my priority list...
09:46
<warren>
ok
09:46
i'll tag it later today
09:46
<vagrantc>
warren: so just run with it
09:52
<warren>
ogra: vagrantc: how well audited is lbmount?
09:53
eharrison noticed this past weekend that we weren't setuiding it
09:53
our security guys will freak out adding a setuid binary now
09:53captain_magnus has quit IRC
09:54
<vagrantc>
warren: i can't speak to how well audited it is
09:54
warren: i believe it's been audited by ubuntu's security team, but i don't know for sure.
09:54
<ogra>
it has
09:55captain_magnus has joined #ltsp
09:55
<ogra>
main inclusion in ubuntu means that i have to list s/guid binaries and that the package gets a full security team review
09:57
(as well as packaging, fhs etc reviews)
10:02
<vagrantc>
warren: and no offense to eharrison, but i think i actually figured out that y'all needed it setuid root :)
10:02
<warren>
vagrantc: oh ok.
10:02
vagrantc: thanks =)
10:03
<vagrantc>
did a little troubleshooting with eharrison to figure that out...
10:03
and i could've sworn it was dejavu
10:04
i think we might have figured it out in the hackfest in portland a while back
10:04
<warren>
vagrantc: so with the current ltspfs-trunk I need to plug my USB stick in before I login?
10:04
<vagrantc>
warren: shouldn't have to
10:05
warren: it should kick in at both insertion time and login.
10:05
<warren>
what would your udev changes enable then?
10:05
<ogra>
auth
10:06
<vagrantc>
warren: cleanliness of code ... not starting ltspfsd and cdpinger from ltsp init scripts, but rather when the devices are present that actually need those features.
10:06
<ogra>
oh, you are talking about different patches
10:06
<vagrantc>
yes, those still haven't been applied
10:06
<ogra>
i'm all for it
10:07
let daemons die :)
10:08
<vagrantc>
i've gotten the code working, but i'm not confident it's good code.
10:08
<ogra>
YAY !
10:08
ltspfs accepted (even without discussion, apart from the question why there is dpatch :) )
10:08
<cliebow>
:-0
10:09
<ogra>
and my fixes to the --kiosk plugin got in as well
10:09* ogra dances
10:09
<cliebow>
Nice!!!
10:09* cliebow cliebow slaps slapd..
10:10
<warren>
brb
10:10
<cliebow>
my authentication on this sandbox is afu
10:10
<vagrantc>
ogra: i just committed your patch, tagged it, and uploaded to debian :)
10:10
<ogra>
yay
10:11
<vagrantc>
so we should be pretty well synced
10:11* cliebow cliebow reboots..
10:11cliebow has quit IRC
10:20
<warren>
vagrantc: ogra: ehrarison mentioned that ltspfs automounting works in fedora now, but no icon appears on the desktop
10:20
do you have any idea how that is supposed to work?
10:22bricode has joined #ltsp
10:22
<ogra>
warren, that will only work with gnome out of the box
10:22
<warren>
using GNOME here
10:22
<ogra>
gvfs ?
10:22
<warren>
yeah
10:22
hm
10:22
mounts appear to not be working
10:25
<vagrantc>
warren: hmmm... all i know is it "just works" on debian and ubuntu.
10:25
ogra's probably more familiar with the nitty-gritty details.
10:26FLOLO has quit IRC
10:27Pascal_1 has quit IRC
10:28
<warren>
ah, I didn't install xorg-x11-utils
10:28* warren is sure glad somebody named all of our X packages "xorg-x11"
10:28
<warren>
so we're ready for X12 any day now.
10:28staffencasa has joined #ltsp
10:28
<vagrantc>
heh
10:29
<ogra>
warren, well, gvfs and gnomevfs both have an inotify monitor for /media and ususally show changes in that dir on the desktop if the user has read access
10:29
<vagrantc>
i really was pushing for iceweasel-webbrowser when there was a renaming discussion.
