IRC chat logs for #ltsp on irc.freenode.net (webchat)


Channel log from 20 June 2007   (all times are UTC)

00:02Waleee has joined #ltsp
00:23Barni has joined #ltsp
00:23
<Barni>
hi all
00:23
i need help
00:24
does anybody have experience with dosemu on LTSP?
00:24
my problem it is it's eating 100% CPU
00:31garbat has joined #ltsp
00:31
<garbat>
Hello to all. I have one configuration ltsp-5 with ubuntu 7.04. To the logon of the thin client on the desktop I have the assembly of scasidisk-sda1, scasidisk-sda2. How possso to make in order to eliminate them without to remove the support for the local-devices?
00:32Waleee has quit IRC
00:38garbat has quit IRC
00:44jsgotangco has quit IRC
00:57jsgotangco has joined #ltsp
01:23sahil has joined #ltsp
01:35darrylb has quit IRC
01:43jsgotangco has quit IRC
01:59
<Barni>
i have LTSP server and when i try to ogin from thin client there is an options button, where I can select SESSION
02:00
how it is possible to manage them ?
02:00
to eliminate for example KDE and so and so
02:09muh2000_ has joined #ltsp
02:09muh2000 has quit IRC
02:26Barni has quit IRC
02:27vanya has joined #ltsp
02:54MoL0ToV has joined #ltsp
03:08jsgotangco has joined #ltsp
03:45jsgotangco has quit IRC
03:50Q-FUNK has joined #ltsp
03:54
<vporo>
where can I find scripts that create tmpfs mounts?
03:57
I am trying to add newer version of the nvidia driver for the thin client
03:59
I have it in the nfs-root but it does not help because /lib/modules/<kernel version>/volatile is mounted with tmpfs
04:02Q-FUNK has quit IRC
04:06lambda has joined #ltsp
04:08
<cyberorg>
vporo: grep bind in client init script
04:08
there is a function bind_mounts
04:12plamengr has joined #ltsp
04:12plamengr has left #ltsp
04:27vagrantc has joined #ltsp
04:33
<klausade>
vagrantc: for fun I installed ldm from sid in etch (debian-edu), it worked. Gave me a new nice reboot-button and it now displays the ip-adr of the client in the corner of ldm.
04:33
<vagrantc>
klausade: ah, good. i was hoping to test that
04:34
klausade: there's a repository on http://pkg-ltsp.alioth.debian.org/debian that's just packages pulled from sid and lenny, intended to be used with etch, hopefully
04:34
<klausade>
vagrantc: but, the icons for shutdown and reboot are not easily recognizable as such.
04:35
vagrantc: what is the sources.list url for that?
04:38
<ogra>
klausade, the new UI is a lot better, i'm just packaging it in ubuntu, should show up these days in sid then if vagrantc merges it
04:38
<vagrantc>
klausade: http://pkg-ltsp.alioth.debian.org/debian etch-ltsp-backports
04:38
klausade: and also
04:38
klausade: er, ooops
04:39
klausade: deb http://pkg-ltsp.alioth.debian.org/debian etch-ltsp-backports main
04:39
klausade: deb http://pkg-ltsp.alioth.debian.org/debian sid-ltsp main
04:39
klausade: i'll move the sid-ltsp into etch-ltsp-backports when it seems like they work with etch.
04:41
klausade: at some point we might actually have to start rebuilding the packages on etch, and maybe muddle with dependencies and such
04:54sahil has quit IRC
04:56
<vagrantc>
ogra: you're just replacing the old LDM with it, yes?
04:56
i.e. no new packages
04:56
<ogra>
right
04:56
i want to prevet NEw as long as the code isnt cleaned
04:57
we'll heave an ldm-gtk and ldm-qt in the future i guess though
04:57
<vagrantc>
maybe i'll get an upload into experimental, then
04:57
<ogra>
scott also needs to clean some stuff ... i.e. we have no themeing yet
04:57
<vagrantc>
i want to make sure 5.0.8debian2 his testing, though
04:58
<ogra>
install locations need to change etc
04:58
(i dont want the greeter in /usr/bin)
04:58
<vagrantc>
today i've got to finish my LTSP talk or i'll never get it done... most folks are away on a day trip
04:58
<ogra>
the initial package wont be the last, its just a quickie
04:58
<vagrantc>
so it's a little quieter
04:59* vagrantc silently steals bits from jammcq's talk
05:00
<ogra>
:)
05:00Q-FUNK has joined #ltsp
05:00
<vagrantc>
it's a good thing i pretty much know what i'm talking about.
05:00
<ogra>
yeah
05:01
xhmm, do i drop the whole postinst ....
05:01* ogra just adds comments ...
05:03garbat has joined #ltsp
05:04sahil has joined #ltsp
05:05
<garbat>
Hello to all. I have one configuration ltsp-5 with ubuntu 7.04. To the logon of the thin client on the desktop I have the assembly of scasidisk-sda1, scasidisk-sda2. How possso to make in order to eliminate them without to remove the support for the local-devices?
05:06
<vagrantc>
garbat: good question
05:07
only thing i can think of is maybe editing the udev rules ... but that's kind of ugly
05:09
garbat: that's a good feature request :)
05:12
jammcq: so, LTSP 1 & 2 grabbed binaries from the host system ... sort of like what tcos is doing ?
05:14
<garbat>
it remains to make only this sagacity me in order to implement the good solution of ltsp on my scholastic laboratory
05:17
I had a doubt also in order to take apart the devices local you like usb, but I have collected the info of ogra that informed me on the taking apart automatic rifle of the devices you
05:18
<vagrantc>
garbat: it's a little hard to understand you ...
05:19
<garbat>
excuse but i'm Italian and my English is insufficient...
05:20
<vagrantc>
my italian is certainly worse :)
05:22
garbat: so ... "taking apart automatic rifle" is what i'm not understanding ...
05:23muh2000__ has joined #ltsp
05:24
<garbat>
vagrantc: I had asked info for unmount local devices (usb, pen drive)...
05:26muh2000_ has quit IRC
05:26
<garbat>
...and ogra it has answered to me that the local devices unmount automatically after 2 second
05:26
<vagrantc>
yes
05:27
<garbat>
...two second ones after to have received the data
05:33tsurc has joined #ltsp
05:40garbat has quit IRC
05:41muh2000__ has quit IRC
05:47meduxa has joined #ltsp
05:49
<ogra>
vagrantc, https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/gutsy-changes/2007-June/003503.html :)
05:49
vagrantc, the branch is here: https://code.launchpad.net/~ogra/ltsp/scotts-gutsy-ogra
05:49
<vagrantc>
ogra: cool
05:50
scotts-gutsy-ogra ? :P
05:50
<ogra>
not tested yet ... i'm waiting for the package to be in the archive
05:50
well, my changes to the scotts-gutsy branch :)
05:51
<vagrantc>
well yeah... but ...
05:51
<ogra>
vagrantc, i needed to change a lot in the deps, you need to check if debian has the ubuntulooks engine, else the gtkrc must be changed to clearlooks or so
05:51* vagrantc wonders how hard it will be to merge the new ldm without all the other changes in gutsy
05:51
<ogra>
should work
05:52
the code is in two separaate dirs ...
05:52
the only stuff to merge is in debian/
05:53
<vagrantc>
if we can get some new packages in experimental before debconf is over, that would be nice
05:53
<ogra>
i really think just merging my last change should work
05:53
from gutsy-ltsp
05:54
oh i havent pushed gutsy-ltsp yet ....
05:54* ogra does so
05:55
<ogra>
seems the subscribe/mail changes feature finally started working on LP
05:55
<vagrantc>
heh
05:55meduxa has quit IRC
05:55meduxa has joined #ltsp
05:56
<ogra>
you can get mailed te whole diff or only the changelog ... nice
05:57* vagrantc is attempting to write the talk using GVIM instead of openoffice presenter
06:00edgarin has joined #ltsp
06:01
<klausade>
vagrantc: installed ldm 5.0.8debian2 just fine on etch, from sid-ltsp archive.
06:01
<vagrantc>
klausade: just server-side ?
06:01
<edgarin>
Hi people
06:01
vagrantc, Hi!!
06:01
vagrantc, you are in the debconf7?
06:01
<vagrantc>
klausade: or did you run ltsp-build-client with the --extra-mirror "http://pkg-ltsp.alioth.debian.org/debian sid-ltsp main" argument ?
06:02
edgarin: indeed!
