IRC chat logs for #ltsp on irc.freenode.net (webchat)


Channel log from 8 September 2008   (all times are UTC)

00:04
<dsmith_>
anyone running ltsp at home?
00:13cyberorg has joined #ltsp
00:14
<johnny>
tryin to..
00:14
need a longer network cable :)
00:15juanpaul has quit IRC
00:16jonnor-arch has quit IRC
00:16
<dsmith_>
heh
00:16
I am building one as we speak in vmware-server to test out
00:17jonnor has quit IRC
00:40dsmith_ has quit IRC
01:10indradg__ has quit IRC
01:15Subhodip has quit IRC
01:18indradg has joined #ltsp
01:19deavid has joined #ltsp
01:25Q-FUNK has joined #ltsp
01:32johnny has left #ltsp
01:56plamengr has joined #ltsp
01:58dsmith_ has joined #ltsp
01:58
<dsmith_>
hello
01:58
I am trying to boot via psx into ltsp and its not working
01:58
via PXE
01:59
the ltsp server is not being used as a dhcp server
02:07cilkay has quit IRC
02:09putty_thing has joined #ltsp
02:12dsmith_ has quit IRC
02:16Pascal_1 has joined #ltsp
02:26putty_thing has quit IRC
02:30putty_thing has joined #ltsp
02:36elmar1969 has joined #ltsp
02:37
<elmar1969>
Hello, On my terminals keyboward seems no longer to work. What can be going wrong?
02:48
<Pascal_1>
Bonjour
03:16tjikkun_work has joined #ltsp
03:23toscalix has joined #ltsp
03:29wwx_ has joined #ltsp
03:31Q-FUNK has quit IRC
03:31wwx_ has left #ltsp
03:31wwx has joined #ltsp
03:37mikkel has joined #ltsp
03:52
<wigwam>
hi
03:52zamba has joined #ltsp
03:52
<wigwam>
please is possible to change ldm look somehow?
03:52
some ldm themes or so :)
03:52
<zamba>
i have a problem with hardcoded name servers in /etc/resolv.conf on my image.. how can i make the dns servers received from dhcp being the ones used?
03:53
(using the kiosk mode)
03:56cyberorg has quit IRC
04:03cyberorg has joined #ltsp
04:04
<wigwam>
ogra: please, could you hint me, how to create custom ldm theme?
04:12Swiff has joined #ltsp
04:13
<Swiff>
Hi. I'm trying to boot Fedora 9 on a VIA machine using LTSP. Everything runs smoothly until it tries to start x. I tried setting drivers, modes, etc just like a local install on the machine, but the monitor goes into standby as soon as X is launched. How can I troubleshoot this?
04:16
<cyberorg>
wigwam, replace logo.png and bg.png with your artwork
04:17
<wigwam>
ah, thanks :)
04:23X0d_of_N0d has quit IRC
04:24X0d_of_N0d has joined #ltsp
04:26
<elmar1969>
Hello, On my terminals keyboward seems no longer to work. What can be going wrong?
04:42ATA_Dark_Shadow has joined #ltsp
04:48elmar1969 has quit IRC
04:51ATA_Dark_Shadow has quit IRC
04:56
<wigwam>
cyberorg: please, i've changed ldm bg to white, but login input box is still in gray rectangle... is it possible to set input box image (or properties) somehow?
04:58
<cyberorg>
there is some theming you can do in greeter-gtkrc
04:59
<wigwam>
thx
05:16gate_keeper_ has joined #ltsp
05:22ATA_Dark_Shadow has joined #ltsp
06:03gate_keeper__ has joined #ltsp
06:17gate_keeper_ has quit IRC
06:19ogra has quit IRC
06:21ogra has joined #ltsp
06:36jammcq has quit IRC
06:47K_O-Gnom has joined #ltsp
07:01Pascal_1 has quit IRC
07:04Pascal_1 has joined #ltsp
07:04deavid has quit IRC
07:08Pascal_1 has quit IRC
07:09Q-FUNK has joined #ltsp
07:12Pascal_1 has joined #ltsp
07:24Q-FUNK has quit IRC
07:26Blinny has joined #ltsp
07:29elisboa has quit IRC
07:29elisboa has joined #ltsp
07:30Subhodip has joined #ltsp
07:31randra has joined #ltsp
07:35dmaran has joined #ltsp
07:44Nubae has joined #ltsp
07:51cliebow has joined #ltsp
07:53Subhodip has quit IRC
08:02Q-FUNK has joined #ltsp
08:15joebake1 has joined #ltsp
08:15elisboa has quit IRC
08:21Gadi has joined #ltsp
08:23
<ogra>
Q-FUNK, does -nsc have pciaccess support already ?