10:30
<warren>
oh, I wonder if it doesn't show changes there because we aren't authed with CK
10:30
<vagrantc>
this CK thing sounds like a pain. i mean, i guess it's supposed to fix lots of things... but ugh.
10:37
<ogra>
its immature
10:38
<warren>
and you incorporated a patch to sshd for an immature technology that upstream sshd had huge technical and license complaints?
10:38
=)
10:39
<ogra>
a technology that we use all over the desktop (you too)
10:40
<warren>
ooh
10:40
it mounted and popped up on my desktop
10:40
although it didn't work during login, had to do it after login
10:41
vagrantc: ogra: does the microphone work for your pulseaudio on clients as well?
10:41
<ogra>
thats a delayed-mounter prob then
10:41
warren, nope
10:42
the config doesnt have any capture setup
10:42
so if it works, then only by accident
10:42
i have one usb headset where it works
10:42
matter of luck :)
10:42
<warren>
sweet, auto-mount and network sound both work
10:42
<ogra>
the sund setup needs a major overhaul, but forst pulse needs a proper auth mechanism we can use for that
10:43
ip based auth is totally moot if all your users come from the same ip
10:43
<warren>
heh
10:43
<ogra>
it needs to use LTSPFS_TOKEN :)
10:43
which we then need to rename :)
10:45
<vagrantc>
warren: haven't tried the mic much, if at all
10:47
ogra: the cd-naming-regression had nothing to do with starting from udev :)
10:47
mainly because cdpinger isn't yet started from udev ...
10:47
<ogra>
where does cdpinger get called from atm ?
10:48
<vagrantc>
one of the ltsp-client init scripts
10:48
<ogra>
cdpinger takes the first argument as device name
10:48
hmm
10:48
right
10:48
<vagrantc>
ogra: not saying your patch is invalid, just the changelog entry describing it is a bit off
10:49
<ogra>
yeah
10:50
well, my patch is a workaround
10:50
the right fix should use numbering for the cdrom device
10:50
currently that only supports one builtin CD
10:51
(actually i dont think the code for suporting more worked at all anyway)
10:51* vagrantc prepares to disappear for a couple days again
10:55pscheie_ is now known as pscheie
10:55vagrantc has quit IRC
10:56slipttees has quit IRC
11:12makghosh has joined #ltsp
11:15Q-FUNK has joined #ltsp
11:21
<warren>
oh man the TK-3550 really stinks
11:21
<Q-FUNK>
heh
11:21
warren: any sign from UPS?
11:21
<ogra>
warren, you postpone the release ?
11:21
<warren>
ogra: wasnt' me
11:21
Q-FUNK: did you find a tracking number?
11:22
<Q-FUNK>
forgot to ask my secretary, sorry.
11:22
should be there soon, though
11:22
<warren>
Q-FUNK: it could be delivered anytime during the day, and it takes a while to get from loading dock to our office
11:22
<Q-FUNK>
ah
11:32nantes_geek has quit IRC
11:34
<laga>
re
11:39artista_frustrad has joined #ltsp
11:44slipttees has joined #ltsp
11:48exodos has quit IRC
11:56slipttees has quit IRC
12:06makghosh has quit IRC
12:11makghosh has joined #ltsp
12:20makghosh has quit IRC
12:22
<Q-FUNK>
bricode: would you mind coming over to #xorg-devel and following up on launchpad #214119 ? we're trying to determine how fast a cure is needed and which one works on Koolu hardware.
12:22
<bricode>
Q-FUNK: Sure. Give me a second.
12:25
<Q-FUNK>
bricode: thanks!
12:25slipttees has joined #ltsp
12:34
<mccann>
hey folks
12:36
are you using pulseaudio to remote sound?
12:38
<warren>
mccann: yeah, that's how it works on F-9, Debian, ubuntu, etc.
12:38
<mccann>
thanks warren
12:38
<ogra>
well, only as the backend (in case of ubuntu)
12:38
<warren>
mccann: why?