06:02
<ogra>
he pretends to
06:02
<vagrantc>
edgarin: currently trying to put together my LTSP talk ...
06:02
<klausade>
vagrantc: installed it in the chroot.
06:02
vagrantc: ltsp-build-client is done during install of debian-edu.
06:02
<edgarin>
vagrantc, cool!! you conference have streaming?
06:02
<vagrantc>
klausade: ah.
06:03
<edgarin>
vagrantc, I want see your conference :)
06:03
<vagrantc>
edgarin: should
06:03
edgarin: today, most folks are away on a day trip ...
06:03
<edgarin>
vagrantc, ok
06:03
vagrantc, you arrived today to the debconf?
06:03
<vagrantc>
edgarin: no, been here for a while now
06:03
<edgarin>
ahh ok
06:03
vagrantc, http://streams.video.debconf.org:8000/
06:04
no have conferences :(
06:04muh2000__ has joined #ltsp
06:04
<vagrantc>
edgarin: http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel-announce/2007/06/msg00006.html
06:05
<edgarin>
vagrantc, what is the name of your conference?
06:05
<vagrantc>
edgarin: you mean talk ?
06:06
edgarin: https://penta.debconf.org/~joerg/events/22.en.html
06:06vanya has quit IRC
06:07
<edgarin>
vagrantc, umm the link don't works
06:07
:(
06:07
<vagrantc>
edgarin: it might be broken today. should be back tomorrow
06:07
<edgarin>
vagrantc, Which is the name of your conference?
06:07
<vagrantc>
edgarin: debconf7 ?
06:07
<edgarin>
vagrantc, yes
06:08
<vporo>
I'am sorry. I had some lunch and missed the probable answer to my question
06:08
<vagrantc>
ogra: not that you'd know ... but why the -0.1 directories attached to all the new ldm2 stuff ...
06:09
<ogra>
ask scott ...
06:09
as i said want a bunch of changes :)
06:09
<vagrantc>
ogra: you should merge my ldm.postinst patch to use lsb_release to determine which distro gets the default theme
06:09
<ogra>
ah, right
06:09
well, we have to redo that part anyway for the new greeter
06:10
currently there is no themeing
06:10
<vagrantc>
ah, right
06:10
heh
06:10
<ogra>
it will show up as edubuntu :P
06:10
because i didnt have a proper sized ubuntu logo around
06:10
<vagrantc>
ldm.postinst was the only obvious conflict ... there might be other more subtle ones
06:10
<ogra>
well, postinst *could* go atm ...
06:11
we'll have to add it later, but atm its fine without
06:11
even though ... we should probably just have ldm-theme packages
06:11
better than fiddling with alternatives
06:12
<vagrantc>
yeah, debian-edu is already maintaining their own theme in a separate package
06:12
<ogra>
hmm, and LDM_THEME should probably exist :)
06:12
<vagrantc>
oooh.
06:12
selecting theme on a thin-client basis ... i like that idea
06:12
<ogra>
so we could just install al of them, te last one installed being the default ... and then have an lts.conf option :)
06:13* ogra takes a break/smoke in the sun
06:13
<vagrantc>
hmmm...
06:14
well, whatever. we'll come up with something good.
06:14
<vporo>
how is the /lib/modules/<kernel version>/volatile tmpfs created for the thinclient? I would like to include a newer version of nvidia driver
06:14
<cliebow>
06:15
<vporo>
is there a howto for this?
06:21vanya has joined #ltsp
06:25muh2000__ has quit IRC
06:27
<ogra>
vporo, sudo chroot /opt/ltsp/i386 apt-get install linux-restricted-modules-386
06:28
that will make sure this dir exists and is mounted
06:28
but note that it eats at least 15M ram
06:28
(thats why we dont have it by default on ltsp clients)
06:29
<vporo>
I did that
06:29
<ogra>
well, then you have the dir, dont you ?
06:30
mounted on running clients i mean ...
06:30
<vporo>
on the server, yes
06:30
but some files can't be seen on thin client
06:30
<ogra>
they are two totally different OSes
06:30
<vporo>
yes
06:30
I know
06:31
<ogra>
did you install linux-restricted-modules-386 in the chroot ?
06:31
<vporo>
yes
06:31
<ogra>
so the tmpfs should exist on booted clients
06:31
<vporo>
/lib/modules/<kernel version>/volatile is mounted as tmpfs
06:31
<ogra>
right
06:31
<vporo>
and it does not have all the files
06:32
for some reason
06:32
<ogra>
which files ?
06:32
<vporo>
nvidia.ko for example
06:32
<ogra>
it has all restricted drivers here
06:32meduxa has quit IRC
06:33
<vporo>
since the modules are copied there from the nfs mount instead of just used live from it, where do the scripts reside that actually perform this?
06:34
if I could locate the scripts then I should be able to ifnd out why it doesn't copy the module I need
06:34
<ogra>
mtab.sh does that
06:34
grep volatile /etc/init.d/*
06:34
;)
06:34
<vporo>
ah ok, I'll have a look there then
06:35jsgotangco has joined #ltsp
06:35
<ogra>
right, that might be your prob, mtab.sh isnt used in ltsp-clients ...
06:35
/etc/mtab is linked to /proc/mounts there
06:35
so the initscrpt isnt run either ...
06:36
gutsy's new "squashfs root on nbd" implementation will change that we can use more default stuff there
06:38
did you build the nvidia driver *inside* the chroot as well ? and also did you run update-initramfs in the chroot and sudo ltsp-update-kernels outside ?
06:38
to update the initramfs bootimage ...
06:38
<vporo>
that I did not do
06:39
I only installed the package
06:39
<ogra>
not sure that helps, since the driver wont be loaded from initramfs anyway
06:39
well, the package should have run update-initramfs at the end of its install
06:40
but you still should run ltsp-update-kernels so the new initramfs gets copied from /opt/ltsp/i386/boot to /var/lib/tftpboot/ltsp/i386/
06:40
<vporo>
ok
06:41
I will try that
06:55muh2000__ has joined #ltsp
06:55jsgotangco has quit IRC
06:56
<ogra>
heh
06:56
vagrantc, did you ever look at po/Makefile in the tree ?
06:56* ogra didnt know we stole from pppoeconf :)
07:02jammcq has quit IRC
07:03parsley has joined #ltsp
07:11sep has quit IRC
07:11sep has joined #ltsp
07:16
<vagrantc>
ogra: heh.
07:16
<ogra>
hmm, changing the makefile to use the client dir as source doesnt really work well ...
07:17
unless xgettext is supposed to run at 100% CPU for half an hour
07:17
<vagrantc>
probably just need to be more specific so it doesn't look at unimportant files
07:17muh2000_ has joined #ltsp
07:18muh2000__ has quit IRC
07:36Guaraldo has joined #ltsp
07:51jammcq has joined #ltsp
08:06Blinny has joined #ltsp
08:12muh2000_ has quit IRC
08:13seveneleven has joined #ltsp
08:15seveneleven has quit IRC
08:26
<ogra>
gah, indeed i need a new ltspfs as well now with the new socket
08:29MoL0ToV has quit IRC
08:34nicoAMG has joined #ltsp
08:36
<vagrantc>
ogra: yeah, scotty updated the upstream branch
08:37
<ogra>
ah well, i did a quick fix in the old package
08:37
i need to decide if i shouldnt rather sync from debian
08:37
does ltspfs have a real maintainer there ?
08:37
<vagrantc>
we should probably increment the "upstream" version
08:37
ogra: real maintainer?
08:38
<ogra>
well, a dedicated person
08:38
<vagrantc>
ogra: it's the same as the LTSP maintainers
08:38
<ogra>
ah
08:38
<vagrantc>
so ... you know who
08:38
<ogra>
yep
08:39* vagrantc wonders about the patch from tcos to make an additional binary
08:39
<vagrantc>
binary package, that is
08:39
it doesn't hurt anything, but it's kind of ridiculous
08:39
might be hard to get through the NEW queue
08:40
<ogra>
an additional binary package ?
08:41* ogra tries to decipher that
08:41
<vagrantc>
yeah, mario proposed a patch that would add an additional binary package without the udev rules
08:41
<ogra>
to what ?
08:41
oh, that one
08:41
<vagrantc>
ltspfs
08:41
er, ltspfsd
08:41cliebow__ has joined #ltsp
08:43
<ogra>
ltspfsd-tcos you mean ?