08:23Swiff has quit IRC
08:23
<ogra>
Q-FUNK, https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/xserver-xorg-video-psb/+bug/265035 ...
08:25
<Q-FUNK>
ogra: no, it doesn't and I already blogged about this a while back.
08:25
<ogra>
hrm
08:26
<Q-FUNK>
erm, what does it have to do with poulsbo?
08:26Egyptian[Home1 has quit IRC
08:26Q-FUNK has quit IRC
08:28mikkel has quit IRC
08:28elisboa has joined #ltsp
08:29Q-FUNK has joined #ltsp
08:29joebake1 has quit IRC
08:29Blinny has quit IRC
08:29
<ogra>
Q-FUNK, nothing
08:30
Q-FUNK, its wrongly marked, the original bug was against xserver-xorg
08:30
but -nsc exposes the same behavior as -vga does in that bug, seems the ubuntu X team plans to drop -nsc
08:31
which as i understand it is a bad thing
08:31joebaker has quit IRC
08:31
<ogra>
(ignore the -psb stuff, its totally irrelevant)
08:32
ah, timo just told me that the -geode driver is supposed to support the -nsc HW as well now (or soon) ...
08:32* ogra feels relieved
08:35mhterres has joined #ltsp
08:36
<ogra>
Q-FUNK, is that correct info ?
08:36
<Q-FUNK>
soon, but not yet
08:37* ogra hopes early enough for intrepid then
08:37
<Q-FUNK>
and the way things are going, Jordan is gonna skip trying to keep backward-compatiblity with 1.4, even though it was initially planned that way
08:37
no, after intrepid
08:37
<ogra>
meh
08:37
<Q-FUNK>
scheduled for december
08:37
<ogra>
so we wont have -nsc support for intrepid
08:37
bad ...
08:37
<Q-FUNK>
so we now have broken support for cyrix and nsc in both hardy and intrepid.
08:38
<ogra>
hardy ?
08:38
i thought thats fixed with -updates
08:39
<Q-FUNK>
the PCI id conflict with -geode was fixed.
08:39
but the -nsc and -cyrix drivers themselves are not in the best of shapes
08:39Egyptian[Home] has joined #ltsp
08:39
<ogra>
:(
08:42
<Q-FUNK>
Jordan's priorities are with skimming the code for 1.5 and in supporting current Geode products.
08:42
I understand the later, but I fully disagree with the former, because it's showing complete disregard for distributions with a stable tree
08:45Swiff has joined #ltsp
08:46
<ogra>
well, i dont care much for intrepid as we will release with 1.5 ... hardy might be problematic then though
08:46joebaker has joined #ltsp
08:47toscalix has quit IRC
08:51
<cliebow>
hmmm...nsc
08:52mikkel has joined #ltsp
08:59
<Q-FUNK>
the initial idea was to integrate gx1 support (this being the last item on the roadmap for -geode), following which code lceanups that might remove support for <<1.5 might happen
09:00
in the end, Jordan just found it simpler to strip backward compatibility and the hell with 1.4
09:02
that stripping backward-compatiblity and relying upon the new unified libs that 1.5 offers has simplified his life is unquestionable.
09:02
that doing this threw the baby and the bath water in the same process as far as supporting users go is where it hurts.
09:04
especially for a chipset family that is already EOL, maintaining compatiblity with 1.4 would have been paramount, as stable releases like lenny and hardy is the sort of long-term suport that enterprises tend to rely on.
09:05
and that support period is about how long organizations need before they make up their mind about upgrading a few thousand thin clients
09:06
his decision was a typical developer's "the hell with the user! removing this crap makes my life easier and so be it"
09:08ltsppbot has quit IRC
09:26
<ogra>
yeah
09:26
bad attitude ... but his choice
09:28
<Q-FUNK>
the worst part is that he keeps on promising to do one thing and then does something else, only to end up blaming me and others for reminding him of what was agreed.
09:29
anyhow, as far as I'm concerned, Hardy support is pretty doomed as it is. e.g. the kernel team refuses to investigate regressions introduced into Hardy. they instead ask users to try the latest and greatest 2.6.27.
09:31
seems to me that, in order to succeed at having such a thing as a stable LTS release, Canonical would need to dedicate an entirely different team from the one that develops new releases.
09:31mhterres has quit IRC
09:32mhterres has joined #ltsp
09:32
<Q-FUNK>
because, right now, all the package teams are interested is in having end-users try intrepid and see wheter it fixes their pet bug.