12:38
<ogra>
we use virtual alsa device through asoundrc
12:38
<mccann>
just curious how you did sound and the wiki seems to be out of date
12:38
<ogra>
(in the session)
12:39
<warren>
mccann: ltsp.org is the worst place to look currently for documentation...
12:39
<ogra>
which then connects to pulse on the clent, so apps in the session just need tio use alsa
12:39
<mccann>
warren: is there a better place for docs?
12:39
<warren>
mccann: nothing centralized
12:39
<mccann>
np
12:40
<ogra>
http://doc.ubuntu.com/edubuntu/edubuntu/handbook/C/server.html
12:41makghosh has joined #ltsp
12:41
<ogra>
thas the most detailed for ltsp5 atm i think
12:41
but rather aimed to users/admins, less to developers
12:41
<mccann>
ogra: cool - thanks
12:41indradg_ has joined #ltsp
12:44indradg_ has quit IRC
12:50slipttees has quit IRC
12:59indradg has quit IRC
13:07
<johnny>
ogra, is gksu still being used where required?
13:07
in hardy
13:07
i'm subscribed to sabayon bugs in ubuntu, and one just came in the other day
13:07
i updated my ubuntu virtualbox, and the sabayon.desktop is missing gksu now
13:07
<ogra>
only if its set in eh .desktop file
13:08
<johnny>
it needs to be
13:08
somebody didn't update the previous patch to the src
13:08
for the deb
13:08
<ogra>
tag the bug for 8.04.1 then
13:09
<johnny>
it will not work at all atm tho?
13:09
<ogra>
ah, well, gimme the bug number, i'll try my luck ... even though its very unlikely to get it through at this point
13:10
<johnny>
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/sabayon/+bug/219790
13:10
it just needs gksu prefixed
13:10
<ogra>
thx
13:10
<johnny>
how is it ever ok to put out a non working program? :(
13:10
<ogra>
what about the xnest issue entioned there ?
13:11
*mentioned
13:11
<laga>
johnny: you can't really postpone the release just for one tool :)
13:11
<johnny>
laga, i didn't say postpone the release
13:11
i mean apply the fix
13:11
that makes it work
13:11
that is only 5 characters
13:11
gksu<space>
13:12
<laga>
johnny: yeah, but the archives are frozen.
13:12
but i think they're not hard frozen yet
13:12
<johnny>
might as well take it out of the release all together
13:12
<laga>
at least i hope that, i'm preparing a feature freeze exception ;)
13:12
<ogra>
no, but the queue is ful
13:12primeministerp has quit IRC
13:12primeministerp has joined #ltsp
13:12
<ogra>
whats not pocessed by hard freeze and not on the RC blocker list wont get in
13:13
<laga>
ogra: when is hard freeze?
13:13
<ogra>
wed. i was told
13:13
but we'll start CD builds tomorrow very likely
13:13
<laga>
ogra: wed morning or night?
13:13
<ogra>
so everything that doesnt fix a CD blocker wont get in i guess
13:14
tomorrow rather
13:14
<laga>
ugh
13:15
<ogra>
laga, your prob wont be the upload, be sure ... your prob wil rather be to find someone to look at the changes
13:15
<laga>
ogra: superm1 can ack FFes for anything mythbuntu*, so i'm fine
13:16
<ogra>
ah, its universe stuff ?
13:16
<laga>
yes
13:16
<ogra>
thats easier then
13:16
<laga>
i 've only done universe/multiverse so far
13:19
<johnny>
ogra, you're not supposed to start it as sudo
13:19
all is fine if you use gksu
13:22* johnny punches openfire in the face
13:31makghosh has quit IRC
13:34makghosh has joined #ltsp
13:37shawnp0wers has left #ltsp
13:43matterb has joined #ltsp
13:44
<matterb>
\
13:44matterb has quit IRC
13:48Pascal_1 has joined #ltsp
13:50
<ogra>
johnny, hmm, the patch is there and didnt change, did anything change in the way sabayon generates .desktop from .desktop.in ?