08:43
<vagrantc>
yeah
08:43
<ogra>
that wasnt a serious suggestion
08:43
meh
08:43root__ has joined #ltsp
08:44
<ogra>
we're reading lts.conf from initramfs now ;)
08:44
so making add/remove_fstab_entry respect LOCALDEV is an option now
08:44
ah, no
08:44
not since you changed it ...
08:45
hmm
08:45
<vagrantc>
what did i change ?
08:45seveneleven has joined #ltsp
08:45
<ogra>
to default to True if ltspfsd is installed
08:45
<vagrantc>
ah, right.
08:45
<ogra>
so indeed we dont have it in the lts.conf
08:46
neither do we have the info in initramfs
08:47www has joined #ltsp
08:48www has left #ltsp
08:49MeBadMagic has joined #ltsp
08:49MeBadMagic has quit IRC
08:50www_ has joined #ltsp
08:50sbalneav has joined #ltsp
08:51
<ogra>
hmm .... the new socket architecture enables us to run gnome-cupps-add if a printer is plugged in :)
08:51
<sbalneav>
Morning all
08:51
<ogra>
s/is/gets/
08:51
!s
08:51
<ltspbot>
ogra: "s" is Scotty!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
08:51
<sbalneav>
Hey ogra!
08:51
<ogra>
https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/gutsy-changes/2007-June/003503.html
08:51
sbalneav, for you ^^ :)
08:52
sbalneav, my tree has the package stuff, just merge it
08:52
<sbalneav>
Oooo
08:52
nice! Thanks.
08:52
Should show up in tonights updates?
08:52
<ogra>
we need to talk about some smaller things like dir names and install locations still, but its in now :)
08:52
<sbalneav>
Yeah, sure.
08:52
<ogra>
its alrady in the archive
08:52
i just built the first chroot with ti
08:52
*it
08:52
<sbalneav>
I haven't even gone through the code yet and cleaned it up.
08:53
<ogra>
we have 3 months to do that :)
08:53
<sbalneav>
It's nice to see it working so well in the early stages, though.
08:53cliebow_ has quit IRC
08:53
<sbalneav>
yeah, still lots of time to get it "production stable"
08:53
<ogra>
yeah
08:53www_ is now known as seveneleven_
08:53
<ogra>
well i only see one casher so far
08:53
<sbalneav>
I'll merge in your tree now.
08:54
crasher?
08:54seveneleven_ has quit IRC
08:54
<ogra>
yup, if yu give a wrong password
08:54
<sbalneav>
oh, yeah.
08:54
I'm working on the greeter today, so we get get some proper feedback.
08:55
<ogra>
taht and the session/lang selector needs to be fixed ... and we need to glib-ify ... then its fine for gutsy imho
08:55
and then lets design a real good greeter .... ;)
08:56ogra has quit IRC
09:00
<klausade>
anyone here today running rdesktop with ltsp5?
09:00ogra has joined #ltsp
09:00
<ogra>
grmbl ...
09:00
i hate to run out of battery in the second i plug in the power again
09:02
<vagrantc>
klausade: gadi surely does
09:03
<klausade>
vagrantc: but he is not here now ...
09:04
<vagrantc>
klausade: https://code.launchpad.net/~gideon/ltsp/ltsp-gadi-screenscripts
09:05
<klausade>
vagrantc: yes, i'm trying to implement those.
09:11MeBadMagic has joined #ltsp
09:12
<sbalneav>
ogra: in your tree, you've got things like autom4te.cache, config.log, etc.
09:13
should we have that stuff under bzr, or does it matter?
09:13
<ogra>
sbalneav, its needed for building i kept them in separate commits though
09:13
if you dont want them, just leave out that revisions
09:13
<sbalneav>
Doesn't matter, I suppose.
09:14
<ogra>
well, it clutters the tree
09:14
but its the best option ... doint it at build time is way more ugly
09:14
*doing
09:15
sbalneav, the greeter needs to move out of /usr/bin ... should go into /usr/lib/ldm/greeters/ ....
09:16MeBadMagic has quit IRC
09:16
<ogra>
then we should drop the versioning in the dirnames ...
09:16cliebow__ has quit IRC
09:16
<ogra>
it gets quite ugly in packagng to have the version in there
09:16
<sbalneav>
ok
09:16
<ogra>
we also neeed to put pixmaps and gtkrc in a theme dir
09:17
/usr/share/ldm/themes/default should be proper ...
09:17
i'll make default a link to Ubuntu during packaging so we can add different themes again
09:18* vagrantc things the alternatives system wasn't so bad
09:18* vagrantc thinks
09:18
<sbalneav>
hmm
09:18
<vagrantc>
we just needed to set different defaults at package install time
09:18
<ogra>
later i'll split out ldm-greeter-gtk and ldm-greeter-gtk-themes
09:18
<sbalneav>
bzr status gives me:
09:18
pending merges:
09:18
Oliver Grawert 2007-06-20 new ldm packaging: clean up ldm-deps, add libgt...
09:18
Oliver Grawert 2007-06-20 run autogen.sh in client/ldmgtkgreet-0.1/
09:18
Oliver Grawert 2007-06-20 run autogen.sh in client/ldm2-0.1
09:19
I had a conflict with the merge.
09:19
<ogra>
indeed, you need to cherrypick
09:19
<sbalneav>
Do I re-merge to get rid of the pending perge?
09:20
<ogra>
bzr revert :)
09:20
<sbalneav>
ah, no sorry.
09:20
After I fixed the conflict, bzr commit fixed it.
09:21
<ogra>
ah
09:21
<vagrantc>
ogra: where do you run autogen.sh ?
09:21
<sbalneav>
bzr move ldm2-0.1 ldm2?
09:22
<ogra>
in the source subdirs
09:22
<vagrantc>
ogra: as part of what ?
09:22
<ogra>
sbalneav, move ldm2-0.1 ldm ?
09:22
vagrantc, a commandline i typed in ?
09:22
<vagrantc>
ogra: not in the rules file or something, good. :)
09:23
<ogra>
nah, i'd never do that :)
09:23
<sbalneav>
can't move it to ldm, that exists :)
09:23
<ogra>
a dir called ldm ?
09:23
<vagrantc>
bzr rm ldm
09:23
<sbalneav>
Are we ditching the python one?
09:23
<vagrantc>
or just ldm2, i guess ...
09:23
<ogra>
yeah
09:23
lets drop it
09:24
<vagrantc>
can always get it back, if needed.
09:24
<ogra>
its there, we can always merge it back from an old tree
09:24
<sbalneav>
How comfortable are you with my ldm?
09:24
<ogra>
i'm fine with it
09:24
<sbalneav>
vagrantc?
09:24
<vagrantc>
sbalneav: haven't touched it.
09:24
<ogra>
i dnt think he tested yet
09:24
<sbalneav>
ok, tell you what.
09:25
in my tree, I'll delete ldm, but leave the dir as ldm2
09:25
<ogra>
sbalneav, as long as it has at least the same functionallity as the old one all is fine
09:25
<vagrantc>
i'd prefer it not go into the ltsp-drivers mainline branch until it's been tested a bit more
09:25
<sbalneav>
Phhht, yeah, goes without saying :)
09:25
This code is...
09:26
<ogra>
young
09:26
<sbalneav>
What comes before alpha? :)
09:26
<ogra>
nah
09:26
alpha means partially functional
09:26
<vagrantc>
using ldm2 might save some conflicts .... just dropp the -0.1 parts, though
09:26
<sbalneav>
ok
09:26
<ogra>
its beyond alpha
09:26
<sbalneav>
I'll fix it up in my tree
09:26
<ogra>
and lest call the binary ldm
09:26
saves my one copy command during package building
09:27
(the manpage as well)
09:27
<sbalneav>
ok
09:28
<vagrantc>
sounds good to me
09:28* ogra wonders if germany moved to some tropical zone recently ...
09:28cliebow_ has joined #ltsp
09:28
<ogra>
we have one thunderstorm a day and constantly over 24°C since weeks ...
09:29
and todays is a heavy one ...
09:29* ogra sits in the dark
09:30* rjune__ lights a candle for ogra
09:32sahil has quit IRC
09:34Q-FUNK has quit IRC
09:35cliebow_ has quit IRC
09:39
<sbalneav>
ogra: ok, have a look at my tree, I think I fixed things up. removed ldm and ldm.1, got rid of the -0.1 on the dir names, fixed up the packaging in debian, etc.