09:34
which really goes against the principle of LTS releases: you don't ask LTS users to upgrade every 6 months, or even before a release is done during the development phase, just to avoid fixing bugs and hope that the latest and greatest upstream miraculously fixes everything.
09:35
<ogra>
no, but you need to know if the bug is fixed in the next release to justify possible backports of patches/fixes
09:37
<Q-FUNK>
well, given how the issue is a regression, rolling back sounds like a better course of action.
09:38
<laga>
git-bisect? ;)
09:39
<Q-FUNK>
e.g. DBE60 support breakage since Hardy. reported as a regression. answer: try our next and greatest release, kthxbye.
09:39
laga: indeed, but that would require the kernel team actually wanting to investigate the issue and figuring out which change broke it.
09:39
<laga>
Q-FUNK: you can usually get an SRU if you have a patch
09:40
<ogra>
right
09:40
<laga>
Q-FUNK: since you want to sell that stuff, you might have to do it yourself ;)
09:40
not from a canonical POV, simply from common sense
09:40
if you want it fixed, go ahead
09:40
git-bisect is not that hard and often gives acceptable results.
09:41
i once had to git-bisect a kernel on a 733MHz box with 128M of RAM because of a regression in upstream kernels which had been backported into ubuntu feisty.
09:41
as an SRU. i was rather annoyed at the kernel guys ;)
09:41
<Q-FUNK>
true, except that I have no idea what they changed between 2.6.22 and 2.6.24 that could explain the breakage. besides, vanilla 2.6.24 works, so it's got to be something ubuntu-specific
09:42
<laga>
that's no problem. git-bisect might be able to pinpoint the commit which introduce the breakage
09:42
oh, even better. it should be easy to identify the ubuntu changes
09:43
i *believe* they take a upstream kernel release and push their commits on top, so git-bisect should be really easy to do, with just a few reboots
09:43
i can understand you're annoyed, but triaging this bug is very easy for you
09:43
at least it should be
09:44
<Q-FUNK>
not really
09:44
it's a complete kernel freeze during bootup, right before loading the initramfs
09:44
<laga>
clone the kernel tree for hardy, read up on git-bisect, go ahead
09:44
seriously, read up on git-bisect.
09:45
<Q-FUNK>
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux/+bug/241307
09:46
that would be assuming that I am intent on becoming a developer and to better learn the tools.
09:46
I'm not.
09:46
I'm essentially doing helpdesk duties, here.
09:47
<ogra>
bt you could tyr with the .27 kernel still
09:47
and thats what leann asks for
09:48Swiff has quit IRC
09:48
<ogra>
so the kernel team knows its fixed and could do the git-bisect themselves
09:49Nubae has quit IRC
09:50Nubae has joined #ltsp
09:51
<ogra>
but fixing a bug simply requires some kind of communication between the developer and affected user
09:52
which you simply block with your last comment
09:52
"fix that, kthxbye" isnt really helpful
09:52
<Q-FUNK>
I don't call dropping by once with a huge list of requests and ktxbye as communication.
09:53
"try our latest and greatest, ktxbye" isn't helpful either
09:53
doing that bisect between the last known good kernel and the buggy one would be more productive.
09:53
<ogra>
try our latest and greatest can give them some pointers as i explained above
09:54
<Q-FUNK>
comparing with the last known good, too
09:54
<ogra>
right, but they dont have the HW ...
09:55
give them a pointer whats different between gutsy and hardy or help them with comparing hardy with intrepid
09:55
<Q-FUNK>
they don't have it with 2.6.27 either
09:55
<ogra>
just blocking wont help anyone
09:55
<Q-FUNK>
what's different is simple: this used to boot fine on gutsy, with 2.6.22
09:55
<ogra>
you didnt say that on the bug
09:55
<Q-FUNK>
I do
09:56
"This used to boot just fine on previous Ubuntu releases."
09:56
<ogra>
i dont see you saying anything about .27
09:57
<Q-FUNK>
it's a regression. we don't talk about future kernels.
09:57
<ogra>
*sigh*
09:57
<Q-FUNK>
indeed.
09:58
<ogra>
so do you or dont ou see that behavior with a .27 kernel ? if its fixed there chances are good that the kernel team will backport the fix
09:59
<laga>
if they can isolate the fix
09:59
<ogra>
a very simple question which you answered with "i only want to have it fixed in hardy" ...
09:59
<Q-FUNK>
it's a regression. it's about rolling back an un-necessary "fix" that was introduced, not about backporting a regression over a regression.