13:51
<johnny>
yes
13:51
i mentioned it somewhere in a bug report
13:51
we don't have gnomesu by default
13:51
so s/gnomesu/gksu/ or the equiv will not work
13:52
<ogra>
no, i mean the generation from .desktop out f .desktopin
13:52
<johnny>
oh.. yeah
13:52
<ogra>
th epatch patches .desktop.in
13:52
<johnny>
desktop.in.in desktop.in
13:52
desktop
13:52
<ogra>
but that doesnt seem to apply
13:52
EEEK !!!
13:52
<johnny>
don't ask me
13:53
<ogra>
people creating .in.in foles deserve a painful death, really
13:53
*files
13:53
<johnny>
cuz i bugged federico to add support for X-GNOME-Bugzilla
13:53
and that's how he implemented -Version
13:53
<ogra>
bah
13:54
<johnny>
my autofu is weak, so i didn't know it was bad
13:54
<ogra>
it just easy to overlook
13:55
the source of lots of bugs
13:57
<johnny>
so the person who did this patch, didn't test his builds before recomending to hardy?
13:57
as it would not have worked
14:02
<ogra>
right
14:02
and he's not online to shout at him
14:07primeministerp has quit IRC
14:07Pascal_1 has left #ltsp
14:08
<ogra>
johnny, uploaded ... now only praying helps (if you are religious :) )
14:09primeministerp has joined #ltsp
14:10
<johnny>
not so much
14:10
i wonder how long i should wait til upgrading to hardy :)
14:11
wonder how long it will take for the mirrors to calm down
14:11
<Q-FUNK>
the hardy boys mystery.
14:12* johnny screams at openfire
14:12
<johnny>
uggh
14:12
killing my entire day
14:12
and yesterday
14:14
<laga>
cdimage.ubuntu.com is slow.
14:16
i should have used rsync
14:17
<ogra>
yeah
14:17
always
14:17* laga feels guilty.
14:18* laga feels guilty about feeling less guilty if it downloaded faster
14:19
<johnny>
rsync what?
14:20
<laga>
the daily cd
14:20
i usually get > 2 MB/s when dowloading it so it's fast enough ;)
14:21
<warren>
https://bugs.freedesktop.org/enter_bug.cgi?product=LTSP
14:21
?
14:21
<johnny>
laga, will you get such speed on thursday?
14:21
<laga>
johnny: no, i doubt it :)
14:21viking-ice has quit IRC
14:38bricode has quit IRC
14:40lns has quit IRC
14:43
<warren>
I finally got a thincan DBE61
14:44
it is a LOT faster than the one I tested with gadi
14:50
Q-FUNK: yeah.. 800mA wasn't enough power
14:53Q-FUNK has quit IRC
15:14TelnetManta has quit IRC
15:21deavid has quit IRC
15:22DonSilver has quit IRC
15:28viking-ice has joined #ltsp
15:31Q-FUNK has joined #ltsp
15:34
<warren>
https://bugs.freedesktop.org/enter_bug.cgi?product=LTSP eh?
15:34
why is this here?
15:37
<ogra>
why cat my firefox open it ?
15:37
*cant
15:38
<warren>
Firefox 3?
15:39
<ogra>
ah, translation glitch
15:40* ogra updates langpacks
15:49
<johnny>
warren, i don't know anybody who knows much about rpms.. what's the deal with making an f9 rpm run on el4 ?
15:49
is it possible?
15:50
<warren>
johnny: you need a EL4 buildroot to do it
15:50
<johnny>
lame
15:50
<warren>
assuming the spec file and BuildRequires are compatible on EL4
15:50
johnny: the libraries and everything are totally different
15:50
<johnny>
i'm having trouble finding ejabberd 2.0 rpms for el4 :(
15:50
and the requisite erlang ebuild
15:50
err rpm
15:51
<warren>
hah
15:51
<johnny>
well it works great on my gentoo server.. that's all i know
15:51
not sure why this is a problem :(
15:51
<warren>
erlang is in EPEL-4
15:51
no ejabberd
15:52
<johnny>
EPEL ?