09:40spectra has joined #ltsp
09:42* ogra would look if LP would react
09:43seveneleven has quit IRC
09:44cliebow_ has joined #ltsp
09:45
<ogra>
oooooh, SEXY !
09:45* ogra just noticed he got mailed the diff from LP :)
09:46
<ogra>
sbalneav, you did run autogen ?
09:46* ogra now understands why LP refuses to show the diff :)
09:48
<sbalneav>
yes, I did
09:48
Was I not supposed to?
09:51bobby_C has joined #ltsp
09:52
<ogra>
well, i didnt think about it ...
09:53
the change is >4600 lines ...
09:53
<vagrantc>
no need to maintain automatically generated files in bzr
09:53
<ogra>
would be nice to run autoconf separately with its own commit
09:53
vagrantc, well bzr-release should probably rather do it
09:53
<vagrantc>
ogra: exactly.
09:54
ogra: which is harder to do since it's not a single bzr branch now ...
09:54
but probably not crazy difficult, i guess.
09:54
<ogra>
nah, its easy
09:54* vagrantc awaits the code
09:54
<ogra>
just run autogen in the dirs before you build the source package
09:55
<vagrantc>
by hand?
09:55
<ogra>
debdiff gets ugly but hey, we have bzr :)
09:55
nah after bzr export
09:55
<sbalneav>
That's why I had bzr removed things like configure, autom4te.cache, etc in my tree.
09:55
<ogra>
sbalneav, well, we need it for the package building
09:55
so it has to happen at aome point
09:56
usually if you do normal packaging you run autogen before packing up the orig.tar.gz of the source
09:56
<vagrantc>
sbalneav: it's the kind of thing that should be run whenever you release an upstream tarball.
09:56
<sbalneav>
right, but can't you, in the packaging phase, run autogen.sh first? Silly question maybe, My packaging knowlege is a little hazy
09:56muh2000_ has joined #ltsp
09:56
<vagrantc>
sbalneav: like, when you build a package ?
09:56
<ogra>
well if it goes into bzr-release all is fine for us
09:56
<sbalneav>
right
09:56
when you build the package.
09:57
<vagrantc>
sbalneav: can't have it automatically happen, or else you might end up with different make files on different build machines
09:57
<sbalneav>
ah, ok
09:57
<ogra>
sbalneav, apart from that buildd admins hate you for such stuff :)
09:58
<sbalneav>
Gimme time, I'll get it all figured out :)
09:58
<vagrantc>
so it needs to happen before the source tarball is built.
09:58
<ogra>
when d we run update-po ? it should go into the same loop
09:59
<vagrantc>
probably so, yeah.
09:59
<whiprush>
dang, new ldm already?
09:59
that was fast
09:59
<jammcq>
whiprush: these guys aren't slackers, eh?
09:59
they perform magic in front of our eyes
09:59
<vagrantc>
i'm a slacker. i still haven't finished my talk.
10:00
<whiprush>
jammcq: it's that canadian work ethic.
10:00
<ogra>
whiprush, pfft ... ldm ... we dropped nfs ... and nobody noticed ...
10:00
...new ldm ...
10:00* ogra shakes head
10:00
<whiprush>
heh
10:00
I haven't been following gutsy as closely, just the changelogs.
10:00
<ogra>
the bling is all you users see
10:00
<whiprush>
So I didn't notice you dropped NFS though.
10:00
<ogra>
:)
10:00
<whiprush>
jammcq: it's that german work ethic.
10:01
better? :)
10:01
<ogra>
heh
10:04
sbalneav, so what do you think about a udev rule for usblp that checks throught teh tunnel if the printer is configured in the session, if not it runs gnome-cups-add through the tunnel :)
10:04
we can do so many beautiful things now :)
10:05
<jammcq>
ogra: what happens if you re-generate the squashfs image while people are using it?
10:05
<ogra>
hmm, we could even have a fifo to listen on on te server side and sned shutdown commands from the gnome logut dialog
10:05
jammcq, nothing until you kill the nbd-server
10:05
<vagrantc>
jammcq: if you remove the file while it's being used, the inode remains until the file is closed
10:06
<ogra>
running servers serve the old one from ram
10:06
newly started ones serve the new one
10:06
<jammcq>
so.... let's say I want to make a change for one client in the middle of the day. how would I do that?
10:06
<ogra>
there is some inconsistency here but bearable imho
10:06
<vagrantc>
jammcq: gotta reboot the client
10:06
<jammcq>
yeah, that one client. but what about all the other clients?
10:07
<vagrantc>
leave them running
10:07
<ogra>
jammcq, which change would that be ?
10:07
<jammcq>
let's say I want to change something in lts.conf ?
10:07
<ogra>
i mean you will really only regenerate the image if you fiddle with the packages
10:07
<vagrantc>
it's a bummer that changing lts.conf requires regenerating the squashfs
10:07
<ogra>
jammcq, that lives in the tftp root nowadays ;)
10:07
<vagrantc>
hrm?
10:07
<jammcq>
and NOT in the image?
10:08
<ogra>
right ;)
10:08
<jammcq>
hmm
10:08
<ogra>
initramfs pulls it from tftp if it finds it and copies it to /etc/lts.conf in the client fs
10:08
<jammcq>
but... IF you change the image, we'd better make sure that the old image gets renamed, and the new image gets put in place. rather than the new image stomping over the top of the old image
10:08
<ogra>
if you put one into the chroot and rebuild the squashfs it will be used as well
10:09
the tftp file overrides the one in the squashfs, by default we dont have one in there,if you create oen it will be used
10:09
jammcq, it gets built as img.tmp and in the end gets moved to .img
10:10
<sbalneav>
ogra: Hmm, sounds interesting
10:10
<jammcq>
ogra: but what happens to the original?
10:10
<ogra>
i'm pondering to write a little monitor that checks for nbd-servers and waits until the last one exitst
10:10
jammcq, it gets overwritten
10:10
<jammcq>
overwritten? or the old one gets removed and the new one gets created?
10:10
<ogra>
by moving the new one over it
10:11
<jammcq>
i'm thinking mv file1 file2
10:11
<ogra>
yes
10:11
thats what happens
10:11
<jammcq>
if file2 already exists, it gets 'unlinked' first
10:11
so a new inode number gets allocated
10:11
which we'd want
10:11
if you did cp file1 file2
10:11
that could be real trouble
10:11
<ogra>
right, thats why i dont do it ;)
10:12
<jammcq>
cool
10:13* jammcq wonders how you guys got to be so smart
10:13
<ogra>
the only prob left with the nbd stuff is keeping the NBDPORT parameter in the pxe config if you run ltsp-update-kernels
10:13
i havent foud the best way to keep that value yet
10:14
and i'm not happy with the keepalive stuff, i think i'll add a pinger to nbdrootd
10:15
the default timeout value is 2h ... thats way to long ... if you change that value you break other protocols which i dont want ...
10:19
<vagrantc>
but it does time out after 2 hours ?
10:19
<ogra>
yes
10:19
<vagrantc>
well, that's better than never
10:19
<ogra>
but i dont want to have nbd-server porcesses hanging around for 2h
10:19
<vagrantc>
ogra: how do you activate it?
10:19
because i've had reports of un-used processes running for days
10:20tsurc has quit IRC
10:20
<ogra>
if [ -z "$(grep nbdrootd /etc/hosts.allow)" ];then
10:20
echo 'nbdrootd: ALL: keepalive' >>/etc/hosts.allow
10:20
fi
10:20
<vagrantc>
server-side ?
10:20
<ogra>
yes
10:20
its a tcpd option, indeed server side
10:20vanya has quit IRC
10:21
<ogra>
but i'd love to get rid of that :)
10:21
a pinger is more elegant and i can set the timeout myself
10:22
<vagrantc>
ogra: yes, well, sounds like meeting the nbd develper has at least gotten that on wouter's todo list
10:22
<ogra>
yeah
10:22
<vagrantc>
ogra: debian-edu's hoping to release this month, so can't wait for a pinger ...
10:22
<ogra>
indeed
10:22
they should go with nfs
10:23
<vagrantc>
yes, but they could use it for nbd swap
10:23
<ogra>
ah, for swap you mean ...
10:23
<vagrantc>
the timeout
10:23
yeah
10:23
<ogra>
well the above should work
10:23
<vagrantc>
s,nbdrootd,nbdswapd, ?