09:59
<ogra>
which is an answer for which *i* would have closed the bug already with a comment that i need communication with the reporter
09:59Subhodip has joined #ltsp
09:59
<laga>
i don't see how trying the latest kernel is particularly helpful. you'd still have to find out what fixed it
10:00
ogra: ACK on that, too ;)
10:00
<Q-FUNK>
precisely
10:00
and finding out what fixed it again is the same as finding out what broken
10:00
<ogra>
laga, right, but thats something the kernel team would even do for you ...
10:00
<Q-FUNK>
except that starting from a known good kernel is easier than rolling back a re-re--refix
10:00
<laga>
git-bisect, get a patch, submit it to the kernel guys, almost done ;)
10:00
ogra: really? odd. sounds like a very painful task.
10:01
<ogra>
s/would/might/ :)
10:01
<laga>
haha
10:01
<ogra>
the important part here is that if you dont want to be a dev, follow the isntructions of the dev to make him/her fix it
10:02
instead of switching to blocking mode
10:02
<Q-FUNK>
there are 421 patches in there.
10:02
<laga>
412 patches? hum. maybe 8 bisect runs?
10:02
or 9
10:02
unless my maths is wrong
10:05
i guess you could have done two runs in the time you spent arguing in here ;)
10:06
<Q-FUNK>
only if I were someone who uses this kind of tools.
10:06
<laga>
git-bisect is dead easy.
10:06
a monkey could do it
10:07
<Q-FUNK>
I'm a car driver who knows how to open the hood and put more windshield washing fluid in the tank.
10:07
don't expect me to become a fully certified enthusiastic mechanic just because I know how to pop the hood open.
10:07
<laga>
*shrug*
10:07
i can't help you then
10:07* laga considers git-bisect the best thing since sliced bread in a tin can
10:08
<Q-FUNK>
it probably is, but don't expect end-users to learn how to use it. :)
10:08
<laga>
can you compile a kernel?
10:09
<Q-FUNK>
I don't need to. :)
10:09
<laga>
sigh.
10:09
<Q-FUNK>
and in the few rares cases where I did, kernel-package did it all for me.
10:09
<laga>
alright, i've got to do some homework.
10:12_UsUrPeR_ has joined #ltsp
10:14
<_UsUrPeR_>
morning all
10:15
does anyone know of the equivalent of X_OPTION_01 = "\"ForcePanel\" \"True\"" in a xorg.conf?
10:17mccann has joined #ltsp
10:21warren has quit IRC
10:23gate_keeper__ has quit IRC
10:23gate_keeper__ has joined #ltsp
10:26Pascal_1 has quit IRC
10:26warren has joined #ltsp
10:31tjikkun_work has quit IRC
10:34Subhodip has quit IRC
10:34Q-FUNK has quit IRC
10:37
<Gadi>
_UsUrPeR_: what driver?
10:39
<_UsUrPeR_>
openchrome
10:39
<Gadi>
you have an LCDS panel you want to force?
10:39
*LVDS
10:40
you should look in the BIOS
10:40
<_UsUrPeR_>
gadi: I am going to be posting a write-up on dual-screens. Etyack and I had a breakthrough on Friday, and I am going to fully document the process.
10:40etyack has joined #ltsp
10:40
<Gadi>
what breakthrough?
10:41
<_UsUrPeR_>
gadi: we have gotten dual monitors working on the via chipset clients with via drivers
10:41
<Gadi>
DVI?
10:42
<_UsUrPeR_>
gadi: and by "dual" I mean completely independant screens for the desktop in ubuntu
10:42
gadi: correct. one DVI monitor and one VGA monitor
10:42
<Gadi>
xinerama?
10:42
(or is that dead these days)
10:43
<_UsUrPeR_>
gadi: yes. xinerama
10:43
<Gadi>
cool - in LTSP?
10:43
<_UsUrPeR_>
gadi: It required a lot of experimentation with xorg.conf configs, but yes. We have gotten it to work in LTSP 5 in ubuntu
10:43
<Gadi>
nice - and without hacking configure-x.sh?
10:43
nice
10:44
I guess the one driver drives both displays
10:44
<_UsUrPeR_>
gadi: I would now like to see if I can get this to work with openchrome, since the via drivers are kind of hokey and require some manual setup
10:44
gadi: correct. one drive for both displays
10:44
<Gadi>
you needed the ForcePanel for the DVI?