15:52
<warren>
just search google
15:52
<johnny>
no help so far
15:52
<warren>
johnny: huge repository add-on for EL4
15:52
johnny: see if you can find a ejabberd .src.rpm for fc3
15:52
fc3 roughly equivalent with EL4
15:52
it might work
15:52
<johnny>
aha
15:53
that's good to know
15:53
<warren>
fc3 ~ EL4
15:53
fc6 ~ EL5
15:53
<johnny>
i haven't touched an rpm based distro since redhat6
15:53
<warren>
wow
15:53
<johnny>
shied away ever since
15:54
i need to figure out how to disable this annoying firefox ssl warning
15:54
it is out of hand
15:55justme____ has joined #ltsp
15:55
<johnny>
doing stuff with gentoo is waay easier for me
15:56* warren finds that totally backwards, but OK =)
15:56
<warren>
ogra: the ltspfs device icons on your GNOME desktop, did you manage to get right-click Unmount to work?
15:57
<ogra>
warren, i had a patch for gnomevfs to hide the option
15:57
<warren>
haha
15:57
<ogra>
but didnt make it to port it to gvfs
15:57
<warren>
oh, latest Ubuntu uses gvfs?
15:58
<ogra>
what upstream uses
15:58
<warren>
what GNOME version is it?
15:59
<ogra>
2.22.1
15:59
<warren>
ah
16:14
<dberkholz>
warren: gentoo may be source-based, but the package manager is quite nice. particularly for someone who stopped using redhat before yum existed..
16:18
<johnny>
making an ebuild is much simpler than packaging a deb..
16:18
or rpm it seems
16:19
dberkholz, i got agaffney to fix something like a showstopper bug for me
16:19
<dberkholz>
johnny: what was it?
16:19
<johnny>
damn thing was unmounting the swap partition :)
16:19
when it finished
16:20
which of course.. a few compiles later, made me go OOM
16:20
when running vbox
16:20
2GB - 512mb vbox - compiling = -0
16:21
oh. and running apps..
16:21
<dberkholz>
that's weird
16:21
i suppose if it generally expects to run on the same system it's installing to, it makes more sense
16:22
<johnny>
now he records what he does, an then reverses it
16:22
so it shouldn't be a problem
16:22
<dberkholz>
sounds like a much better plan
16:22
<johnny>
there's only one annoyance left
16:22
that is .. until openrc is in a stage3..
16:23
and that is that ${arch} is not available for use in chroot_dir :(
16:23
trying to get that solved after i finish up my current task
16:38slidesinger has quit IRC
16:41
<dberkholz>
johnny: have you tried building a custom stage3 using ~arch stuff including openrc?
16:41
johnny: we can do that, and get it onto the experimental/ directory of mirrors
16:42
<johnny>
we need a stage4 or binaries.. more so than
16:42
it's easier to stick with baselayout 1.x to start with, since quickstart makes modifications based on that
16:42
and then the openrc install takes care of the upgrades
16:44
<dberkholz>
yeah. we don't really have a great framework in place on the mirrors for distributing binaries
16:44
there are places that we can put binpkgs, but not high bandwidth
16:44
http://tinderbox.dev.gentoo.org/ for example
16:49
<johnny>
the biggest issue is xorg, and the kernels
16:49
otherwise.. the install would be pretty quick
16:51
<dberkholz>
i've got a guy who's going to be working on things similar to stage4's for summer of code. i'm hoping we can learn from that experience and apply it to ltsp
16:51
<johnny>
link to the proposal?
16:56MRH2 has joined #ltsp
16:57lns has joined #ltsp
17:00
<MRH2>
anyone know if there are plans for new ltsp-5 tarball images?