10:23
<ogra>
just change nbdrootd to nbdswapd
10:23
nbd-server should work as well, we should probably use that
10:24
as the generic name both use
10:25* ogra ponders if we should tweak vm.swappiness
10:26
<sbalneav>
ogra: grep nbdrootd /etc/hosts.allow > /dev/null || echo 'nbdrootd: ALL: keepalive' >>/etc/hosts.allow
10:26
one liner :)
10:27muh2000_ has quit IRC
10:27
<ogra>
sbalneav, thanks ! :)
10:28
did anyone of you play with vm.swappiness before ?
10:29
<sbalneav>
heh
10:29
If anyone said that to me in a bar, I'd punch 'em :)
10:29
no.
10:29
<ogra>
lol
10:30
its defaulting to 60
10:30
<sbalneav>
I've never played with my swappiness :)
10:30
<ogra>
apparently lower values cause the kernel to less consider about swapping
10:30
<jammcq>
he said 'swappiness', not 'floppyness'
10:30
<ogra>
i dont now if it affects anything if you dont have swap at all
10:31
<sbalneav>
Isn't there some overcommit thing it's good to turn off/on?
10:31
<ogra>
but apparently lowering the value alone shall make the kernel 'think' less
10:31
<sbalneav>
Can't remember which
10:32
<ogra>
sbalneav, what about an aplay command like gdm has for the greeter ?
10:32
<sbalneav>
Sure.
10:32
<ogra>
that way we know the sound HW is working ... thats great for debugging as well
10:33
<sbalneav>
I think we should change the backround image to a group shot of LTSP devels, and the startup sould should be Ollie and Jammcq singing a duet of "Love me tender" :)
10:34
<ogra>
oki
10:34* ogra starts his gimp
10:34
<sbalneav>
THAT would get the bloggers going :)
10:35
<jammcq>
hey, i'm all for it
10:35
<ogra>
heh
10:35efra has joined #ltsp
10:35
<jammcq>
get audio recording working on a thin client, and I'm there, dude
10:35
<ogra>
i'm against the singing
10:35
but i can add the wallpaer for sure :)
10:35
*wallapaper
10:35
do you think warren would be upset ?
10:36
<sbalneav>
Is there a way to get the wallpaper loading from the rc file?
10:36
<ogra>
or anyone else on the last group pic ?
10:36
<sbalneav>
we're hardcoded to bg.png
10:36
<ogra>
no
10:36
lets rather have a .theme file or so where we define the values
10:37muh2000_ has joined #ltsp
10:37
<ogra>
the gtkrc should really only define the gtk theme stuff ... colors button themes icons etc
10:37
and it should go into the them dir as well ... its a per theme file
10:37
<sbalneav>
Keeping in mind I know diddly bupkiss about GTK programming, is there a set of GTK+ calls that does that?
10:38
theming I mean
10:38
<ogra>
reading a gtkrc ?
10:38
<sbalneav>
no, a .theme file
10:38
<ogra>
no
10:38
<sbalneav>
or is that something we implement "the hard way" :)
10:38
<ogra>
thats something we have to parse
10:38
<sbalneav>
ok
10:38
<ogra>
well its trivial ... just key value pairs
10:38
and fill variables
10:39
<sbalneav>
Thought there was a "gtk_use_a_really_long_function_name_to_load_a_theme_file()" function :)
10:39
<ogra>
i'D be even fine with hardcoded filenames
10:39* vagrantc thwacks ogra
10:39
<ogra>
we will switch themes through setting a link to the right dir
10:39
thats how it worked before and nobody complained
10:39
<vagrantc>
ah
10:39
ok
10:40
<ogra>
i dont think it hurts to dictate a naming scheme for that
10:40
<vagrantc>
no, no.
10:40
that's fine
10:40
<ogra>
your logo should be called logo.png, the wallpaper is bg.png
10:40
etc etc
10:41
i think even gdm does it that way
10:42
<vagrantc>
would be nice if the theme only specified how it differed from the defaults ... i.e. shared reboot.png and such
10:43
<ogra>
sbalneav, just install all theme stuff to /usr/share/ldm/themes/default ... during packagig i'll mv default Ubuntu && ln -s Ubuntu default
10:43
and leave the hardcoded names ...
10:43
other themes can then install in that dir and just change the link
10:44
(that dir being /usr/share/ldm/themes)
10:44
<sbalneav>
k
10:45
<ogra>
vagrantc, LDM_THEME could just be a call to update-alternatives :)
10:45
from ltsp-client-setup
10:45
<sbalneav>
ah, gtk_vbox_new(..., 5) doesn't mean that there's 5 elements in the vbox, it means there's 5 pixels spacing AROUND the elements in the vbox.
10:45
That makes more sense
10:45
<ogra>
yeah
10:50john_s has joined #ltsp
10:51
<john_s>
hi all
10:54
<cliebow_>
sbalneav:you have a gtk book??
11:00fernando1 has quit IRC
11:04muh2000__ has joined #ltsp
11:04muh2000_ has quit IRC
11:05ibt has quit IRC
11:09
<sbalneav>
cliebow_ yeah, I have a gtk+ book
11:09
http://www.amazon.com/Gtk%2B-Programming-C-Syd-Logan/dp/0130142646/ref=sr_1_1/104-9370698-7299963?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1182355647&sr=8-1
11:09
this one.
11:20
<ogra>
"The ultimate guide to building graphical Linux(r)/UNIX(r) applications with Gtk+ 1.2!"
11:20
sbalneav, you should upgrade :)
11:20
1.2 is last century
11:20
or was it two centuries ago ?
11:21
<sbalneav>
last century.
11:21
But it's better than nothing :)
11:21
<ogra>
many things are totally different in 2.x
11:21
lists and trees etc ...
11:25
<cliebow_>
shrubs
11:27* vagrantc is still composing the talk
11:27
<vagrantc>
time to eat, i think.
11:31Guaraldo has quit IRC
11:39muh2000_ has joined #ltsp
11:39muh2000__ has quit IRC
11:40C1ph3r has joined #ltsp
11:42* ogra thinks its time to blog and call for testers
11:46C1ph3r has quit IRC
11:46C1ph3r has joined #ltsp
11:48C1ph3r has joined #ltsp
11:54lambda has quit IRC
11:56fernando1 has joined #ltsp
11:58C1ph3r has quit IRC
12:02edgarin has quit IRC
12:05mhterres has joined #ltsp
12:05
<mhterres>
hello people
12:06
hey jammcq
12:06
hi sbalneav
12:11
<john_s>
hi
12:16FernandoMM has joined #ltsp
12:25
<vagrantc>
sbalneav: did i ever show you: http://qa.debian.org/developer.php?login=sbalneav@ltsp.org
12:26Guaraldo has joined #ltsp
12:27
<cliebow_>
vagrantc, no looking...
12:27
<vagrantc>
cliebow_: hrm?
12:27
<ogra>
whee
12:27
<cliebow_>
what should i be loking at?
12:28
whee!!
12:28parsley has quit IRC
12:28
<vagrantc>
cliebow_: but you're not sbalneav :P
12:29cottima has joined #ltsp
12:30
<cliebow_>
must be the heat..
12:30
i thought for some reason that was directed at me..
12:32
<cottima>
cliebow_ I hope I am not speaking out of line. Just a lazy man's opinion
12:32
<cliebow_>
perhaps i just wanted it to be directed at me..
12:32
cottima: not out of line at all..
12:32
<john_s>
This sure is a friendly list
12:33
<cliebow_>
john_s:you digest that script i sent ok?
12:33
<john_s>
Ha! It's pretty deep. I gave it a first reading yesterday. Iam going to give it another today
12:34
<cliebow_>
when you are ready i ll ship the useradd pieces
12:34
<john_s>
I appreciate it. I am not a coder but it is well documented so I can follow along,
12:34
Thanks.
12:34
<cliebow_>
not sure "well documented" is quite right..there is still a little flukiness with the sambasid i never resolved
12:41muh2000_ has quit IRC
12:41muh2000_ has joined #ltsp
12:43
<john_s>
cliebow: I think one of the problems for me is finding someone a good howto from someone else who as gone before. I think I must be trying to do something a little bit unusual or stupid
12:44
<cliebow_>
yeah maybe..most people just set up a domain and join everything to it
12:45
<john_s>
yeah. I think that's pretty gutsy since it'd be pretty hard to back out of it if you messed up
12:45
<cliebow_>
matching uid/gid with a windows domain could be the pits..