10:45
afaik openchrome does not have support for DVI
10:45
<_UsUrPeR_>
gadi: correct. I need forcepanel in xorg
10:45
flpxj not what I wanted to hear ;)
10:45
<Gadi>
heh
10:45
but, that was last time I experimented - about 6 months ago
10:45
dunno about latest
10:45
there is a channel on irc here
10:46
I think it is #unichrome
10:46
they will know
10:46
<_UsUrPeR_>
yeah, I will get in there and check. I can get unichrome to make the DVI monitor work properly with the forcepanel option, but that shuts off the vga output :|
10:47
<Gadi>
ah
10:47
maybe use PanelGeometry instead?
10:47
er, PanelSize
10:47
<_UsUrPeR_>
hmm....
10:56Subhodip has joined #ltsp
11:05coreg has joined #ltsp
11:05
<coreg>
hi
11:06
there is a live-cd with ltsp server?
11:06
<warren>
coreg: http://wtogami.livejournal.com/27610.html
11:07
<coreg>
tanxù
11:18
<Nubae>
warren can I link to the live cd option from the documentation, might be a good option for those curious to just test it... ?
11:18japerry has quit IRC
11:21Q-FUNK has joined #ltsp
11:25
<warren>
Nubae: you can, but it will change quickly
11:25
beta 2 is coming soon
11:26
<Nubae>
k I'll wait till you feel comfortable with it
11:29japerry has joined #ltsp
11:44Pascal_1 has joined #ltsp
11:50mccann_ has joined #ltsp
11:55Nubae has quit IRC
11:57ATA_Dark_Shadow has quit IRC
11:57Nubae has joined #ltsp
12:00rcy has quit IRC
12:04mccann has quit IRC
12:15vagrantc has joined #ltsp
12:15pimpministerp has joined #ltsp
12:19Egyptian[Home] has quit IRC
12:19elisboa has quit IRC
12:20elisboa has joined #ltsp
12:20Egyptian[Home] has joined #ltsp
12:27johnny has joined #ltsp
12:31mccann_ has quit IRC
12:31primeministerp has quit IRC
12:35johnny has left #ltsp
12:36mccann has joined #ltsp
12:38johnny has joined #ltsp
12:38gbolte has joined #ltsp
12:43Q-FUNK has quit IRC
12:56
<sbalneav>
Afternoon all!
12:56
ogra: Pingity-ping
12:58Q-FUNK has joined #ltsp
12:58
<gbolte>
hi
12:58
<sbalneav>
Hello
12:58
<johnny>
aha gentlement
12:58
gentlemen*
12:59
and scotty
12:59
lol
12:59
<gbolte>
lol
12:59
<sbalneav>
<picture of scott with 50 cigarettes in his mouth>
12:59
Gentlemen.
13:00
<johnny>
sbalneav, so.. did you know that donnie is pregnant?
13:00
lol
13:00
his wife has probably had her baby now in all seriousness
13:01
<sbalneav>
Ah, cool.
13:01
Congrats to him!
13:01
<johnny>
so.. he got my code merged before he went away
13:01
<sbalneav>
excellent
13:01
<johnny>
turns out our issues at the hackfest weren't even my fault.. they were our kernel/initramfs generator
13:01
but we got that figured out
13:02
my computer had crashed right before i left town on my wayt out there, so couldn't get the proper settings
13:02
i ended up having to transfer my mobo to a new case when i got back
13:02
the power supply blew out
13:03
so.. local devices are working now which is nice :)
13:03
now just need to get sound and local apps working
13:03
<ogra>
sbalneav, quick pong
13:03
<johnny>
i wanted to ask what some of the distributors here were doing with the xrexecd scripts and friends
13:05
warren, you about?
13:05
<warren>
i'm shipping it
13:05
but no documentation
13:05
because the names might change upstream
13:06* ogra has it in the package as well
13:06
<johnny>
where are you putting em ?
13:06
warren, where is your spec file ?
13:06
<warren>
ltsp-server has /usr/bin/xrexec
13:06
<ogra>
/usr/bin
13:07
client/xrexecd/xrexecd.sh usr/bin
13:07
client/xrexecd/src/xatomwait usr/bin
13:07
thats my install finle
13:07
*file
13:07
<sbalneav>
ogra: got a patch for you for hardy ldm for pw expiry
13:07ltsppbot has joined #ltsp
13:07
<ogra>
do we have a bug ?
13:07
<warren>
ltsp-client has /usr/bin/xrexecd.sh
13:07
<ogra>
i need one for an SRU
13:07
<johnny>
so.. xrexec in the server and the sh and xatomwait in the client?