17:01
<ogra>
MRH2, you should rather see to get it included in your distro, thats the ltsp5 way
17:02
there might be tarballs at some point, but generally ltsp5 is all about distro integration
17:02
<MRH2>
yes that would be nice but centos/redhat ain't exactly desktop focussed
17:03
<ogra>
fedora will be the next distro to have it included , there is massive work going on to get that done
17:04cliebow has joined #ltsp
17:04
<ogra>
MRH2, warren can surely point you to a repo for fedora ltsp5 paxkages
17:04
<MRH2>
would that work with centos 5?
17:04
<ogra>
no idea, i'm ubuntu user
17:04
i wouldnt even exactly know the difference on a tech level
17:07
laga, cjwatson == code distillery ;)
17:07
<johnny>
sup?
17:08Q-FUNK has quit IRC
17:08
<ogra>
(couldnt say that in the other channel, he's my boss :) )
17:10
<laga>
ogra: :) at least i get to go to bed now. i meant to do that 1.5 hours ago, then i decided to make myself unhappy by doing some bug triaging ;)
17:10
<ogra>
heh
17:10
sleep tight then :)
17:11* ogra will go on with classmate clanups ... unltil he has a conf call at 7am
17:12
<laga>
sounds like a fun way to spend the night. i guess i'll see you in the morning, when i get up :)
17:12
<cliebow>
how about a little sleep!
17:12
<ogra>
cliebow, sleep if for post release :)
17:12
*is
17:12
<cliebow>
better you than me
17:16* johnny thinks ogra doesn't get paid well enough for this
17:17
<ogra>
i can slack a lot during a release cycle if i want, nobody really cotrols my work hours or so as long as in the end my work gets delivered ... its only some hot spots during a release where i have to do that
17:18
(ineed i work more hours than i' supposed to though)
17:19
i wouldnt want to miss the adrenaline and excitement the last ten days befoe a release :) even though its exhausting its also addicting ;)
17:19
<johnny>
sounds like fun in a way
17:19
it'd be nice to get paid for it at all :(
17:19
in my case
17:20* laga is in it for the fun
17:20
<laga>
and for the unique opportunity to yell at clueless users
17:20
;)
17:20justme____ has quit IRC
17:20justme____ has joined #ltsp
17:20
<ogra>
heh
17:20* ogra is in for the fun too
17:21
<cliebow>
Yay1
17:21
<ogra>
i would do everything i do for free anyway
17:21
<laga>
i've signed the CoC again last week so i've got to be nice, though
17:21
<stgraber>
laga: has it been updated ?
17:21
<johnny>
ogra, gotta live somehow..
17:21
<ogra>
johnny, right
17:22
<laga>
stgraber: no
17:22
<ogra>
stgraber, laga has been updated :)
17:22
<laga>
yes, to "suppressed anger 1.3a" ;)
17:23
<ogra>
s/supressed/properly creatively channeled/
17:23
wax on, wax off ... you know :)
17:24
<laga>
you're awarded the "euphemism of the day" award. ;)
17:24
i shall vanish before the night is over, cya
17:24
<ogra>
ciao
17:24
<johnny>
i hope to meet you in RL some day ogra
17:25
<ogra>
johnny, to quote monty python: i'm not dead yet :)
17:25
we'll surely get the opportunity one day :)
17:26
<johnny>
you ever come over this side of that big water thingy?
17:26
<ogra>
might be that i'll be in portland for oscon ... but thats not really near you
17:26
<johnny>
i gotta find a way to come for that
17:27
<ogra>
since canonical has a boston office i'll likely be on the east coast as well some point in the future
17:27
<johnny>
bit closer..
17:27
<cliebow>
cool!!
17:27
<johnny>
no cliebow not for you!.. ME!
17:27
lol
17:27
hehe
17:28
<cliebow>
they need an office in err.. Southwest Harbor..
17:28
<ogra>
and if i ever manae to claim my driver license back i'll finally rent a hog and drive down the atlantic coast ;)
17:28
<johnny>
baltimore
17:28
you can see the smallest ltsp install ever
17:28
<ogra>
then i'll drop by
17:28
<cliebow>
small but very incere..