12:45
<john_s>
Well it seems like winbind takes care of that part
12:46
but its getting that plus the all the rest in something that scales, AND which is not a complete migration, which seems not to be well documented
12:47
I guess if I figure it out, I'll document it :-)
12:47
<cliebow_>
i sandboxed for quite a while before i put mine in production..and then realized i did not have a good handle on groups..there were some dicy moments there indeed
12:48
<john_s>
I bet. I wish I could go to the conference, since I think it would really set me straight on a lot of things.
12:49
I talked with a fellow who did several schools for the Atlanta SD
12:49
<rjune__>
cliebow_: !
12:50
<john_s>
A very nice and helpful fella, and it seemed like he had to resort to rsyncing the data rather than putting it in ldap.
12:50
so perhaps this is much harder than my tiny brain conceived.
12:50
<cliebow_>
rjune_, Hey!!! how's it going!
12:50
<rjune__>
I'm breathing
12:50
<john_s>
anyway, i'm going to do some more reading. Thanks. Bye
12:51parsley has joined #ltsp
12:51
<cliebow_>
still in a school..or did you move up?
12:54
rjune__:where are you working now?
12:54
<rjune__>
I'm building routers.
12:54
http://www.imagestream.com
12:55
<Blinny>
Booyah
12:55
<cliebow_>
cool!..im trying to get in as systems admin at the local college...
12:55
<rjune__>
viele gluck1
12:55
!
12:56
<cliebow_>
been six weeks now they havnt made a decision..im still in the running though
12:56mopey has joined #ltsp
12:56
<rjune__>
that would be very cool
12:56
would sysadmin be head of it at the college?
12:57
<cliebow_>
there is an director of it..
12:57
<rjune__>
ah well
12:57
<cliebow_>
so not head honcho..
12:59
<rjune__>
like you need that stress
13:03ibt has joined #ltsp
13:09muh2000_ has quit IRC
13:10muh2000_ has joined #ltsp
13:23
<sbalneav>
vagrantc: No! How come I'm in debian?
13:23
I'm not a dd
13:28
<vagrantc>
sbalneav: when i asked if you wanted to be listed on the ltspfs team a while back, you said yes. :P
13:28
<sbalneav>
lol
13:28
cool
13:28
<vagrantc>
sbalneav: you still would have to find someone to sponsor uploads, though
13:28
<sbalneav>
Well, I know ONE guy :)
13:28* vagrantc has to get sponsors too
13:28
<ogra>
really ?
13:29
who would that be ?
13:29
<sbalneav>
Oh, maybe I don't know someone. :)
13:29
Thought vagrantc could :)
13:29* ogra will go for DD with ltsp-manager
13:30
<ogra>
one i got that working in ubuntu i'll push it to debian and make my NM with it i think
13:30
*once
13:30
<vagrantc>
ogra: you're already on the ltsp/ltspfs team
13:30
<ogra>
i know
13:30
but that doesnt make me a DD
13:31
or am i able ot upload without DD status nowadays ?
13:31
<vagrantc>
no, but if you start doing more work on debian ltsp, then that would count for NM
13:31* ogra wonders if he's not doing enough for denian-ltsp yet
13:31
<ogra>
*debian
13:32
<vagrantc>
well, your work for debian-ltsp is kind of by way of your work on ubuntu mostly, no ?
13:32
<ogra>
and ?
13:32
<vagrantc>
though you do comment on bugs fairly ofte
13:32
n
13:32
<ogra>
you still merge my pulseaudio code and use it in the future in debain ...
13:32
<vagrantc>
heh
13:33
<ogra>
wow, i said debian twice in the last three sentences and managed to fail spelling both times
13:33
tsk
13:33
<vagrantc>
you're going to have to learn how to spell debian to make it through NM
13:33
<cliebow_>
still on that classmate?
13:34
<ogra>
cliebow, lol, no, there i typed better just had flipped keys
13:35
<vagrantc>
y and z, is it?
13:35
<ogra>
yeah
13:35
<vagrantc>
french keyboards are *evil*
13:35
<ogra>
but the p is also on a wrird place
13:35
*weird
13:35
yeah, french keyboards are a cipher mechanism in themselves
13:36
<cliebow_>
do that through update-manager?
13:36
<ogra>
i'D try to, yes
13:36
<cliebow_>
jeez:love to have ppc version 8~)
13:44* vagrantc eyes up experimental
13:44
<cliebow_>
i am way impressed,even more so than usual with what you guys have put together..seemingly in the last few days.,..
13:44
<vagrantc>
ogra: what was that one ubuntu-specific dependency for the new ldm we would have to change ?
13:44
<ogra>
the ubuntulooks theme engine
13:44
<vagrantc>
gtk2-engines-ubuntulooks
13:45
<ogra>
i *think* its in sid, but i'm not sure
13:45
<vagrantc>
hrm.
13:45
<ogra>
take clearlooks if you are uncertain
13:45
and change it in te gtkrc file as well
13:45
*the
13:45
<vagrantc>
it's in sid
13:45
<ogra>
ah, good
13:45
<vagrantc>
0.9.12-1
13:45
<ogra>
any version should do
13:46
the theme is not using anything special
13:46
<vagrantc>
ok
13:47
<ogra>
<-- break ... now really until the edubuntu meeting ....
13:48
<cottima>
would someone paste bin kernel-parameters.txt?
13:49
sorry wrong channel!
13:54
<cliebow_>
here goes..to gutsy
13:57
<jammcq>
Qiot
13:57
heh
13:57jammcq has quit IRC
14:13
<mopey>
Does anyone know how to get usb thumbsticks working on the thin clients?
14:13
<vagrantc>
mopey: which distro ?
14:13
<mopey>
I have a feisty server with a vanilla 'apt-get install ltsp-server-standalone' setup
14:14
<vagrantc>
!ubuntu
14:14
<ltspbot>
vagrantc: "ubuntu" is a Debian based GNU/Linux distrubution that includes a Ubuntu specific version of LTSP. It can be found at http://www.ubuntulinux.org. to install ltsp on ubuntu: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/UbuntuLTSP/LTSPQuickInstall
14:15
<mopey>
Right. So it's installed. But the clients don't recognize sub thumb sticks.
14:15
*usb
14:15
<vagrantc>
yeah, i was looking for more docs from that page ...
14:15
mopey: is your user in the fuse group?
14:16
<mopey>
Good question. Let me check.
14:18
I don't even have a fuse group on the server. But I have one on the client I think and the user isn't in the group.
14:19
<vagrantc>
is ltspfs installed on the server ?
14:20
<mopey>
no, but I am installing it now.
14:20
<vagrantc>
that'll help a lot :)
14:23
add the user to the fuse group, logout and log back in ...
14:24lns has joined #ltsp
14:24
<lns>
hey everyone
14:25
<mopey>
cool. I'll give it a try. Thanks vagrantc, you just saved me a ton of time.
14:25mopey has quit IRC
14:26
<lns>
I'm using a really neat thin client from a vendor of mine, but i'm having issues booting via PXE on 2 seperate, known working LTSP servers. I think I've nailed it down to the fact that the PXE bootrom's GUID is set to all zeros (0000-000- etc) - can anyone verify that this is an issue? The PXE rom gets a valid DHCP address, but never gets to bootstrap via TFTP (gets an "TFTP: Open timeout" msg)
14:27
I have verified 2 other, seperate clients boot successfully.
14:33FernandoMM has quit IRC
14:38Blinny has quit IRC
14:45jammcq has joined #ltsp
14:45
<vagrantc>
ogra: well, the new LDM builds fine on sid
14:45
no idea if it works
14:45
we lost our test machines when they had debian day :(
14:47ace_suares has joined #ltsp
14:48nicoAMG has quit IRC
14:51mopey has joined #ltsp
14:51
<vagrantc>
mopey: any luck?
14:51
<mopey>
sort of.
14:51
It mounts the local cd, but still not the usb.
14:51
<vagrantc>
hmmmm.
14:52
usb stick works on a normal machine ?
14:52
<mopey>
yes.
14:53
and the common usb stuff is installed on the clients. ie usbutils
14:53
<vagrantc>
anything in /media/USERNAME ?
14:53lambda has joined #ltsp
14:53
<mopey>
Yes, the cdrom, but no usb.
14:54seb_brice has joined #ltsp
14:54
<vagrantc>
ok ...
14:55
<mopey>
I have also tried on more than one client, and more than one usb port, so I think the hardware is fine.
14:55
<vagrantc>
usually USB sticks work fine ... it's the other things we tend to see problems with ...