13:07
<warren>
ltsp-client has /usr/bin/xatomwait
13:07
<johnny>
ok
13:08
thanks guys
13:08
<sbalneav>
ogra: ok, I'll file a bug, and attach the patch.
13:08
<ogra>
my xrexec goes to /usr/chare/doc/ltsp-server/examples though
13:08
sbalneav, muchas gracias
13:08
*share even
13:08
<johnny>
i don't mind deploying them directly on gentoo
13:08
no big deal imo
13:08
<ogra>
i do
13:08
<johnny>
i'd rather force LOCAL_APPS=F
13:08
<ogra>
sonce that is supposed to vanish
13:09
<johnny>
oh.. they are?
13:09
i missed that part i guess
13:09
<ogra>
with the transparent implementation xrexec is nonsense
13:09
<Q-FUNK>
I just got a customer request from a school, with a fairly typical question: how can they mix and match a typical LTSP server's applications with some windows applications that they need to teach?
13:09
<warren>
sbalneav: is that patch already upstream?
13:09
<ogra>
but i wont have that for intrepid so i ship it as example file
13:09
<Q-FUNK>
I answered Wine, but it might be far-fetched for some applications like Autocad.
13:09
<ogra>
warren, it doesnt occur upstream
13:10
warren, stop being so anxious :)
13:10
<warren>
why does it not occur upstream?
13:10
<ogra>
hardy ships an older ldm version
13:10
<warren>
oh
13:10
<ogra>
the release was before the rewrite
13:10
or i should say the freeze was
13:15Pascal_1 has quit IRC
13:16spectra has joined #ltsp
13:22
<Q-FUNK>
warren: what is your latest FC release with up-to-date -geode drivers on LTSP, again? FC9?
13:23coreg has quit IRC
13:23
<warren>
Q-FUNK: F9
13:25mistik1_ has joined #ltsp
13:25mistik1 has quit IRC
13:25mistik1_ is now known as mistik1
13:32
<Gadi>
is xatomwait just the C version of xrexecd.sh?
13:32
<ogra>
no
13:32mccann has quit IRC
13:32
<ogra>
xrexecd.sh uses it afaik
13:33
(dont ask me what for ... only god^Wscottie knows)
13:33
<warren>
Gadi: xatomwait waits for the atom to change instead of busy looping
13:33
<laga>
is there a document that describes how the localapp magic works?
13:34
because i'm wondering what an xatom does
13:34
<Gadi>
ah
13:34
see what happens when ur away on vacation? ;)
13:34
laga: x atoms are used for launching the app
13:34
an X atom is a property of the X window
13:35
since you can detect the property change on both client and server, it's a neat way to communicate
13:35
<ogra>
laga, i'll put it on the wiki for release
13:35
<laga>
ah. and how does that interface with the user? is there a special app launcher?
13:35
<Gadi>
ay, there's the rub
13:35
<ogra>
laga, you will be able to use the script from /usr/share/doc/ltsp-server/examples
13:35
to test the infrastructure
13:36
(there will be an xrexec script that assembles what the .desktop files in the later implementation will use)
13:36
<laga>
ah. nice.
13:36
<ogra>
so for now you can manually change your .desktop files to make use of it
13:36
<laga>
still a lot besser than the ssh mangling in ltsp 4..
13:37
<ogra>
yeah
13:37
<laga>
better*
13:37
i hate it when i slip in german words ;)
13:37
<ogra>
heh
13:37
i sometimes do that while talking
13:37
thats even worse
13:38
<laga>
ogra: i'll try to have mythbuntu-diskless merged for intrepid+1. make sure to kick me hard if it doesnt happen
13:38
<ogra>
heh, i will try
13:39
but my workload raises ... intrepid was actually a slacking release for my work in the new team ... with +1 i'll have some heavy duty work, not sure how much i can demote to ltsp then
13:39
<laga>
i'm sure there is enough time left to yell at me ;)
13:40
<ogra>
yeah, yelling should work :)
13:53
<Gadi>
ogra: you have a good touchscreen calibration tool?
13:53
<ogra>
Gadi, not yet, but intrepid will have one :)
13:53
<Gadi>
they may have to make it
13:53
<ogra>
everything switched to hal-input
13:53
<Gadi>
most for Linux suck at best
13:53
<ogra>
so i have to touch that area anyway for my new job
13:53
<Gadi>
thats why I asked ;)
13:54
please let me know how that goes
13:54
<ogra>
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/xf86-input-evtouch/+bug/261873
13:54
just subscribe to that bug :)
13:54Subhodip has quit IRC
13:54
<ogra>
and if you have any evtouch devices i'd appreciate a working xorg.conf and lshal
13:54dmaran has quit IRC
13:55
<ogra>
sadly hal upstream doesnt want to accept it, so for now the new stuff will be ubuntu only
13:55
<johnny>
why not?