17:28* ogra has the smallest ltsp inswtall every ... an ubuntu ltsp server on a 2G micro SD card ;)
17:29
<cliebow>
add an s
17:29
<ogra>
*ever
17:29
<johnny>
i meant client wise :)
17:29
<cliebow>
hah!
17:29
<johnny>
4
17:29
4 is all we have
17:29
<cliebow>
the parrots revision of my keyboard havnt helped things any
17:32
<ogra>
johnny, sabayon accepted
17:32
<johnny>
aha
17:32
yay
17:32
<ogra>
:)
17:32
<johnny>
not that it matters to me personally
17:32
i know how to make it work :)
17:33
<ogra>
well, you are subscribed to the bugs :)
17:33
<johnny>
but i'm sure the users will be slightly happier
17:33
<ogra>
yeah
17:33
and it will produce less noise
17:33
<johnny>
did you comment on the bug?
17:34
<ogra>
no
17:34
hmm
17:34
crap and my first upoad was buggy, the second doesnt have the LP: entry for autoclosing
17:34* ogra goes to close manuall
17:34
<ogra>
y
17:35
<johnny>
ok.. i concede.. openfire isn't going to cut it
17:35
binary installer ftw
17:35
of ejabberd
17:36
<ogra>
jabber probs ?
17:37
i know someone who is deep into jabber servers, but he's not online atm ... (will be back during european workhours tomorrow)
17:38
<stgraber>
johnny: isn't openfire that java based jabber server I tried long ago ? which a pretty web UI but not much feature
17:38
<johnny>
it has more features now
17:38
but.. it's bosh implementation is broken
17:38
it got a gsoc application accepted
17:39
and is schedule to be solved in q3 sometime
17:39
but.. i can't wait for that crap
17:39
ejabberd has more useful features for me atm
17:39
except for transports
17:39
openfire does a better job with the transports
17:39
they are all integrated
17:39
and written in java
17:40
in ejabberd, you have to manually edit the config file, and run seperate services
17:40
most especially for AIM
17:40
<stgraber>
oh, things seem to have changed a lot since I last tried it :) IIRC it didn't have transport at all last I tried
17:46
<johnny>
but
17:46
it's still lacking one i need for my own stuff
17:46
vhost support!
17:47
<stgraber>
hmm, indeed the lack of vhost support can be a problem :)
17:54
<johnny>
before the whole open sourcing thing happen
17:54
ed*
17:54
they explained that most of the people who requested vhost support were users of the free version
17:54
so it wasn't high priority
18:07xachen has quit IRC
18:07xachen has joined #ltsp
18:14artista_frustrad has quit IRC
18:14mccann has quit IRC
18:15artista_frustrad has joined #ltsp
18:29TelnetManta has joined #ltsp
18:30justme____ has quit IRC
18:38
<MRH2>
Hi on 4.2 bootup stops at "input: AT Translated Set 2 keyboard as /class/input/input0"
18:39
does this sound like a problem buiding the X config file?
18:46
sorry gtg
18:47MRH2 has quit IRC
18:55staffencasa has quit IRC
18:55jammcq has joined #ltsp
19:15ari_stress has joined #ltsp
19:37ari_stress has quit IRC
19:39ari_stress has joined #ltsp
20:05makghosh|afk has joined #ltsp
20:05ari_stress has quit IRC
20:08makghosh has quit IRC
20:09makghosh|afk is now known as makghosh
20:10ari_stress has joined #ltsp
20:10cliebow has quit IRC
20:50makghosh has quit IRC
20:51Faithful has joined #ltsp
20:54makghosh has joined #ltsp
21:16ari_stress has quit IRC
21:25spectra has quit IRC
21:32Faithful has quit IRC
22:18makghosh has quit IRC
22:23artista_frustrad has quit IRC
22:32artista_frustrad has joined #ltsp
22:51F-GT has quit IRC
22:53mccann has joined #ltsp
23:01subir has joined #ltsp
23:13alekibango has quit IRC
23:15praveer_cool has joined #ltsp
23:58F-GT has joined #ltsp