14:55
but if the CDROM is working ... that's odd.
14:56
shows that ltspfs is working on some level...
14:56
mopey: you've tried with a freshly booted terminal ?
14:56
<mopey>
yes. I didn't reboot the server though.
14:57
<vagrantc>
can't imagine rebooting the server would change it
14:57
<mopey>
Hey, it works with Windows ;)
14:57
I mean needlessly rebooting.
14:57
<vagrantc>
heh
14:58
hmm... i'm not at my best at the moment, or i'd surely have some other ideas what to look at ...
14:58
spent all day writing an LTSP talk
14:58
<jammcq>
vagrantc: did you get the presentation I emailed you?
14:59
<vagrantc>
jammcq: yes. very helpful
14:59
<jammcq>
cool
14:59
<vagrantc>
jammcq: though this talk has a little different character, i think ...
14:59
<jammcq>
after sending it, I realized I should have just put it up on the website, and sent you the link
14:59
<vagrantc>
heh
14:59
<jammcq>
yes, i'm sure it's a very different audience
14:59
but there may be something useful you can harvest. at least the group picture :)
15:00
<vagrantc>
jammcq: so ... just to make sure i got it ... both ltsp 1 & 2 grabbed binaries off the host system ? sort of like what tcos does ?
15:00
jammcq: and ltsp 3 built the chroot using rpm packages ?
15:00
<jammcq>
umm, 1 and 2 stole binaries from the host you were installing on
15:00
<vagrantc>
right
15:01
<jammcq>
with ltsp-3, I stole the binaries from MY redhat 7.x system and tarballed them for distribution
15:01
ltsp-4 is the first one where we actually compiled stuff
15:01
<vagrantc>
yeah, i get LTSP 4 ... i'm still a little hazy on the others, though.
15:02
ok... got it
15:02
i think
15:02
it's not a major part of the talk, anyways.
15:03
just wanted to outline where we'd been and why we're going where we're going
15:06
jammcq: i'm using gvim as a presentation program :)
15:07
<sbalneav>
Cripes, and here I've been using OpenOffice.org for that.
15:07
:)
15:07
<vagrantc>
it was too complicated
15:07
to use openoffice
15:08
<jammcq>
too complex?
15:08
<vagrantc>
yeah, i couldn't figure out how to add text in under 5 minutes
15:08
so i gave up
15:08
gvim looks quite nice, really.
15:09
<jammcq>
how is gvim gonna display the group photo? as ascii art ?
15:09
<vagrantc>
heh
15:09
jammcq: you got a copy of that group photo somewhere else ? or is there an easy way to extract it?
15:09
i'll just pop up the group photo with another program
15:09
<jammcq>
umm, I have it here
15:09
<ogra>
vagrantc, http://people.ubuntu.com/~ogra/detroit_hackfest_pics/
15:10
<jammcq>
I'll put it on ltsp.org
15:10
<vagrantc>
heh
15:10
<jammcq>
yeah, get it from Ogra
15:10
that's where I got it :)
15:10
besides, you are closer to him than me right now
15:11
<vagrantc>
i'm so hunched over
15:11
<whiprush>
I love how scottie has a beer in the first pic
15:11
and no one else does
15:11cliebow_ has quit IRC
15:11
<ogra>
heh
15:11
<jammcq>
yeah, that's the one
15:12
typical canadian
15:19* vagrantc chose one of the later pictures with more people
15:20
<ogra>
the last three are pretty blurry
15:20Q-FUNK has joined #ltsp
15:20
<vagrantc>
well, i can't see very well anyways
15:21
<ogra>
but the projector probably can :)
15:46GodFather has joined #ltsp
15:46mopey has quit IRC
15:54ogra_ has joined #ltsp
16:02Guaraldo has left #ltsp
16:08nicoAMG has joined #ltsp
16:09ogra has quit IRC
16:09ogra_ is now known as ogra
16:11muh2000_ has quit IRC
16:12muh2000_ has joined #ltsp
16:20cottima has quit IRC
16:26Q-FUNK has quit IRC
16:29
<sbalneav>
On later, cya
16:29sbalneav has quit IRC
16:35mopey has joined #ltsp
16:42C1ph3r has joined #ltsp
16:42vagrantc has quit IRC
16:43cliebow has quit IRC
16:46
<john_s>
hi all
16:47
my question now is if you had to do an ltsp install and weren't looking to mess with it again for a couple of years would you base it on lts 6.06 or fiesty or some other?
16:48cliebow has joined #ltsp
16:48
<john_s>
i.e would you go with ltsp 4.2 or with the integrated feisty approach?
16:53
ok and on other interesting news it seem like the net idmap command has a tool for migragting a winbindd_idmap.tdb to an ldap db or so it is alleged
16:55Egyptian[Home] has quit IRC
17:02mhterres has quit IRC
17:04rjune__ has quit IRC
17:04rjune__ has joined #ltsp
17:08jammcq has quit IRC
17:13C1ph3r has quit IRC
17:14GodFather has quit IRC
17:19gonzaloaf_work has joined #ltsp
17:21vagrantc has joined #ltsp
17:21str4nd has quit IRC
17:24
<cliebow>
john_s:i am certainly going to sandbox gutsy and the newest improve first chance..
17:24
in ltsp5 ubuntu
17:27
<whiprush>
I have a few gutsy servers as well I am messing with.
17:27
But my production stuff will remain 6.06 for now.
17:27
<vagrantc>
that's antique in the world of LTSP
17:27
<whiprush>
I know
17:27
I tell you, sometimes I just want to dist-upgrade that thing in place.
17:28
vagrantc: I'll make up for it the next LTS.
17:29
<john_s>
vagrantc: what do you mean
17:29
?
17:29
<vagrantc>
john_s: the LTSP in ubuntu's 6.06 release is missing a lot of functionality
17:29
<whiprush>
john_s: ltsp5 has developed so much this past year that 6.06 is pretty old.
17:30
<john_s>
yes I understand. Thanks. What do you mean you will make up for that?
17:30
<whiprush>
it doesn't do like, usb keys on the client and all that gee-whiz stuff
17:30
<john_s>
is my question, i guess?
17:30
<whiprush>
oh
17:30
that means I'll upgrade whenever the next ubuntu LTS release is
17:30
<john_s>
ok. Well like 2011 right?
17:30
<whiprush>
I was hoping for next spring actually.
17:31
the support for 6.06 goes out that far, but they'll release other ones in the meantime
17:31
<john_s>
oh, hmm
17:31
ok. i see.
17:32
I sort of got 4.2 working the way I wanted it to usb/sound etc but I thought I ought to go where LTSP is going
17:32
but perhaps I am pushing this too fast
17:32bobby_C has quit IRC
17:32
<john_s>
I want to have whatever i do in place by the end of august
17:32
<whiprush>
working always beats the unknown. :)
17:32
<john_s>
good point
17:33
and I'll have a lot of folks judging linux by that choice
17:33
:-)
17:33
<whiprush>
though if 18 months of support is fine with you then there's nothing wrong with feisty
17:34
<john_s>
also a good point. That's my fallback position. But my main concern right now is getting data into LDAP
17:34nicoAMG has quit IRC
17:34
<john_s>
or dumping it as a bad idea and relying on winbind/AD as I have been.
17:34
<whiprush>
and to be honest any problems I have aren't usually ltsp-related. They're more like "Help, I can't find Word." and that kind of stuff
17:35
<john_s>
I have had significant problems with printing
17:35
it sucks
17:35
<whiprush>
I was using libnss-ldap but I'm moving over to winbind myself
17:35
<john_s>
interesting
17:35
why the move?
17:35
<whiprush>
windbind caches logins
17:35
<john_s>
so it would be faster and less network intensive?
17:36efra has quit IRC
17:36
<john_s>
but wouldn't that info sit in ldap?
17:36
<whiprush>
well, I manage all my stuff centrally so was looking for one solution for everything.
17:36
including laptops
17:36
and jeremy allison from samba convinced me that it's the new hotness for connecting to AD.
17:37
<john_s>
winbind?
17:37
<whiprush>
yeah
17:37
<john_s>
what do you do when you have several linux servers using winbind for auth though?
17:38
then those uid/sid mappings are local to the server, right?
17:38
<whiprush>
they all just auth off the domain controller
17:38
<john_s>
so people can share
17:38
<whiprush>
I don't know, samba kind of does everything for you.
17:38
<john_s>
yes but doesn't winbind cache it locally and generate a uid to match the sid?