13:55
<Gadi>
how does this actually calibrate without user input?
13:56
or does it just use default vals?
13:56
ah - reading the bug more carefully - this doesnt actually calibrate it
13:56
<ogra>
currently it uses all default vals for all touchscreens i know ... but it will use a claibration file in /etc
13:56
<Gadi>
it just fixes the infrastructure
13:57
<ogra>
the calibration tool will
13:57
<Gadi>
right - but no such tool exists atm
13:57
right?
13:57
<ogra>
and as its not writing to xorg.conf i can add a special system group and make it group writable or some such
13:57
evtouch ships a tool
13:57
i plan to patch it
13:57
<Gadi>
ah
13:58
will it work for elographics?
13:58
<ogra>
Gadi, currently only for evtouch
13:58
<Gadi>
ok
13:58
evtouch == USB only, right?
13:58
<ogra>
i dont have any elographics devices yet
13:58
i dont think so
13:59
<Gadi>
hmm...
13:59
<ogra>
i know some PCI evtouch devices
13:59
so it shold be universal ... as long as it has a /dev/input/eventX
13:59
<Gadi>
but not serial
14:00
<ogra>
serial should probably use inputattach to attach to /dev/input/<someting> ... then it could use evtouch ...
14:00
i dont have serial devices either here
14:01
<Gadi>
heh - "Calibration is currently untestet, broken and needs to be fixed --
14:01
sorry. I'll fix it if I have time..
14:01
"
14:01
from evtouch README
14:01
<ogra>
yeah
14:01
there is something in moblin-applets
14:02
that works, and should be generic enough if i can manage to patch out the hildon deps
14:03
i then would merge that into xf86-input-evtouch
14:03
at least for intrepid
14:03
for intrepid+1 i want a more proper infrastructure
14:04
i.e. separate touchscreen-calibration package that works with all sorts of touchscreens
14:04
johnny, hal upstream says hardware configuration doesnt belong into hal
14:06
so for now it will be a ubuntu only solution ... but i'll try to contact the different upstreams for the different dirvers later to not have to maintain tons of patches
14:07mccann has joined #ltsp
14:07
<ogra>
the prob is that they need to accept hal as a dependency ... since my solution will be totally hal centric
14:07
<gbolte>
ogra, isnt hal pretty much a must have these days?
14:08
<ogra>
gbolte, well, not everyone agrees ... and not all distros switched to xorg 1.5
14:08
with 1.5 it will become a must have
14:08
<gbolte>
hmm
14:08
I see
14:08
<ogra>
so intrepid+1 (9.04) is better for that
14:09
until then many shold have switched
14:09
<gbolte>
ah
14:09
<ogra>
for 8.10 i'll go with an ubuntu solution ... that way others and upstreams can stil decide if they come up with something better
14:10
i would have liked to see the stuff in hal-info ... but upstream doesnt agree and i'm tired of being told off
14:10
and dont want to release with regressions in that area ... since it affects my current work
14:11
<gbolte>
yeah I guess we are still using 1.4
14:11
:/
14:11
so no hal
14:11
<ogra>
yeah, its quite a step to switch everything
14:12
especially since you need a distro specific way for keyboard setups
14:12
that needs good planning
14:12
<gbolte>
yeah I am wondering what the plan is for suse
14:13
<ogra>
ubuntu goes with console-setup data ... not sure what fedora does ... the hal callout script is the same though
14:13
debian is to busy with lenny to eben work on that yet
14:14
there might be stuff in debian experimental i dont know about though
14:14
<gbolte>
how new is 1.5
14:16
oh its still in dev
14:16
<vagrantc>
debian/experimental has 1.5.0
14:16
1.4.2 in unstable/testing
14:16
<ogra>
upstream is at 1.4.99 atm
14:16
pre 1.5 :)
14:17
<vagrantc>
well, somehow debian has 1.5.0 ... :)
14:17
<ogra>
heh
14:17
i bet our package is also called 1.5 already :)
14:17
but upstream hasnt released yet
14:20
<gbolte>
I am guessing that suse will have the new version of x in 11.2
14:32jonnor has joined #ltsp
14:32elisboa has quit IRC
14:33elisboa has joined #ltsp
14:44bobby_C has joined #ltsp
14:47
<Gadi>
vagrantc: did you see my note about LOCALDEV_DENY?
14:47* Gadi solicits feedback
14:47
<vagrantc>
Gadi: yeah.
14:48
Gadi: i'd give it a 7.
14:49
<Gadi>
did I lose a point or two on the dismount? ;)
14:50
<vagrantc>
basically, it's a little clunky to start with, but i understand why.
14:50
<Gadi>
clunky in terms of syntax?
14:50
<vagrantc>
setting up a few booleans for common cases is probably smart, but i fear that might swiftly become a gazillion values.
14:51
a little bit
14:51
<Gadi>
right
14:51
well, you need some form of logical operators ;)
14:51
<vagrantc>
yeah, syntax a little clunky ...
14:51
<Gadi>
I figured + for and, comma for or
14:51
you'll find it works for most things you can dream up
14:52
and keeps the real lts.conf var to 1
14:52
<vagrantc>
i also wasn't sure if 1,2,3+4 means (1,2,3)+4 or 1,2,(3+4)
14:52
<Gadi>
right - that's why I explained in the email
14:52bobby_C has quit IRC
14:52
<Gadi>
basically, two for loops
14:53
an OR and an AND
14:53
code is simple, also
14:54
so, should be straightforward to read/debug
14:54
and execute
15:02
<Q-FUNK>
!loop
15:02
<ltspbot>
Q-FUNK: Error: "loop" is not a valid command.
15:02
<Q-FUNK>
*g*
15:03randra has quit IRC
15:15
<johnny>
uggh.. evil sound..
15:16Nubae1 has joined #ltsp
15:16Nubae has quit IRC
15:16warren has quit IRC
15:18makghosh has joined #ltsp
15:18warren has joined #ltsp
15:18cliebow has quit IRC
15:34* johnny kicks pulseaudio in the face
15:35vagrantc has quit IRC
15:38MacIver has quit IRC
15:39MacIver has joined #ltsp
15:42Q-FUNK has quit IRC
15:58plamengr has quit IRC
16:04ltspbot has joined #ltsp
16:05etyack has quit IRC
16:18jonnor has quit IRC
16:24Q-FUNK has joined #ltsp
16:28spectra has quit IRC
16:39mikkel has quit IRC
16:56twinprism has quit IRC
17:00mhterres has quit IRC
17:37joebaker has quit IRC
17:52Q-FUNK has quit IRC
18:24mighty-d has joined #ltsp
18:24
<mighty-d>
HI
18:25
Hi
18:25Egghead2 has quit IRC
18:26
<mighty-d>
i have a ltsp 5.0 deployment running XDMCP on hardy, everything goes well for local users, however i cant go in using ldap users (i had no problem with ldm to login with ldap users), in the log/auth.log i see a message from kdm session opened, and 4 seconds later i see how kdm closes the session, would you give me any hint please?
18:33
im getting kded cannot connect to x server ltsp192:5
18:46
<ace_suares>
anyone on how many and what type of servers I need for 65 clients ?
18:46Gadi has left #ltsp
19:00staffencasa has quit IRC
19:06
<gate_keeper__>
xeon x2 8GB ram depends from the applications that u are need to run, and huge disk space
19:06
maybe 4 will be enough
19:07gate_keeper__ has quit IRC
19:22mans has joined #ltsp
19:22
<mans>
hi all, anyone around for some help ? :)
19:58petre has joined #ltsp
20:03K_O-Gnom has quit IRC
20:05X0d_of_N0d has quit IRC
20:06X0d_of_N0d has joined #ltsp
20:06mans has left #ltsp
20:16gbolte has quit IRC
20:17japerry has quit IRC
20:50mccann has quit IRC
20:50japerry has joined #ltsp
21:03mighty-d has quit IRC
21:06X0d_of_N0d_ has joined #ltsp
21:07X0d_of_N0d has quit IRC
21:07mccann has joined #ltsp
21:26elisboa has joined #ltsp
21:52petre has quit IRC
22:10otavio has quit IRC
22:28mighty-d has joined #ltsp
22:38|Paradox| has quit IRC
22:39
<mighty-d>
hi, ive been around this problem all the night, and it seems it has nothing to do with ldap, somehow i can only get in with the UID 1000
22:42vagrantc has joined #ltsp
22:43Egyptian[Home] has quit IRC
22:50joebaker has joined #ltsp
23:05makghosh has quit IRC
23:08shogunx has quit IRC
23:12Nubae has joined #ltsp
23:14Nubae1 has quit IRC
23:17johnny has left #ltsp
23:21shogunx has joined #ltsp
23:57johnny has joined #ltsp