17:38
ok
17:38
<whiprush>
I just did kerberos then winbind.
17:38
<john_s>
fair enough
17:39
<whiprush>
followed the page-long howto and it all just works
17:39
<john_s>
there are defiantly a lot of moving parts!
17:39
<whiprush>
yeah
17:39
<john_s>
I wish there was someone out my way doing this, cause I would chew their ear off over a coffee
17:40
<whiprush>
once it's all on the AD and kerberized it's a dream though
17:40
<john_s>
I have a lot of questions that would be great to bounce of some other person who had sort of been there and done that
17:40
<whiprush>
all the thin clients print to the right printers
17:40
all the shares are all transparent to the users and everything
17:41
<john_s>
Kewl. Well I guess I sort of have that situation now, but it doesn't scale for me
17:41
do you use windows unix services to handle the posix side of stuff?
17:41
<whiprush>
yeah
17:41
it's all built into 2k3 now
17:41
it's just a checkbox on install.
17:41
<john_s>
ah with sp2
17:41
<whiprush>
yep
17:42
<john_s>
and how did you assign the uid stuff, or does it sort of do it itself?
17:42mopey has quit IRC
17:42
<whiprush>
it sort of does it by itself
17:42
we set a range and that was it
17:42
<john_s>
hm and then you just sorta pointed your smb.conf to use it as the backend?
17:42
<whiprush>
I didn't need to do an smb.conf
17:42
for the ltsp server
17:43
just kerberos and then "net join ads blah blah"
17:43
<john_s>
ahh, and the range is assigned on the windows side?
17:43
<whiprush>
I /think/ so.
17:43
<john_s>
dag.
17:44
It sounds so easy compared to what I have been trying to do
17:44
<whiprush>
let me find the samba doc I was using
17:44
<john_s>
I will have to think about that
17:44
yes please.
17:44
I'd appreciate it
17:44
<whiprush>
http://www.onnoot.com/wiki/how_to_join_ubuntu_samba_to_a_windows_2003_active_directory_domain
17:45
oops, I was wrong about the smb.conf piece
17:46
<john_s>
:-)
17:46
<whiprush>
http://wiki.samba.org/index.php?title=Samba_%26_Active_Directory&redirect=no
17:46
this is the more canonical document
17:46
you need a newer samba to do this though, so don't even try it in dapper.
17:46ace_suares has quit IRC
17:47
<john_s>
thanks
17:48
The part at the end about SP2 in AD is a little sparse!
17:48
:-)
17:48
<whiprush>
the only real thing I want to do is do NFS4 for home directories
17:48
<john_s>
I wish they had detailed the setup there
17:48
well that's about what i want at the end of the day
17:48
<whiprush>
as long as you install the unix stuff for it there's really no config on that side
17:48
<john_s>
I just want a central authority for linux based services
17:49
<whiprush>
you can even use the windows groups in /etc/sudoers
17:49ace_suares has joined #ltsp
17:49
<whiprush>
%Domain Admins ALL=(ALL) ALL
17:49
that freaks people out.
17:49ace_suares has quit IRC
17:49
<john_s>
Ok, I looked at it back when it was an add on and there were a lot of mapping to be done.
17:49
<whiprush>
yeah
17:49
we used to do that
17:49
that was a real pain in the ass
17:50
<john_s>
gee man. Well as soon as school is out for the year I'll patch up the DC and try this out
17:50
<whiprush>
people might hate MS, but they did a real nice job with R2 and getting unix support in there.
17:50
<john_s>
I sorta feel like a traitor
17:50
yeah
17:50
<whiprush>
I can use the windows tools to change people's shell and everything. It's nuts.
17:50ace_suares has joined #ltsp
17:50
<john_s>
I just worry that they might break it in some way and then I wouldn't be able to figure out what to do
17:51
thanks whiprush I appreciate your help
17:52
one last question, do you provide any services like webdev or try to authenticate other ldap aware services of the 2k3sp2
17:52
?
17:54
<whiprush>
not currently no.
17:54
we connect a bunch of stuff to the ldap though
17:54
web apps and stuff
17:55
bbl
17:55
<john_s>
bye
17:55john_s has left #ltsp
18:07mopey has joined #ltsp
18:13jammcq has joined #ltsp
18:16
<mopey>
So I've been trying to get usb working on the clients for the last couple hours. Mostly just playing with lts.conf
18:16
It still does the same thing, mounting cdrom and floppy but not usb.
18:16
Any ideas?
18:17
<vagrantc>
everybody always seem to have the opposite problem.
18:17
<mopey>
hehe.
18:17
<vagrantc>
there's nothing in lts.conf that would change that ... it's gotta be something in udev
18:19
<mopey>
The options I was playing with were mostly just loading the usb modules, HOTPLUG = y, LOCAL_STORAGE = y, etc.
18:20
<vagrantc>
neither of those are supported in LTSP5
18:20
and if cdroms are mounting, it's enabled.
18:20
<mopey>
Yeah, just a shot in the dark.
18:20
<vagrantc>
(well, i think we finally included backwards compatibility support for LOCAL_STORAGE)
18:26
<lns>
Hey can anyone tell me if the AMD Geode / CS5535 video chipset is supported in LTSP, and if so, what video driver? I'm getting a blank screen when booting.
18:27str4nd has joined #ltsp
18:41otavio has joined #ltsp
18:56vagrantc has quit IRC
19:14sbalneav has joined #ltsp
19:14
<sbalneav>
evening
19:17
<jammcq>
!s
19:17
<ltspbot>
jammcq: "s" is Scotty!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
19:18
<sbalneav>
hey jammcq
19:26lambda has quit IRC
19:31
<cliebow>
ho
19:33
<jammcq>
lns: I think 'nsc' is the driver you need
19:33
cliebow: howdie
19:33
<lns>
jammcq, thanks buddy - i actually found that and just tried it, but no dice =(
19:37
<jammcq>
what resolution are you trying to do?
19:40edgarin has joined #ltsp
19:40
<cliebow>
i tthink i use nsc on the cyrix geode
19:43
<lns>
you know its strange, the screen blanks at about 1/5 through the graphical ubuntu progress bar
19:43
almost where you'd expect it to go to 80x24 mode to print console msgs
19:43
and i can't alt+ctrl+F1 to go to a console either
19:44
any ideas?
19:44
<jammcq>
edit your pxelinux.cfg/default file, remove the 'usplash quiet'
19:44
then reboot the client
19:44
<lns>
i've tried XSERVER = nsc, ati, atimisc, and (none) all to no avail
19:44
jammcq, ok
19:45
there's no 'usplash', is that ok?
19:45
just "DEFAULT vmlinuz ro initrd=initrd.img quiet splash"
19:45
oh..guess splash is the same thing..? =p
19:46
damn i love talking with you guys...haha
19:46
this is actually fun..and im not even getting paid for it =p
19:46jsgotangco has joined #ltsp
19:48
<jammcq>
that's funny, neither are we :)
19:49
<lns>
well i figured ;)
19:50
ok, still no dice, but now it's just cycling through trying to start X
19:50
and i can at least see the console
19:50
i can try different XSERVER args while it's cycling through each time, right?
19:50
<jammcq>
hmm, you are using ltsp-5, that's quite different
19:51
<lns>
yeah
19:57
<cliebow>
lns:it is futile but for the hell of it try vesa
20:01
<lns>
ok
20:04
no dice...weird now, i get a totally locked thinclient with solid cursor in upper-left corner
20:04
<cliebow>
comment out quiet splash so you can see whaat is happening
20:05
<lns>
yeah its saying 'no screens found' in the X logs...
20:05
at least it was before this happened =p
20:05
it's ok to chroot /opt/ltsp/i386 ; sudo passwd right?
20:05
i've done that in the past
20:05
<cliebow>
prob wont help since the x piece is hiddne..you are beyond where that would help
20:09
<lns>
still locking up..i'm gonna take a break...bbl
20:09
thx for the help =)
20:37jsgotangco has quit IRC
20:53freemind has joined #ltsp
21:03
<lns>
back...yeah this is real weird, now the client completely locks up w/the solid cursor in upper-left
22:03otavio has quit IRC
22:12freemind has quit IRC
22:23sbalneav has quit IRC
22:28sbalneav has joined #ltsp
22:28
<sbalneav>
Back
23:28Egyptian[Home] has joined #ltsp
23:28
<Egyptian[Home]>
23:35edgarin has quit IRC